Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 786724 times)

Dan

• WBA Coach

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #4100 on: March 28, 2023, 04:14:38 PM »
Elite centre forwards are almost a dying breed in football. Haaland of course is breaking all sorts of records this season, and Osmihen is getting a lot of hype in Italy but these are very much exceptions to the rule.

If you look at the top ranked nations - how many of the main competitors - Brazil, Argentina, France, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Croatia have a world class centre forward? I would say none. Most - if they even play a traditional forward - are functional centre forwards who are more team players than anything. Wide forwards have replaced centre forwards as the main source of goals for most teams.

So I don't think the inevitable decline of Kane with no "world class" replacement is necessarily crucial, though it may be a case that England have to think much less traditionally over the hero number 9 role.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4101 on: March 29, 2023, 01:36:15 PM »
Definitely some credibility in what you say about the role changing/becoming less of the key player, although i'd argue the likes of Belgium and Italy have had elite level centre forwards in recent years while Germany and Spain have struggled due to their lack of one.

If you don't have a top centre forward though you need to substitute it with a top, top all round forward, see Messi, Mbappe, Ronaldo and Neymar who were the defacto lead forward who negated the need for a goalscoring striker for their country. That's why if we don't get a Kane replacement, we're going to need Rashford to become our version of that, which means he needs to consistently do what he has done this season.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4102 on: May 16, 2023, 11:13:56 PM »
Folarin Balogun has officially switched allegiance to play for the USA. One of the slightly more farcical international switches given the fact he was born there while his parents were on holiday, would have been a bit more understanding had he chosen Nigeria.

Leaves England with a bit of a gaping hole appearing once Kane retires.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4103 on: July 02, 2023, 05:44:44 PM »
England u21s beating Portugal in the quarter final of u21 euros. We play some nice stuff but also take a lot of chances at the back.  We haven’t conceded a goal yet in the tournament though mind.

Harwood-Bellis and Jacob Ramsey look the most likely to get near the first team squad some time soon imo

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4104 on: July 02, 2023, 05:51:43 PM »
Folarin Balogun has officially switched allegiance to play for the USA. One of the slightly more farcical international switches given the fact he was born there while his parents were on holiday, would have been a bit more understanding had he chosen Nigeria.

Leaves England with a bit of a gaping hole appearing once Kane retires.

The u21s don’t even play with a recognised striker so yeah it’s potentially a big problem when Kane starts to fade.  Toney might be a decent stop gap for a tournament or two but we need someone to emerge for 2028.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4105 on: July 02, 2023, 07:28:42 PM »
Only watched the second half of the U21s. On that second half performance I feel we can consider ourselves very fortunate to have progressed to the semis.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4106 on: July 02, 2023, 07:46:58 PM »
Only watched the second half of the U21s. On that second half performance I feel we can consider ourselves very fortunate to have progressed to the semis.

Agreed. We were the better side first half but not dominate. Portugal were far better in the second and certainly deserved to at least take it to extra times

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4107 on: July 03, 2023, 10:27:53 AM »
There's an argument to say it was what some analysts call "gane state". I heard that referenced a few times post world cuo, when England lost to France. We dominated the game, but how much of that was down to France having the lead and looking to manage the lead that way? It was still a bit too hairy, but international football can be like that I guess.

What is promising is that we haven't conceeded a goal, hinting that the defence is doing well. We have a weakness at the back at international level, with only John Stones being in the world class category in Central defence (especially with Southgate not rating Tomori, Maguire going backwards and Guehi still having a way to go). Colwill and Harwood-Bellis both had amazing seasons just gone and could be England's defence within 5 years. That's promising.

Hopefully Harvey Elliot is back for the semi final, we have a few players out suspended.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4108 on: July 03, 2023, 10:41:59 AM »
Difficult to see how we've managed to not concede based on that second half performance. The defence was all over the place at times. Luckily for us their forwards looked like they'd struggle to finish an icecream before it melted.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4109 on: July 05, 2023, 09:14:38 PM »
The u21s best Israel 3-0 to get to the final. At present it’ll be vs Spain who are beating Ukraine 3-1.

I didn’t see it but stats make the England win look quite dominant. We also missed a penalty in the first half.  Finals Saturday at 5pm.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 09:17:12 PM by johnny Cash »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4110 on: July 06, 2023, 02:09:28 PM »
The u21s best Israel 3-0 to get to the final. At present it’ll be vs Spain who are beating Ukraine 3-1.

I didn’t see it but stats make the England win look quite dominant. We also missed a penalty in the first half.  Finals Saturday at 5pm.

I'll have a gander at the final on the UEFA channel..... provided I remember we're on.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4111 on: July 08, 2023, 05:17:55 PM »
I'll have a gander at the final on the UEFA channel..... provided I remember we're on.

U21 Euro Final between England and Spain currently live on Channel Four.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4112 on: July 08, 2023, 07:01:37 PM »
A minute away from going the whole tournament without conceeding and we concede a penalty

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4113 on: July 08, 2023, 07:02:53 PM »
Trafford saves!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4114 on: July 09, 2023, 09:34:41 AM »
Trafford saves!

....... and England win...... but how much diving, play acting and gamesmanship? I know a win's a win and we're trying to promote a winning mentality but that was a hard watch at times. Still, there were some good performances so onwards  8) .

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4115 on: July 09, 2023, 05:03:39 PM »
I would be interested to know how many under 21s played in the final
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4116 on: August 16, 2023, 10:47:34 AM »
come on the lionesses
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4117 on: August 16, 2023, 12:55:15 PM »
Fair play, 3-1 win. On to Spain in the final.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 01:15:43 PM by gazberg »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4118 on: August 16, 2023, 01:09:13 PM »
Another final, another chance to continue the growing winning culture in English football. That's the biggest positive of all of this for me. Hemp sensational again.

Attention has to turn to Sarina Weigman now though.

Took a second division Dutch side to a cup final win, then had a league and Cup double at Ado Den Haag.

Takes over an unfancied Dutch side and they win the Euros, following it up with a World Cup final loss 2 years later. Next tournament, another underperforming side in England, wins the Euros, and onto her 4th tournament, a world cup, another final. 4 out of 4. No manager I know of in world football has that sort of record in the modern game.

At some point, a top mens side are going to take the gamble on a manager who has a quite freakish record now. 6 jobs, 6 major successes.
Boing Boing

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4119 on: August 16, 2023, 01:23:56 PM »
What a team to beat Aussied on their home ground, if thry ein on Sunday and i think they will, they go fown in history as true greats, outplsyed Australia, brilliant goals, love Hemp

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4120 on: August 16, 2023, 02:05:21 PM »
What a team to beat Aussied on their home ground, if thry ein on Sunday and i think they will, they go fown in history as true greats, outplsyed Australia, brilliant goals, love Hemp

judging by your spelling, you've been smoking it!  :D

that's a joke by the way.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4121 on: August 16, 2023, 02:40:59 PM »
judging by your spelling, you've been smoking it!  :D

that's a joke by the way.

Bill and Ben liked "Weed".

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4122 on: August 16, 2023, 03:45:42 PM »

Bill and Ben liked "Weed".
Anyone under the age of  55 is thinking  I wonder who Bill and Ben are and why they like weed.
There was a shorter reply but needs must!
Congrats to the ladies a great performance.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4123 on: August 16, 2023, 03:47:04 PM »
Predictives for you Hill!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4124 on: August 16, 2023, 05:23:36 PM »
Another final, another chance to continue the growing winning culture in English football. That's the biggest positive of all of this for me. Hemp sensational again.

Attention has to turn to Sarina Weigman now though.

Took a second division Dutch side to a cup final win, then had a league and Cup double at Ado Den Haag.

Takes over an unfancied Dutch side and they win the Euros, following it up with a World Cup final loss 2 years later. Next tournament, another underperforming side in England, wins the Euros, and onto her 4th tournament, a world cup, another final. 4 out of 4. No manager I know of in world football has that sort of record in the modern game.

At some point, a top mens side are going to take the gamble on a manager who has a quite freakish record now. 6 jobs, 6 major successes.

Without sounding disrespectful, I don't think it really works like that. Women's football is worse than non-league in terms of quality and it's much easier for managers to break records and look incredible at the lower levels where understandably the game has less talented managers. I remember the Cowley brothers looked incredible in the lower leagues but are league one managers at best. Even Chris Wilder's CV is really incredible at a lower level and he's probably a solid Championship manager but no more.

My point being, perhaps a league one or two club may go after her but in terms of top clubs, I highly doubt it. And rightly so. As said, I hope that doesn't sound rude and it's not to take away from her achievements either.