Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 786741 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #3750 on: July 28, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »
That because you are comparing it to men's football.

Womens football is just womens football.

Agreed but it's also a poor standard. We are allowed to compare, that's how we define quality, through comparison.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3751 on: July 28, 2022, 01:26:09 PM »
It's only poor standard if you are comparing it to the mens game.

Do people watch races in athletics and think how poor standard the womens races are because they don't get the time the men do?

I tend to agree. The elite men's game is of an extraordinarily high standard, it's the most played ball game in the world and the top few divisions host the vast majority of the world's best players.

If you watch non league football or under 23 football and you like football for what it is, you will still enjoy it, even if it isn't as flawless as the Men's elite game. The same goes for the Women. If you don't enjoy the women's game, it may be that your love of football has more to do with "the event" rather than the actual sport (and there is of course nothing wrong with that as it is entertainment after all - I'm the same with sports ike golf, I like the majors and the ryder cup but a standard European tour event doesn't really interest me).
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3752 on: July 28, 2022, 01:27:51 PM »
It's only poor standard if you are comparing it to the mens game.

Do people watch races in athletics and think how poor standard the womens races are because they don't get the time the men do?

No. I for one have never based comments on the women's game in comparison to the men's. If there was no men's football the standard of the women's game wouldn't be any greater.

It's come a long way. It's improved. But it's generally poor in its own right. That's nothing to do with what we see from the men. And this is international level football. Apparently.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3753 on: July 28, 2022, 01:28:54 PM »
For clarification i'm not comparing it to an elite mens game. It's absolutely nowhere near that.

Womens football is more of a higher amateur level, maybe semi-pro at the very top.

It's absolutely nowhere near any level of male professional football and that is not what i'm comparing it too.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3754 on: July 28, 2022, 01:30:26 PM »
I tend to agree. The elite men's game is of an extraordinarily high standard, it's the most played ball game in the world and the top few divisions host the vast majority of the world's best players.

If you watch non league football or under 23 football and you like football for what it is, you will still enjoy it, even if it isn't as flawless as the Men's elite game. The same goes for the Women. If you don't enjoy the women's game, it may be that your love of football has more to do with "the event" rather than the actual sport (and there is of course nothing wrong with that as it is entertainment after all - I'm the same with sports ike golf, I like the majors and the ryder cup but a standard European tour event doesn't really interest me).

Not wearing that.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3755 on: July 28, 2022, 01:31:26 PM »
For clarification i'm not comparing it to an elite mens game. It's absolutely nowhere near that.

Womens football is more of a higher amateur level, maybe semi-pro at the very top.

It's absolutely nowhere near any level of male professional football and that is not what i'm comparing it too.

But there are full professional leagues. So if you're not comparing the women's game to the men's game, what are you comparing it to? Other women's team sports?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3756 on: July 28, 2022, 01:34:13 PM »
Not wearing that.

Me neither, absolute tosh!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3757 on: July 28, 2022, 01:35:28 PM »
But there are full professional leagues. So if you're not comparing the women's game to the men's game, what are you comparing it to? Other women's team sports?

Based on my experience of playing, the stuff i saw in last nights game was on par with say Premier division Sunday League standard  (very good amateurs with a few semi-pros thrown in). Not in terms of speed/strength but of quality of ball played etc.

I am not saying womens footy is poor in comparison to mens, thats a given, what i am saying is that womens football is poor in it's own right if you don't watch mens professional football.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3758 on: July 28, 2022, 02:08:33 PM »
Based on my experience of playing, the stuff i saw in last nights game was on par with say Premier division Sunday League standard  (very good amateurs with a few semi-pros thrown in). Not in terms of speed/strength but of quality of ball played etc.

I am not saying womens footy is poor in comparison to mens, thats a given, what i am saying is that womens football is poor in it's own right if you don't watch mens professional football.

But in your first paragraph you literally compare the standard with men's football...you say the best women's teams are at the same standard of high amateur/semi-pro teams.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3759 on: July 28, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »
But in your first paragraph you literally compare the standard with men's football...you say the best women's teams are at the same standard of high amateur/semi-pro teams.

Feels a bit pedantic but ok, i'm not comparing womens football to mens PROFESSIONAL football. I have stated that but not in my original first few posts admittedly, i genuinely thought that was a given though. The difference is quality is so wide they cannot be compared.

So what i did was base my judgement of womens football on was on my personal experience. Hopefully that makes sense.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3760 on: July 28, 2022, 05:32:38 PM »
I watched England vs Sweden and was impressed from the beginning they even sing the National anthem!.
I thought the movement was good the effort you couldn't fault the lack of players rolling around as if they had been shot was refreshing infact I enjoyed it more than watching the men.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3761 on: July 28, 2022, 06:29:22 PM »
I watched England vs Sweden and was impressed from the beginning they even sing the National anthem!.
I thought the movement was good the effort you couldn't fault the lack of players rolling around as if they had been shot was refreshing infact I enjoyed it more than watching the men.

Totally agree with you and the part highlighted in particular. The men could learnt a lot from them.
MAGA!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3762 on: July 28, 2022, 06:36:25 PM »
Bryan Robson v Liverpool 1980/81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j8h8KdJn6A

about 3 mins 40

Cheers Oldbury, a great watch and a great team.......
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3763 on: August 22, 2022, 05:02:29 PM »
Ellen White has announced her immediate retirement from Womens Football.

A wonderful player and Englands all time leading goalscorer.

Very best wishes for the future in whatever direction it takes you and thank you for your services and for help raising the profile of the Womens Game
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3764 on: August 22, 2022, 06:56:56 PM »

Very best wishes for the future in whatever direction it takes you and thank you for your services and for help raising the profile of the Womens Game
I'm sure that she will be very happy to read your kind words next time she logs on to this forum  ;D

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3765 on: August 22, 2022, 10:11:02 PM »

I read the headline on Facebook, had no idea who she was…..now that I do, I still wouldn’t spot her in the street .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3766 on: August 22, 2022, 11:53:22 PM »
Worthy of a minutes applause. I’ve just done mine. More swatting at mosquitoes though. 😅
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3767 on: August 23, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
Another one of England Womens greats is retiring from football

Jill Scott, at aged 35, has made the decision to retire on a high after helping the England team win Euro 2022

Jill made 161 appearances for England, scoring 27 goals

Thank you for your service to your country and best wishes for the future, in whichever direction your career takes you

#Lionesses 👍⚽️👍
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3768 on: September 15, 2022, 01:10:42 PM »
Ivan toney set to be announced in England squad for first time. Cracking signing at 5m+5m, Bilic got us Grant for 15m instead.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3769 on: September 15, 2022, 02:07:48 PM »
Yep, Toney in, Dier back, Henderson in too

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3770 on: September 23, 2022, 06:37:03 PM »
Toney left out the matchday squad.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3771 on: September 23, 2022, 09:14:41 PM »
Why must the managers of both of my teams be so awful

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3772 on: September 23, 2022, 10:12:56 PM »
Why must the managers of both of my teams be so awful

I can't believe how average we look with the players he has at his disposal.
Smethwick..

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3773 on: September 23, 2022, 10:34:35 PM »
I can't believe how average we look with the players he has at his disposal.

He’s about the only manager I wouldn’t trade Bruce for in fairness. I use the term manager extremely loosely

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3774 on: September 23, 2022, 11:24:08 PM »
Southgate has never been a good manager. Both routes to the World Cup semi and Euro final were extremely favourable and I think most managers would have seen us through.  We’ve never won a tough game and the only big elite nation we’ve beat in a tournament (Germany) were a shadow of their usual selves when we beat them.

I’ve said it before, but the Brazil, Portugal and Germany sides that have put us out of other tournaments this century would have beat a GS team comfortably.

Nationals league semi final, Belgium in the WC group, Croatia, Italy. Any real test we have had we have lost and now it’s 550 minutes without a goal in open play and 400 plus minutes without a goal at all.

We will probably out the group, but the moment we face a test we will lose and GS will make excuses.