Author Topic: WBA - Tyler Roberts sold to Leeds  (Read 27013 times)

Brombo97

• Junior Baggie

Re: WBA - Tyler Roberts
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
Remind me, how much did we pay for the unproven Oliver Burke?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 05:31:06 PM »
Remind me, how much did we pay for the unproven Oliver Burke?
£15 million. What's your point?
Young players may not yet be ready for the first team of a Premiership club, but they all have a value based on their potential for the future. it is up to the professional people at the club to use their expertise to assess that potential and decide its value to the club. They assessed Burke as having a very bright future and were therefore willing to spend big to bring him to the club, even though he is not yet deemed ready for the first team. They will do the same with Roberts, Leko and all the other youngsters. That's what they are paid to do. Time will tell if their judgement on individual young players was right or not, but I can't think of many (or indeed any off the top of my head) in the last 20 years or so that the club have released and we have later regretted it, so I am happy to trust their judgement one way or the other.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
£15 million. What's your point?
Young players may not yet be ready for the first team of a Premiership club, but they all have a value based on their potential for the future. it is up to the professional people at the club to use their expertise to assess that potential and decide its value to the club. They assessed Burke as having a very bright future and were therefore willing to spend big to bring him to the club, even though he is not yet deemed ready for the first team. They will do the same with Roberts, Leko and all the other youngsters. That's what they are paid to do. Time will tell if their judgement on individual young players was right or not, but I can't think of many (or indeed any off the top of my head) in the last 20 years or so that the club have released and we have later regretted it, so I am happy to trust their judgement one way or the other.

Interesting point - 1 can't think of any in the last 20years, I'm sure there are some?
The only players I can think that have improved after leaving us in my lifetime supporting the Baggies is Asa Hartford and Bryan Robson.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »

Interesting point - 1 can't think of any in the last 20years, I'm sure there are some?
The only players I can think that have improved after leaving us in my lifetime supporting the Baggies is Asa Hartford and Bryan Robson.
only one I can think of off the top of my head in the last 20 is Ashley Williams. Let go at 16, let go at Hednesford. Now Wales international and Everton player.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Gabbidon improved. He made it to the Orem before we did I believe.

Roofe has improved, but not to a level we would need now. I’m sure enzo improved too, but he may be outside 20 years now since he left us. Examples are few and far between though

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 07:22:36 PM »

Did Robson improve?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »
Did Robson improve?
Just became more experienced in my opinion. Bear in mind he had already played for England before he left us.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »
Just became more experienced in my opinion. Bear in mind he had already played for England before he left us.
That's what I thought.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »

David Burrows? Carlton Palmer? Kevin Kilbane? Chris Whyte?
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2018, 09:50:22 PM »

Yes, you are possibly right - gained experience, also with a higher profile club.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
Move this back towards Roberts please gents
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
Gabbidon improved. He made it to the Orem before we did I believe.

That one still rankles. I remember seeing a couple of his only games for us, and thinking the lad had something, only for him to get bombed out.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
That one still rankles. I remember seeing a couple of his only games for us, and thinking the lad had something, only for him to get bombed out.
To move this back towards Roberts, I think he's got presence, I think we need to give him a go.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
I honestly don't think you'll see this kid start a game for the rest of this season.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »
media reports suggest a few Italian clubs are showing interest in Roberts.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/921345702?-11200:789
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/921343480?-11200:789

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
I'd love to see what this lad can do and what all the hype about. I hope we don't lose a potentially very good player down to poor contract management. Can't really comment as I've never seen him play but the teams that are being linked suggest he has something.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »
I'd love to see what this lad can do and what all the hype about. I hope we don't lose a potentially very good player down to poor contract management. Can't really comment as I've never seen him play but the teams that are being linked suggest he has something.
we don’t know if it is poor contract management, by the sound of it we’ve made him an excellent offer and it’s more than likely his agent that’s the issue.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 10:20:10 PM »
we don’t know if it is poor contract management, by the sound of it we’ve made him an excellent offer and it’s more than likely his agent that’s the issue.

My point was letting it get to this point. Surely someone so rated would be offered a contract in advance of a half a year before expiring? As I said can't really comment as I haven't seen any of him, just going by the rumours and calibre of some clubs linked

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »
Surprised he was not on the bench last night, given all the flu cases we had.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »
My point was letting it get to this point. Surely someone so rated would be offered a contract in advance of a half a year before expiring? As I said can't really comment as I haven't seen any of him, just going by the rumours and calibre of some clubs linked
that’s my point, we don’t know whether he has been offered contracts before the last 6mobths of his contract, for all we know we could have been making offers for the last 2 years and his agent has been saying no. We’ve offered a 19yr old 10k per week with no premier league experience, on the basis he hasn’t signed that deal I’d say the issue is his agent.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »
Surprised he was not on the bench last night, given all the flu cases we had.
He's cup tied, played for Walsall in the first round.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
I'd love to see what this lad can do and what all the hype about. I hope we don't lose a potentially very good player down to poor contract management.
I'm not sure who's hyping him apart from some people here? He went to Walsall, didn't do much and was substituted in 8 of his 11 starts there. It doesn't exactly suggest that we've got a future star Prem player on our hands.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »

I don't think Asa improved he was brilliant as an 18yr old  when the mighty Leeds came in for him.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »
Sounds like the lad doesn’t want to be here and maybe thinks he’s a bit better than he really is.
Sell to the highest bidder imo
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
Sounds like the lad doesn’t want to be here and maybe thinks he’s a bit better than he really is.
Sell to the highest bidder imo

Why do you say this? Whats he done or said for you to come to that conclusion?

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts