Author Topic: Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and Me  (Read 8817 times)

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and Me
« on: November 10, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »
This might be an interesting programme?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902953
Date: Sunday, 12 November. Time: 22:30-23:30 GMT BBC One.

Continuing to raise awareness of the link between heading footballs and dementia, as the Jeff Astle Foundation has been doing for many years.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and Me
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
This might be an interesting programme?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902953
Date: Sunday, 12 November. Time: 22:30-23:30 GMT BBC One.

Continuing to raise awareness of the link between heading footballs and dementia, as the Jeff Astle Foundation has been doing for many years.

I really rate the previews of this. Shearer has looked ace in this and I hope that this is a - pardon any pun - a real game changer.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
Never a fan of Mr Shearer as a pundit. As a player, He was an opponent so can't bring myself to give him the credit he certainly deserves, but looking back a good player and excellent goal scorer. Well done Alan for taking on this subject, and hopefully helping to get more done by those in power. Will certainly be watching

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:51:44 PM »
Very interesting so far. Anyone else watching?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:57:41 PM »
Yep very interesting. E.G the old leather balls actually weighed less (when dry) than today's offerings !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:03:31 PM »
Yep very interesting. E.G the old leather balls actually weighed less (when dry) than today's offerings !!

Yep, and then nearly 50% heavier when wet. The brain-wave test immediately after heading the ball a few times was worrying. Especially what could happen over a long period.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
Wonder how long that took to put together as we were still sponsored by Quick Books during it
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 01:57:24 AM »
Did it mention the time when the powers that be at the Albion didn't allow fundraising or highlighting the case inside the ground a few years back. I thought that was really poor and was a part of the divide between fans and the club for myself.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:09:55 AM »
Did it mention the time when the powers that be at the Albion didn't allow fundraising or highlighting the case inside the ground a few years back. I thought that was really poor and was a part of the divide between fans and the club for myself.

This has been covered many times and isn't really relevant given the context of this thread. This is a thread to talk about the TV programme and the wider debate of dementia in football.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:23:22 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »
Quite an interesting watch, it was hardly an expose but you could sense Shearers frustration that more has not been done. With the amount of money swilling about in the game you'd expect better progress in understanding the issue than is already evident? A nicely tanned Gordon Taylor for the PFA, came over as totally disconnected from the people he is supposed to represent.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »
Does make you wonder where this will lead. If it can be proven that heading significantly increases the risk of brain damage then this could change the game forever. The USA have already banned heading for younger kids, which, if rolled out globally, will have an impact long term on the way the game is played, with the ball spending less time in the air.
Could heading even be outlawed completely?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:09 AM »
Imagine a game where the ball was below head height only  :o

Pulis would be screwed  ;D

I recorded the programme last night so will be watching tonight

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »
Imagine a game where the ball was below head height only  :o

Pulis would be screwed  ;D

I recorded the programme last night so will be watching tonight

I was about to add that myself! Ass much as i can't stand football where the ball is heavily focused on being in the air i do enjoy a perfect headed goal, and watching some of Shearer's and Astle's last night was great, but obviously tinged with sadness.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
Hopefully it will be up on the iPlayer in the next day or two as I really want to give it a watch.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »
Quite an interesting watch, it was hardly an expose but you could sense Shearers frustration that more has not been done. With the amount of money swilling about in the game you'd expect better progress in understanding the issue than is already evident? A nicely tanned Gordon Taylor for the PFA, came over as totally disconnected from the people he is supposed to represent.

Did you see the carpet with PFA motif weaved into it !? My wife thought he worked for the FA and said she was disgusted by his attitude, when I told her "no love, he is the players union rep" she was totally incredulous.
At 72 years of age, he is another Dinosaur that needs putting out to grass - Embarrassment to football.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
I think it highlighted the lack of support for ex players who may be suffering. The interview with shearer's ex manager was particularly eye-opening when he was refusing to go to the doctors.

Also seemed as though nothing really is being done again despite all the talking. I picked up from the interview with the woman at the end where shearer directly asked 'so what are you actually doing' and her response started with 'we'd like to...'. Was a little annoyed he didn't press her about it and ask why nothing appeared to be actually getting done again.

The default answer given by most of the interviewees throughout seemed to be 'well without the proper evidence we can't really say or do much', yet there seemed a reluctance to actually gather this evidence. All felt a bit 'not our fault we can only go with the facts' to me, with a lot of shifting of blame to fifa.

Whilst I respected shearer for doing the programme and thought he came across well, I think it could have benefited from a stronger interviewer to really press for answers. As such, I've got more questions now than before I watched the programme
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:47:09 PM by TheBrom »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »
It was stated that a lot of the ball is now played along the ground and there isn't so much chance to head the ball.
Pulis style is just the opposite, and that is why he relies on set pieces and the players HAVE to head the ball.
It shows that he is way behind the times and is a dinosaur in this game.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
Hopefully it will be up on the iPlayer in the next day or two as I really want to give it a watch.

In case you haven't checked, it's available now for 26 days.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:31 AM »
In case you haven't checked, it's available now for 26 days.

Thanks Hull. Will give it a watch at the weekend. Wish I had better signal inside the Hawthorns, I would watch it during the game.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 09:38:35 PM »
Thanks Hull. Will give it a watch at the weekend. Wish I had better signal inside the Hawthorns, I would watch it during the game.

You can download from the iPlayer app on your phone I believe. Could always do that on the Wi-Fi at home and then watch at the Hawthorns!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
You can download from the iPlayer app on your phone I believe. Could always do that on the Wi-Fi at home and then watch at the Hawthorns!
And watch as Pulis still keeps HOOFING high balls to our players.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »

You  are my God.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 09:26:33 AM »
"Ex-football stars with dementia 'forgotten' by authorities"

This issue rumbles

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44253664
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 09:21:58 PM »
Think football like other sports has to tighten up further. I've seen several games where there are head clashes (including QPR v Watford tonight). While it's good that the general rule is that refs stop play straight away, generally it's the  case of a few minutes treatment on the pitch and then straight back on. With a significant clash, players should be forced to go off and have a head injury assessment with an independent medical official. As in rugby, temporary substitutions should be allowed for this injury only.

Was it last year that Dawson and Hegazi clashed and played on. Hegazi clearly didn't know where he was at full time. If you play on concussed, it could be very serious if you have another head blow.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 11:53:37 PM »
Think football like other sports has to tighten up further. I've seen several games where there are head clashes (including QPR v Watford tonight). While it's good that the general rule is that refs stop play straight away, generally it's the  case of a few minutes treatment on the pitch and then straight back on. With a significant clash, players should be forced to go off and have a head injury assessment with an independent medical official. As in rugby, temporary substitutions should be allowed for this injury only.

Was it last year that Dawson and Hegazi clashed and played on. Hegazi clearly didn't know where he was at full time. If you play on concussed, it could be very serious if you have another head blow.

Rugby League has this down to a fine art. We should not be taking a risk with players long term health.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.