Author Topic: Law changes suggested.  (Read 2406 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Law changes suggested.
« on: June 17, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »
Most of these apply to trying to combat time-wasting. The document says match officials should be stricter on the rule which allows keepers to hold the ball for six seconds and be more stringent when calculating additional time. (Pulis has to change his strategy of Foster holding onto the ball).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Law changes suggested.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »
I did think of Pulis when I saw this. I think in one of our matches vs Arsenal we alone managed to keep the ball out of play for something like 20% of the 90 minutes (that doesn't include when Arsenal had it out of play).

'Self pass' occurs in field hockey, and makes the game much more fast paced as the play can be restarted straightaway.

Not sure on getting rid of 90 minutes and having a game clock that is constantly stopping.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »
Stopping the clock when the ball is out of play has it's good side but -  it might stop wasting actual time on the clock but it won't stop a team slowing down and disrupting the flow of the game.
If a team is under constant pressure and in need of a breather, they can still waste time, get that breather and stop the momentum the opponents are building. It just won't run the clock down further.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »
Stopping the clock when the ball is out of play has it's good side but -  it might stop wasting actual time on the clock but it won't stop a team slowing down and disrupting the flow of the game.
If a team is under constant pressure and in need of a breather, they can still waste time, get that breather and stop the momentum the opponents are building. It just won't run the clock down further.

Plus the fact that do you want to be at one of our games for any longer than 90 minutes?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
Suspect this is preparing the ground for stoppages for video technology etc.

HamsteadHarry

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »
I like the idea of the "self-pass'. Free kicks take so long to get taken these days with all the defensive organisation, l8n8ng up etc.The idea of being able to keep the game flowing is a good one.

I hadn't realised that the ball was only in play for an hour- crikey the cost per minute has just gone up! !☺

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »
Sounds to me like someone went to watch an ice hockey match then came back wanting to implement all their rules