Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5163720 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14050 on: March 20, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
Counter attacking football is our game. The major part of our game is a long ball to Rondon who then lays it off to people running down the channels. We do sometimes thread the ball through the channels, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Our strengths lie in working hard & being organised, particularly at set pieces.

Where we're better this season, is, in Johnny Evans we have a centre back who can play an accurate long pass, Olsson couldn't.

Arsenal played into our hands on Saturday, they played a high line which meant getting behind them was easier, they also never pressed us at all, something that most other teams have done at the Hawthorns this season.

I was at the game & I did watch MOTD, I thought Brunt's pass to McLean was exquisite, but I also watched Rondon struggle for 45 minutes trying to make something happen from a series of long passes.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14051 on: March 20, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
Counter attacking football is our game. The major part of our game is a long ball to Rondon who then lays it off to people running down the channels. We do sometimes thread the ball through the channels, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Our strengths lie in working hard & being organised, particularly at set pieces.

Where we're better this season, is, in Johnny Evans we have a centre back who can play an accurate long pass, Olsson couldn't.

Arsenal played into our hands on Saturday, they played a high line which meant getting behind them was easier, they also never pressed us at all, something that most other teams have done at the Hawthorns this season.

I was at the game & I did watch MOTD, I thought Brunt's pass to McLean was exquisite, but I also watched Rondon struggle for 45 minutes trying to make something happen from a series of long passes.

Think when this happens, you can see how much of a big part of our game this is and we tend to struggle until we change it up a bit. If Rondon is having one of his days where it all bounces off him, we struggle and the ball comes straight back at us more often than not

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14052 on: March 20, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »
Whatever you think of how Rondon played and the way we were playing as a team, we still had approx. 5 shots on target 1st half to 1 or 2 for Arsenal.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14053 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »
Ok baggie john we will beg to differ but at least we are starting to look a useful outfit and we all nve Baggies to heart

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14054 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
Ok baggie john we will beg to differ but at least we are starting to look a useful outfit and we all nve Baggies to heart
He is indeed mate. I had the pleasure of watching a game with him around the Bryan Robson/Mowbray era.
He is very analytical about the game/club as you can see by the quality of his posts.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14055 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »
There are a lot of good posters on here [I`m not one ] I hate fan`s running us down as you may have noticed but some are very articulate. The only thing that really gets `s my back up is the constant knocking of TP WE were in free fall when he took over not only has he stablised us he has taken the club forward we now play a decent brand of counter attacking football and are slowly getting the right players to take us forward but still some fans want him out. Don`t think they will ever be happy

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14056 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »
There are a lot of good posters on here [I`m not one ] I hate fan`s running us down as you may have noticed but some are very articulate. The only thing that really gets `s my back up is the constant knocking of TP WE were in free fall when he took over not only has he stablised us he has taken the club forward we now play a decent brand of counter attacking football and are slowly getting the right players to take us forward but still some fans want him out. Don`t think they will ever be happy
Yes much the way I have always thought. I used to get a lot of flack from posters who now complain of getting flack! When their dire predictions have not come to the result they seemed to desire. Some people know when a good builder is brought in some cannot see the wood.
You obviously have a sound grasp of what was needed.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14057 on: March 21, 2017, 12:55:55 AM »
From John Percy in the Telegraph. TP to be offered a new contract and it looks like we are off to Asia in the summer.

Tony Pulis to be offered new West Brom contract this summer
West Brom are on course for their best Premier League points total
20 MARCH 2017 • 10:30PM
Tony Pulis will be offered a new contract by West Bromwich Albion this summer, as the club close in on their best ever Premier League points total.

Pulis is set for talks with chairman John Williams at the end of the season and is expected to agree improved terms, less than 12 months after signing his last deal.

The Albion head coach is on the verge of securing a top-ten finish and Williams is pushing for Pulis to be rewarded by the club’s owner Guochuan Lai.

Pulis met with Lai before Saturday’s 3-1 win over Arsenal and is understood to have also held initial discussions over the size of his budget for next season.

Albion spent £10million in January on Hull City midfielder Jake Livermore and funds will be made available again in the summer, with a central defender, striker and winger on the list of targets.

It represents a remarkable turnaround for the Welshman, 59, who was facing calls to be sacked from his own supporters at the start of the season. Albion are on course to beat their highest ever total of 49 points, achieved under Steve Clarke in the 2012/13 season, with nine games left to play.

Pulis said: “The game is all about results irrespective of what people do or don’t say. I have young managers ringing me up now and the advice is simple – you have to win games.

“If you don’t win games you will get criticism. I’ve always been one that accepts that criticism.”

Pulis will also take his squad to Hong Kong and China in July after agreeing to play in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Liverpool, Leicester and super-rich Chinese Super League team Shanghai SIPG are also poised to play in the biennial friendly tournament.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14058 on: March 21, 2017, 02:07:28 AM »
I think it's fair enough to add an extra year, probably helps recruiting players too I imagine.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14059 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »
Good news indeed, exactly what our club needs, stability, to build for the future.
Baggie in Southampton

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14060 on: March 21, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
Pleased that we'd like him to continue with the steady progress he's made.
A bit worried that he thinks we need a centre half, an upgrade would be nice in any position but we NEED a left back; then Nyom can play at right back and Dawson can move into the middle next to Evans with McAuley dropping to the bench.

Agree that we need a striker (or two) and a winger.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14061 on: March 21, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
A bit worried that he thinks we need a centre half, an upgrade would be nice in any position but we NEED a left back; then Nyom can play at right back and Dawson can move into the middle next to Evans with McAuley dropping to the bench.

I actually think Nyom is better at left back, so solid v Arsenal.
Baggie in Southampton

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14062 on: March 21, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »
Hope this is true and I`m sure it is because Percy pretty good on the Albion and I`m sure Mr Lai liked what he saw on Saturday,

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14063 on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
I actually think Nyom is better at left back, so solid v Arsenal.

Pulis has said a number of times that Nyom prefers playing at left back

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14064 on: March 21, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
Pulis has said a number of times that Nyom prefers playing at left back

Hello TheBrom.
You've mentioned this before.

Was it during an interview?
I only ask because I have never seen it in print.

Not implying TP has not said such, but if you have a link to this anywhere it would be greatly appreciated.
Especially as it contradicts Nyom's quote:

“I prefer to play right-back, but playing left-back is nice because I learn a new position. He wants the full-back to attack so I try to attack as much as possible.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2017/03/09/football-a-universal-language-for-west-broms-allan-nyom/

Ed:

Just found this TheBrom:

TP

“The great thing about him is he’s moved from right-back to left-back and done exceptionally well.

“As a matter of fact, the one game we played him at right-back he did better at left-back than he did at right-back for us. He’s done well, we’re really pleased with Allan.”

If this is your source, it's saying that he's done well to adapt as opposed to saying.... 'a number of times that Nyom prefers playing at left back'.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2016/12/30/tony-pulis-says-losing-allan-nyom-for-january-would-be-a-big-blow/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:07:16 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

sturb74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14065 on: March 21, 2017, 01:28:25 PM »
A direct quote from Nyom at a charity event he attended was that "I prefer RB as my left foot isn't very good, but will play were I'm asked"
.....Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14066 on: March 21, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
SmethDan, Pulis said that on the Radio WM phone in:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-broms-tony-pulis-live-12637187

On cult hero Nyom

“He likes playing on the left and right,” says Pulis on the Cameroonian’s best position.

“I think he prefers the left which is strange because he’s right footed.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14067 on: March 21, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-broms-tony-pulis-live-12637187

On cult hero Nyom

“He likes playing on the left and right,” says Pulis on the Cameroonian’s best position.

Yep the radio phone-in was the interview I was referring to. Knew I'd heard it somewhere. Was starting to question myself then!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14068 on: March 21, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »

On cult hero Nyom

Cheers for the link.

Interestingly TP says 'I think he prefers the left which is strange because he's right footed'.

From the quote supplied he doesn't state it as fact.

To be honest I just think Nyom likes being in the team following the fall from grace at Watford.

Fair play to him for making the most of his move  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14069 on: March 21, 2017, 05:31:58 PM »

Would think another CH would be a priority soon, if Olsson departs this summer it leaves Evans, Dawson and McMauley so play any two and one on the bench would leave no cover if an injury or suspension popped up.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14070 on: March 21, 2017, 06:40:28 PM »
Good to see some of his charity work shown in the NBC series. Some of my friends from Stoke still talk about the stuff he continues to do up there for charity.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14071 on: March 22, 2017, 06:55:25 AM »
Would think another CH would be a priority soon, if Olsson departs this summer it leaves Evans, Dawson and McMauley so play any two and one on the bench would leave no cover if an injury or suspension popped up.

I'm sure we'll make Wilson's loan a permanent (even though he hasn't had any game time) and Livermore played as a centre half for Hull earlier this season..and did it very well by all accounts. There's 2 for cover if needed. If a quality centre half becomes available then we'd be daft not to try and sign them but I'd rather we concentrated on areas that are in more urgent need of filling like left back, left wing and striker.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14072 on: March 22, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »
Great news on TP. We are being built into a very solid outfit. Long may it and he continue.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14073 on: March 23, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »
Am i right in remembering that TP put stop to this? Or was it the medical team? Either way well done that man!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39370879
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14074 on: April 01, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »
Yacob for chadil and fletcher going over to help dawson changed the game i think, good work from tony