Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5134723 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14025 on: March 19, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »
We do sometimes have to hit it long and we tend to try and play it in the channels when we do.  It's mainly because we sit deep and hit on the counter.  We certainly aren't a normal long ball team.

I still find it amazing that someone can think Pulis has only done 'ok' though.  We look better now than any other recent time I can remember. If folk aren't happy with how things are then I'm not sure they could have been happy for the last 25 years.

If we were still in the Jeremy Peace era, Tony Pulis has done a marvelous job, but we're not, we're now in a different era. An era where the Chinese nation is expected to put it's stamp on global football.
From that perspective, Pulis has done OK, but longer term, I'm expecting better.

What I'm not expecting is Gauchaun Lai to throw money at it in the hope of a miracle, what I am expecting is constant, sustained improvement. As a consequence of that, at some stage, Tony Pulis, along with a number of other key personell in the organisation, will have outlived their usefulness.

If we've reached a plateau & push on from there then I'm happy, if this is as good as it gets, then no I'm not.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14026 on: March 19, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
It's a bit soon to judge this era, from what I've seen it's more of the same - we've not exactly pushed the boat out.  I think the danger is thinking that this is us as a top 10 team now. We've had a great season, regardless of what happens now, and I think the next stage is for us to make that a regular thing.  It takes time to improve so I think we need to be patient.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14027 on: March 19, 2017, 04:51:25 PM »
Sorry about that B_H_Baggie just defending myself against  a site Donator and senior baggie . and if they watched our style of play over the last few months we use the channel`s a lot more than any long ball with the width of our Full Backs and Winger`s are giving us

Have your opinion and by all means express it, but don't take such a sneering "i'm better than you because i'm a real fan attitude" You might not recognise it, but it's very annoying (as no doubt am I) and achieves naff all but winding folks up.
Anyway thats all I'm going to say on this subject now.

COYB,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14028 on: March 19, 2017, 05:01:22 PM »
I have never been a Pulis fan. I'd be a hypocrite if I suddenly changed my mind, after what I always said watching his Stoke teams come down and drain the life out of the game.  However,  the syle of play is very dependant on the players at your disposal.  I think buying and playing Chadli and Philips makes you more entertaining as a team. Any team fielding this kind of player is going to be more entertaining than one playing with holding players in their places. You thereore have to give TP credit  for bringing them in rather than just standard holding midfielders or defensive wingers.

His tactics though are still mainly about closing the game down, playing very deep, and relying on counters to nick goals. The problem comes when we go behind in a game, because then the opposition can play deeper and our team is not naturally able to dominate the midfield. However, if his system gets the results, as this team is now, and we are not just scoring maximum one goal a game, then he deserves credit. His teams will never be up there as one of the top entertainers in the league, but I hope at least the style of football will improve further, which it will if we invest in some more Chadli or Phillips type players, who can get you out of your seat.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14029 on: March 19, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »
Ok albionic I will try to tone myself down and respect other poster`s opinion`s but please try not to swear at at other poster`s as i find that offensive and not needed. Boing Boing

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14030 on: March 19, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Ok albionic I will try to tone myself down and respect other poster`s opinion`s but please try not to swear at at other poster`s as i find that offensive and not needed. Boing Boing

Sorry chap, didn't realise I had but your right there is no need for that !

SOTV ( dammit i did it again !, sure you'll let that one go though  ;) )
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14031 on: March 19, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »
A**e am I look in the mirror mate and all you`ll see is an a**e I don`t pick and choose matches this a**e goes every wk and does`nt need a**e`s like you to tell what I can and can`t say In my  opinion what I said in that post is totally true If you went to more matches you would find out for yourself. As for daz did read your post properly and gave you the answer it deserved  we do not play direct and we don`t hit pointless punt`s upfield and the way you are criticising our style of play it sounds like your a TP hater. Anyway you can all think what you like won`t `change my opinion
I go to all the games aswell mate but i see a different game to you, do we not boot it long out of defense for Rondon to hold it up for other players to get forward and when he doesn't we are back under pressure again? Or do we play it from the back through midfield then up to the forward? Urh thought not.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14032 on: March 19, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »
I forgot to say, I'm not saying i agree or disagree with the way we play but what i see is totally different to what you see!

boingusmaximus

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #14033 on: March 19, 2017, 07:35:02 PM »
One thing I think the new owners may look at is our inability to attract crowds. We are the only premier league team in the locality, and so there is an opportunity to pick up casual spectators, younger spectators etc. who then may become longer term fans. I suspect we are not doing this, the attendance figures would seem to support that. Pulis style football will not attract neutrals or families looking for a  premier league game experience. We may have one more season as the only representative, fair chance one of the others will do something soon, and an opportunity to attract new fans will have gone.   

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14034 on: March 19, 2017, 09:22:54 PM »
To true you see it different to me even MOTD showed just how well we used the channel`s  you play to your opponent`s weaknesses at that was running the channel`s and corners so each match is different and TP knows how to exploit a lot of teams weaknesses You can keep your possesion football if you use it like Arsenal did they could not get round the back ofus

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14035 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:12 PM »
Did we achieve survival by the end of February? YES
Are we a better side than when TP took over? YES
Are we more attractive to watch than last season? YES
Will we have achieved our highest PL points total? PROBABLY
Do we seem to be making steady progress? YES
And yet there are people still critical. We are building a bit at a time and thats the way we have to do it at a club of our size. It is a gradual process.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14036 on: March 20, 2017, 05:22:27 AM »
Did we achieve survival by the end of February? YES
Are we a better side than when TP took over? YES
Are we more attractive to watch than last season? YES
Will we have achieved our highest PL points total? PROBABLY
Do we seem to be making steady progress? YES
And yet there are people still critical. We are building a bit at a time and thats the way we have to do it at a club of our size. It is a gradual process.
Good post
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

lickey baggies

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #14037 on: March 20, 2017, 06:50:08 AM »
Yes agreed great post above.
I still cannot see or understand some of the negative drivel  put on here but i suppose it's all about opinions and we have to respect that but these people seem to be looking for a reason not to attend, maybe they can't afford it or their missis won't let them I dunnow  but you can't blame TP for what he is doing with us. I hear the word entertainment banded about  what do you want as entertainment ? Who would you like to get in to replace the regime that we have now ? Go and see ant n Dec if you want to be entertained ! . I'm being entertained, originally what did TP have to work with ? He was given a plan to avoid relegation and stabilise our position in prem until the club was sold . We are steadily getting better quality players in which in turn is adding quality to our football. Yes there are bad days on the pitch but I think you have to have a pragmatic view of where we have come from. It's all pert of a big day for me whether home or away wether having drinks before hand or banter on the train.  Have a look below us and see where we could be. Come on you baggies !

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14038 on: March 20, 2017, 07:28:18 AM »
To true you see it different to me even MOTD showed just how well we used the channel`s  you play to your opponent`s weaknesses at that was running the channel`s and corners so each match is different and TP knows how to exploit a lot of teams weaknesses You can keep your possesion football if you use it like Arsenal did they could not get round the back ofus
I like reading your posts they make me laugh i replied to your post were you stated we don't play the long ball, now in this post you say you can keep your possession football! A bit contradictory so which is it? I'll also state again I'm not moaning i am just disagreeing with you about the way we play.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14039 on: March 20, 2017, 07:54:44 AM »
Yes agreed great post above.
I still cannot see or understand some of the negative drivel  put on here but i suppose it's all about opinions and we have to respect that but these people seem to be looking for a reason not to attend, maybe they can't afford it or their missis won't let them I dunnow  but you can't blame TP for what he is doing with us. I hear the word entertainment banded about  what do you want as entertainment ? Who would you like to get in to replace the regime that we have now ? Go and see ant n Dec if you want to be entertained ! . I'm being entertained, originally what did TP have to work with ? He was given a plan to avoid relegation and stabilise our position in prem until the club was sold . We are steadily getting better quality players in which in turn is adding quality to our football. Yes there are bad days on the pitch but I think you have to have a pragmatic view of where we have come from. It's all pert of a big day for me whether home or away wether having drinks before hand or banter on the train.  Have a look below us and see where we could be. Come on you baggies !

I have sat through virtually every minute of football at the Hawthorns since he came. I never thought I would not renew my season ticket regardless of what happened at the club but I thought about this year and I would not have returned for the odd game. I am fortunate that I can afford it and oddly enough it was my partner who pushed me to renew and if she hadn't I probably wouldn't.  I have never spent £1,000 with such a heavy heart.

A lot of long term season ticket holders felt the same way and didn't renew. Will they come back? I'm not sure they will I don't think his supporters understand how much his footballing style is disliked. I absolutely hate the aimless hoofs up field the timidity on the ball the time wasting from the get go. Oddly enough the better the players we sign the more I hate it because the less reason there is for it.

Results have improved but unfortunately for him (and here he has probably just been unlucky) he has lost virtually every game that has mattered to the fans since he arrived. The Villa games in his 1st season. Reading last Derby, Palace and Everton this. Results are the only thing that he offers and to lure fans back it really has to be exceptional not just a bit better than we might expect.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14040 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »
I never cease to be amazed by peoples expectations, as a comparison, we are in a race with other cars, we are driving a very decent Audi A4, but the likes of Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea etc are driving Ferrari's, what do you expect the outcome will be if we try to compete with them in the same way.

Enjoy what you have, not what you want.
Baggie in Southampton

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14041 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
What worries me is i wasnt fussed i didnt bother to go on Saturday after we won.10 years ago i would have been gutted to have missed us beat teams like Arsenal.20 years of M5 travelling from Exeter along with the premier league becoming a cash cow for greedy footballers chairman etc. its killing my desire for the game of football
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14042 on: March 20, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
What worries me is i wasnt fussed i didnt bother to go on Saturday after we won.10 years ago i would have been gutted to have missed us beat teams like Arsenal.20 years of M5 travelling from Exeter along with the premier league becoming a cash cow for greedy footballers chairman etc. its killing my desire for the game of football

Travelling the distance you do will always lose its appeal eventually as you get older, I really enjoy my 6 - 8 weekends a year following my team, but I could not do it every week both for financial and enjoyment reasons.
Baggie in Southampton

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14043 on: March 20, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Travelling the distance you do will always lose its appeal eventually as you get older, I really enjoy my 6 - 8 weekends a year following my team, but I could not do it every week both for financial and enjoyment reasons.

You are most likely correct re travel and getting older. one more season ticket and hopefully like you 6 games a season via areoplane
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14044 on: March 20, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it's all down to Pulis, a lot of fans have fallen out with the game due to the Permiership 'way' - other club's fans make the same comments.  It's easy to see where it comes from, it's all about money, the chances of cracking the top six are, even with big investment, years and years away.  There's no attachment to players any more, etc.

It's a shame that people go on about the 'aimless punts' though.  The results aren't just a little bit better, they're a LOT better than we expected.  I don't think there's enough credit being given because people have a personal dislike of Pulis.

The only way the "entertainment above all" fans will get what they want is if we end up relegated, keep hold of our players and get a new manager in.  That success (lol) will be short lived. 

How many teams in the Premiership play exciting, attacking football with any degree of success?  Now what are their transfer fees and wage bills like in comparison to ours?  And what about their league position?

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14045 on: March 20, 2017, 09:25:57 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it's all down to Pulis, a lot of fans have fallen out with the game due to the Permiership 'way' - other club's fans make the same comments.  It's easy to see where it comes from, it's all about money, the chances of cracking the top six are, even with big investment, years and years away.  There's no attachment to players any more, etc.

It's a shame that people go on about the 'aimless punts' though.  The results aren't just a little bit better, they're a LOT better than we expected.  I don't think there's enough credit being given because people have a personal dislike of Pulis.

The only way the "entertainment above all" fans will get what they want is if we end up relegated, keep hold of our players and get a new manager in.  That success (lol) will be short lived. 

How many teams in the Premiership play exciting, attacking football with any degree of success?  Now what are their transfer fees and wage bills like in comparison to ours?  And what about their league position?

Exactly right, I was going to post the same thing but could not be bothered, its mostly about attitude, I also am no lover of the Premier League 'crooked product', but it is what it is, a positive and cheerful attitude is the most important thing in life, if you can not carry that into watching the Albion with our best team in 30 years, its probably time to ditch the moaning and find something else to do on a Saturday.
Baggie in Southampton

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14046 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
I know people put a lot of stock in the cups so I thought I'd look at recent FA Cup winners.  You've got to go back to the late 70's to find a time when it was truly competitive.

The current top 7 have dominated it since then with only 4 other teams winning it. 

If we really want to compete for the cups then we need to compete with those teams which, for me, means being able to finish top 10 season in, season out.  We are getting there.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14047 on: March 20, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
Will this one make you laugh 59  A long ball is where you hit it long from the back aiming to get it as far upfield as you can  and a ball down the channel is slide rule pass hit down the line for your wingers or fullbacks to run onto  thats not possession football its breaking quickly and inteligently .so I am not contradicting anything

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14048 on: March 20, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
Will this one make you laugh 59  A long ball is where you hit it long from the back aiming to get it as far upfield as you can  and a ball down the channel is slide rule pass hit down the line for your wingers or fullbacks to run onto  thats not possession football its breaking quickly and inteligently .so I am not contradicting anything

I always thought the channels were the old-fashioned inside left & inside right channels (numbers 10 and 8 ). Essentially between the full back & centre back.

For us, Chadli & Morrisson play there.

We sometimes thread the ball through the channels, but a major part of our game plan is a long pass to Rondon for him to lay-off to players running the channels, together with wide players crossing balls from the bye-line.
IMO we don't have the players with sufficient technical ability to work the channels in the same way that the top clubs do.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14049 on: March 20, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Sorry baggie john but were you there on Saturday we kept cutting them open by using the channels as shown on MOTD 1st Goal came from a run from McClean though the channel and a save from Chec we scored from the corner A Kanu chance came when Brunt hit a beauty of a ball though the channel and a save by the keeper and pepole rave about passes by the likes of Fabragas and Silva but the pass over the top by Chadli  for McClean to set up our 2nd goal was brilliant and did`nt get a mention so just  we don`t alway`s hit long balls we play some bloody good counter attacking football at times