Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5165215 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14000 on: March 19, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »
To be fair some of the football last season and early this season was pretty dire and rightly drew criticism. All I see are positive comments in the after match debate for the Arsenal game and rightly so.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14001 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »
It's just disappointing that some fans are very very quick to criticise but aren't nearly as quick to give credit when it's due.

We will have tough patches but when we get to them it's like none of the good bits have ever happened. I think some folk are looking for reasons to have a go rather than enjoying the moment right now

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14002 on: March 19, 2017, 09:22:34 AM »
Yesterday's performance reminded me of the Palace side that he kept up. Great pace on the flanks which is the key to this style of counter-attacking football.  Without that pace and width what's left is the turgid defensive stuff, which is why player recruitment and a big enough squad to contain depth is so vital to the style of play.   McClean, Phillips, Chadli and Leko, with Nyom as well, compares rather favourably with just McClean and McManaman before them.

The challenge now is to recruit more players of a similar quality to replace the ageing members of the squad and then to keep the enlarged squad happy. Livermore coming in and relegating Yacob to the bench will be interesting.  Do we now let Yacob go to give Field his chance, or do we keep Yacob and send Field out on loan? Or do we somehow try to keep Yacob happy by rotating?  If we send out Leko on loan, can we place him with a winger who will be happy on the bench?  Nice problems, but nevertheless decisions need to be made.

Do we consider a change to 2 up front?  To do that we either go to 4 in the midfield or 3 at the back. What impact does that have on recruitment?

Personally I'd like us to evolve into a squad which is more adaptable, otherwise other teams will too easily work out a way to play against us.  Whatever we go, we must keep recruiting central defenders who are an attacking threat at corners and free kicks and players who can deliver corners and free kicks as well as Brunt, Phillips & Co as that is such a threat against ANY opposition.  As long as the style of play creates chances which generate corners we will be a match for anyone.

On a final note, that cross from Brunt in the 2nd half for Rondon was pure nectar.  What a left foot that man has. 

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14003 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
When it comes to corners having tall players is good, but most clubs have tall CH's so I think what really stands out for us and makes the biggest difference is just how good the ball into the box is. They're whipped in with pace and right into the danger area and we are very consistent with it.

Being a Pulis side it's sort of considered standard because we're a bunch of big lads but really it's the skill of the players taking the corners that's our standout.

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14004 on: March 19, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
If any of YOU supporter`s are still staying away because of TP more fool you you are missing some master classes in how to counter attack we had more shots more attacking threat but again less possession as for some of the fan`s still having a go at TP in my opinion you are mugs as you can`t see a good manager when when he`s staring you in the face as 68 said your quiet tonight

People have there own views on how they want to be entertained,I agree about its slightly better than last season,but its not all the time,and usually only in patches or in one half,I don't want Pulis managing my team,unless we cut down on the endless punts up field to Rondon,who is usually isolated and has no support,or the mindless clearances which goes straight back to the other team.

I have to agree he is doing a good job points wise,I haven't moaned or criticised,even when we have had a bad game,what he is doing is working atm,but the football mostly isn't for me,so I won't renew till either he has left,or we are a lot more interesting to watch for most of the games we play.

Its my view and I won't fall out or start having a dig,as like i said people have there own opinions,life would be boring if we all had the same outlook.

Great win yesterday though.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14005 on: March 19, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »
But the football isn't that much different than under Roy. Megson's approach was worse. Tony M had us playing nice ineffective football.

I know what you mean though but i thought we played the more entertaining football yesterday. Football is about more than passing it nicely when in possession for me. When we're defending it can actually be enjoyable to see how we control where the ball goes and how we limit the other teams options. Arsenal only had 2 shots on target yesterday, and nothing on target after the 33rd minute. 

Arsenal was all sideways passing and then losing possession. We are direct and counter at pace.

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14006 on: March 19, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »
But the football isn't that much different than under Roy. Megson's approach was worse. Tony M had us playing nice ineffective football.

I know what you mean though but i thought we played the more entertaining football yesterday. Football is about more than passing it nicely when in possession for me. When we're defending it can actually be enjoyable to see how we control where the ball goes and how we limit the other teams options. Arsenal only had 2 shots on target yesterday, and nothing on target after the 33rd minute. 

Arsenal was all sideways passing and then losing possession. We are direct and counter at pace.

I didn't enjoy most of the games under Roy,same as I didn't under Megson,tbf though under Roy we was starting to become a feared team,but again we didn't have the funds that we have now,so I grinned and beared it.

I don't mind playing counter attacking football,but like I said earlier,its mostly the pointless long punts upfield that frustrate me the most.

boingusmaximus

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #14007 on: March 19, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
I am always happy when we win, but I am only tempted to go to a few games under the present regime. I understand all the people who feel he is doing a good job, and he does get a certain number of results every season. He is  like Allardyce and Warnock, but I would not particularly want either of them at our club. There seems little bounce or enthusiasm at the stadium, so it seems he has not converted (not a rugby pun!) enough people to his methods yet. Pleased there are enough who will go and keep attendances at a reasonable level. Personally, it is not what got me  excited about the Albion years ago, and more match days are now spent doing other things.Maybe it is the premier league structure that has created the likes of Pulis and Allardyce, who "succeed" by achieving mediocre results over a season, but mean a lot in terms of finance to the clubs they manage.
Perhaps he is the right man for the Albion at the moment, yesterday would indicate that, but still hope he is not here too long. My tennis and golf are benefiting from extra time on Saturdays, and a change is as good as a rest, but would love to be back on a regular basis in the next couple of seasons.   

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14008 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
Given the gap in quality between the two sides yesterday setting up like we did is probably the most effective option open to us, although in terms of actual performance that gap wasn't that pronounced.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14009 on: March 19, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
But for their goal that was TP dream performance & outcome (mine to).
After two games were we showed no energy or enthusiasm this was the reaction we all hoped for.
This style of football is the best way forward for us has a club for the next few seasons while we slowly build a new squad.
10 out of 10.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14010 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »
When it comes to corners having tall players is good, but most clubs have tall CH's so I think what really stands out for us and makes the biggest difference is just how good the ball into the box is. They're whipped in with pace and right into the danger area and we are very consistent with it.

Being a Pulis side it's sort of considered standard because we're a bunch of big lads but really it's the skill of the players taking the corners that's our standout.

Spot on.  Brunt and Phillips are brilliant with their deliveries.  So hard to defend against corners of that quality and pace.   The key is that other clubs can only actually practice how to defend against it if they themselves have players who can whip in corners like that!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14011 on: March 19, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
Spot on.  Brunt and Phillips are brilliant with their deliveries.  So hard to defend against corners of that quality and pace.   The key is that other clubs can only actually practice how to defend against it if they themselves have players who can whip in corners like that!
Agreed, and yesterday Chadli, and Mcclean were excellent with their deliveries from corners too.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14012 on: March 19, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
You TP hater`s really are hard to please this season we have played some of the best football seen at the Hawthorns for a few years yet still you think he`s no good .Abiondaz seems to think we are a long ball team do you mean like the long ball down the line for Chadi to run onto or the long ball that McClean ran onto no sorry they wer`nt long balls for Rondon they must have been them them long endless punts upfield We showed how counter attacking football should be played yet to some we are a long ball aimless punt team some fans should stop there endless criticism it`s` not warranted at this point in time

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14013 on: March 19, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
You TP hater`s really are hard to please this season we have played some of the best football seen at the Hawthorns for a few years yet still you think he`s no good .Abiondaz seems to think we are a long ball team do you mean like the long ball down the line for Chadi to run onto or the long ball that McClean ran onto no sorry they wer`nt long balls for Rondon they must have been them them long endless punts upfield We showed how counter attacking football should be played yet to some we are a long ball aimless punt team some fans should stop there endless criticism it`s` not warranted at this point in time
Why don't you read my post properly,you know damn well what I mean,I never mentioned direct passes.Also I never mentioned yesterdays game,but the long punt's upfield,usually to our solitary striker,since TP took over.

AlbionDaz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14014 on: March 19, 2017, 01:48:16 PM »
Also like to add I don't hate TP.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14015 on: March 19, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
If any of YOU supporter`s are still staying away because of TP more fool you you are missing some master classes in how to counter attack we had more shots more attacking threat but again less possession as for some of the fan`s still having a go at TP in my opinion you are mugs as you can`t see a good manager when when he`s staring you in the face as 68 said your quiet tonight
Sorry to say this but you really are a sanctimonious, pompous backside, I have stayed away but came back for palace, it was rubbish, the football was rubbish, the atmosphere was rubbish there was nothing to commend it and at @ £100. so I chose not to rush back yesterday.
There is no doubt that today we were the "other" albion, my loss end of !

So, can I a) afford b) justify the time / cash to maybe get entertained ? thats a decision I wrestle with weekly.

Do I still love West Brom, of course i do and I don't need some knob telling me that I'm less of  a fan, I recognise that I am, but thats my choice of priorities in life. Your constant sniping and be-littling of people like me is very very freaking annoying and achieves naff all, so please stop it !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14016 on: March 19, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »
Sorry to say this but you really are a sanctimonious, pompous backside, I have stayed away but came back for palace, it was rubbish, the football was rubbish, the atmosphere was rubbish there was nothing to commend it and at @ £100. so I chose not to rush back yesterday.
There is no doubt that today we were the "other" albion, my loss end of !

So, can I a) afford b) justify the time / cash to maybe get entertained ? thats a decision I wrestle with weekly.

Do I still love West Brom, of course i do and I don't need some knob telling me that I'm less of  a fan, I recognise that I am, but thats my choice of priorities in life. Your constant sniping and be-littling of people like me is very very freaking annoying and achieves naff all, so please stop it !

Well said.

Personally, I'm against booing, & I'm certainly against justifying booing because "I've paid my money & I can do what I like".
For me booing doesn't help, it only hinders.

On the other hand, on this forum, I have an opinion, & my opinion is no less or more valid than any other opinion.

On the topic of Tony Pulis, I think what he has done for WBAFC since his arrival is OK, but, like others on this forum, I also think he has his limitations & is not Corberan that some would have you believe.

I have no idea what Guochuan Lai wants from WBAFC, but I would think it's something other than perpetual Premier League survival, & you would think he would want to win a trophy of some sort.

There are also some members of this forum who have an excellent grasp of football tactics, (considerably better than mine), & put forward some very good arguments as to why Tony Pulis has tactical limitations, & particularly in respect to tournament football.

I live about 20 miles away from the Hawthorns, & there's only me to pay for, but I could see that if somebody has to travel huge distances, (& I know of at least one member who comes from the Isle of Wight), then entertainment would be a significant factor in making the decision on attending matches.

So I agree with Albionic, sanctimonious comments do tend to grate
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14017 on: March 19, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
A**e am I look in the mirror mate and all you`ll see is an a**e I don`t pick and choose matches this a**e goes every wk and does`nt need a**e`s like you to tell what I can and can`t say In my  opinion what I said in that post is totally true If you went to more matches you would find out for yourself. As for daz did read your post properly and gave you the answer it deserved  we do not play direct and we don`t hit pointless punt`s upfield and the way you are criticising our style of play it sounds like your a TP hater. Anyway you can all think what you like won`t `change my opinion

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14018 on: March 19, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
Well said.

Personally, I'm against booing, & I'm certainly against justifying booing because "I've paid my money & I can do what I like".
For me booing doesn't help, it only hinders.

On the other hand, on this forum, I have an opinion, & my opinion is no less or more valid than any other opinion.

On the topic of Tony Pulis, I think what he has done for WBAFC since his arrival is OK, but, like others on this forum, I also think he has his limitations & is not Corberan that some would have you believe.

I have no idea what Guochuan Lai wants from WBAFC, but I would think it's something other than perpetual Premier League survival, & you would think he would want to win a trophy of some sort.

There are also some members of this forum who have an excellent grasp of football tactics, (considerably better than mine), & put forward some very good arguments as to why Tony Pulis has tactical limitations, & particularly in respect to tournament football.

I live about 20 miles away from the Hawthorns, & there's only me to pay for, but I could see that if somebody has to travel huge distances, (& I know of at least one member who comes from the Isle of Wight), then entertainment would be a significant factor in making the decision on attending matches.

So I agree with Albionic, sanctimonious comments do tend to grate

ALL of that
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14019 on: March 19, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »
Cut out the petty insults lads there's simply no need for name calling it feels like being back at school. Any further posts in that manner will be removed, differing opinions and personal circumstances don't mean anyone is less of a fan than someone else for crying out loud.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14020 on: March 19, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
To be fair we do play direct, and did yesterday. We also hit a lot of punts forwards too. Nothing wrong with it when it works, but when we aren't winning it does leave the fans feeling short-changed and can see why some choose to stay away.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14021 on: March 19, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »
The complaining about style of play was fully justified last season in my view and you could argue that it was for the first few games of this season too. Overall I don't see how many can have complaints about it now we have some better players to make it more affective and pleasing on the eye.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14022 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
Sorry about that B_H_Baggie just defending myself against  a site Donator and senior baggie . and if they watched our style of play over the last few months we use the channel`s a lot more than any long ball with the width of our Full Backs and Winger`s are giving us

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14023 on: March 19, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
We do sometimes have to hit it long and we tend to try and play it in the channels when we do.  It's mainly because we sit deep and hit on the counter.  We certainly aren't a normal long ball team.

I still find it amazing that someone can think Pulis has only done 'ok' though.  We look better now than any other recent time I can remember. If folk aren't happy with how things are then I'm not sure they could have been happy for the last 25 years.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14024 on: March 19, 2017, 04:14:08 PM »
While I agree we have improved this season and played some good stuff, including yesterday, to say we aren't a long ball team is a bit strange. We've played the 5th highest amount of long balls and the lowest amount of passes completed and possession in the league! If that isn't a long ball team then I don't know what is..

Nothing against it, as it's clearly worked for us, just don't get this 'not a long ball team' stuff.