Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 268642 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 30, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
Great fight, well done AJ
He probably learned more in that fight last night than in his previous 18.

Exactly. Tyson Fury has been very clever with his pre-fight wind ups and is likely to get a shot and a big pay day against AJ thats of course if he gets  his license back.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #526 on: April 30, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
Exactly. Tyson Fury has been very clever with his pre-fight wind ups and is likely to get a shot and a big pay day against AJ thats of course if he gets  his license back.

Courtesy of the BBC:

"Tyson Fury has accepted the challenge issued by world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua following the Londoner's title victory over Wladimir Klitschko."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/39760689

Pretty sure initial negotiations will begin prior to his boxing license being renewed.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #527 on: April 30, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
Good fight Joshua in the 5th round was gone knocked down out of breath managed to hang in there for next few rounds then won . Good job Klitschko is past his best or would of won that fight . Let's hope he has learned a lot from. That fight but real deal no chance .

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
Good fight Joshua in the 5th round was gone knocked down out of breath managed to hang in there for next few rounds then won . Good job Klitschko is past his best or would of won that fight . Let's hope he has learned a lot from. That fight but real deal no chance .

He wasn't knocked down in the 5th, it was the 6th.... he knocked klitschko down in the 5th.

He knocked out a guy who hasn't been knocked out in about 13 yesrs... what would you call the 'real deal'?

Up til klitschko caught Joshua in the 6th, AJ was in complete control... Gassed himself out going for the knockout in the  5th and NEARLY got caught out... he then took quite a few good shots from a guy who ruled the heavyweight division for the past decade... then came back to knock him out.

What more does the guy have to do?

Not the finished product yet, but I can't see anyone stopping him anytime soon... especially wilder who has knocked out a bunch of nobodies and never been in the ring with someone like joshua.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »
He wasn't knocked down in the 5th, it was the 6th.... he knocked klitschko down in the 5th.

He knocked out a guy who hasn't been knocked out in about 13 yesrs... what would you call the 'real deal'?

Up til klitschko caught Joshua in the 6th, AJ was in complete control... Gassed himself out going for the knockout in the  5th and NEARLY got caught out... he then took quite a few good shots from a guy who ruled the heavyweight division for the past decade... then came back to knock him out.

What more does the guy have to do?

Not the finished product yet, but I can't see anyone stopping him anytime soon... especially wilder who has knocked out a bunch of nobodies and never been in the ring with someone like joshua.
same can be said about joshua until last night.knocked over a bunch of nobodys and just about out energied a 41 year old ex great world heavyweight champion JUST

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #530 on: April 30, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
same can be said about joshua until last night.knocked over a bunch of nobodys and just about out energied a 41 year old ex great world heavyweight champion JUST

This thread is full of people who've doubted Joshua every step of the way. Funnily enough the goalposts move with every fight.

A lot of people let their dislike of the fact that Joshua is clearly packaged as an easy to sell fighter cloud their judgement on the fact he's actually rather good. Go back a year and most the people on here thought David Haye would beat him.

But there's long being a theme in England of people hating other English peoples success, we're a fairly unique country that way.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #531 on: April 30, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »

You can only beat what's infront of you... wilder has had how many more fights than Joshua and is still yet to fight anyone good, why is that if he's actually any good?

Age is nothing, even his own brother said he has never saw him so ready, prepared and focused for a fight as he was last night.

Joshua was also carrying a lot more weight than klitschko was, which takes alot of energy out of you.

You can make as many excuses as you like but you can't deny Joshuas talent and what he achieved last night.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #532 on: April 30, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
Mate i am glad he won but ok 6th round then but to take 2 rounds to get his breath back after a few punches thrown and should have finished Klitschko there and then . I didn't say he is the real deal he ain't far from it the real deal was Tyson in his prime

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #533 on: April 30, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
Mate i am glad he won but ok 6th round then but to take 2 rounds to get his breath back after a few punches thrown and should have finished Klitschko there and then . I didn't say he is the real deal he ain't far from it the real deal was Tyson in his prime

Not that I know you personally, but I take it you've never been in a boxing ring?

To get your breath back during a fight at all takes alot, trust me... so for him to do that whilst he has someone who punches as quick and hard as klitschko trying to knock him out, 'hugging' him whenever he tries to punch back along with the experience klitschko has... Just shows that Joshua can compete with the best in the division and I genuinely don't think anyone ATM will test him like last night.

I thought it was all over during the 6th and 7th rounds for him, but for him to come back and win the way he did... There is no questioning his ability nor should there be any doubts if people know what they are talking about imo.

I agree though tyson was the real deal, that guy was an animal and it's hard to believe anyone will ever compare to him... But tyson was the best and the real deal of his time, as for the present and what's out there at this moment in time, it's only a matter of time until Joshua silences all his doubters

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #534 on: April 30, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
There are a lot of fighters who stayed at the top level for a long time who were the real deal. Lewis being one of them, Klitschko another.
Both Lewis and Klitschko took on a slightly more cautious style after some early defeats ...both under Manny Steward.
I can't see Joshua doing the same in terms of style. I think we are going to see some exciting fights - he'll win most but lose some - could be a roller coaster but he's already brought excitement back to the heavyweight division.

Joshua won an Olympic gold despite being relatively inexperienced and he's beaten Klitschko. He should improve further in the next couple of years and will go on filling venues and getting big pay to view ratings.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #535 on: April 30, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
does anyone else agree with the judges scorecard from last night, just read the BBC report and two had Joshua in front before the referee stopped the fight. i had him losing at that point.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
does anyone else agree with the judges scorecard from last night, just read the BBC report and two had Joshua in front before the referee stopped the fight. i had him losing at that point.
Yes I thought he was behind and it sounds like most of the television crews had him behind....glad it became irrelevant.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #537 on: April 30, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »
Yes I thought he was behind and it sounds like most of the television crews had him behind....glad it became irrelevant.
just shows how we view things, one judge had it 96-93 and another 95-93 in joshuas favour and like you say I don't recall any of the media or commentators having Joshua in front by the 11th round and some of those were ex pro boxers themselves.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #538 on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:21 PM »
Missed the game yesterday to go and have to say it's by far the greatest sporting event I've ever seen.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #539 on: April 30, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »
Nope never been inside a boxing ring and don't intend to . Just my views from watching on TV . Well missing game yesterday you don't miss alot  ;) would Fury put up a better fight can't see it it that's Joshua's next bout

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #540 on: April 30, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
Missed the game yesterday to go and have to say it's by far the greatest sporting event I've ever seen.
Good move and lucky man

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #541 on: April 30, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
I honestly can't see Fury stepping foot in the ring with Joshua. Fury won't get his fitness levels up.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #542 on: April 30, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
I honestly can't see Fury stepping foot in the ring with Joshua. Fury won't get his fitness levels up.
That's what Steve Bunce said this morning - 'Fury has to get his mind right and lose about 6 stone which is asking a lot'.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #543 on: May 02, 2017, 10:16:19 PM »
Anyone watch the road to klitschko on iplayer? Very good

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #544 on: May 03, 2017, 12:01:41 AM »
just shows how we view things, one judge had it 96-93 and another 95-93 in joshuas favour and like you say I don't recall any of the media or commentators having Joshua in front by the 11th round and some of those were ex pro boxers themselves.

yes I thought Klitschko had shaded it. Fantastic experience for Joshua - he'll only get better.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #545 on: June 11, 2017, 11:04:02 PM »
RIP Errol Christie,an amazing talent back in his prime and strange how his brother had the better sucsess even though being inferior to his brother

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #546 on: June 12, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
RIP Errol Christie,an amazing talent back in his prime and strange how his brother had the better sucsess even though being inferior to his brother
Indeed he was very talented and classy to watch. He was one of those fighters whose durability let him down a bit when he went up in level if I remember rightly. RIP

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #547 on: June 15, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »
So its on then, Mayweather v McGregor, what a miss match thatl be with McGregor only allowed to use his fists and boxing skills.and to think some folks will pay the box office price for it

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #548 on: June 15, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »
Shame this overhyped pointless missmatch will go ahead

Will completely distract from actual boxing. A shame really.

Will I still watch it??... Ye probably  :P

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #549 on: June 15, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
It's a bit of a freak fight really. If boxing was a sensibly run sport McGregor would have to have 3 or 4 fights first. Won't bother watching it personally.