Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767086 times)

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #1000 on: July 30, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »
What a signing. Really happy with this one, well done JP, RH + DA.

Sorry if this is a repost but i found this video on youtube which someone made for Foster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wjxPPgvl0

He looks like he should be at Madrid looking at that video lol

Wbahunty

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1001 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
We needed to actually sign him, we will just have the same problem next year.

However a good season might make that solution easier and we will come to that when it happens?

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1002 on: July 30, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »
I think it might actually be a calculated gamble on the part of JP, the straight loan. Maybe he was offered the chance to make it a permanent for 4m, but believes the financial situation at blues will only get worse and we might be able to snap him up for, say, 2m. One things for sure, I wouldn't want to play cards with Jeremy. Wouldn't be at all suprised if this turned out to be another JP masterstroke.
Interesting theory. I don't know how complicated the matter might be though if Blues go into administration. The Administrator as I understand would take over control of the club and would obviously want to realise some assets to obtain funds quickly in order to keep creditors happy including players' wages. I assume that the loan deal for Foster would still be protected but what if the Administrator wanted to sell Foster? Would we have first choice? More than likely we would have to wait until the January window or is there a clause in the rules that would allow us to buy outside the window?

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1003 on: July 30, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
Just out of interest, what happens if we draw Blues in the cup?

Will both keepers be allowed to play?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1004 on: July 30, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »
Has there been any news on the loan fee? It was originally 1 million wasnt it but with Myhill going the other way surely thats gone down a bit.
Boing Boing

kendo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1005 on: July 30, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
As much as I am please we got Foster at last, I cant understand the fact we offload our only other keeper with prem experience. So we have got to get back up that we already had. Anybody know if the Oddy saga is resolved yet? and lets hope they don't spend 8 million on Long. He is not bad, but not an 8 mill player. We still need the defence sorting, but this should have been all done by now.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1006 on: July 30, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »
As much as I am please we got Foster at last, I cant understand the fact we offload our only other keeper with prem experience. So we have got to get back up that we already had. Anybody know if the Oddy saga is resolved yet? and lets hope they don't spend 8 million on Long. He is not bad, but not an 8 mill player. We still need the defence sorting, but this should have been all done by now.

Myhill was unsettled with the constant speculation regarding us wanting a new goalkeeper, because he thought he should be the one to be the No. 1. Hence when the offer came in to get first team experience he jumped at it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Gamma

« Reply #1007 on: July 30, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
Very good deal here.

I am excited now. We've got a very good goalkeeper on our hands. I think if we fit out a really good CB we'll be ready basically.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1008 on: July 30, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
Just out of interest, what happens if we draw Blues in the cup?

Will both keepers be allowed to play?

Usually no but not sue regarding this deal...

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1009 on: July 30, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I would have thought an agreement is in place that they can both play?

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1010 on: July 30, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
Brilliant news! And to celebrate, I've written an article that details just exactly how much better Foster is than Carson.

http://studsshowing.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/ben-foster-a-statistical-comparison/

from this i don't get that he is vastly better IMO, but the catching stat says it all really doesn't it, quick point all those mistakes carson makes, only 5 led to goals, we conceded over 70, 5 were his fault, so whos blamed for the other 65???
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

MostUnfurrowed

• Newcomer

« Reply #1011 on: July 30, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
from this i don't get that he is vastly better IMO, but the catching stat says it all really doesn't it, quick point all those mistakes carson makes, only 5 led to goals, we conceded over 70, 5 were his fault, so whos blamed for the other 65???

They're overt mistakes rather than failed saves. Foster made more than double the amount of saves Carson, last season.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1012 on: July 30, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »

They're overt mistakes rather than failed saves. Foster made more than double the amount of saves Carson, last season.

true something i did notice, possibly a case that our defence was better than blues  :o
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1013 on: July 30, 2011, 12:14:39 PM »
I'm pleased we've nailed Foster, but bewildered about why we've sent Myhill the other way. It's been hard enough to find one Premier class keeper, but these days there's absolutely no doubt you need two over the course of a season.

What happens if Foster is injured in the first game? Get your boots on, Dean.

Also, I can't quite warm to a player who's not prepared to play for his country. I suppose it's good for us that he wants to be single mjinded, but playing for England should be every Englishman's dream.

While I'm on, is there any hint about his wages? He was reportedly on £1.5m at the Blues, and if we're paying him anything close to that it could lead to dressing room unrest.

Er, AND we still need a centre half.
Remember the past - learn from it

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1014 on: July 30, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
I severely doubt bringing a keep of Ben Foster's quality on 30k a week would lead to any unrest. Carson, in the premier league, must surely have been on similar. Rather I imagine the defence in particular would be delighted to bring in someone of such quality.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1015 on: July 30, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
Poor Myhill must really feel like a West Brom reject.
I bet the Bham supporters aren't too happy either.

chris-wba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1016 on: July 30, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »
What a signing. Really happy with this one, well done JP, RH + DA.

Sorry if this is a repost but i found this video on youtube which someone made for Foster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wjxPPgvl0

That video shows just how rubbish Birmingham were last season. They would have been planted to the bottom without Foster. Great signing for us, well done the chairman and the manager  :D

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1017 on: July 30, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
That save against Villa is amazing. Shot stopping is only one aspect of a goalkeeper though obviously..

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1018 on: July 30, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
I'm pleased we've nailed Foster, but bewildered about why we've sent Myhill the other way. It's been hard enough to find one Premier class keeper, but these days there's absolutely no doubt you need two over the course of a season.

What happens if Foster is injured in the first game? Get your boots on, Dean.

Also, I can't quite warm to a player who's not prepared to play for his country. I suppose it's good for us that he wants to be single mjinded, but playing for England should be every Englishman's dream.

While I'm on, is there any hint about his wages? He was reportedly on £1.5m at the Blues, and if we're paying him anything close to that it could lead to dressing room unrest.

Er, AND we still need a centre half.

1.5m a year is 28000 a week, Mulumbu just signed a contract worth more than that and Carson was on pretty much the same wage so I wouldn't expect too much unrest. 

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1019 on: July 30, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »
This thread is about Foster signing,please refrain from posting video's of Scott Carson or anybody else thankyou.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1020 on: July 30, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »
I initially thought Ben Foster was out of our price range, good goalkeeper who will benefit us next season. Well done Jeremy Peace and Dan Ashworth for pulling this off.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1021 on: July 30, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »
first clean sheet of the season.. immediate impact!

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1022 on: July 30, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »
Usually no but not sue regarding this deal...
There's probably a crazy FA rule that we play Myhill and they have Foster for the game. :D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:24:02 PM by Political Cake »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1023 on: July 31, 2011, 03:42:47 AM »
can someone some up this deal for me?
have we loaned him for the year then buying him in a peace esc deal or is it a straight loan?
O Albion we love you

westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1024 on: July 31, 2011, 05:06:31 AM »
We can sign him for a rumoured fee of £4m at the end of the season if Blues fail to get promoted… I believe Seed!
Oooooohhhh West Bromwich Albion! #SPRAY32