Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 771358 times)

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #975 on: July 29, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Unfortunately, for some people the glass is always half empty.

absolutely over the moon with this signing, the guy is class, so much so that I thought I would say that i'm concerned we didn't sign him perm. I don't think anybody has moaned about fosters quality. Lets hope its another JP stroke of genius... we still have monies left!!!!! 

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #976 on: July 29, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »
The straight loan deals actually suit the players most really, Myhill gets first team football and the chance to impress while Foster keeps his options wide open next year.

At the end of the day we have got him for the year no matter what and if he does well and all falls into place we will have the chance to get him next summer so I think all parties will be happy enough tonight. His comments on his video interview about the location being really important for him as he doesn't want to uproot his family should give us a good chance of getting him next year should Blues fail to win promotion and we stay in the Premiership.

I would hope that the loan move allows us to concentrate some more funds towards what other positions Hodgson wants to strengthen although our wage bill must have increased significantly over the last year.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:23:16 PM by B_H_Baggie »

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #977 on: July 29, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
Cracking signing, very good capable keeper and i think he will join with some confidence in himself, if everyone gets behind him (and the defence tightens up) we could have a potentially great signing.

Sadly will bring an end to this thread though soon, can it be beaten length wise this preseason? John Carew anyone?!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #978 on: July 29, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
A fantastic signing. How do the 'Be careful what you wish for' and 'we won't get better than Carson' brigade feel now? He will win us many points next season.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #979 on: July 29, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
Really pleased the deal has been done, I think he is a top keeper, his debut aganist his old club as well.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:38:43 PM by B_H_Baggie »
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #980 on: July 29, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »
Let's be under no illusions, this is a fantastic signing. Well done DA and Roy for getting him!
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #981 on: July 29, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
A fantastic signing. How do the 'Be careful what you wish for' and 'we won't get better than Carson' brigade feel now? He will win us many points next season.

Foster is a good signing, and is an improvement on Carson.

However I still maintain Carson was not as bad as some make out.

Foster had a better defensive unit in front of him last year, unless we make more signings he could be in for a shock.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #982 on: July 29, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
Foster is a good signing, and is an improvement on Carson.

However I still maintain Carson was not as bad as some make out.

Foster had a better defensive unit in front of him last year, unless we make more signings he could be in for a shock.

I can't see any more defenders coming in really apart from Ridgewell perhaps. Quite worrying really considering how bad were are at the back. Having a decent keeper will make a difference though. It should install some confidence into the back 4 at least.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #983 on: July 29, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »

Foster is an improvement on Carson so excellent but the 'be careful what you wish for' comments would have been perfectly valis for the likes of Green or PIG !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #984 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »
wow! what a great signing this is. Well pleased.

Beddoe121

« Reply #985 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »
Happy to see this go through, hopefully 1 or 2 more signings and we should have a decent outfit, hopefully  Gera and Ridgewell make the switches too.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #986 on: July 29, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »
A brief  interview on player with him if you haven't seen it
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

floridabaggie

« Reply #987 on: July 29, 2011, 11:02:41 PM »
Well chuffed with Foster, just hope he settles quickly so people stay off his back !!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #988 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:47 PM »
Well chuffed with Foster, just hope he settles quickly so people stay off his back !!
Define quickly.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #989 on: July 29, 2011, 11:35:58 PM »
Fantastic news. I thought the 'Loan towards view of Permanent' deal involved a set fee being fixed beforehand, and if the buying club offered it the selling club were forced to sell. Unless JP has outdone even himself in not just negotiating the details of it, but no even announcing such a deal, I don't think Blues would accept a normal deal like it.

Define quickly.

Scores an 80 yard free kick first game against Man U. :P
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #990 on: July 29, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »
Don't think it'll be an issue unless his first few performances are disasters. With Carson's history (England v Croatia, Villa) I think some people couldn't wait to get on his back when he came. Foster's history is clean so he'll be fine.

MostUnfurrowed

• Newcomer

« Reply #991 on: July 29, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
Brilliant news! And to celebrate, I've written an article that details just exactly how much better Foster is than Carson.

http://studsshowing.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/ben-foster-a-statistical-comparison/

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #992 on: July 29, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
Unfortunately, for some people the glass is always half empty.

Nothing wrong with a half empty glass - shows that you are aware that you will need more!!!

However, Ben Foster (whether on loan or permanent) is the best that we could have possibly hoped for to replace Scott Carson.
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #993 on: July 30, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »
Brilliant news! And to celebrate, I've written an article that details just exactly how much better Foster is than Carson.

http://studsshowing.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/ben-foster-a-statistical-comparison/

Just had a good read of that. Good work. Funnily enough, the first thing that impressed me about Carson was his distribution. Unfortunately, i wasn't overly impressed with much else on the whole, although he was much more stern in the Championship generally. I wish Carson the best for the future but rate Foster a lot more as an all round keeper.

jasonbot

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #994 on: July 30, 2011, 12:24:31 AM »

I really enjoyed this article! Thanks.

But... The problem now is that we've given up Myhill so we still need another keeper as was outlined on the wba website

Ashworth added: "We wish Boaz all the best at Birmingham during the coming season and we are now targeting another goalkeeper to provide competition for Ben."

kusz... uhm, PIG anyone?

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #995 on: July 30, 2011, 12:27:43 AM »
The ambassador would really be spoiling us if we got the Pole in Goal too   :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7gAxsfK5U
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:30:08 AM by Barrington »

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #996 on: July 30, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »
I really enjoyed this article! Thanks.

But... The problem now is that we've given up Myhill so we still need another keeper as was outlined on the wba website

Ashworth added: "We wish Boaz all the best at Birmingham during the coming season and we are now targeting another goalkeeper to provide competition for Ben."

kusz... uhm, PIG anyone?
Not unless we want to pay 3/4 million and high wages for a second choice keeper.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #997 on: July 30, 2011, 12:41:40 AM »

Great read & just backs up what I said earlier:

The one thing Carson has over Foster IMO is distribution, I still can't work out why people thought Carson was so poor at distribution he was actually very good!

Foster does seem to drag an awful lot of clearances from back passes along the floor.

Having said that I'd be a much happier person with Foster in goal as he will win us more games than he costs us.

If Foster makes an error he seems to come back stronger, whereas with Carson he would just let it hang over him.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #998 on: July 30, 2011, 06:20:44 AM »
Joy at Fosster signing and some people still drag Carson into it.

Helloooooooooo, he's left. Let it be  ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #999 on: July 30, 2011, 08:34:17 AM »
What a signing. Really happy with this one, well done JP, RH + DA.

Sorry if this is a repost but i found this video on youtube which someone made for Foster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wjxPPgvl0
Smethwick..