Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725191 times)

Ross

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1400 on: April 11, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
We did but we hardly played him. I thought he was pretty decent down at our place this year. Certainly better than what we put out.

Gnabry/ Valero syndrome. Fair to say we shouldn’t judge players ability on their time with us.

I say he will be a good appointment given the situation. Breaks the mould of former players and old has beens. We should get behind him

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1401 on: April 11, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
We did but we hardly played him. I thought he was pretty decent down at our place this year. Certainly better than what we put out.
He arrived on loan after a bad ankle injury at Spurs , I'm totally against signing injured players like we do but thats another topic.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1402 on: April 11, 2019, 03:35:15 PM »
Gnabry/ Valero syndrome. Fair to say we shouldn’t judge players ability on their time with us.

I say he will be a good appointment given the situation. Breaks the mould of former players and old has beens. We should get behind him

Gnabry, he was a waste of space.

Whats he up to now? Oh wait......... ;D
MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1403 on: April 11, 2019, 03:37:20 PM »
Gnabry, he was a waste of space.

Whats he up to now? Oh wait......... ;D

To be fair to TP, Wenger didn't give him the time of day either...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1404 on: April 11, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »

To be fair to TP, Wenger didn't give him the time of day either...

I know, but someone did and look at him now.....

Getting back to the next manager, I quite like the idea of Alex Neil, I am just interested to see if the board can actually pull this off or make yet another horlicks of the whole situation.
MAGA!

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1405 on: April 11, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »

Getting back to the next manager, I quite like the idea of Alex Neil, I am just interested to see if the board can actually pull this off or make yet another horlicks of the whole situation.

Hopefully it can be done but following comments on here and Facebook he needs to hit the ground running or he will face the wrath of the fans. You could understand why some coaches would give the job the swerve.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1406 on: April 11, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »

Nice try but false news.

No way Jenkins'd splash out on Horlicks  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1407 on: April 11, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
Neil wouldn’t be my choice but some of the comments seem unfounded. Neil being compared to Irvine is unfair. They are Scottish and managed Preston but in terms of achievements it ends there. Sir Alex and David Moyes were Scottish and managed Man Utd...
Jokanovic got Fulham up and then struggled in the prem which seems similar to Neil too. I realize Jokanovic got 2 promotions but hardly pulled up trees in the prem with a lot more money at his disposal than Neil had.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1408 on: April 11, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »
this is the most relevant bit, if he comes, i hope he pins this up in his office

We had a lot of players at the club for longer than five years, and we needed to start afresh,” Neil said in an interview shortly after his dismissal.

“Thirteen of the 24 players in the first-team squad were over 30, and when we went up the last time they were 28, which is significantly different, it’s when you’re at your peak.

“We needed to re-build and the one thing I blame myself for is that I re-signed all the players to get us back up because they’d done it in the past. I should have taken more time and looked to alter the squad at that stage.”

Thats the bit that resonated for me too. Whoever comes needs to rebuild by saying goodbye to about 10 players and replace them with players with energy, quality and desire.......good luck with our board as this will be done on a budget hence why Neil is probably favoured........?

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1409 on: April 11, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
I honestly doubt any appointment will be made until we know exactly what league we'll be in next season.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1410 on: April 11, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
I think the double six they were hoping to roll with James Shan came out as a 2 and a 1 [no disrespect to JS there].

If we had won our last two games I am convinced we would not be having this conversation.
If he had picked more adventurous teams and we had lost one and drawn one by actually playing football I think we would still be treading water on this.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1411 on: April 11, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
Neil looks like a decent proposition. I’ve always thought he has something about him. No doubt many on this forum will tear into him from the outset as usual.

I can’t see him coming this season though. I doubt anyone will come in, but I live in hope.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1412 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:04 PM »
It’s up to Neil and the club to prove me wrong but I can’t help feel this story has been leaked when the board know the fans are getting very restless. Two home games in a week where they are likely to get the bird . I wonder .

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1413 on: April 11, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »
I just hope the golum lookalike brings us the precious in the play off final.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1414 on: April 11, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
Just need a person (male or female) with guts!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1415 on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
I'm glad he's apparently wanted assurances about budget and his involvement in transfers before he does anything

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/11690600/alex-neil-wants-assurances-over-west-brom-managerial-job-if-he-is-to-leave-preston

Our board have hung enough managers out to dry
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1416 on: April 12, 2019, 07:49:51 AM »
I would be really pleased with this appointment. Think he has an excellent track record, has enough experience and think he could really achieve promotion here over this season or next. Just hope the Board give him the time he needs.

By his own admission he has made mistakes, as we all do at work. Hopefully he's learned from them and getting a manager in at this stage will give him potentially 7 or 8 games to assess the squad for its strengths and deficiencies and hit the ground running in the summer. Something we haven't been able to do for a while.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1417 on: April 12, 2019, 07:54:25 AM »
I'm glad he's apparently wanted assurances about budget and his involvement in transfers before he does anything

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/11690600/alex-neil-wants-assurances-over-west-brom-managerial-job-if-he-is-to-leave-preston

I am pleased that Alex Neil is thinking this way. Whilst we are at it, how about the board giving the fans some assurances as well before holding guns to our heads about buying our season tickets before the season has finished or lose our seat...... >:(
MAGA!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1418 on: April 12, 2019, 08:33:41 AM »
Neil has been my choice for a while. Jokanovich and Wagner maybe better managers but i feel they are waiting for bigger options, and we couldn't afford them anyway.
We would be a good progression for him at this stage of his career, but the way we go about things i won't get too excited.
We will probably have Brexit first.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1419 on: April 12, 2019, 09:57:48 AM »
I am pleased that Alex Neil is thinking this way. Whilst we are at it, how about the board giving the fans some assurances as well before holding guns to our heads about buying our season tickets before the season has finished or lose our seat...... >:(

One for the Assembly to bring up, once the fire certificates for the flags have been sorted out of course  ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1420 on: April 12, 2019, 10:05:15 AM »

"......... Neil is West Brom's preferred choice to replace Darren Moore who was sacked last month with the club fourth in the Championship, however Sky Sports News understands Preston have so far had no contact from Albion regarding Neil...........West Brom's next game is against Preston at the Hawthorns on Saturday and Sky sources expect the Baggies board to make their interest in Neil official after the match".

By the time we play Preston it'll be thirty five days and six games since the sacking of Darren Moore.

Thirty five days, six games and no approach in a season where promotion is reputedly seen by the board as an absolute must!

Wtfknfk.....?

It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1421 on: April 12, 2019, 10:35:56 AM »
"......... Neil is West Brom's preferred choice to replace Darren Moore who was sacked last month with the club fourth in the Championship, however Sky Sports News understands Preston have so far had no contact from Albion regarding Neil...........West Brom's next game is against Preston at the Hawthorns on Saturday and Sky sources expect the Baggies board to make their interest in Neil official after the match".

By the time we play Preston it'll be thirty five days and six games since the sacking of Darren Moore.

Thirty five days, six games and no approach in a season where promotion is reputedly seen by the board as an absolute must!

Wtfknfk.....?

I don't think we'll see Neil this season, I suspect they'll make a formal bid after tomorrow, with a view to him starting on 1 June.
Don't think PNE will give him up easily.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1422 on: April 12, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »
Personally not bothered if AN goes, this is his team he can’t change his tactics has certain favourites. Just like at Millwall should’ve taken Pearson off at halftime for Ledson. If he goes he won’t last the season at WBA

from a Preston message board, certain favourites springs to mind
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1423 on: April 12, 2019, 12:02:50 PM »
I don't think we'll see Neil this season, I suspect they'll make a formal bid after tomorrow, with a view to him starting on 1 June.
Don't think PNE will give him up easily.

I understand that he has told people he wants the job.  More than double the salary, a much bigger budget and a far greater chance of promotion.  Preston won’t be able to keep him if he wants to go. Just need to agree compensation.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1424 on: April 12, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
Personally not bothered if AN goes, this is his team he can’t change his tactics has certain favourites. Just like at Millwall should’ve taken Pearson off at halftime for Ledson. If he goes he won’t last the season at WBA

from a Preston message board, certain favourites springs to mind

All managers have favourites, you have to hope they coincide with your best players. Ie. Phillips, Hegazi, Gibbs and Brunt, rather than Rodriguez, Kanu, Bartley and Livermore.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.