Author Topic: Kyle Bartley  (Read 228187 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Kyle Bartley
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2018, 02:20:01 PM »
Fair play....not sure which game it was then, but I sit quite low down in the East Stand just past the half way line and remember Phillips come charging past me.   Not only did it surprise me because it was in injury time, but he had also look absolutely knackered a few minutes before...these boys really are breaking a neck for the Big Man.

You must sit fairly near me then!

one of the things I like about us at home is we generally don't try and sit on a lead, we look to score more...Stoke at home is one exception I can think of where we seemed to sit back with 10-15 mins to go trying to get that clean sheet and inviting pressure on. Millwall was similar too I guess but they never looked like scoring and we packed the defense to ensure the clean sheet (as much as any team can ensure one)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
The times the back 3 are exposed to those kind of attacks are when that same back 3 have given the ball away cheaply.  The midfield simply isn't being carved through time after time.  The defence quite often plays a poor pass which either directly gives possession away or leaves the player who does get the ball with very few options and that leads to giving possession away.  If this happens in our half then we are drastically short.

I've said this before, the issue is the back 3 spread too far wide when we have possession.  The defending team don't mind it being spread out wide over 20-30 yards because they can close down.  In the mean time they know they only have to guard a forward pass to the two midfielders or wait for Dawson or Hegazi to try and hit it long to Barnes, Gayle, J-Rod.

It's amusing to see the blame being laid at the door of the midfield when I've lost count how many simple 10 yard passes the defence have misplaced so far this season.
The reason they give it away, especially away from home is because there is no out ball in to midfield, not one of them will come deep to show for it, has got a little better since barry has come in to the team mind. Manority of away games I think the back 3 have had way more touches and passes compared to any other player, when thats the case, what do you think happens?

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »
The reason they give it away, especially away from home is because there is no out ball in to midfield, not one of them will come deep to show for it, has got a little better since barry has come in to the team mind. Manority of away games I think the back 3 have had way more touches and passes compared to any other player, when thats the case, what do you think happens?

Spot on. From what I can see the midfield doesn’t find space to drop in and receive the ball. Barry has improved this.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
Surprised this thread has not been resurrected.

An awful centre half.

I don't think I have ever seen an Albion team have to retake so many goal kicks..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Quite possibly one of the worst Centre Backs ive seen, he is simply awful, nothing about him makes me feel comfortable when he is playing

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2018, 03:17:51 PM »
Well it's been resurrected now Liam  ;) .

I've refrained from commenting on this thread for fear that my first impressions of Kyle may have been a tad harsh. Those first impressions were garnered from worrying signs during the pre season friendly away to Aberdeen. I've seen no improvement to his game since then, rather a deeply concerning decline from what in truth was a fairly low plateau of opinion.

The vast majority of players have weaknesses. These weaknesses are often hidden or at least partially masked by their strengths. On balance (thus far) I feel it's fair to surmise Kyle has a number of weaknesses to his game. Unfortunately I am yet to see a single (consistently applied) discernible strength which has the kryptonite like qualities required to mask those deficiencies.

I'd say he isn't being used correctly, but in all honesty I've no idea as to whether the dressing room requires a door stop. Hopefully Darren can find a system to suit Kyle's strengths, once he finds out what they are. I've no idea whether he'd be more comfortable in a flat back four or as a flat pack for IKEA. I'll leave it there for now as it's about as polite as I can muster at this current time.

It's fair to say I am not a fan but genuinely hope he can turn things around........ Onward and COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »
Not only poor but an out and out cheat, relying on shirt pulling and wrestling moves to contain whatever opponent he has in front of him. I know this is part and parcel of the modern game, but Bartley is one of the worst villains. He's the closest I have ever come to wanting one of our own players to be sent off, he annoys me that much.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
He gets on my nerves keep moaning at everyone else. Being vocal on the pitch is fine as long as it's constructive but Bartley does nothing but whinge at everybody else. He needs to concentrate on his own game. He had a right go at Gibbs yesterday when Bartley knocked the ball out of play near the East Stand. Never his own fault of course.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »
I can see why Leeds didn't push harder to keep him

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
Another terrible game today I thought  :-\ looks dodgy defensively and even worse with the ball at his feet. The worst part is the constant blaming of other players for his mistakes. It's not Phillips' fault when you put a pass 10 yards out of his reach, Kyle.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »
Another terrible game today I thought  :-\ looks dodgy defensively and even worse with the ball at his feet. The worst part is the constant blaming of other players for his mistakes. It's not Phillips' fault when you put a pass 10 yards out of his reach, Kyle.

He gave the ball away for the goal so that leads for me, but yes his constant blaming of others for his errors is extremely annoying, did it to Townsend also.

Desperately happy he's suspended next week.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »

He gave the ball away for the goal so that leads for me, but yes his constant blaming of others for his errors is extremely annoying, did it to Townsend also.

Desperately happy he's suspended next week.

It really winds me up. Constant moaning at anyone and everyone yet he himself is awful. Poor signing, not just for his lack of quality but also his attitude. I wouldn't want him as a team mate of mine.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2018, 09:22:36 PM »
For the goal it was poor communication. He backed off from the ball thinking Dawson(?) Was going to take it away.  He's just not good enough really.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2018, 09:38:50 PM »
Bartley needs to be dropped asap. He's utter garbage.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2018, 10:27:58 PM »
   I don't think Bartley has done himself any favours but I think all four of the centre halves have looked poor in this system I wouldn't give up on the lad till we have seen him in a back four where he's allowed to concentrate on his defending like at Leeds when he kept Pontus Jansen out of the team.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2018, 11:38:57 PM »
I wanted to give him the benefit of doubt as in a three and on the wrong side.  But today he was just not good enough.   and the moaning.....would annoy the hell out of me if he was my team mate.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »
As it stands it looks like we have well and truly pi$$ed £4mil up the wall on him.

However I don't think any of our defence have looked comfy in this system. Lack of a rb means big Dave is persisting with the current system which hangs the defence to try
O Albion we love you

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
His problem is that he was a signing based on our lack of joined up thinking in the summer.

Moore signed him prior to bringing in Jones from Belgium. At the time, Moore was saying how he didn't have a philosophy thst he stucj to or a style of play he wanted, he would just do what was needed to win games.

When Jones came in, him and Moore decided they wanted to play attacking football with passing out from the back. This isn't a system that suits Bartley as thus is why it never worked for him at Swansea and why Leeds were not interested this summer.

Had we known we were looking to play this style of football, you would hope we would have targetted somebody else. Moore has to own that mistake for not settling on his philosophy earlier. I said it at the time when he came out with that line that it was nad news. Coaches should know how they want to play before they stary management.
Boing Boing

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2018, 12:57:30 PM »
His problem is that he was a signing based on our lack of joined up thinking in the summer.

Moore signed him prior to bringing in Jones from Belgium. At the time, Moore was saying how he didn't have a philosophy thst he stucj to or a style of play he wanted, he would just do what was needed to win games.

When Jones came in, him and Moore decided they wanted to play attacking football with passing out from the back. This isn't a system that suits Bartley as thus is why it never worked for him at Swansea and why Leeds were not interested this summer.

Had we known we were looking to play this style of football, you would hope we would have targetted somebody else. Moore has to own that mistake for not settling on his philosophy earlier. I said it at the time when he came out with that line that it was nad news. Coaches should know how they want to play before they stary management.

You don't think that Moore & Jones would have talked to each other about a style of play before Jones came then?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
   I don't think Bartley has done himself any favours but I think all four of the centre halves have looked poor in this system I wouldn't give up on the lad till we have seen him in a back four where he's allowed to concentrate on his defending like at Leeds when he kept Pontus Jansen out of the team.

Using the same argument he couldn't get into a very poor Swansea team leaking goals.

Unless there are major improvements, he will be going down as our worst signing in a number of years.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2018, 01:43:07 PM »
You don't think that Moore & Jones would have talked to each other about a style of play before Jones came then?

I also recall Jones saying when he came in that DM tried to get him at the end of last season when he was Caretaker boss, so I imagine they would have had a conversation about playing style at some point.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
Seeing that 99% of posters think the same way regarding Bartley, you may as well close this topic :)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
At least he's suspended for the next game. Only problem is that could mean Mears will be back in the line up.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2018, 06:44:29 PM »
I also recall Jones saying when he came in that DM tried to get him at the end of last season when he was Caretaker boss, so I imagine they would have had a conversation about playing style at some point.
Which if correct beggars belief that Moore signed another right footed CH and a poor one at that when a left footer was required. Poor management all round

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2018, 06:58:12 PM »
At least he's suspended for the next game. Only problem is that could mean Mears will be back in the line up.

I wouldn't have thought so. Moore / Jones show no sign of changing from playing 3 at the back, Mears will only play either in a four or if Phillips is out. Dawson / Hegazi / Adarabioyo will most likely be the 3 on Saturday.