Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1745350 times)

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »
in my time of attending Albion games we have had just under 30 managers(excluding caretakers), Hagan was the first and this is the most inexplicable appointment of the lot,it is also quite probably in the worst 3 or 4 ability wise. Just over 24 hours later and why Irvine is still as mystifying now as it was at the time >:(
I've asked myself time and again to try and see some logic in this, but can't come up with anything.
Even thinking back to what turned out to be bad appointments like Saunders- had success at Villa, Gould-good spells at Wimbledon and Coventry, Buckley- did well at Grimsby, Little- Won Villa's first silverware for 15 years, Smith- again did well at Oxford but Irvine, all he's achieved is failure.

blue

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
If irvine had been appointed Exeter city manager yesterday,  I would of thought he is lucky to get that job with his track record.
WTF is he doing turning up at Albion, Premier League. I cant get my head around it.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »
I believe it was the other way around.. He rejected us.

That's his story. But I still think if we had wanted him enough then, we'd have got him.

And if we didn't, why would we now?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:56 PM »
Does anybody know if burton and irvine have a history of being friends?  Which has helped irvines application

Im really struggling to find the reasons for this

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:04 PM »
Wouldn't it have been more accurate to say ".....speaking for the overwhelming majority of Albion fans....."?
No. This forum has 2000 odd members which is nowhere near a representation of the majority of Albion fans.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #630 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »
Southampton are about to appoint Ronald Koeman, this makes me very sad.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #631 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »
Does anybody know if burton and irvine have a history of being friends?  Which has helped irvines application

Im really struggling to find the reasons for this
It's starting to get a "jobs for the old boys" smell about it

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #632 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
No. This forum has 2000 odd members which is nowhere near a representation of the majority of Albion fans.
True but when you take into account the comments on Twitter and Facebook it starts to add up
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

AllBlackBaggie

• Newcomer

« Reply #633 on: June 15, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »
I reckon the guy needs a chance - pointless bagging the bugger.  Let his actions speak for him - if he is useless, there is no doubt he will be dumped like many before him.  JP is running a business, this is what modern day football is about.  Another symptom of modern football is that the England team have very few players in the EPL - money rules, get used to it.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #634 on: June 15, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
Irvine has been out of management for 3 years.....why is that ? It must either be that he decided management wasn't for him and went back to academy coaching jobs OR he couldn't find a job. Out of the blue he now takes over a premier league club, this has to be one of the most illogical appointments in premier league history.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #635 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
Irvine has been out of management for 3 years.....why is that ? It must either be that he decided management wasn't for him and went back to academy coaching jobs OR he couldn't find a job. Out of the blue he now takes over a premier league club, this has to be one of the most illogical appointments in premier league history.
He is still out of management in your sense of the word. He is appointed as head coach and part of a team of management. 

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #636 on: June 15, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »
He is still out of management in your sense of the word. He is appointed as head coach and part of a team of management.

You state a 'team of management' but the Head Coach is still the most influential member of the team, henceforth Adder's point remains valid.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #637 on: June 15, 2014, 10:34:40 PM »
You state a 'team of management' but the Head Coach is still the most influential member of the team, henceforth Adder's point remains valid.
In old skool football maybe but Irvine seems to accept he is here to coach and is working as part of a team and this is probably why the likes of Sherwood get ruled out. But we have to do things in the English way...and maybe that is why we are not successful as a nation in football?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #638 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »
In old skool football maybe but Irvine seems to accept he is here to coach and is working as part of a team and this is probably why the likes of Sherwood get ruled out. But we have to do things in the English way...and maybe that is why we are not successful as a nation in football?

If as a club we choose to not go down the typical English way, why don't we pay a top European coach who is willing to work within the clubs philosophy, rather than appoint one who is better suited to an academy set up.

Alternatively go for someone like Steve McClaren.

The reason as always is down to cost.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #639 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:36 PM »
But in any coaching setup there is ultimately one man with the final say on things and who has the major control of team setup.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »
But in any coaching setup there is ultimately one man with the final say on things and who has the major control of team setup.
One man will ultimately be the fall guy or gain the plaudits but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to provide all the answers. Last year our recruitment was pants and it appears to have been too heavily influenced by Clarke,  he paid the penalty. McDonough became too heavily influenced in the coaching and it was pants, he paid the penalty. A number of players failed to perform and have paidvthe penalty. Peace took too much of a back seat and is paying a penalty with the backlash and criticism. (Its his club, he goes when he wants). Irvine,  for me, is being brought in to do the role that we wanted him first time around for which is to concentrate on the coaching and work with the remainder of the professionals that are appointed within the Club .

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
No, it was never Moyes fellow Baggies, we were only ever good enough for his assistant.
He wasn't Moyes' assistant at Everton.

bagstaff

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »
One man will ultimately be the fall guy or gain the plaudits but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to provide all the answers. Last year our recruitment was pants and it appears to have been too heavily influenced by Clarke,  he paid the penalty. McDonough became too heavily influenced in the coaching and it was pants, he paid the penalty. A number of players failed to perform and have paidvthe penalty. Peace took too much of a back seat and is paying a penalty with the backlash and criticism. (Its his club, he goes when he wants). Irvine,  for me, is being brought in to do the role that we wanted him first time around for which is to concentrate on the coaching and work with the remainder of the professionals that are appointed within the Club .

And several other key players and coaches were and will continue to be pants, haven't paid the penalty and will continue to be paid by mugs like us
"I think quotes are very dangerous things" - Kate Bush
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Ruudi Beglin bagstaff IV

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »
If you read the full wording of what I responded to, he was only making reference to the forum. Having said that, you reckon Albion fans in general are more accepting of it than on the online forums?

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »
I agree. in any setup there as to be a leader of sorts and the trouble with this one is there isn't one and thats been the problem since we have had it,
The only man that brought both of these to the table was uncle Roy.
We have no leader on or off the pitch so get ready for more of the same.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »
Its changed a few times today, but Irvine's Wiki profile currently reads:

'West Bromwich Albion

On 14 June 2014 West Bromwich Albion announced that Irvine would fill their vacant Head Coach role on a 12-month contract,[11] his first management work in the Premier League. He has been referred to as the "Special One" due to his special low cost, lack of ambition appointment by Jeremy Peace.'

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »
He wasn't Moyes' assistant at Everton.
Preston I am told?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2014, 11:26:22 PM »
No better than villa fans.... Don't agree with the appointment fair enough but give the bloke a chance. He is appointed now. The board interviewed him and must have seen something. Do you seriously think the bods on the board want to see us fail. Of course they don't!  Every appointment is a risk...maybe we'll have some cash for players
Don't call me Walt

baggie004

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:04 PM »
No better than villa fans.... Don't agree with the appointment fair enough but give the bloke a chance. He is appointed now. The board interviewed him and must have seen something. Do you seriously think the bods on the board want to see us fail. Of course they don't!  Every appointment is a risk...maybe we'll have some cash for players

i have had the same thoughts reading some of these posts.  Im not pleased, as i was hoping Sherwood was the next man in charge. However, we do have t=get behind the man in charge and follow the team through 'Thick and Thin'
"I may live 3000 miles away! But my blood still runs BLUE AND WHITE!!!   :D

My Godfather told me when i was young: "Life is too short to hate... unless its that dingle Shiite from up the road"

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #649 on: June 15, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »

I have no doubt most supporters will give the bloke a chance, however anyone who thinks he will not be hung out to dry the minute something goes wrong is deluded.

A bigger name would be afforded more time, for that reason alone the board have made a massive mistake.

I fear a Steve Kean type situation, where Irvine will quickly become the scapegoat.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.