Author Topic: Best Ever Albion Player  (Read 8114 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Best Ever Albion Player
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »
Saw the topic about Ben Foster and comments that he is our best keeper ever, not sure how we can decide who is the best player we have ever had in any position as how do you compare current players to those of yesteryear ? We've had many famous players who have served the club well but none of us have ever seen them in the flesh to judge, we've seen bits and pieces from old film reels etc but not in the flesh so how do we judge who is the best ever ?

To many of use names like Billy Bassett, Jesse Pennington, Tommy Glidden and so on are just names but all along with many others have played a part in making this club what it is, Bassett probably the best overall clubman we have ever had serving as player, Director and Chairman spending over 50 years with the club yet more modern players seem to get the accolades as they are fresh in the memory.

We've had some keepers over the years who have played at the top level for us including Bob Roberts who played over 400 games inc 3 FA Cup Finals, Joe Reader played over 350 times, 2 FA Cup Finals and was considered one of the best of his era so how do we decide Foster is better ? All comes down to the era they play in and the level they played at, same with strikers when Astle and Regis are the ones talked about but in the past the likes of WG Richardson and Ronnie Allen went before them.

For me its an impossible task to pick any single player from all who have played for us. No question Foster is the best keeper in the Premier League era and Regis the best striker since the mid 70's when he took over from Astle who was probably the best since he came to the club.

Someone needs to create a program where they can be compared as its beyond my levels  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Best Ever Albion Player
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »
You can't compare. Balls have changed, laws have changed, boots have changed, pitches are completely different. Odemwingie would struggle playing with a leather ball on a muddy field, equally Astle would probably struggle to keep a modern football below the crossbar and defenders of the 50's and 60's wouldn't last 5 minutes before being sent off.

Realistically though, modern players are fitter, train better, and have more competition to get to the pinnacle of the game. Nowadays there's far more people in the world, far more people playing football, and where a person is born has virtually no impact on their chances of playing professional football. I think the ability of the average pro is far greater than it would have been 50 years ago.

As for Albion's greatest, you'd have to compare based on what the players have done for the club. In that respect, there's not many modern players who would make our all time XI. We have great servants like Brunt and Mozza, but they've won nothing, and if we ever have an exceptional player pass through the club the chances are they won't be here long enough to reach 'all-time great' status. Foster is probably the only one, an almost world-class goalkeeper who stayed for 7 years because of his family ties to the area.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »
as a player / servant and a man Bomber will take some beating
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:16:41 PM »
Lots of differing factors I guess.

For me, sheer quality and excitement is the main aim.

Koumas will always take some beating for me. Yes we’ve had Gera, Phillips, Odemwingie, Lukaku etc during my times, but Koumas will always be my idol.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
It's Cunningham by some distance.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
Definitely...way ahead of his time....if he was in his prime now his value would be immeasurable..

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »

So wish a mod had changed that to Brunt without leaving any trace  ;D

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
So wish a mod had changed that to Brunt without leaving any trace  ;D

I think you will find that he is a very close second Fritzl!
MAGA!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »
The best player in my time at the Hawthorns is Andy Hunt. Absolutely love the guy. A brilliant finisher, a great passer, superb temperament. An inspiration for me as a kid.

Best midfielder in my opinion is Graham Dorrans. Same reasons as Hunt.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 10:25:29 PM »
The best player in my time at the Hawthorns is Andy Hunt. Absolutely love the guy. A brilliant finisher, a great passer, superb temperament. An inspiration for me as a kid.

Best midfielder in my opinion is Graham Dorrans. Same reasons as Hunt.

I don't think Jacko will agree  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
I don't think Jacko will agree  :D

Don't think anyone anywhere would agree, even Dorrans wife, who rocked up on here...

That said after 17GD thoughts on Foster and now Andy Hunt it's probably best left alone...  :-X
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 10:33:26 PM »
people look for different things in players, always liked watching a good defender because that's where I played so for that reason Statham was a player who i absolutely loved to watch. for me he was the ultimate left back who should've clocked up at least 50 caps. mention for Len Cantello a player who was far better than the recognition he received.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
Bryan Robson!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »
Without doubt the most skilful player I have seen at our club is Laurie Cunningham.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 10:58:29 PM »
Haven’t seen any players live that came before the early 90’s, but if you look at impact here and on the game as a whole, the likes of Ronnie Allen, Don Howe and Bobby Robson, followed later by Jeff Astle, Tony Brown, Cyrils Regis and Laurie Cunningham take some beating. Bryan Robson however seems to have had the biggest impact of any player, past or present on the game, so by that metric....

Of those I have seen, Peter Odemwingie’s performances over a 2 year period were special, and we also got to see a young Romelu Lukaku who may yet go on to lift some major silverware in the second half of his career. I probably enjoyed watching Jason Koumas more than any Albion player, but he was far from the best. I still hold out hope I might get to see a player here who goes on to join the conversation.
Boing Boing

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 11:04:55 PM »
 :D Difference of a cigarette paper but Bomber and Bobby Hope...in my time as a supporter 1964 onwards. ;D

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
Peter Odemwingie

For that day in February that shall be forever in our minds and backed up with many others .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »
Idolised big Cyril growing up with a wee soft spot for wee Willie

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »

Don't think anyone anywhere would agree, even Dorrans wife, who rocked up on here...

That said after 17GD thoughts on Foster and now Andy Hunt it's probably best left alone...  :-X

I suppose it's a good job I don't need your seal of approval then  :-* (patiently waits for the "seal" puns)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
Always feel a little disheartened when topics like this come up as it makes me realise I wasn't fortunate enough to have seen some of the players mentioned.

The likes of Regis, Astle, Cunningham, Robson and Bomber etc were all before my time.

During my time 'following' the Albion, it's hard to pinpoint who I think was the best ever player.

A list of:

Foster
Sneekes
Hughes
Taylor
Odemwingie

Have all been top class, then you add into how good Kevin Phillips, McInnes, Hoult have been for us, Brunt/Morrison have been brilliant servants amongst others.

For me my favourite player was Jason Koumas, was the most 'naturally gifted' player and exciting player to watch. Would get you off your seat and you genuinely sensed he would make something happen.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
For his record and personal commitment to the Club, it has to be Tony Brown, closely followed by our best ever striker, Jeff Astle. Right up there too, is the best passer of a football that I have ever seen, Bobby Hope. Bryan Robson achieved so much but much of it was during his time at Man Utd, the three that I have rated the most spent all (or nearly all) of their careers at WBA, surely a mark of greatness in itself?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »
Back in the 50's I always had a soft spot for Maurice (Cowboy) Setter's, because, as a young boy sitting on the wall round the pitch one game, the ball went out of play and I retrieved and handed it to Setters, he  said "thanks" and ruffled my hair. I didn't wash my hair for months  :D.

He was a tough tackling, uncompromising winghalf, in the days when we had a formation of Goalkeeper, Right Back, Left Back, Right Half, Centre Half, Left Half, Outside Right, Inside Right, Center Forward, Inside Left, Outside Left. A 2-3-5 formation, but then tactics and formations got in the way and kind of spoilt it for me  somewhat ;D

If you're wondering about "Cowboy" that was his nickname as he was bow legged and looked as though he'd just got off a horse  :D

Innocent and Happy Days, shame that such memories are lost and not passed on to younger generations, as eventually they will be consigned to eternity.  :'(
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
:D Difference of a cigarette paper but Bomber and Bobby Hope...in my time as a supporter 1964 onwards. ;D

Agreed and raise you your namesake.  A tricky pacy winger who scored goals and made them. He took all the heavy rubbish from the tough guys and still kept coming back for more. He could go inside or outside, cross a good ball and take defenders on in the box. He stuck with us and for me, in todays protected environment, would be easily worth 2 odemwhingies, plus at least one Koumas and a fit on form Phillips as well

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »
Impossible to say,but Bobby Hope was top man for me.
He could put that ball ( wet heavy leather don't forget) on a sixpence with that left foot,and people talk about bruntys left peg,sorry guys he couldn't hold a candle to Bobby.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »
In my lifetime:

Goalkeeper - John Osborne
Full back - Derek Statham
Centre Half - John Wile
Midfielder - Sir Bobby Hope  ***** best player   *****
Winger - Laurie Cunningham
Centre Forward - Ronnie Allen
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride