Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 773400 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #3075 on: November 13, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »
That's correct, I believe gate receipts etc are going to a charity of FA choice, Rooney will be able to collect for his charity outside of the turnstiles etc or something along those lines.

Which makes the whole thing even more bizarre in my opinion.

Previous poster identified that the gate receipts [or a portion of] are going to a charity of their choice - not Rooney's.

It is obvious that the game has been mis badged and someone in the FA has dropped a real clanger here.........if they had said from day 1 that it was a Rooney testemonial, we would have all known before we bought the tickets - or not as the case may be.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:29:12 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3076 on: November 13, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »
It does have the feel of a testimonial to it. I believe he's only coming on for the last 10 minutes or so (or so I have read) and the England players have said he can have the armband as and when he does come on.

Would this have been planned if Rooney had been a few caps closer to Shilton's record?

Just seems a strange thing to do and where do we draw the line with things like this in the future.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3077 on: November 13, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
Previous poster identified that the gate receipts [or a portion of] are going to a charity of their choice - not Rooney's.

It is obvious that the game has been mis badged and someone in the FA has dropped a real clanger here.........if they had said from day 1 that it was a Rooney testermonial, we would have all known before we bought the tickets - or not as the case may be.

See my link above, the FA themselves say "The proceeds from the England v USA will go back into the English game.". The gate receipts are not going to charity at all.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3078 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08:19 PM »
All international friendlies are testimonials. It's a crying shame that Rooney (still a pro footballer remember) wont be the worst striker England select from.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3079 on: November 17, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
Don't agree with this fake cap for Rooney at all.
What's he done to earn this cap?
Fled to USA to play.
An England cap should be earned through hard work and skill not given away,so he can get his 120 cap?
Its cheapened the shirt,what is the FA thinking?
We look forward with our team not back,most of his play for 119 caps hasn't been up to scratch for me anyway.
Overated  player,the only reward he wants is money.
Sorry,bad decision.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3080 on: November 17, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
Don't agree with this fake cap for Rooney at all.
What's he done to earn this cap?
Fled to USA to play.
An England cap should be earned through hard work and skill not given away,so he can get his 120 cap?
Its cheapened the shirt,what is the FA thinking?
We look forward with our team not back,most of his play for 119 caps hasn't been up to scratch for me anyway.
Overated  player,the only reward he wants is money.
Sorry,bad decision.

Yep! Threw his toys out of the pram to get a £300,000 a week deal at United!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3081 on: November 18, 2018, 06:27:27 PM »
Oh I see another Rooney bashing again..

Overrated  :o :-X what a load of codswallop

Fair play to the FA on this gesture, the man deserves all the plaudits for me...class player
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3082 on: November 18, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »
Brilliant result today v Croatia

Deserved the win I reckon, great resilience and strength of character to come back from 1 down

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3083 on: November 19, 2018, 01:15:05 AM »
Brilliant result today v Croatia

Deserved the win I reckon, great resilience and strength of character to come back from 1 down

Switzerland knocking Belgium is a huge help also. If the Dutch could qualify over the French there would be a lot of arguments to say we would be favourites.
O Albion we love you

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3084 on: November 19, 2018, 01:17:21 AM »
Oh I see another Rooney bashing again..

Overrated  :o :-X what a load of codswallop

Fair play to the FA on this gesture, the man deserves all the plaudits for me...class player

But why should it qualify him for this random extra cap over other, arguably more deserving England greats? Let's be honest here, he had one great tournament and then did the square root of sod all after on the big stage. Rooney fanboys getting offended over the criticism is bizarre. He served England well in his international career, but that ended 2 years ago and it should stay that way. If it was a true testimonial with gate receipts going to his charity then that would be fair enough. It was a weird circus, nothing more.

Meanwhile, great result England!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3085 on: November 19, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
Fantasic result yesterday.

Over the last two games, we have really looked comfortable on the ball, knocking it round and looking a threat when we go forward.

Never really had to get out of 3rd gear against USA.

Started very well yesterday and could have grabbed a couple early goals, took a set up with the Croats goal and got back into the game and won it at the end.

Can only see a bright future for this crop of youngsters coming through.

Fair play to Southgate blooding Sancho into the squad aswell, may give some of the other talented youngsters sitting on the big teams under 23 squads a kick up the backside and go and get a move to play some regular football.

If Sancho would have stayed at City, he wouldn't be anywhere near the England squad yet.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3086 on: November 19, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »
Switzerland knocking Belgium is a huge help also. If the Dutch could qualify over the French there would be a lot of arguments to say we would be favourites.

Called it...
I would fancy England against any of the other 3. Obviously the Swiss are the weakest and the kindest draw for us.
O Albion we love you

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3087 on: March 19, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »
yawn, anybody doing the England games coming up
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3088 on: March 19, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »
Until googling it just, I didn't even know who the fixtures were against.

Nice to see a few of the younger players been given a call up, Rice, Hudson-Odoi, Sancho etc.

Think Ward Prowse can count himself unlucky to not have got a call up. Also surprised the palace full back, Wan Basaka? hasn't had a call up, he's put in some good performances this year.

Powelly

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3089 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:17 AM »
yawn, anybody doing the England games coming up

Not doing these 2 but I know a couple of Albion going to Montenegro.

I'm booked up for Portugal in June and Prague and Sofia in October  :)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3090 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
I'm off to Montenegro. Flying Sunday to Albania, spending the day & night in Tirana then coach across to Podgorcia Monday morning

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3091 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »
Very good first half, Sterling looking a class act.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3092 on: March 23, 2019, 08:07:38 AM »
Really starting to get excited about this England team.  The future is so bright. Let's hope these kids fulfil their potential and we finally, after all these years, lift a trophy.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3093 on: March 23, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »
Strange but scary didn't think we played particularly well especially first 10 mins second half. Sancho looks a prospect but centre backs still a concern as Walker always has a mistake in him
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:33:25 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3094 on: March 25, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »
good luck to all the baggies flying out to watch england tonight
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3095 on: March 25, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
Strange but scary didn't think we player particularly well especially first 10 mins second half. Sancho looks a prospect but centre backs still a concern as Walker always has a mistake in him

This for me is the biggest concern for crunch games against the best teams - I feel like he would be very liable to making a very costly mistake.

Same goes for Stones (as he did in the WC semi-final).

We do look good going forward but in all honesty our weaknesses won't be tested in this qualifying group.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3096 on: March 25, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »
This for me is the biggest concern for crunch games against the best teams - I feel like he would be very liable to making a very costly mistake.

Same goes for Stones (as he did in the WC semi-final).

We do look good going forward but in all honesty our weaknesses won't be tested in this qualifying group.

half time of the Montenegro game and its like watching a Mowbray team against a poor side, look great going forwards but the defence is scarily exposed by lack of defensive midfield.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3097 on: March 25, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »
half time of the Montenegro game and its like watching a Mowbray team against a poor side, look great going forwards but the defence is scarily exposed by lack of defensive midfield.

Don't think they've been that bad, CHO poor for the goal but you have to accept that with those 3 attacking players.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3098 on: March 25, 2019, 09:35:30 PM »
Like the look of this Hudson-Odoi very comfortable on the ball and still a novice.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3099 on: March 25, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »

Don't think they've been that bad, CHO poor for the goal but you have to accept that with those 3 attacking players.

No tactics were ok for the calibre of opponent, but we can't be so open when playing the top sides
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!