Author Topic: Branislav Ivanovic signs for WBA  (Read 38509 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2020, 03:27:14 PM »
Disastrous potential signing, can you imagine Harvey Barnes running at Ivanovic !??

I cannot see how this can possibly be sanctioned.

I remember when Lescotts legs went, when GMac could no longer get away with using his excellent positioning to bail him out, and Lugano - oh dear, Gary Neville being embarrassed at the Hawthorns

Ageing defenders are not capable they fall off the edge of a cliff, not gradually decline, this is a bad, bad move
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:45:56 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »
I've seen us before try to consolidate other parts of the team whilst neglecting the main priority. Ivanovic potentially takes away valuable funds from other urgent priorities, most notably a proven goalscorer, not a makeweight. Also a higher priority is the central mid position where we urgently need either Krovinovic or Gallagher.
unless it allows us to sell a cb to raise funds for the required area. I’d hazard a guess ivanovic is a better cb than Bartley at least.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:46:32 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
Diego Godin is going on a free transfer from Inter to Cagliari.

If you are in for 36 year old Ivanovic, surely you are better of getting the 34 year old who was arguably the best defender in the world 4 years back?

Might not be possible but you would think we could outbid Cagliari.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:45:28 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Boing Boing

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
Again, i am not fussed if its Ivanovic or not, but i can see the logic to signing a proven quality defender for reasons stated previously, most defenders in their prime wont be joining Albion, thats why we have the likes of Ajayi, Kipre and O'Shea who have done well and now have the chance to step up.

For what its worth, a few of my closest mates are Villa fans (i know, i know!) and they all said the moment John Terry went to Villa, he just settled the defence down, the panicking stopped, it was when Johnstone was on loan there and they said he looked a quality assured keeper with Terry infront of him compared to the nervous one he had been before.

Rightly or wrongly it looks like Johnstone is number 1 so maybe Slaven has seen with the current crop he is nervous and wants a proven leader and organiser in the defence, even if that player will have a few miles on the clock.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:45:05 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »
Ivanovic is another really tough one to judge. We've seen players deteriorate fast in their 30's, and Ivanovic is will be 37 before the end of the season.

Hopefully if the club is really considering it they've really gone over data on him. Clearly the head will be fine, but the key is whether the sharpness and mobility is still there. He's not played a game since May though and 6 months could make a huge difference.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:42:42 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2020, 04:08:32 PM »
If the Ivanovic deal is a back fill for a trade out then it is much more likely to be Hegazi than Bartley. Hegazi is a big name in Egyptian football and that might draw interest from the Gulf Leagues he has 2 years left on his contract. Bartley by contrast has 1 year left on a contract is saleable into the Championship a league without a pot to pee in.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:42:19 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
Again, i am not fussed if its Ivanovic or not, but i can see the logic to signing a proven quality defender for reasons stated previously, most defenders in their prime wont be joining Albion, thats why we have the likes of Ajayi, Kipre and O'Shea who have done well and now have the chance to step up.

For what its worth, a few of my closest mates are Villa fans (i know, i know!) and they all said the moment John Terry went to Villa, he just settled the defence down, the panicking stopped, it was when Johnstone was on loan there and they said he looked a quality assured keeper with Terry infront of him compared to the nervous one he had been before.

Rightly or wrongly it looks like Johnstone is number 1 so maybe Slaven has seen with the current crop he is nervous and wants a proven leader and organiser in the defence, even if that player will have a few miles on the clock.
If we want a proven leader and organiser for the defence, can't think of anyone better than Foster, who will be available, and who knows the club.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:41:56 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2020, 07:35:23 PM »
Fourth official on twitter claims Ivanovic has his medical with us tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:41:25 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »
Fourth official on twitter claims Ivanovic has his medical with us tomorrow.

Wonder if it will be in the morning with a view of him being involved on the weekend...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »
Wonder if it will be in the morning with a view of him being involved on the weekend...

Throwing him in at the deep end!

Would surprise me but crazier things have happened.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
New topic created following confirmation from the Perce
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »
Still don't see anything wrong with this signing. Experience, free transfer, won't be huge wages, squad player and won't play all the time. Would rather him in than Bartley (seeing as no one on here rates him as PL defender).
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
Madeley saying he was on massive wages at ZSP. Assuming that has come down.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »
Madeley saying he was on massive wages at ZSP. Assuming that has come down.

It has come down to zero at the moment so what he was on should have little relevance now.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
True but footballers are that filthy rich they won't accept cheeky wba wage offers, they would rather retire. I'd be very surprised if he was 'cheap'
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:24:36 AM by gazberg »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2020, 11:20:50 AM »
True but footballers are that filthy rich they won't accept cheeky wba wage offers, they would reather retire. I'd be very surrised if he was 'cheap'

People like money. £15k a week at any age is still incredible.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2020, 11:23:06 AM »

Not if you don't need the money. If we get him at 15k then i'd be happy with that.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »

You can AT LEAST treble that.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »
I would be shocked if we went for him on anything over £25k a week (which is cheap in premier league terms but still mind blowing for us normal people!)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
Slaven seems to be pushing this one, either we are looking to sell a defender or he does not rate Cedric especially after comments in press.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2020, 11:54:37 AM »
Slaven seems to be pushing this one, either we are looking to sell a defender or he does not rate Cedric especially after comments in press.

Wrong thread (feel free to point me the right way anyone) but what comments were they?
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
I'd be happy with this as we desperately need some experience at the back. He's been playing regularly at Zenit too which bodes well. Let's not forget McAuley who was a similar age and never looked out of place at this level.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
I'd be happy with this as we desperately need some experience at the back. He's been playing regularly at Zenit too which bodes well. Let's not forget McAuley who was a similar age and never looked out of place at this level.

McAuley was signed in his early 30s. Ivanovic hasn't played a match since May.

If Slav wants him I'm on board, but it's not a masterstroke by any metric imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
McAuley was signed in his early 30s. Ivanovic hasn't played a match since May.

If Slav wants him I'm on board, but it's not a masterstroke by any metric imo.

Agreed. Probably as good as we could hope for seeing as we are shopping in the Bargain bins.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »
This is madness.  Why would we wasting a squad number on a player who hasn't played at EPL pace for years.  This goes back to the days of buying old timers with the experience to rip us off.  What happened to reducing the average age of the squad - we need to reduce the median age as well

As someone points out in his strap line, Einstein's definition of madness was trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes