Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754715 times)

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #450 on: June 15, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »
:'( We will be the "whipping boys" of the Premiership. 20th spot guaranteed.

We won't be able to keep hold of Foster, Mulumbu, Olsson, Sess,and Yacob....what a ballsup of an appointment.

Who the hell is going to sign for us with an unknown Premiership coach.

WTF is happening at our club???

That's exactly what dr evil wants. High earners out - championship and academy in
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:41:54 AM by LiamTheBaggie »

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #451 on: June 15, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »
Gutted by Alan Irvine's appointment.
Just feels like board have stuck two fingers up the supporters yet again.
Might as well have just appointed Downing and Kiely.
I just hope that, having thought Gary Megson was a dire appointment at the time, Irvine pleasantly surprises me in same way

That said, People saying 'how will we attract players now?' ...realistically, who did you think we were going to sign? It won't make a jot of difference to the kind of players we  were always likely to bring in.

Also, I understand Sheff Wed slagging off the appointment but I do treat with suspicion the Preston supporters having a dig. Have looked back at  articles from the time and people were shocked to see him  go. Wiki  even says 'His departure from Preston caused outrage from fans'
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:12:41 AM by Albertbaggie »

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: June 15, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Can you imagine your kids handing you an Albion Season Ticket for Fathers day? You would be proper P**sed Off!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #453 on: June 15, 2014, 10:15:46 AM »
As Irvine and Terry Burton -  two people who you would expect to have a big say in signings -  have spent recent years involved in Academy football who will decide on what players we sign for next season - apart from JP? Could it be our friend Garlick, who was involved in the signing of such 'super stars' as Anichebe, Sinclair and Thievy! OK, we have our network of scouts like all other clubs, but surely we need top-grade football professionals to scout players before they are signed.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #454 on: June 15, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Having slept on it I'm still seething. Just cannot see the logic in this appointment. It like one massive slap in the face for the fans.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #455 on: June 15, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
Just out of interest is there anybody happy with the apointment?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: June 15, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »

Perhaps Alan Irvine, can't think of many others.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

mifos

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: June 15, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
WBAFCofficial @WBAFCofficial  ·  4m

Irvine will complete his move to The Hawthorns once he has officially signed off from his current role as Everton’s academy manager 2/3

If its not official yet then can somebody with contacts at the club please contact Jeremy Peace, sit him down and make him read this thread, and get him to change his mind. I know it would be a PR disaster, but better that than stick with this decision.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #458 on: June 15, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »
Sadly we're stuck with him ffs. :-X Protesting will do jack sh#t .
BOING BOING

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #459 on: June 15, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
One thing is for certain is JP needs to address the meltdown. He needs to come out justify his decision. Without him doing this there are absolutely now logical reasons for this appointment. Not holding me breath on this mind.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #460 on: June 15, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
The notion that the owner of a successful, multi-million-pound business cares less about it than its customers is laughable. We may be bitterly disappointed if the club are relegated, but none of us are going to lose millions of pounds because of it.

Unless someone can give a remotely plausible reason why JP would want to destroy his largest asset, we must assume that he simply thinks Alan Irvine is the best man available for the position. It seems unreasonable to hang them both in effigy before Irvine has done anything.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #461 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »
his only criticisms for his former jobs are that he spent his money incorrectly and played "boring" football

And relegated a solid Championship club in Sheffield Wednesday.

And relegated a solid Championship club in Preston North End.

You forgot those two highly important pieces of information.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #462 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
A mate if mine has a theory that Ferdinand's contract was complicated with Spurs and we couldn't sort it out so we have appointed Irvine as a stop gap until the contract issue is sorted out before we appoint Sherwood. Reckons the 12 month rolling contract proves this and he'll be gone in 3.

If only this was true.
Not a chance IMO.
If they wanted to go down that road why not appoint Sherwood now and Ferdinand comes on board in 3 months time.
The obvious truth is what happened on Friday and a stumbling block was hit where they couldn't agree a rate for Ferdinand and co.
£100m in this season and they couldn't agree a rate for two coaches.
Poxy club
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
I have found reading this forum since the appointment quite interesting. It would appear nobody is happy with the appointment but peoples responses go from giving him a chance, to those who seem to be desperate to organise protests, banners, etc.

Personally if you wish to make a stand then to me that would to ask for Season Ticket refunds, Greenock Baggies post was quite touching as there is somebody who travels thousands of miles to watch his team (and i know there are load of others who do the same) and this appointment has pushed him too far so he is wanting a refund, hope he changes his mind but if not fair play to him for making his personal stand, no agenda just personal action.

I think the club have got it wrong on a few occasions, i think its poor form to let the news break when the whole country is focusing on the England match, they must of known what the news would be greeted like. Also i think the last 12-18 months wrong appointments have been made, i still dont understand the Clarke was a failure thing, yes we were struggling and it was boring, but he also got us our highest ever Prem finish and we werent in the relegation Zone when he left, whatever factors, built on the back of Roys team, lucky with Lukaku, etc the facts stay the same so on that basis, overall i would say Clarke was a successful appointment, previous managers before him the last 10 years also achieved certain milestones so to say constant wrong appointments is harsh.

Garlick and McDonough it would seem were mistakes, one has now gone, the other has been moved elsewhere and we have brought in somebody who has been involved with football all his life and is well respected, on paper that would seem we have learnt from the mistakes, of course it could go wrong but surely worth giving him a chance? Same applies to Alan Irvine, Pepe Mel was a strange one, ultimately he kept us up and that was his remit, however it would it wasnt down to him, things werent right and he was sacked at earliest opportunity and we have looked at another angle in Irvine.

Like i think 99.9% of Albion fans, Irvine wouldnt of been my first choice, probably wouldnt of even made my top 10 but he is here now. JP and Burton must of seen something and got a plan that they see with him and can work together, we tried the older 'proven' types last year and it got us nowhere so it would seem we are targeting the young hungry players, ideally from our own academy, the academy has to serve a purpose and if young players can see a route to the first team, maybe they wont clear off to Liverpool aged 14, etc. Also from what we know there were some bad eggs in the dressing room last year, perhaps in the players who have left some of those bad eggs have gone and new younger hungrier players can come in and not be part of the old 'clique' its a new start.

The comments from Preston and Sheffield Wednesday fans arent great towards Irvine, but maybe with Burton taking care of the day to day rubbish, ie - player disputes, contracts, etc then Irvine can focus on the coaching which would appear is his main attribute, we have 4 x coaches now it would seem (that in itself could be a bit confusing) but if Irvine comes in, lets the players know who is boss, it may just work, we are building a new team which needs to be coached, Irvine can certainly do that, its whether his managerial skills are upto scratch.

I have major reservations about the appointment but now he is here, its going to be a new look management, a new look team, (even a new look kit!) so i want to try and look forward to seeing that with hungry players, not over paid premadonnas, and see what happens before writing us off, if it goes t*ts up then JP has to face all the flak that comes his.

One final thing, there seems to be this obsession that we are trying to things on the cheap, we want to be in the championship (he didnt actually say that), in what way would that benefit JP or anybody at all? JP is trying to buy shares at £3k a pop i believe? If we go down we lose millions and millions in value off the club, our income reduces greatly, and after incurring 5 years of premiership income and outgoings, there is no way any sane person would actual want us to go down as a business, let alone the bloke who runs it! I have backed JP but i think this time he really has put his neck on the line but lets see what happens, we could be an all out entertaining side doing well, or we could be bottom without a point but surely give people a chance, especially when probably 8 times out of 10 they have got it right in the past.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »
I feel like we have been sent down to the championship already .  >:(

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #465 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »
its going to be a new look management

Is it really?

We had the perfect opportunity to refresh the whole club and the management set up and we've failed to utilise it by keeping Keith Downing and Dean Kiely - christ knows why.

We've now appointed a failed football manager who has two relegations too his name at the only two clubs he has ever managed.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #466 on: June 15, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
I have found reading this forum since the appointment quite interesting. It would appear nobody is happy with the appointment but peoples responses go from giving him a chance, to those who seem to be desperate to organise protests, banners, etc.

Personally if you wish to make a stand then to me that would to ask for Season Ticket refunds, Greenock Baggies post was quite touching as there is somebody who travels thousands of miles to watch his team (and i know there are load of others who do the same) and this appointment has pushed him too far so he is wanting a refund, hope he changes his mind but if not fair play to him for making his personal stand, no agenda just personal action.

I think the club have got it wrong on a few occasions, i think its poor form to let the news break when the whole country is focusing on the England match, they must of known what the news would be greeted like. Also i think the last 12-18 months wrong appointments have been made, i still dont understand the Clarke was a failure thing, yes we were struggling and it was boring, but he also got us our highest ever Prem finish and we werent in the relegation Zone when he left, whatever factors, built on the back of Roys team, lucky with Lukaku, etc the facts stay the same so on that basis, overall i would say Clarke was a successful appointment, previous managers before him the last 10 years also achieved certain milestones so to say constant wrong appointments is harsh.

Garlick and McDonough it would seem were mistakes, one has now gone, the other has been moved elsewhere and we have brought in somebody who has been involved with football all his life and is well respected, on paper that would seem we have learnt from the mistakes, of course it could go wrong but surely worth giving him a chance? Same applies to Alan Irvine, Pepe Mel was a strange one, ultimately he kept us up and that was his remit, however it would it wasnt down to him, things werent right and he was sacked at earliest opportunity and we have looked at another angle in Irvine.

Like i think 99.9% of Albion fans, Irvine wouldnt of been my first choice, probably wouldnt of even made my top 10 but he is here now. JP and Burton must of seen something and got a plan that they see with him and can work together, we tried the older 'proven' types last year and it got us nowhere so it would seem we are targeting the young hungry players, ideally from our own academy, the academy has to serve a purpose and if young players can see a route to the first team, maybe they wont clear off to Liverpool aged 14, etc. Also from what we know there were some bad eggs in the dressing room last year, perhaps in the players who have left some of those bad eggs have gone and new younger hungrier players can come in and not be part of the old 'clique' its a new start.

The comments from Preston and Sheffield Wednesday fans arent great towards Irvine, but maybe with Burton taking care of the day to day rubbish, ie - player disputes, contracts, etc then Irvine can focus on the coaching which would appear is his main attribute, we have 4 x coaches now it would seem (that in itself could be a bit confusing) but if Irvine comes in, lets the players know who is boss, it may just work, we are building a new team which needs to be coached, Irvine can certainly do that, its whether his managerial skills are upto scratch.

I have major reservations about the appointment but now he is here, its going to be a new look management, a new look team, (even a new look kit!) so i want to try and look forward to seeing that with hungry players, not over paid premadonnas, and see what happens before writing us off, if it goes t*ts up then JP has to face all the flak that comes his.

One final thing, there seems to be this obsession that we are trying to things on the cheap, we want to be in the championship (he didnt actually say that), in what way would that benefit JP or anybody at all? JP is trying to buy shares at £3k a pop i believe? If we go down we lose millions and millions in value off the club, our income reduces greatly, and after incurring 5 years of premiership income and outgoings, there is no way any sane person would actual want us to go down as a business, let alone the bloke who runs it! I have backed JP but i think this time he really has put his neck on the line but lets see what happens, we could be an all out entertaining side doing well, or we could be bottom without a point but surely give people a chance, especially when probably 8 times out of 10 they have got it right in the past.

Must admit 79, I've got a lot of empathy with your argument. I think it's fair to say that Alan Irvine has a totally different brief with us than he did with SW or PNE,  he will be a component part of a coaching and tactical team, & as you say, he won't have to persue transfer targets.
I have to say, it's not an appointment that inspires me, & I do have some reservations about his tactical nouse, but I can see that it's a structure that could work.
Personally, I think the alternative appointment would have been an absolute car crash, Tim Sherwood would have wanted it his way or no way, in my opinion, that's what swayed it in the end.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #467 on: June 15, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »
The notion that the owner of a successful, multi-million-pound business cares less about it than its customers is laughable. We may be bitterly disappointed if the club are relegated, but none of us are going to lose millions of pounds because of it.

Unless someone can give a remotely plausible reason why JP would want to destroy his largest asset, we must assume that he simply thinks Alan Irvine is the best man available for the position. It seems unreasonable to hang them both in effigy before Irvine has done anything.

Well said Quakes couldn't agree more. Anybody suggesting he's milking a cash cow and trying to take us down needs their head looking at, you can't do both. Here's to miracles happening.

And agree with other posters that although on paper Sherwood looks better, that appointment could have torn the club apart - moan all you like about how Peace didn't want to pay top dollar for him and his team, but nobody should be held ransom at their own business. You give someone like Sherwood an inch and he'll take a mile.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #468 on: June 15, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
Sorry having slept on it and read all posts on here the conclusion is still the same............ It is an unjustifiable appointment announced at a time to minimize the immediate response from supporters (that failed too)toward both the incoming man and the person ultimately responsible for making the decision. It totally defies logic and can only assume it was an appointment borne of desperation having spent 5 weeks apparently faffing about, surely due diligence results wouldnt have altered much from December / January time, only to see your preferred option pull the plug at the eleventh hour. The appointment itself goes against so much of the Chairmans statement to CL at the start of the managerial search . As yet we have no major sponsor,cant see this appointment helping that situation much,and it would seem a kit for next season that is going to fly in the face of tradition how much more are we expected to accept without saying or doing diddly, as i said at the beginning unjustifiable and imo unsupportable appoitment and i for one will be doing my best to let those that made this inexpicable choice know it!!! >:( >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #469 on: June 15, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
Sadly we're stuck with him ffs. :-X Protesting will do jack sh#t .
better to try and fail than not to try at all!!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #470 on: June 15, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »

Must admit 79, I've got a lot of empathy with your argument. I think it's fair to say that Alan Irvine has a totally different brief with us than he did with SW or PNE,  he will be a component part of a coaching and tactical team, & as you say, he won't have to persue transfer targets.
I have to say, it's not an appointment that inspires me, & I do have some reservations about his tactical nouse, but I can see that it's a structure that could work.
Personally, I think the alternative appointment would have been an absolute car crash, Tim Sherwood would have wanted it his way or no way, in my opinion, that's what swayed it in the end.

Isn't that what you want from a leader? Somebody to come in and instill a bit of confidence around the place and show all and sundry whose boss?.
Not saying that's what Sherwood would have done but that's what you want
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #471 on: June 15, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
I thought i had a nightmare when i woke then i realised reality.I am probably at my lowest ebb in a long time as far as wba are concerned
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #472 on: June 15, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »

I wouldn't say I was happy by any stretch of the imagination but I'm also not avoiding the medicine cabinet like many on here, Irvine is a highly respected coach within the game, anyone would think we've employed Kim Jong-il for gods sake, here's a novel idea, how about we give the guy a chance (crouch's back down behind the sofa).
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #473 on: June 15, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »
I must be the only fan on here who's pleased, Peace has finally got his man a highly respected coach, who has been a successful number two, is liked by his former players, has a history of working with young players, is cheap and most importantly is Scottish.

Welcome aboard Steve Clarke.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: June 15, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
Well said Quakes couldn't agree more. Anybody suggesting he's milking a cash cow and trying to take us down needs their head looking at, you can't do both. Here's to miracles happening.

And agree with other posters that although on paper Sherwood looks better, that appointment could have torn the club apart - moan all you like about how Peace didn't want to pay top dollar for him and his team, but nobody should be held ransom at their own business. You give someone like Sherwood an inch and he'll take a mile.

In that case you'd expect JP to go down the 'safe' route and employ some middle of the road coach with a reasonable amount of Prem experience. Granted any appointment is risky but this one is downright stupidity. JP really is playing russian roulette with his interests.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club