Author Topic: 27 Oct 2018 Albion 1 Blackburn Rovers 1  (Read 33891 times)

baggiesboots

• Baby Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
Decent first half, but we're painfully lacking pace + quality through the side as has been the case for a number of seasons.  Creativity a massive issue, not helped by having a changing room full of immobile,aging CM players who struggle to run. Too reliant on Phillips to create everything, making us look unbalanced and predictable in attack.  I thought in the 2nd half our substitutes killed the game off effectively,  offering no threat due to more ponderous build up play. Good to see Townsend get in the team, played well. We would see better results playing 4 5 1 with the players we have at the club right now. 

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »

Brunt will be back in midfield next game.

First corner we had with an outfield player in goal we took an outswinger to near the edge of the box. The mind boggles sometimes it really does.

It needed Phillips to put it down the keepers throats with bodies running across him at the ball.

I could not believe it. At least by the second or third corner we realised what we needed to do.

Amateur.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

pensnett stu

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
Agree mostly with Dexy with what he said, to add I'm not impressed with Bartley by any means,We may as well have kept McCauley , but suspect Cutting the wage bill had more to do with that,but to blame Bartley for there goal when he tackled there player and it richoched to Reed and two Albiion players backed off him together instead of one closing him down, I don't see, same as when where trying to play out from the back, no  midfielder comes or makes a run to receive it.Untill we get some pace and movement from midfield we'll struggle against teams with pace IE Derby,Blackburn, even Bristol City whom we got lucky with,I Wish Darren all the best but I'm afraid if he doesn't change to a back 4 at the start of a match to make us solid, and get more movement in midfield, I'm sure we'll be mid table by the end of the season. That's my moan over for this week. Up the Baggies😀

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
Substitutions changed the game. Should have been Burke on for Sako,keeps the pace in the side and he's been playing up front for U23's and scoring so would have allowed us to keep the same shape, rather than over loading the midfield and allowing Blackburn possession.

Beginning to get really frustrated with Moore's inability to make substitutions that improve the game (for us), apart from Sheff Wed away I can't remember any of his substitutions having a positive effect for us.

Rodriguez should have done better with his chance in the first half.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2018, 12:18:56 PM »
Substitutions changed the game. Should have been Burke on for Sako,keeps the pace in the side and he's been playing up front for U23's and scoring so would have allowed us to keep the same shape, rather than over loading the midfield and allowing Blackburn possession.

Beginning to get really frustrated with Moore's inability to make substitutions that improve the game (for us), apart from Sheff Wed away I can't remember any of his substitutions having a positive effect for us.

Rodriguez should have done better with his chance in the first half.

Substitutions were ridiculous. Taking off Sako was sensible but he should've been replaced by Burke like you say. Instead Hoolahan came on adding an extra man in midfield but we then had nothing up front and Blackburn controlled possession because their backline was high and comfortable. Burke's pace would've caused them problems and they would've had to defend deeper to deal with that threat. Jay Rod is no threat in behind and Blackburn knew it.

Then at 1-1 Moore takes off Barnes and replaces him with Brunt. WHY?? Barnes wasn't having his best game but he can produce something at any time. To replace him with Brunt just added another paceless, deeper lying player who likes the ball at his feet.

Crazy.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »
I feel it is as though we have lost.
Yet another 2 points given/thrown away.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »

you sometimes talk a good game but no nothing about football . you should be there every game you live much closer
That's quite enough calling of other members / wind up etc thanks.
Posts will be removed and then other action taken if needed
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:04:58 PM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »
JRod needs dropping, Dawson not celebrating says it all. I would happily take £15 million for the pair if it meant getting a decent midfielder in and another Defender. Not sure why he didn't bring Burke on considering we lacked pace up-top again, Ahh well we wanted this football apparently. Take our loan signings out and we would be lower half of the table easily.

This seasons going to be crazy, Villa 17th yet 5 points off 8th place Blues who are 6 points off top.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2018, 07:18:03 PM »
Dawson's goal looked like an OG in real time from where we were.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »

Apart from Bartlett being Bartley you are bang on right. Rodriguez open goal miss was absolutely shocking and so costly, you cannot afford that type of thing.

4-3-3 is a must, the shape of the team is just not right.

Have bizarrely fond memories of Kevin Bartlett....sure I once saw him run 10 yards before realising he'd left the ball behind in the mud.   

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »
Wasn't a great game but I do think there were some positives:
Dawson and Tosin looked much better.
Morrison had a decent game
Townsend did little wrong
Sako looked strong and could be a far better foil to Gayle than Rodriguez. Was a bit selfish though at times.
I'll probably get slated for this but even Bartley looked slightly less rubbish.

Negatives:
Rodriguez poor again and showed no composure when missing his only chances.
Livermore still avoiding the ball wherever possible, scared to take responsibility
Phillips outswinging corners whilst they had no keeper.

Biggest disappointment for me though, yet again, and it's becoming impossible to defend the management, were the substitutions. Combined age of over a 100 ffs. gave us no energy whatsoever and took away our only decent outlets in Barnes and Sako. Ok, I appreciate that Barnes didn't have the best game and Sako was tiring but, if you take them off you have to inject some pace at least.
Personally, I think Moore was scared of losing the game so played it safe, then they go down to 10 men and we have no-one on the pitch who can get at them. Missed opportunity.
He needs to stop talking about lessons to be learned and things to work on and start putting it into practice because, at the minute, he just keeps doing the same thing over and over again.
Just to be clear though, this is not a call for his head, I want him here for the long term and am generally pleased with the way we play and our position in the table, I just want us to address some glaring issues so that we can become even stronger.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
Wasn't a great game but I do think there were some positives:
Dawson and Tosin looked much better.
Morrison had a decent game
Townsend did little wrong
Sako looked strong and could be a far better foil to Gayle than Rodriguez. Was a bit selfish though at times.
I'll probably get slated for this but even Bartley looked slightly less rubbish.

Negatives:
Rodriguez poor again and showed no composure when missing his only chances.
Livermore still avoiding the ball wherever possible, scared to take responsibility
Phillips outswinging corners whilst they had no keeper.

Biggest disappointment for me though, yet again, and it's becoming impossible to defend the management, were the substitutions. Combined age of over a 100 ffs. gave us no energy whatsoever and took away our only decent outlets in Barnes and Sako. Ok, I appreciate that Barnes didn't have the best game and Sako was tiring but, if you take them off you have to inject some pace at least.
Personally, I think Moore was scared of losing the game so played it safe, then they go down to 10 men and we have no-one on the pitch who can get at them. Missed opportunity.
He needs to stop talking about lessons to be learned and things to work on and start putting it into practice because, at the minute, he just keeps doing the same thing over and over again.
Just to be clear though, this is not a call for his head, I want him here for the long term and am generally pleased with the way we play and our position in the table, I just want us to address some glaring issues so that we can become even stronger.

I am very much in your camp on this.

The only area for slight disagreement is Barnes, I wasn't remotely surprised to see him go off.

The theory for keeping him on as a goal threat is OK but it just wasn't his day.

Hopefully it'll give him a little perk up as along with a few others he's been off it for the last couple of games.

Onward and COYB  8) .

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2018, 10:40:57 AM »
Something needs to said about the fans though. Almost immediate negativity at the Derby game, yes I know we let the goal in but the amount of booing from our fans was surprising and sad. Almost everyone booed the meads substitution, now regardless what you think of the decision to you think home fans booing a player coming on is going to make them play any better.

Constant moaning in the stands where I sit and just general negativity. What happened to the atmoaphere. What happened to getting behind the team. Songs Peter out after two lines worth. It's a shocking performance by a lot of fans who are there to support the team.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »
Something needs to said about the fans though. Almost immediate negativity at the Derby game, yes I know we let the goal in but the amount of booing from our fans was surprising and sad. Almost everyone booed the meads substitution, now regardless what you think of the decision to you think home fans booing a player coming on is going to make them play any better.

Constant moaning in the stands where I sit and just general negativity. What happened to the atmosphere. What happened to getting behind the team. Songs Peter out after two lines worth. It's a shocking performance by a lot of fans who are there to support the team.
It's a great point mate. The atmosphere was brilliant early on in the season but it was very flat right from the start on Saturday. Didn't hear much by way of booing but there was definitely an undertone of dissatisfaction. If I'm honest, I can get a bit like this myself when the nerves set in, the negatives tend to get accentuated and I just get a bit disgruntled and glass half full as it were..
I for one am going to do my damnedest not to go this way against Leeds and get right behind them, whatever formation or personnel we put out. COYB.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »

Constant moaning in the stands where I sit and just general negativity. What happened to the atmoaphere. What happened to getting behind the team. Songs Peter out after two lines worth. It's a shocking performance by a lot of fans who are there to support the team.
Mowbray basically said part of the plan he learned from Derby was pressure the backs not to make a mistake but so the crowd gets on their back and the pressure gets to them. He effectively used us against our own team.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »

I agree with your post but I am not sure that this was the case with the booing. I think that this has been covered on the Mears thread but the majority of the boos came from the Derby fans, along with a sound rendition of 'There's only one greedy bar steward' so there is clearly a lot of bad blood there. I will agree that there were noises of dissatisfaction from other areas of the ground, and it may be that a few were aimed at Mears directly. My take on the dissent from the Albion fans was that they were unhappy with Darrens substitution full stop. Probably didnt appreciate that Gibbs was injured but were more remonstrating with the fact that it could have been an opportunity to move a player into that position and bring someone else on. I think you are wrong in saying that 'almost everyone booed the Mears substitution' because that I certainly did not hear that.
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2018, 03:13:52 PM »
........I am not sure that this was the case with the booing. I think that this has been covered on the Mears thread but the majority of the boos came from the Derby fans, along with a sound rendition of 'There's only one greedy bar steward' so there is clearly a lot of bad blood there. I will agree that there were noises of dissatisfaction from other areas of the ground, and it may be that a few were aimed at Mears directly. My take on the dissent from the Albion fans was that they were unhappy with Darrens substitution full stop........

Wasting your time mate.