Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 308772 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #2125 on: March 01, 2024, 10:38:27 AM »
Small squad update from todays mail

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-injury-update-matt-28732920

Phillips might be back for Bristol this month, if not after the international break.

Maja - back after international break hopefully CC says

BTA - Maybe Bristol too.

Squad will be looking strong and deep for this level after international break.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2126 on: March 01, 2024, 06:49:13 PM »

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-injury-update-matt-28732920

Phillips might be back for Bristol this month, if not after the international break.

BTA - Maybe Bristol too.

Be great to have them all back for the business end of the season.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2127 on: March 01, 2024, 10:23:20 PM »
Be great to have them all back for the business end of the season.

Crazy depth for this league outside the 3 PL clubs

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2128 on: March 01, 2024, 11:59:42 PM »

BTA - Maybe Bristol too.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2129 on: March 02, 2024, 07:41:52 AM »
 :D

Crazy depth for this league outside the 3 PL clubs
I'm a bit confused our recruitment team gets loads of stick  yet you reckon we have a strong squad the two statements don't quite gel.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2130 on: March 02, 2024, 07:48:10 AM »
System working the only criticism I can level at the Manger is sometimes he makes subs for the sake of subs and we get really disjointed.
O Albion we love you

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2131 on: March 02, 2024, 08:08:41 AM »
System working the only criticism I can level at the Manger is sometimes he makes subs for the sake of subs and we get really disjointed.

I don’t think he made subs for the sake of subs last night.

Okay wasn’t having his best game, looked tired and took a big whack in the first half.
Townsend went off injured.
Weimann for Wallace makes perfect sense, fresh legs up front and I thought Wallace was a bit ineffectual in the false 9.
Bartley to shore things up when they were in the ascendancy.

Maybe they did have an effect on the game but I thought they made sense.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2132 on: March 07, 2024, 07:38:41 AM »
I know CC’s hands are tied a bit with injuries at the moment but this Wallace/false 9 system we are playing at the moment isn’t working at all. Weimann has to start for me and give us some sort of outlet.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2133 on: March 07, 2024, 08:30:10 AM »
I know CC’s hands are tied a bit with injuries at the moment but this Wallace/false 9 system we are playing at the moment isn’t working at all. Weimann has to start for me and give us some sort of outlet.
4 games
8 points 8 goals
No defeats
I don’t think it’s working two bad ?

I think fans always want perfection…but when you consider Dike,Asante,Maja are all unavailable and Wiemann has also had a recent injury …what are the genuine other options ??

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2134 on: March 07, 2024, 09:46:10 AM »
:DI'm a bit confused our recruitment team gets loads of stick  yet you reckon we have a strong squad the two statements don't quite gel.

Sorry bud only just saw this, i used the words "for this level" as in comparison to the rest of the league bar the 3 relegated PL clubs. Compared to the other 20 clubs we have more than most. Doesn't mean our individual recruitment is good overall.

What i came here to post is roll on the international break!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2135 on: March 07, 2024, 09:56:31 AM »
Sorry bud only just saw this, i used the words "for this level" as in comparison to the rest of the league bar the 3 relegated PL clubs. Compared to the other 20 clubs we have more than most. Doesn't mean our individual recruitment is good overall.

What i came here to post is roll on the international break!
No worries as for the international break ASAP.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2136 on: March 07, 2024, 10:36:09 AM »
I don't think our strong.  It's old; several of our most talented players (e.g. Swift, Yokuslu, Phillips) can hardly play 60 minutes of the very brutal energy required in the Championship.  Some are perennial injury worries

If the squad was so good, why are there so many complaints about nearly all of them?

The squad is not strong it's mid-table and Corberan has maximised what can be got from it. 
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2137 on: March 07, 2024, 11:05:44 AM »
I don't think our strong.  It's old; several of our most talented players (e.g. Swift, Yokuslu, Phillips) can hardly play 60 minutes of the very brutal energy required in the Championship.  Some are perennial injury worries

If the squad was so good, why are there so many complaints about nearly all of them?

The squad is not strong it's mid-table and Corberan has maximised what can be got from it.

The squad is play off level and CC has us where he should.

As for the complaints i don't think you will find any side with fans not complaining.

As for the old boys then yes i'd like to see us walk away from that lack of transfer strategy policy

« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 11:16:02 AM by gazberg »

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2138 on: March 07, 2024, 11:51:43 AM »

We get worse when Weimann comes on. Because his legs are gone and he can’t run. Exactly why I moaned about signing yet another 30+ past it player. Fair play he’s scored a couple of crucial goals which is more than Albrighton did last year.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2139 on: March 07, 2024, 11:58:46 AM »
We get worse when Weimann comes on. Because his legs are gone and he can’t run. Exactly why I moaned about signing yet another 30+ past it player. Fair play he’s scored a couple of crucial goals which is more than Albrighton did last year.

Yeah he's done better than I thought but Bristol fans were right, he's past it

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2140 on: March 07, 2024, 12:24:52 PM »
I agree Gaz, i have always liked Weimann, he has been a decent championship career forward, he was never prolific but he was clever and his movement was good.

However other than his couple of goals i have been disappointed, he may need a run of games but you need to show something in the minutes you do get and i havent seen anything to suggest he could do that number 9 job, he has never been a mains striker, he played across the forward positons.

The goals he has scored probably means job done from that side, he will probably get another goal or two before the end of the seaso, but I always felt january we made a mistake not signing an out and out striker with the way we play, we had BTA but Maja was injured for the season near enough and it was always going to be a risk relying on Dike.

We obviously didnt have loads of money but we did have some hence our signings, i never understood why we signed Marshall who plays on the left and Weimann who plays across all three when we had BTA, Wallace, Fellows, Reach, Johnstone and Diangana coming back from the AFCON.

We were well stacked in those positions anyway so to sign another two seemed odd, it has meant we are now playing a winger as this false 9 / Striker with limited other options whilst BTA is out, why we didnt sign one of Marshall or Weimann and use the other funds on a proper striker i dont know.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2141 on: March 07, 2024, 12:54:37 PM »
I guess that we were waiting for the deal to go through Albion 79.  Sadly it came about 6 weeks too late.

Couple of signings to get us through to the end of the season is all i can think of.

Hopefully from this summer window, in terms of transfer planning, things will change regardless of what divsion we are in.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2142 on: March 07, 2024, 01:09:12 PM »
Are we starting to look slightly over-coached, as in sticking to methodically planned moves, especially at the back?  I can see the theory, that we pass it about till we get a chance for quick break with our nippy attackers able to do their thing, but it looked last night like we were too predictable overall and QPR really got control over us as a result.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2143 on: March 07, 2024, 02:58:32 PM »
Are we starting to look slightly over-coached, as in sticking to methodically planned moves, especially at the back?  I can see the theory, that we pass it about till we get a chance for quick break with our nippy attackers able to do their thing, but it looked last night like we were too predictable overall and QPR really got control over us as a result.

Maybe.... but I just felt that, on the night, they displayed a hunger from first minute to last, that surprised us. They never let up for a moment. And while some are saying how poor we were, not without justification, I thought QPR were excellent.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 04:29:47 PM by KN22 »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2144 on: March 07, 2024, 03:00:47 PM »
On the team selection for last night, my only criticism would be Reach at LB instead of Pipa. Pipa looks to me much more tenacious, and he isn't bad on the ball.
Clearly with BTA and the other recognised No.9's out, there is a problem in filling that position. I think Wallace is the best we have, as he has bags of energy, important with the high pressing, and is a decent finisher. Weimann doesn't have the same energy and Marshall has looked slightly out of his depth.
Of course you can start juggling the formation around, but then you lose the likes of Yokuslu in midfield, and players are less sure about their roles. One of the things CC is most strong on is making players understand their roles. 

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2145 on: March 07, 2024, 05:04:59 PM »
I'd play Pippa Middleton at LB instead of Reach.

An absolutely atrocious player, wherever he plays.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2146 on: March 07, 2024, 06:47:48 PM »
I'd play Pippa Middleton at LB instead of Reach.

An absolutely atrocious player, wherever he plays.
So would I

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2147 on: March 07, 2024, 08:21:44 PM »
It was their continual aggressive non-stop high press that got to us from minute one till the final whistle. We just couldn’t cope when in possession with our player being instantly challenged by generally two at least of our opponents.
Our setup and playing plan was totally forced out of the window with us becoming headless chickens and what does concern me is that all Championship coaches and managers will have watched that game and seen how to play us.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2148 on: March 07, 2024, 09:14:01 PM »
It was their continual aggressive non-stop high press that got to us from minute one till the final whistle. We just couldn’t cope when in possession with our player being instantly challenged by generally two at least of our opponents.
Our setup and playing plan was totally forced out of the window with us becoming headless chickens and what does concern me is that all Championship coaches and managers will have watched that game and seen how to play us.

Martí Cifuentes has been in post from 31st October which was two weeks after QPR came to the Hawthorns and frankly stank the place out. They were the complete opposite to the side we played last night. It has taken time for him to get QPR into this position and their results have only really started to improve since the turn of the year.

Based on that our opponents either have the high press in the locker or they don't most coaches haven't got teams capable of doing it certainly at short notice. It maybe the best way of playing us but it isn't a thing that can be done overnight fortunately.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2149 on: March 07, 2024, 10:12:11 PM »
Martí Cifuentes has been in post from 31st October which was two weeks after QPR came to the Hawthorns and frankly stank the place out. They were the complete opposite to the side we played last night. It has taken time for him to get QPR into this position and their results have only really started to improve since the turn of the year.

Based on that our opponents either have the high press in the locker or they don't most coaches haven't got teams capable of doing it certainly at short notice. It maybe the best way of playing us but it isn't a thing that can be done overnight fortunately.

Without wishing to stray too far off topic Cifuentes serves to highlight just how bloody inept Gareth Ainsworth must be. I was very impressed with QPR over the course of the game all be it we were able to take advantage of a couple of moments of sloppiness on their behalf.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.