Author Topic: Points targets  (Read 14944 times)

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Points targets
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 08:58:16 PM »

Like it or not? Nothing to do with any dislike of Stoke. They've got all the hallmarks of how not to get out of the division in an upward trajectory. I think they're going to really, really struggle. Opinions.

In addition to that, I think Gary Rowett is a bit of a fraud. Hasn’t REALLY done much despite being highly rated for quite a while.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 09:48:23 PM »
The Championship on a points per game basis across the season

2 points a game (92 total) automatic promotion
1.75. points a game (80 total) play offs
1.5. points a game (69 total) generally 7th at best occasionally squeaks 6th
1.25 points a game (57 total) mid table oblivion
1 point a game  (46 total) survival.

The above is fairly consistent across the last decade.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 11:30:31 PM »
Can we win the league but forfeit promotion? Don’t really want to go up! :D

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 01:45:53 AM »

Like it or not? Nothing to do with any dislike of Stoke. They've got all the hallmarks of how not to get out of the division in an upward trajectory. I think they're going to really, really struggle. Opinions.

IMO the top 6 this year will be Albion, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Brentford, Villa and one from Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Utd and Preston.

Leeds aren't really any different from last season IMV. This division is one hell of a slog and I fancy any promotion push by them to be faltering by Christmas. Stoke on the other hand will likely gradually improve and will be ominously closing in on the leading pack around that stage. I can't see them missing out on top 6.

Swansea looked poor against Blues. I don't like the look of their squad and have my doubts about Potters ability to push them on. I've got a feeling he'll be gone by January. I could see similar transpiring with Lampard at Derby too.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 01:49:17 AM »
There's a graph someone made that indicated the average over a few years as:

88 = Automatic Promotion (low/high = 79/93)
76 = Play-Offs (low/high = 68/82)
47 = Survival (low/high = 41/55)

Someone may post it at some point with a reflection using our previous seasons soon. ;)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 05:46:27 AM »
Can we win the league but forfeit promotion? Don’t really want to go up! :D
My feelings too Hampshire!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
In general it is way too soon for any real clues as to how the season will turn out for any team. One win or defeat has way too big of an impact on any projection for instance on Friday is we beat Boro we are running at 2 points a game however if we lose we are at less than 1.5 which is a swing from promotion contender to about 12th.

With two fixtures this week for most Championship teams there are some interesting pointers. The gathering team in crisis narrative around Stoke and Derby could be quickly dispelled or reinforced, both have 2 home games against teams they would be expected to beat. Stoke play Hull and Wigan and are strong favourites to beat both. Derby play Ipswich but have a slightly trickier encounter with Preston on Saturday.

In the context of a 3 game old season this could be a huge swing. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
It is very much all about opinions as was rightly stated. My opinion for what it's worth is that Stoke will be a top 6 team come season's end. We shall see.....

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
My feelings too Hampshire!

I third this statement.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
I think people are getting carried away after beating 2 awful teams.
Let's see how we fare after Boro and Stoke. I think a few will be adjusting there expectations

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 12:28:24 AM »
I think people are getting carried away after beating 2 awful teams.
Let's see how we fare after Boro and Stoke. I think a few will be adjusting there expectations

Yes adjusting them upwards... Yourself included  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »
Jones says they want 100 points playing attacking football.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/951209052?-11200:789

Albion assistant Graeme Jones says the Baggies are changing their footballing culture this season in order to chase down 100 points.

Culturally, I know what’s gone on here for the last four or five years,” said Jones. “In order to move forward we can’t play that way any more.

“We’re West Bromwich Albion, one of the best, if not the biggest side in the Championship.

“We need a different style and different shape in order to win football matches, because you only get promoted winning football matches.

Draws are sometimes good results in the Premier League, in the Championship they’re not.

“That’s the reason for it, and hopefully we’ll get more results like Saturday (when Albion beat QPR 7-1) in the future.”

Tony Pulis’s safety-first approach during his almost three-year reign at the club divided opinion among supporters.

But Pulis’s Middlesbrough side are unbeaten in the Championship so far this season, and welcome the Baggies to the Riverside on Friday night for an intriguing fixture.

“Tony was a long serving manager here,” said Jones. “You have to respect his method of work and style of play because it was really successful here. I’ve got total respect for his teams because there’s as tough as anyone’s to play against.

“What’s had to change here is that we need 100 points. We have to play more attacking football and score more goals

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »
Jones says they want 100 points playing attacking football.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/951209052?-11200:789

Albion assistant Graeme Jones says the Baggies are changing their footballing culture this season in order to chase down 100 points.

Culturally, I know what’s gone on here for the last four or five years,” said Jones. “In order to move forward we can’t play that way any more.

“We’re West Bromwich Albion, one of the best, if not the biggest side in the Championship.

“We need a different style and different shape in order to win football matches, because you only get promoted winning football matches.

Draws are sometimes good results in the Premier League, in the Championship they’re not.

“That’s the reason for it, and hopefully we’ll get more results like Saturday (when Albion beat QPR 7-1) in the future.”

Tony Pulis’s safety-first approach during his almost three-year reign at the club divided opinion among supporters.

But Pulis’s Middlesbrough side are unbeaten in the Championship so far this season, and welcome the Baggies to the Riverside on Friday night for an intriguing fixture.

“Tony was a long serving manager here,” said Jones. “You have to respect his method of work and style of play because it was really successful here. I’ve got total respect for his teams because there’s as tough as anyone’s to play against.

“What’s had to change here is that we need 100 points. We have to play more attacking football and score more goals

Wow this fella is a breath of fresh air , good to hear

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »
I like his style!!  ;D

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 10:26:50 PM »

I certainly hope so.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 11:37:47 PM »

Hmmmm false dawn, 2 poor teams we beat, or maybe it's blatantly obvious this current team is disjointed and nowhere near good enough to get us promoted.
I did hope you were right and the fact I was involved in football for 30 years I was being a pessimist but we were shocking again this evening no?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 11:40:01 PM »
100 points.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 04:18:00 AM »
Let's hit 40 points first lads or is it 50 the magic survival number in championship 👀

As I stated earlier we need to hit 50.
The style has improved for the most part but it still needs sorting in terms of personnel
O Albion we love you

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2018, 06:39:08 PM »
We had a survival-o-meter going in previous years - do we need to make a promotion-o-meter now?
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »
Just aim for 3 points per game.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »
Win half our games = 69 points, plus a few draws, play offs at least.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
Just checking in,if we beat Preston, well be on 20 points.
Where do we need to be points wise if Harvey has to go back home in January,to keep our momentum up for the run in?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »
Where do we need to be points wise if Harvey has to go back home in January,to keep our momentum up for the run in?

If Barnes goes back we'll sign Dack. Not an issue for me.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 06:42:04 PM »

I am looking at 50 points by the new year. Puts us well on our way and can’t see why it can’t be done

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
Just looked 16 games until end of December,that's 48 points to sum for.