Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 413283 times)

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
Having seen some of the wickets, I think I was on about Bell's dismissal. Shades of Anderson vs Michael Clarke, no?

Yes, absolutely zero Bell could have done about that really. How long is it since Stuart Broad last managed double figures with the bat in a test match?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #501 on: May 22, 2015, 11:57:09 AM »
Cook needs an innings second time round.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #502 on: May 22, 2015, 11:59:01 AM »
Cook needs an innings second time round.

Runs in the Caribbean have probably saved him from immediate pressure. Could do with a score to keep the press of his back heading into the Ashes.

Wonder what the odds on Root being named as captain before the end of the Summer are?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
Yes, absolutely zero Bell could have done about that really. How long is it since Stuart Broad last managed double figures with the bat in a test match?

I don't know the answer but was thinking the same myself.

When he first came onto the scene I was thinking 'Maybe we could turn him into a bowling all-rounder'. On recent form I think Jimmy should be asking to swap places!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #504 on: May 22, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »
New Zealand approaching 100-0 at a touch over 3.5 an over. Worryingly nearly all of our wickets fell when the ball was relatively new, our middle-order made light work of batting on this pitch against the old ball, we've wasted 25 overs now. Need a wicket soon with McCullum, Williamson, Taylor and Anderson still to come.

Bowl like this against Warner, Clarke, Smith and we are in big trouble.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #505 on: May 22, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »
Big session coming up if they move on to 260 odd without another wicket then tomorrow they can really free there arms ideally we want a couple more tonight .

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #506 on: May 25, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »
Holy moly how did we win that?!

He/him

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #507 on: May 25, 2015, 06:26:59 PM »
A great Test Match, after been 30-4 that was some recovery. Very rare for a team to make over 500 and lose a test. Stokes, Root, Broad, Cook stand out players throughout the test.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
Holy moly how did we win that?!

Im gobsmacked too. Would love to see the highlights of today's play.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #509 on: May 25, 2015, 08:23:23 PM »
That has been a fantastic advert for test cricket

Cook, Stokes and Joe Root were brilliant yesterday and managed to put England in a commanding position. The rate of the run scoring - in particular from Stokes meant we had enough time today to get the required ten wickets.

Good to see England winning though - especially after the position we found ourselves in on the first morning. Also, a plus point was Alastair Cook's captaincy, his use of the bowlers and field placements - all of which seem to come off for him today. All in all, a fantastic way to start the summer.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #510 on: May 25, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
And what a catch by Moeen Ali to wrap things up, outstanding.

An all round good performance by England, New Zealand can consider themselves unlucky to lose this one as they contributed to a great game of cricket.

A mention for Alister Cook, he gave good batting and captains performances throughout.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #511 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »
So it's Trevor Bayliss as the new coach. Sounds a pretty sensible appointment in fairness. Plus he's had Farbrace as his assistant when in charge of Sri Lanka. Farbrace seemed to fit in well while in charge for the last test.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #512 on: May 26, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »
cricket is most definitely my second sport fast becoming my first. there is no better team spectical in any sport better than England v Australia
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #513 on: May 26, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
Just my luck the Ashes Series is being played in England and I'll be in Oz. My son-in-law has a season ticket at the MCG that he never uses, but he renews it every year as they are like gold dust and swap hands for small fortunes, his father and brother also have season tickets that are hardly ever used.

So, when I next visit my new grandson, I'll make sure it's when the Ashes Series is in Oz and that will be around Christmas time as that's their summer.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #514 on: June 02, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
oh dear england 88-4

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #515 on: June 02, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
Will do well to rescue this game now at 102-5 at lunch, 30 overs until the new ball and then 20 until the end of the test You would have to say we need a couple of three players to play well very well to have a chance of batting through.

On the whole it sounds as though one each would be a fair result shame theres not a decider been an exciting test we need to go away and think of whats best before the ashes and then take that into the series. Commentators sound the biggest bunch of idiots ever whether they have been legends of the game or not one minute everythings rosy the next we are a shambles no real sort of middle ground in there opinions.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #516 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »
Which commentators are you referring too?

Cricket is blessed that the majority of commentators and analyists are very fair, balanced and are refreshingly honest. The team on Sky are by far the best around, across any sport.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #517 on: June 02, 2015, 02:27:05 PM »
Came out very nicely after lunch positive and cook looks in very good nick, Watch me curse it now  :D.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #518 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »
166-7 with half an hour before tea, looks like just a matter of when now, Bring on the rain !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #519 on: June 02, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
They will probably turn us over in Football next, how do they manage to find decent cricketers and rugby players from 3 million people and we struggle with 60 million available, take away the pensioners and children of course.

time to drop Bell & Balance

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #520 on: June 02, 2015, 03:34:32 PM »
They will probably turn us over in Football next, how do they manage to find decent cricketers and rugby players from 3 million people and we struggle with 60 million available, take away the pensioners and children of course.

I don't know if you've ever been over there but sport is a religion to Kiwis. Hell, even the netball gets good attendance and shown on TV, and people actively take an interest in it.

I worked at a school over there and in Auckland they had a whole park with about 8 astro-wickets for schools to play their cricket matches on, and the school rugby matches are broadcast on TV too!

He/him

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #521 on: June 02, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »
I don't know if you've ever been over there but sport is a religion to Kiwis. Hell, even the netball gets good attendance and shown on TV, and people actively take an interest in it.

I worked at a school over there and in Auckland they had a whole park with about 8 astro-wickets for schools to play their cricket matches on, and the school rugby matches are broadcast on TV too!

whats our religion, politics no doubt :)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #522 on: June 02, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »

I know very little about Rugby and maybe a bit more in cricket people will stick by the there outspoken and disruptive to the system team whatever but its safe to say our best players dont represent us in sports if you look past the politics thats a crying shame for me and happens alot in this country.
Good examples for just this summer :
Rugby
cricket
England under 21s

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #523 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »

Neither should be dropped - Ballance has looked composed so far in test cricket and is currently going through his first tricky series. He's currently averaging over 52 in test cricket and has proved so far to be a reliable number three. That is incredibly good going and if he finishes his career with an average of 53 then he'll be one of our finest batsman. Yes, he hasn't had a great series against New Zealand but we shouldn't be dropping him just yet - he like many others before him he should be allowed the opportunity to respond and iron out the weaknesses in his game.

As for Ian Bell - he's another going through a sticky period but the old adage class is permanent springs to my mind. Furthermore, in what is already an inexperienced side/middle order - Bell should remain on that front also.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #524 on: June 02, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
Whether it's the case that international bowlers now know a weakness in Balance's game or that he's just developed this weakness, he's not looking in a good place with the Aussies coming to town.
The Sky boys have pointed out that he's getting stuck well within his crease and unless he can get it sorted quickly (easier said than done), Johnson and Stark and Ryan Harris for that matter will be zooming in on that same thing.
He has done well overall so far but it's worrying when he keeps getting out in the same way.