Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 416912 times)

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
we've been due a bad innings for a while. hopefully get this out the way, start a fresh, and get back to winning ways.
West Bromwich Born, Greets Green Bred

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
England's batting has been nothing short of pathetic for a long time now, probably going back to the home series against India in 2011 (an exception in the away tour of India last year too). Every game virtually features a big collapse, rarely do we pile on big scores, every game virtually is run rates below 3. Scores of 400+ have been very scarce since 2011, compare that to 2010-11 when we were piling on 500+ for fun.

Because often there's one player (Bell last series) who performs, and the bowlers usually do their job very well, we've got away with it a lot of the time but that isn't going to keep happening.

Ironically I think most the problem comes with the players being so concerned about getting out they play so negatively they end up cracking under the pressure. As Liam says, we bring Swann on and the Aussies take that as a chance to go offensive, they bought Lyon on and Carberry and Trott/Pieterson went on block mode straight away allowing pressure to build and obviously a mistake to happen.

We've lost this game baring the weather, and the batsmen need to take a serious look at themselves now. Cook, Trott, Pieterson, Prior, Root. Six games now and not one of them has rose to the occasion for more than one match. Frankly its getting to the point I think Trott should be considered for dropping from the test side, usually he was painfully slow but dug in and stuck around. Now he just gets out so easily every time.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:10:58 PM by Dan »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
I think trying to remember when England had a good innings is a more realistic option.

How long has it been since we last notched 400 runs in a test match?

Our batting in the summer wasn't brilliant but we relied on Australia being pooh.

I still think we'll win the series though - just lose this test now we've gifted them the advantage.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
I think Trott should be considered for dropping from the test side, usually he was painfully slow but dug in and stuck around. Now he just gets out so easily every time.

Lets be honest that won't be happening any time soon. Whilst I admire Jonathan Trott he has a serious problem with his technique - similar to the way we shall target Michael Clarke with the short ball. Trott's reliance to walk towards the ball and across his stumps is making him extremely vulnerable down the leg side and on the short ball, especially to someone of Mitchell Johnson's pace and bounce on these flat Aussie decks.

He was doomed from the first ball when Johnson ruffled him up.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: November 22, 2013, 06:45:37 PM »
Everybody was saying after the 1st two tests in England it was going to be a whitewash ( i was thinking similar). The Aussies did well to come back. With home advantage they will get by us 3-0.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #280 on: November 22, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
I'm clutching at straws, but some of these batters are due some big scores. Two days is a long time to bat out, may even be more than that. If we were to lose this Test I am confident of us coming right back with a very good performance we have done it many times before in the past.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #281 on: November 23, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
Everybody was saying after the 1st two tests in England it was going to be a whitewash ( i was thinking similar). The Aussies did well to come back. With home advantage they will get by us 3-0.

In my view the Aussies arent good enough to win a 5 match test series against us.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #282 on: November 23, 2013, 03:18:03 AM »
In my view the Aussies arent good enough to win a 5 match test series against us.

No, but when you bat as poorly as we're doing then they have every chance.

It's now 17 innings since we last notched a score of 400 or more.

Australia are piling on the runs for fun at the moment and it certainly looks like we'll have to bat for two days and a bit. I just hope that our efforts this time round aren't as pathetic as our collapse in the first innings which I would be disgraced to see in school cricket.

Where's the rain?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #283 on: November 23, 2013, 03:24:24 AM »
Also, a decision needs to be made on Chris Tremlett. He's in the side as third seamer and has looked bang average and obviously not reaching the standards he set himself in 2010. He wasn't lightening quick back then but he wasn't this slow - if he's in there to do an intimidating job and offer Cook some control then he needs to start bowling much quicker - if anything, the containment job should have been given to Graham Onions but I guess the decision looks easier with hindsight. Be interesting to see how fit Tim Bresnan is when he returns from his injury.

If we're looking for pace and bounce, despite how erratic he maybe, I think we'll need to give Steven Finn the opportunity - he might be expensive but he'll take wickets and offer us a different dimension to what we currently have. I don't think any of our bowlers so far have bowled quicker than 85mph - quite a bit slower than Johnson, Harris and Siddle. Boyd Rankin is a wildcard and not one we should be looking to use on this tour unless we have too.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #284 on: November 23, 2013, 07:24:03 AM »
12-2 already for England! Trott has had another shocker against Johnson. His role in the team has to start being questioned now.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #285 on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »
24-2 at close. Oh well might as well right the first one off. :(
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #286 on: November 23, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
Also, a decision needs to be made on Chris Tremlett. He's in the side as third seamer and has looked bang average and obviously not reaching the standards he set himself in 2010. He wasn't lightening quick back then but he wasn't this slow - if he's in there to do an intimidating job and offer Cook some control then he needs to start bowling much quicker - if anything, the containment job should have been given to Graham Onions but I guess the decision looks easier with hindsight. Be interesting to see how fit Tim Bresnan is when he returns from his injury.

If we're looking for pace and bounce, despite how erratic he maybe, I think we'll need to give Steven Finn the opportunity - he might be expensive but he'll take wickets and offer us a different dimension to what we currently have. I don't think any of our bowlers so far have bowled quicker than 85mph - quite a bit slower than Johnson, Harris and Siddle. Boyd Rankin is a wildcard and not one we should be looking to use on this tour unless we have too.
Yes the bowling which everyone thought was looking so strong is suddenly a bit of a worry - less reverse swing because of the Kookaburra ball doesn't suit us. Anderson pace-wise is regulation these days. We certainly need more pace which means one of Finn or Rankin has to play. Finn tends to be a bit expensive and seems a bit flaky mentally, I think Rankin does come into it and he's tended to be more controlled than Finn in the warm ups.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #287 on: November 23, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
....and Swann isn't looking any better than Lyon

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: November 23, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »

I think at this current time are England good enough to beat the Aussies! Trott needs to be taken out of the firing line. The Aussies quite clearly know his weakness as they pointed out before the series started. As i said before home advantage will be the key.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
I think they are a five match series is a long time.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
Its still very early days, on a lot of occasion we have played poorly in a first Test and come back really well. Lords 2005, nearly lost against Cardiff 2009. A poor first couple of days in Brisbane 2010
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #291 on: November 23, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
England have to be careful how they bat the next two days.

It is vitally important that we score runs - not to win the test, but to try to relieve pressure and put the pressure on Michael Clarke. That will mean needing to dictate the pace of the game when Nathan Lyon arrives and not revert into our shells and into an ultra blocking session where we just create further unnecessary pressure upon ourselves.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #292 on: November 24, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
Pathetic.

Think that's the word that best sums it up.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »
Trott is out of the tour with a 'stress related illness' which he has been suffering with now for some time. Makes Warner's comments about him being 'poor and weak' even worse now. One thing he is, is a thug!!!

Who do we think should replace him?
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Trott is out of the tour with a 'stress related illness' which he has been suffering with now for some time. Makes Warner's comments about him being 'poor and weak' even worse now. One thing he is, is a thug!!!

Who do we think should replace him?

Not just a 'thug' but a thick thug!!

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
Very sad to hear that Jonathan Trott is leaving the tour. However this probably is the best thing for him and the England team. Hopefully he will recover and will come back into the England set up soon. It will be interesting to see how England will go now. I think Nick Compton should maybe come into the side, they may push Joe Root up to three.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »
Yes I think Compton - I would leave Bell and Root where they are to hopefully give strength in the middle.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
The right decision to let him go home and get the appropriate rest he needs - especially with Perth not too far away, a pitch with plenty of pace and bounce - not at all been impressed with some of the actions of the Australian players throughout the first test.

As for his replacement, move Ian Bell up to three and insert either Ben Stokes or Gary Ballance into the middle order.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #298 on: November 26, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
The right decision to let him go home and get the appropriate rest he needs - especially with Perth not too far away, a pitch with plenty of pace and bounce - not at all been impressed with some of the actions of the Australian players throughout the first test.

As for his replacement, move Ian Bell up to three and insert either Ben Stokes or Gary Ballance into the middle order.

.... and at the same time tell the England players not to throw their dummies out of the pram and give interviews to the Australian media like any mature persons in their positions would.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #299 on: November 26, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »
.... and at the same time tell the England players not to throw their dummies out of the pram and give interviews to the Australian media like any mature persons in their positions would.

I guess they're informed that they must carry out their media duties to both the English and Australian media - certainly haven't seen anybody throwing their dummies out the pram, though.