Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 418428 times)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
Unless the decision has been taken by someone above the head of Strauss. The whole thing stinks of politics to me.
What a mess to go into a test next Thursday I have a funny feeling that rumour is correct only because I know Stewart and Vaughan would of picked him so I agree completely stinks the place out this decision.

Pelsall_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #476 on: May 12, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
a) he is 34
b) he was born in South Africa yes but considers himself English...and he is our highest scorer in all formats (he is not South African and if it is to be used against him now then it should have been used against him when he first started playing)
c) rumours are that he can be disruptive......rumours also tell us that many of the players in the squad were very close to him and didnt feel he was, there are also rumours that others in the squad bullied him...believe what you will
d) too become the highest scorer in all formats takes a lot of games and a lot of dedication also him giving up his IPL contract to concentrate on county cricket to put himself back in the England squad kind puts that story too bed....load of rubbish that is!
e) best batsman England has still

as for your quote of not a team player....I didnt see anyone calling him out when we won The Ashes in 2005??

you need mavericks and individuals in any squad, you need players that can and do deliver on the big stage when called upon.

Its a disgrace and the ECB and its selectors should be ashamed of themselves for treating English crickets greatest batsman of all time in such an insulting manner

I'm not sure where people are finding their stats from but, I also heard this mentioned on the radio today.

Pietersen is only the highest scorer in T20. He's nowhere near the highest scorer in Test or ODI Cricket.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: May 12, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
There's no doubt that Graves has made a pigs ear of it so far......and he doesn't officially start as ECB chairman until 2 days time. We've had the 'mediocre West Indies' comment and the public statement about KP playing county cricket and making runs to get back in the England setup. So far seems to be a chairman who likes to be in the news.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #478 on: May 14, 2015, 12:16:33 AM »
I'm not sure where people are finding their stats from but, I also heard this mentioned on the radio today.

Pietersen is only the highest scorer in T20. He's nowhere near the highest scorer in Test or ODI Cricket.

If you add his runs across the 3 formats he has the most...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #479 on: May 14, 2015, 11:56:58 AM »
There's no doubt that Graves has made a pigs ear of it so far......and he doesn't officially start as ECB chairman until 2 days time. We've had the 'mediocre West Indies' comment and the public statement about KP playing county cricket and making runs to get back in the England setup. So far seems to be a chairman who likes to be in the news.

I didn't realise his Chairmanship had not started - and there was me thinking that he ought to resign because his position is untenable?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #480 on: May 14, 2015, 02:15:20 PM »
I didn't realise his Chairmanship had not started - and there was me thinking that he ought to resign because his position is untenable?
Yep officially takes over today at the ECB AGM

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #481 on: May 14, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »

It might well be after this summers internationals
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #482 on: May 17, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »
I see Pietersen's response is to straight away go running to the papers to criticise everybody again..

He doesn't learn any lessons does he?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #483 on: May 21, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
Its time. Make sure we beat New Zealand. Dickie ring that bell
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:56:14 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
Its time. Make sure we beat New Zealand. Dickie ring that bell

Looks like its over before we start. 25-3  :o
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #485 on: May 21, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
Great start to the Strauss era.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »
I was being hopefull when i said lets beat New Zealand. 4 out now for 30

i suspect we wont win one single test this summer 0-7

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »
New Zealand have a very good attack for English conditions, Southee, Boult are good bowlers and Henry's looking pretty tidy as well.
As NZ have said themselves, they deserve more than just a 2 test series.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »
Root and Stokes showing that if you're actually aggressive, not passive, while batting, you can get somewhere against good attacks.

He/him

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #489 on: May 21, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »
191-5 Ben Stokes out in the nervous ninties

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #490 on: May 21, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »
New Zealand have a very good attack for English conditions, Southee, Boult are good bowlers and Henry's looking pretty tidy as well.

Two test matches isn't a series. I'm not a fan of series with an even number of games, should be restricted to three or five.

A horrible first hour or so for England has turned itself around a bit with Buttler in now and Ali and Broad who scores quickly to come. We need near 350 at least, NZ are dangerous if they get in.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »
Again England find themselves relying on Joe Root to drag themselves out of a precarious position. Root is blossoming into a great batsman.

Also proves how important it is to have quick scorers and aggressive batsman like Buttler and Stokes in the side. England from a state of crisis have been dragged out the mire and into a pretty strong position with some progressive batting - far more exciting than the usual dross we muster.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #492 on: May 21, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
It's about taking the initiative. The guys on CricInfo were saying most of our top order got themselves out, they weren't beauties like what got Stokes (I think?). If you block, and block, and block, and you're nervous, you'll get out eventually and it won't be for very many.

The batsmen need to apply themselves better and make McCullum do something thinking with his field and choice of bowlers.

He/him

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #493 on: May 21, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »
England have been very conservative with the bat ever since I've been watching them - even their ODI sides are based on the conservative approach with mavericks like Stokes and Hales discarded. Strauss did have plenty of success using these methods though - they were painfully slow upfront but had the likes of Pietersen and Bell in the lower order to capitalise later in the day.

Stokes didn't get a particularly brilliant ball today - he just misjudged it - even Joe Root played at one he should have left.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:11 PM »

I think the New Zealand attack has been vastly oversold to be honest. Effectuve in limited overs cricket, but Southee really isn't anything special as his record against decent nations shows, Henry I don't really know much about in fairness, and their spinner is just the next in a long line of poor temporary replacements for Vettori. Only Boult I would say is really anything to shout about. And even his speed was well down today.

England have been very conservative with the bat ever since I've been watching them - even their ODI sides are based on the conservative approach with mavericks like Stokes and Hales discarded. Strauss did have plenty of success using these methods though - they were painfully slow upfront but had the likes of Pietersen and Bell in the lower order to capitalise later in the day.

Stokes didn't get a particularly brilliant ball today - he just misjudged it - even Joe Root played at one he should have left.

One of the great myths that has emerged from the world cup is that of the dropping of Ben Stokes being wrong. Stokes was genuinely awful for about 10 games in a row, possibly more. As in he was constantly getting out for under 10, and in very few of those games did he end up bowling his allotted overs, with his economy often being well in excess of 6. A all rounder who is no use with the bat or ball is not going to be selected. You can say he has talent and should have been taken but when someone repeatedly blows their opportunities for a year, well, the only thing to say is that Ben Stokes made himself unselectable. His was less a loss of form and what frankly looked (and may still turn out to be) genuine failings.

Also worth noting Hales' average of 21 with a strike rate of 77 from his 10 ODI's hardly screamed selection either.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:50:59 PM by Dan »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #495 on: May 21, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »
Wasn't suggesting Southee is a Mitchell Johnson or Dale Steyn or an Anderson but in the current test rankings.....

2nd Anderson
6th Boult
8th Broad
9th Southee

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #496 on: May 21, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »
Wasn't suggesting Southee is a Mitchell Johnson or Dale Steyn or an Anderson but in the current test rankings.....

2nd Anderson
6th Boult
8th Broad
9th Southee

The rankings aren't really much of an indication of talent though. You can creep up those lists pretty easily. Not too many months ago, the rankings indicated England had the best ODI bowling attack in the world.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:04:28 PM by Dan »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
The rankings rely quite a bit on current form and I believe are weighted depending on who the opposition has been so must carry some weight.

Anyway my point is that the NZ attack is decent - not in the Oz class but decent.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »

Having seen some of the wickets, I think I was on about Bell's dismissal. Shades of Anderson vs Michael Clarke, no?

He/him

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #499 on: May 22, 2015, 11:51:56 AM »
All out for 389 highest test score by a team that lost there first four wickets for 30 runs, good effort by the middle order.