Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670648 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #450 on: August 09, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »
I'm going to wait until the window closes to elaborate but I'm having serious concerns over Bilic / Albion and certain situations.

I understand we are still at the stage where Slaven is king, we trust blindly and all that but I'm far from convinced at present.

More once the window closes.

The windows closed and we are waiting. I'm genuinely interested in what your concerns are.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #451 on: August 09, 2019, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to the presser to hear what Bilic says about our business.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #452 on: August 09, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
I am feeling very positive.I have only ever bet on the Albion 3 times and won my bet each time.Although
I have not bet this time I feel we should be favourites for promotion.
Over the last 2 or 3 years I have been looking forward to our next match then hear the team selected an hour before the kick off and immediately lose my enthusiasm.
I thought Bilic was very up beat in his interview after the Forest match and seemed on the ball.
Unless Harper plays to his potential,Livermore shows ability he has not shown to me and the willing workhorse Kanu starts to finish off his chances I hope none of them appear in the team again.
I look forward to team news at 2pm tomorrow.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #453 on: August 09, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »
He won't blood them all at once that would be foolish. The team have to get to know each other and gel. The cup game i reckon we will see  a few changes.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #454 on: August 09, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
This man has, without doubt, been the pivotal catalyst to the direction the club is travelling in. It is my considered opinion, with him, we will be in safe hands.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #455 on: August 14, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »
Any thoughts on why Slaven persisted with Burke for 90 mins last night,40 of them as our main forward,was it to give his one final chance,personally I would have pulled him off at halftime ,one of the most disinterested performances since Fabian De Fratais,Slaven knew what to expect from Millwall it was deja vu of Saturdays game but our tactics remained the same,Steele did not make a save all night we could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »
Any thoughts on why Slaven persisted with Burke for 90 mins last night,40 of them as our main forward,was it to give his one final chance,personally I would have pulled him off at halftime ,one of the most disinterested performances since Fabian De Fratais,Slaven knew what to expect from Millwall it was deja vu of Saturdays game but our tactics remained the same,Steele did not make a save all night we could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

I think you have answered your own question there. Last chance saloon surely...…. and he failed.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »
I think we have to be patient.

We have signed a number of players who are still going to have to bed in to our style and gel with their new team-mates. I have no doubts about the excitement that the likes of Pereria, Diangana, Krovanovic Edwards and Austin can bring.

The signs are that we are very good at keeping possession - which after the last few seasons is a welcome relief. We now have to focus on penetrating the opposition and creating chances to win football matches. I am hopeful that this will come when the aforementioned players are up to speed.

Should we be approaching Christmas and we still have issues, then I will reassess where we are.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #458 on: August 14, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »
A few posts on different threads have mentioned Zonal marking.

I'll never understand Zonal marking for set pieces. Its rare to ever see it done well consistently. The attacking team regularly seem to get the jump on defenders and I think it diminishes responsibility on individuals. Managers do seem to have a clear preference though and persist with it if they favour it.

By all means in open play, Zonal marking is much more likely due to a formation. From an attacking set piece, zonal positioning could be the way forward too, but for defending set pieces, man to man has to be the way to go.

I'm hoping Bilic isn't stubborn with it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:57:45 PM by johnny Cash »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #459 on: August 14, 2019, 03:11:08 PM »
A few posts on different threads have mentioned Zonal marking.

I'll never understand Zonal marking for set pieces. Its rare to ever see it done well consistently. The attacking team regularly seem to get the jump on defenders and I think it diminishes responsibility on individuals. Managers do seem to have a clear preference though and persist with it if they favour it.

By all means in open play, Zonal marking is much more likely due to a formation. From an attacking set piece, zonal positioning could be the way forward too, but for defending set pieces, man to man has to be the way to go.

I'm hoping Bilic isn't stubborn with it.
Well said sir, can't think of a single team that excels at zonal marking. Confusing for defenders and diminishes responsibility.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #460 on: August 14, 2019, 04:51:15 PM »
Despite last night's defeat, I'm still fairly upbeat. Firstly, its so much better watching us taking control in midfield, which players like Krovinovic and Sawyers are integral to.  I know ball possession isn't the whole story, but you will find that on average, teams with most possession create the most chances.

I think Billic is now working out his strongest team and formation. He has several very decent wide players to choose from. Its a question of who is most effective setting up goal chances.

In the middle Austin should be very important. He seems a self-confident bloke,  but he obviously will need help. Just thinking back to the team with Kevin Phillips, he was a prolific scorer, but there were lots of others making runs forward from midfield who got on the scoresheet.  I'm hoping we see something like that.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #461 on: August 14, 2019, 04:53:48 PM »
Well said sir, can't think of a single team that excels at zonal marking. Confusing for defenders and diminishes responsibility.

Zonal marking works in a lot of other countries where they use their set pieces differently.

In the English game it practically never works because we place added importance on ours, and it becomes difficult to deploy successfully.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #462 on: August 14, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »
It is early days, and there are a lot of new players to bed in, so of course we have to give it time. It might be that in a couple of months time we have turned our domination of the ball, in to a number of goals.

I just hope Bilic proves his critics at West Ham wrong. They said he was a good man manager but lacking tactically. To change us from a low intensity passing side, into a high energy attacking team, it will require some element of tactical switches and training ground work where players adopt a managers methods and ideas. Simply passing it around in front of 2 lines of defence and racking up the possession stats won't cut it, nor does it automatically give you an advantage over the opposition.

We have a nunber of high quality players for this level, even if there is an argument to say we are lacking up front, but Bilic will need to play a big part in the success of how we transition from where we are now to how we want to be playing over the next few months.
Boing Boing

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #463 on: August 24, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »
Slaven went over the top today with the match officials and got sent off, which means he will not be in the technical area, where he needs to be, next week.
The officials were very poor , but I have been to all five games and seen him trying to influence almost every single decision. Some referees will respond if properly challenged over a decision, but not many will respond favourably to having every decision questioned.
I started off the season thinking his very active touchline style would maybe get us a few extra points, now I am not so sure. 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
Slaven went over the top today with the match officials and got sent off, which means he will not be in the technical area, where he needs to be, next week.
The officials were very poor , but I have been to all five games and seen him trying to influence almost every single decision. Some referees will respond if properly challenged over a decision, but not many will respond favourably to having every decision questioned.
I started off the season thinking his very active touchline style would maybe get us a few extra points, now I am not so sure.
The players were in the officials faces. So was he. Not a good look. We don’t need that.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #465 on: August 24, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »
The players were in the officials faces. So was he. Not a good look. We don’t need that.

Whilst I do agree it is hard when the officials are so inept though, 2 games on the trot now

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #466 on: August 24, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
It's infuriating when you have to keep putting up with inept officials. A monk would struggle to stay calm.

I don't mind Slaven having a moan. It may not  be for the purists but over the season we may benefit by getting into the officials minds. Anyone ever watch Man United under Ferguson? He won league titles by influencing officials however much others hated it and Villa didn't do a bad job of it against us over the two legs of the play offs either.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #467 on: August 24, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
His two yellows came from decisions proved by television to be incorrect,  let's hope the ban is suspended.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #468 on: August 24, 2019, 10:53:25 PM »
He was well within his rights so good for Bilic to have a go I say

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #469 on: August 24, 2019, 11:19:35 PM »
He should be setting the tone for the players. I’m all for passion but now he will be banned from the touch line.

I wouldn’t accept a player being banned for poor behaviour so I don’t accept it from the manager. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #470 on: August 24, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
He should be setting the tone for the players. I’m all for passion but now he will be banned from the touch line.

I wouldn’t accept a player being banned for poor behaviour so I don’t accept it from the manager.

Really? Because Livermore was banned for 7 games last season for sheer stupidity.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #471 on: August 25, 2019, 05:19:33 AM »

Really? Because Livermore was banned for 7 games last season for sheer stupidity.

...and that wasn’t acceptable. That’s my point. And it should have been worse for him last season as in one game he gave up on a break so he could turn round and kick a player.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #472 on: August 25, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
I would want my manager to fight my corner, he did just that against awful decision making, he may of gotten  sent off but the unity it brings to team and club is worth it, I like his passion, about time we had some.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:36:16 AM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #473 on: August 25, 2019, 08:57:20 AM »
I honestly don't think what happens on the touchline makes very little difference to what happens on the pitch. For the most part the touchline circus is about coaches venting their frustrations their players are either going to do their jobs or they won't having the coach wave his arms around and show passion makes at best a marginal difference if any.

Any ban short of a stadium ban won't hamper his ability to do the job he is paid for.

It is much more important that Bilic figures out his best XI and while I think he is fairly clear about the back half of the team I still think he is looking for the right combination of players in the front 5 positions. I don't think our performances will improve going forward until he settles on a combination and they play together for a few games.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #474 on: August 25, 2019, 10:26:32 AM »
I am really impressed in how Slaven conducts himself in interviews. Hes is clearly a very intelligent and articulate man. And he also seems to have a bit of a sense of humour, which will help. Finally I think we have a top manager at the helm.