Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409864 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1125 on: July 06, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »
When he is fit and in form I agree but sadly those things don't happen enough , I wouldn't sell for less than 6m though.
He's a bit like having a sports car that looks top notch but breaks down every 3 months , like a car those going to happen more as he gets older.

Generally agree with this I would also point out that 28 is not peak age for a winger they peak early and decline early there very  few other than occasional generational talent that have careers that stretch much into their 30's. I suspect his agent is looking at possibilities for one last payday either this year or next and probably in an more benign environment than the Championship.

While he is not earning £40k a week even at £25k he will be one of our better earners it is also the one position that we have some depth of cover (Burke Edwards Leko) the club has to balance what he brings to the table against the cost of him being here plus any fee that we forgo by running his contract down. Not sure what the answer is, it certainly isn't £2.2m but at £6m it is a clear sale. The tipping point is somewhere in between.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1126 on: July 06, 2019, 09:25:09 AM »

Generally agree with this I would also point out that 28 is not peak age for a winger they peak early and decline early there very  few other than occasional generational talent that have careers that stretch much into their 30's. I suspect his agent is looking at possibilities for one last payday either this year or next and probably in an more benign environment than the Championship.

While he is not earning £40k a week even at £25k he will be one of our better earners it is also the one position that we have some depth of cover (Burke Edwards Leko) the club has to balance what he brings to the table against the cost of him being here plus any fee that we forgo by running his contract down. Not sure what the answer is, it certainly isn't £2.2m but at £6m it is a clear sale. The tipping point is somewhere in between.

Fair comment, £2.5m with add ons or £4mil would seem to be appropriate

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1127 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
Fair comment, £2.5m with add ons or £4mil would seem to be appropriate

You’d sell Phillips for £2.5 to £4m - is this a wind-up?

Why not just sell every single player left, not many of them anyway, then we can buy 21 new ones in the next month.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1128 on: July 06, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »

Why not just sell every single player left, not many of them anyway, then we can buy 21 new ones in the next month.
A reminder this is a forum , people have their views as much as you do , no need for " is this a wind up " and the likes .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1129 on: July 06, 2019, 10:14:17 AM »

We paid £5.5m for him three years ago. If we got £4m back for a player who is now 28 and has an injury track record that's not a terrible return. On that basis he has cost us £500,000 per season - you would get a decent loan player in for that amount and Phillips has only one season left on his contract.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1130 on: July 06, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »

Totally agree.  Anywhere around £5m is reasonable in the circumstances.   He is outstanding for about 10 games a season, but he consistently misses at least a third of the season through annoying injuries and then takes several games to get matchfit.

For around £5m we could buy a younger direct replacement with good resale value.  That has to be the way forward.

As an aside, he’s been the one player who I think we’ve missed more than any other when he’s been out injured, which only increases the frustration.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1131 on: July 06, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »

Where did I suggest we sell every single player left, surely your comment is irrational at best and shows no logical connection

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1132 on: July 06, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
Phillips is worth 10 million plus in today's market, granted he's had his injury worries but what player hasn't?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1133 on: July 06, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
Phillips is worth 10 million plus in today's market, granted he's had his injury worries but what player hasn't?

100%. If he stays fit, he's will be one of the best performers in the league. He needs to be managed properly but I genuinely will smash every item of furniture in my house if we sell Phillips.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1134 on: July 06, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
Last year of his contract.  We need to cash in, or get him to sign a new contract. 

During the relegation season I was so frustrated by his complete lack of any courage, but last season I appreciated him as an attacker when he did play, but this wasn't really often enough.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1135 on: July 06, 2019, 03:56:19 PM »
100%. If he stays fit, he's will be one of the best performers in the league. He needs to be managed properly but I genuinely will smash every item of furniture in my house if we sell Phillips.

If we sell Phillips you'll need to post a link to a YouTube video as proof of this  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1136 on: July 06, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »
I think we would be crazy to sell Phillips. He is one of the few players we have who can power past more than one opponent at a time.  Has also scored some cracking goals.
People who then say, ah.. but we can buy in a replacement with the money. We won't pick up that sort of quality with the sums of money being mentioned. If Phillips was at another  club, and someone here suggested going in for him, there would messages, like 'get a grip', 'he's way out of our budget' etc.
The club is in a situation where we still have some Prem League assets, but diminishing every year. We should be trying to hold onto the best ones. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1137 on: July 06, 2019, 04:10:12 PM »
If we sell Phillips you'll need to post a link to a YouTube video as proof of this  ;) .
Will go well with my mate who said he'd get a Brunt tattoo if anybody but Appleton got the Albion job ....... ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1138 on: July 06, 2019, 05:46:30 PM »
I think we would be crazy to sell Phillips. He is one of the few players we have who can power past more than one opponent at a time.  Has also scored some cracking goals.
People who then say, ah.. but we can buy in a replacement with the money. We won't pick up that sort of quality with the sums of money being mentioned. If Phillips was at another  club, and someone here suggested going in for him, there would messages, like 'get a grip', 'he's way out of our budget' etc.
The club is in a situation where we still have some Prem League assets, but diminishing every year. We should be trying to hold onto the best ones.

A rare outbreak of common sense. I agree. The squad is far too weak on quality and numbers so we need to bring players in, not sell our better players.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1139 on: July 06, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »
A rare outbreak of common sense. I agree. The squad is far too weak on quality and numbers so we need to bring players in, not sell our better players.
If the squad is weak on numbers, then those numbers need to be fit,able and contributing.
Phillips has never been great at being fit and is getting worse (age) for me I'd take a decent bid of upwards 3.5m
There is no doubt e guy can play football but remember in the prem when he was bottling tackles, remeber all the gaps in service due to strains , remember when he comes back it take 4 matches to get up to speed....for me I'd also suggest he doesn't go at the man enough, he has the ability but plays within himself
Sell, improve
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1140 on: July 30, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
Being reported ont net that Vile are looking to sign Matty Phillips, I have no idea wether this is reliable

If correct that would not be good news for us IMO

https://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-want-to-sign-west-brom-star/
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1141 on: July 30, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »
Being reported ont net that Vile are looking to sign Matty Phillips, I have no idea wether this is reliable

If correct that would not be good news for us IMO

https://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-want-to-sign-west-brom-star/
As long as the money is right and a replacement lined up no issue whatsoever. Undoubted ability but I’d question  a)his injury record and b) his bottle.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1142 on: July 30, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
How long left on Phillips contract?

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1143 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:32 AM »
How long left on Phillips contract?
Just the one year I believe, unless we hold one of those extra year options.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1144 on: July 30, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
Hasn't he been relegated with every side he's played for in the top flight? If so let him go there.  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1145 on: July 30, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
They have been after Phillips from Leeds for weeks. Maybe just ignorant journalism reaching extreme limits. Villa are really copying Fulhams blueprint from last year, good for them!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1146 on: July 30, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »
They have been after Phillips from Leeds for weeks. Maybe just ignorant journalism reaching extreme limits. Villa are really copying Fulhams blueprint from last year, good for them!
copying Fulham’s blueprint with a worse squad and weaker manager. Interesting times ahead I’m sure.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1147 on: July 30, 2019, 12:37:36 PM »
I see this as really bad news if correct. Regardless of injury record he is a quality player imo

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1148 on: July 30, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
I do like Matty, but his injury problems did impact on us last season and the season before.

He is more prone than most to breaking down with groin injuries etc. So, if we get a good offer, I’d let him go and wish him well as he has not caused us any problems on or off the field of play and has been a model professional.

One proviso though, before selling him, we have a confirmed replacement in situ
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1149 on: July 30, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
I see this as really bad news if correct. Regardless of injury record he is a quality player imo

I agree on his quality, but,

Age = 28
Contract = 1 year
Value = declining
Fitness = played 28 to 30 games last 3 seasons
Commitment = ???

I can see a spreadsheet coming up with "a good offer and we sell"
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!