Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5165114 times)

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »
I am not a hypocrite, and I won't change the opinion I have held about Pullis.

I remember the abuse he has been rightly given over the years, for me he is not welcome, at The Hawthorns.

We are in a desperate situation, and maybe that's why so many of you have such short memories, and are prepared to sell your soul...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:39:13 PM by labaggies »
Penny Arcade.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »

I remember the abuse he has been rightly given over the years, for me he is not welcome, at The Hawthorns.

We are in a desperate situation, and maybe that's why so many of you have such short memories, and are prepared to sell your soul...
maybe not welcome at the hawthorns by you, but he is by a load more of us and if he gets them playing and keeps us up i will be more than happy.

BaggiesFacts

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »

We are in a desperate situation, and maybe that's why so many of you have such short memories.

My friend from Palace fan site 'The Eagles Beak' has just sent across a piece for our site telling of how Pulis worked wonders for them tactically and how the days of his 'long ball football' are long gone. I mean most people will tell you that anyway. And so what if we have to be more direct sometimes?

The reason he got abuse from Albion fans in the past was because we hated the fact we couldn't get one over on them. The bloke knew exactly how to beat us not just because of their style but by capitalising on our weaknesses.

Some characters in football are loved if they're yours but loathed if they're not. Pulis could well be one example of this.

Wins keep us in the Premier League and some of the stuff I've seen on this board is almost laughable. One post I came across was saying they'd prefer us to go down over having Pulis as Head Coach. Really?

We must adapt to the times, we aren't Barcelona and we probably aren't going to stay up this season now trying to play pretty football against all of our opponents. Pulis has a job to do, and I along with plenty of other Baggies fans think he will succeed.

COYB.
WBAFC - 1878

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

Nothing to do with being a hypocrite or selling souls.

Times change and at this time we need someone strong in that dressing room. Things have got complacent and seems a very comfortable environment for some and it needs shaking up. Hopefully he is the man to do it and get us on a base to build on.

He has been given abuse and rightly so but he also showed at Palace he is not only a route one manager, time will tell but it could be great appointment and could also be a disaster, time will tell.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »

I've always rated Pulis, so how is welcoming a TOP manager to the club selling your soul?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
I've got reservations myself, but TBH I like what I'm hearing, & I'ts a measure of the man, that he's going to take his time & make informed decisions on the futures of both players & backroom staff.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
Enjoyed that press conference.

Confidence is a very important thing in football, as it is in life in general when wanting to succeed, and Tony Pulis is a man who exudes confidence and this will rub off on the players. This is something Irvine lacked for me, as good a coach as Irvine may be, he just didnt seem to instil this confidence in our players. It's something Pulis himself alluded to in the press conference, our players just don't seem to have much confidence in the forward areas and this I feel is something Pulis will bring to us.

Interestingly he also said we need to bring in two or three players during the window, that suggests we will be offloading a few also.

Bob

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »

He got loads of abuse as he always used to get one over on us.

I can't think of any manager more suited to keeping us up this season. If he can't do it then we do have serious problems.

Hopefully people like you who constantly slag the club of are in the minority and most of us get behind him and do our part in helping keep the Baggies up.

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2015, 02:53:05 PM »
I thought he spoke quite well, reading between the lines sounded like there's a few players he wouldn't want and a few players he wants to come in which is a plus.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »

Dont see anyone selling their soul.

As a club we are currently only going one way and have been for a while, backwards.

Hodgson gave us stability and a real geniune belief that we not only deserved to be in the premier league, but that we deserved to actually put up a fight and achieve good league positions.

Since Hodgson has left I havent felt positive about the new coaches we have had, Mel was the only coach since then that made me actually warm to his philosphies, whether that be because he didnt get the full backing or whatever else is for a different topic.

This season from the appointment of AI, to the protests for Season ticket refunds, the way we have played, tactics, formations and various other reasons, alot of fans patience have worn thin, few people on here have admitted to turning their backs on going to games for the first time in 10,20,30 years.

We have since appointed Pulis, and the buzz around the appointment and the lift it has given us fans is clear to see. You only have to look on  the pre match chat against Gateshead to see how many people have brought tickets to go watch tomorows game now, all because of appointing a manager many fans TRUST to get the best out of our football club.

As a baggies fan, all I want is for my team to do well, to fight and battle on the pitch, attempt to play some decent football at times, put up a challenge against the so called bigger teams, and just enjoy watching my team play.

I havent had that luxury in the last 2 seaons, but do I think Pulis can provide the above, yes I do, and I guarantee theres many more albion fans who believe that too.

Pulis already has the fans backing, something which AI didnt, and I for one wish him all the best in his time at WBA.

Boing Boing

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
Good luck to the bloke . Best appointment at this given time . We need strength and confidence . Our season starts a week tomorrow .

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2015, 03:23:01 PM »

It's all about timing 2 years ago I wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole, but since then 2 things have happened:

1) We have gotten progressively worse, both on the pitch and off it
2) Tony Pulis has proved that, rather than be a one trick pony who only knows long ball, he is actually a very astute and intelligent manager who given the right group of players, can play attacking free flowing football whilst remaining tight defensively.

Accepting him is not selling your soul, it's accepting the right appointment at the right time. A square peg in a square hole.
There was, and is, no Irvine shaped hole.

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »
He got loads of abuse as he always used to get one over on us.

I can't think of any manager more suited to keeping us up this season. If he can't do it then we do have serious problems.

Hopefully people like you who constantly slag the club of are in the minority and most of us get behind him and do our part in helping keep the Baggies up.

I have never slagged the club I have loved for 55 years, I have consistently been a critic of our Chairman's motives,  which have been noted on this forum and I feel are accurate.
As for Pullis let's wait and see, but I won't change my opinions on him.
Penny Arcade.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2015, 03:41:16 PM »
I have never slagged the club I have loved for 55 years, I have consistently been a critic of our Chairman's motives,  which have been noted on this forum and I feel are accurate.
Why wait and see if you're not going to change your opinion?

Bob

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2015, 03:49:52 PM »

I think we've all heard your one eyed opinions. It would be more credible if the club/chairman we praised for the good things rather than just lambasted for the things you think they have got wrong.

The last statement says it all. Even if a miracle happened and he got us into the Champions League positions you've already admitted you wouldn't change your mind

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
All this anti Pulis stuff is beyond me. The abuse he got was because he was good and successful at what he did, which therefore resulted in us being beaten more often than not. Not a match goes by without Jose Mourinho being abused in song by opposition supporters. Is that because he is rubbish and fans don't like his style of football? I think not! It's all about jealousy and wishing that their own club had someone as cunning and knowledgeable about how to get results in the face of adversity.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
Some characters in football are loved if they're yours but loathed if they're not. Pulis could well be one example of this.

COYB.

Neil Warnock being one (though in all fairness if we had appointed him I would have never gone back) Fan slagged the club of the Head Coach/Manager things Well we now have a manager. People say he won't play "The Albion Way" He hasn't had a team kick a ball yet offically! Stoke came up when Mowbray won the Championship and have stayed comfortably up ever since. We've won less than 20 games at home in the last 2 years. Hopefully he can sort us out to stay up No team has a right to the Prem but rather be in there. than the championship. That's what I'd like in a ideal world to be comfortably mid table and maybe have another Cup run. That's the future though Good luck Mr Pulis 

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »
To be fair, from his press conference today, I saw a very mature & measured Tony Pulis, not at all what I expected. What came over was a man who knew little about WBAFC & was asking for time to find out before he made decisions. Got to say, I'm on board with that.
The most telling comment for me was his statement about the relationship between "Manager & Chairman". As I understand it, he will be responsible to Terry Burton, with a dotted line responsibility to Richard Garlick. So I think we should stand by for a power struggle.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »
I think this is a fantastic appointment. I can’t understand what people who are against his appointment want. I get fed up with people who just moan for the sake of it.
All those who rave about Hodgson for instance. He was very defensive and regimented. His win % is very similar to Pulis and only marginally better with good players at Liverpool.
Who else did people want? Martinez, Brendon Rogers? Some people need to grow up and get real. This is premier league football. If you don’t like Pulis don’t come to the games, carry on whinging from your computer while the rest of us get on and support the club. Some people just have a moaning mind set. No matter who we would have got they would criticise. I have never liked Roy Keane but I would have had him play for us in a heart beat. He play in a so called cultured way but it was his passion and will to win that I want in my Albion team and Pulis will bring this. I want to be proud of my club for trying their hardest to win. Not trying to look pretty and lose.
Ask Arsenal fans would they be content to keep playing the “beautiful game” for the next 20 years and win nothing or play with players like  Keown or Bould  who are of the Pulis mould and gained many honours winning  games 1-0? 

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »
Good luck to the bloke . Best appointment at this given time . We need strength and confidence . Our season starts a week tomorrow .
Well it starts tomorrow for me! I agree with the comments from the likes of Merson & Savage, that say we're going to stay up now, & no I'm not just being cocky & getting complacent, it`s just that I've got so much belief in the guy! So, hopefully tomorrow will be the start of something that most Baggies fans like myself crave for ... A cup run!

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »
He's already spoken much about unity, togetherness  and making the place a fortress again - very sensible and pragmatic !

Anyone not ready to do their bit for the Club ?

I'm in !  :o
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »
Very impressive in his interviews today.

We should be in very capable hands if everyone at the Club does their job correctly and a few key additions PLUS the fans backing the team and coaches even if we get a few early set backs.

Wasn't going to Gateshead (with a heavy heart) after Citech and Stoke surrenders..................now you won't keep me away tomorrow as we enter a fascinating month...........
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2015, 05:15:54 PM »
For me the main objectives are:

1. Make the Hawthorns a fortress to which no team fancies coming, with a resulting rise in home wins/fewer defeats.

2. Make us a very tough team to beat when we play away.

3. To stop being viewed as a "too nice" team, which doesn't like a battle.

4. To get our identity back and to get the fans back on side.

Tony Pulis is capable of achieving all of this without reverting to anything like the "hoof ball"  reputation.  A bigger, stronger, faster side does not mean a team full of thugs.

For many years other clubs have "liked and respected" us.  I don't care if we are less "liked", but the "respect" must be retained.

Well done Jeremy Peace.  You've done a good job over the past few days.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
What a bunch of tossers. Sums up in one picture EVERYTHING that is wrong with Professional football of today. If I was Pulis I'd tear all that rubbish away from their head and faces. It's not even bloody cold today! Were they not intending to do anything to actually warm up in training?? They are supposed to be professional athletes for gods sake, not a bunch of bloody gangsters! Just imagine what Hagan would have done with that lot in the winter of 1964.
you'd think they'd run around like headless chickens on the pitch just to keep warm! oh yeah they do! lol I'm sure TP will sort it!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter