Author Topic: Simon Cox-We need to keep him  (Read 17789 times)

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Simon Cox-We need to keep him
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »
Personally I don't think he's anywhere near good enough technically or tactically to play in the Premier League consistently, and lets be honest he wouldn't get a look in if Dorrans and Morrison were fit.

I admire his work ethic and gave him a standing ovation for his efforts yesterday, but for me if we stay up he's one of a few fringe players we need to look at moving on if we're going to move up a level next season.
I'm torn between the opinion of Norfolk and yourself.
After the game I hung around to get some autographs (Thorne, Meite, Olsson and Cox all obliged) and mentioned to Simon that I thought he played really well..he said he was very tired...not suprising as both he and St Peter ran their conkers off ;D
His performance against Liverpool left me in some doubt as to whether we should unload Simon in the summer...his passing was good and he didn't give the ball away once...which is more than one can say for Paul Scharner ::) ???
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »
Got to be one who can make progress and focus under a manager like Hodgson, surely?  He just needs to be a bit less headless in his racing round the park and think about where the ball is likely to be in 5/10 secs not just where it is now.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 10:38:42 AM »
thought he did really well and took his shoot brilliantly in the second half (still think he is the best finisher at the club)

agree with people saying would he have played if morrison and dorrans weren't out. i also think if Vela had returned from Mexico in better shape he may have played instead

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
Played well although im still not convinced he can impact a premiership game that much, though Saturdays performance shows he is improving.
I only go for the beer.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
I thought Cox was a second striker Saturday not a midfielder?? It seemed 4-4-2 to me anyway!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »
I think he was upfront when we had the ball and dropping back when we didn't - almost a free role.
I only go for the beer.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
The one thing he does better than either Dorrans or Morrison is get in the box. When Odemwingie runs the channels and get's the ball we usually don't have anybody in the box for him to cross to. Yesterday Cox was straight in there ready to get on the end of things. Whereas Dorrans and Morrison sit back.

Agreed.

It is so frustrating to see pete busting a gut pulling defenders here there and everywhere leaving a gaping whole in the middle only for no-one to fill it
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

slugga1

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
I still stand by what i previously said about him he's desperately unlucky not to have scored a few (in the not very many chances he's had) actually i'd love to see his shooting stats, he always seems to hit the target.
Tony Pulis is ...The Equaliser

Rich99

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:02 PM »
I think Dorrans would have done better in his role. This season I'd say that's our most balanced/best starting 11. The one yesterday, with Dorrans instead of Cox.

I think Cox's acid test is the rest of the season.

I agree, I think if he gets the chance, now is the time to cement his stay.

However, I think Dorrans, Morrison and Vela are all still possibly all ahead of him though, so I'm not sure he will get the games.

As far as Fortune goes, I think it's horses for courses with Roy and if Odemwingie is left out due to the needed physical presence of Fortune (as has happened), Cox is even further down the pecking order, as right now, he offers nothing Odemwingie doesn't.

All in all, he's a young lad who may well develop, but in my humble opinion, I'm yet to be convinced that he's a Premiership quality striker.

Rich99

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »
I still stand by what i previously said about him he's desperately unlucky not to have scored a few

That's the thing though, goal poachers, a fox in the box, folk who are 'deadly' in front of goal etc (all the things Cox is claimed to be)... are never 'unlucky not to have scored', they bury the slightest sniff of a chance, that's their bread and butter, their game.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »
Told you.... if we let him go we will really loose out on a player shaping up to be real class

Ogwani

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »
If Pete's injured I'd prefer Coxy up front instead of Fortuné.

JS.

j2burnz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »
youtube simon cox goals. he scored some absolout screamers fir swindon, real quality goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0YuNuPrhw&feature=related

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »
if we beat villa we are pretty much safe all be it mathamatical!
roy can afford to give him a fullgame so he can show what hes got
O Albion we love you

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 06:07:24 AM »
I think we should keep Cox.He is still young and have room for improvement.Also,he is very hardworking all the time,I like this type of players very much.He may have to sit on the bench because we have Dorrans and Morrsion,but we can play cox when we need a goal, just like Vela.
The PRIDE of midlands

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
 Totally agree with keeping him, but in my opinion he isn't good enough to be a regular starter unless we start playing 2 up front.

As for being the best finisher at the club, the same was said about Craig Beattie at the time and look what happened to him.

eaststandbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 09:20:52 AM »
Playing 2 up front I think he is a gem in the making.He is not a midfielder he is a goal scorer
I was there when The King put the ball in the Everton net.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
May not be as talented as dorrans, but in that midfield role IMO he shows more than morrison for a start, the last few games that coxy has played it is obvious with his work ethic and intelligence how much space and freedom he gives peter, something peter is thriving on
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

bromsgrovebaggy

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:17 PM »
If Pete's injured I'd prefer Coxy up front instead of Fortuné.

JS.

Agreed totally

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Conscious at the Match yesterday just how much Cox added.  He is still just off the level of a top premiership striker but he will get there and I love his work rate and effort.  Seen some speculation he will go to Ipswich in the Summer and I think that would be a mistake for him and for us.  Welcome your thoughts
Good post Norfolk.
Simon Cox like Boaz Myhill, Steven Reid and Nicky Shorey sat on the bench, worked hard in training and didn't moan.
He bided his time and seized his chance when it came along, I'm so very pleased for the man he's one of the many "proper Old School Professionals" we have at the club. :)
When you think of just how many petulant prima Donna's there are out there we're Lucky to him people with that attitude and application.
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
 Thought he was excellent today close run thing between him and Jonas for MOM.His pass for the winner was sublime surely he must have a future at the Albion.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
Was brilliant today.

Showed strength beyond his size, and had a great touch.

Has played his way in to that team and is there on merit now.

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
what a pass to Mulumbu for the winner, the kids only 22 an' all!!!
Born and bred in Dudley

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
what a pass to Mulumbu for the winner, the kids only 22 an' all!!!

24. But yes great pass.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
Ive not been one of his biggest fans but always liked his commitment and effort, aia'm starting to be won over as the kid keeps doing the right things at the right time.
Take a bow Coxy and keep doing the right things
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'