Author Topic: Your 3 things to improve on next season.  (Read 9049 times)

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

Re: Your 3 things to improve on next season.
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:24 AM »
1)Defence
2) Midfield
3)Attack
IF we can improve in the above 3 areas we will be alright :D :D ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Doobuy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »
1. Depth
2. first 15 minutes
3. crossing

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
1) Posession

We need to get the ball, and keep it, not just keep throwing it away. 'If you have the ball, and you are in their half, they can't score'.

2) Ambition

Have a go at the cups. Maybe break the transfer record for the right player. We are in the best position we have been in since before I was born, it's time we started acting like it.

3) Consistency

The last couple of seasons we have had spells where we have dropped off, especially (alarmingly) towards the end of this season. We have also had players who have good spells, and then can't do anything right for weeks. A bit more consistency would go a long way to ensuring a 5th successive Premier League season, and maybe matching what we have this year.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
If I could slightly change the issue to 3 things that the manager needs to change for next season, which I think is the relevant issue, I would say:
1 When players go off form, no matter how "established" they are, drop them for a few games and give someone else a chance. Keep the someone else in the side until they play badly. This means we would play our in form players, keep everyone on their toes, and give the message that if you play well you are in and if you dont you are out. Too many players this season have kept their places when it is obvious they are out of form.
2 Get the players motivated so that they are in the faces of the opposition from the word go. Far too often, our first half performances have been poor. We seem to lack ambition in the first half. It is no use pumping up the team for the second half if we are already two goals down.
3 Get a new captain, who can lead by example and is a good communicator on the field, who is an organiser, who demands high standards, and can inspire the other players. Chris Brunt has never been, is not, and never will be that person. I'm not sure we have such a person in the club just now, but we sure as hell need one.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
If I could slightly change the issue to 3 things that the manager needs to change for next season, which I think is the relevant issue, I would say:
1 When players go off form, no matter how "established" they are, drop them for a few games and give someone else a chance. Keep the someone else in the side until they play badly. This means we would play our in form players, keep everyone on their toes, and give the message that if you play well you are in and if you dont you are out. Too many players this season have kept their places when it is obvious they are out of form.
2 Get the players motivated so that they are in the faces of the opposition from the word go. Far too often, our first half performances have been poor. We seem to lack ambition in the first half. It is no use pumping up the team for the second half if we are already two goals down.
3 Get a new captain, who can lead by example and is a good communicator on the field, who is an organiser, who demands high standards, and can inspire the other players. Chris Brunt has never been, is not, and never will be that person. I'm not sure we have such a person in the club just now, but we sure as hell need one.

Whilst im not disagreeing with the sentiment Tim the problem with point 1 is that we dont really have the replacements for that at this level. Its part of the problem in itself. To upgrade our wages and quality and keep the squad together we have been forced to shave the size of the squad to fit the budget and try and keep them fit to play. But the loss of form burn out problem is nigh on impossible to resolve unless we increase the budget. Will JP do this. I dont think so if it compromises the stability of the club and nor should he. At the end of season gala he spoke of the need to "think outside the box" more than ever. The question is what can be done to address the point you make?

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »
Morrison kept his place for far too long when it was obvious his form was non-existent. Why not try Dorrans in his position instead of shunting Graham out on the wing all the time... just as an example of embedded players enjoying immunity from being dropped. Olsson is another.

Our squad is too thin simply, when our core players that carry the team loose form/get injurd/have internationals that wear them out, we have nothing else and that shows in our results.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:08:21 PM by GrGr »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 10:08:08 PM »
Morrison kept his place for far too long when it was obvious his form was non-exsistent. Why not try Dorrans in his position instead of shunting Graham out on the wing all the time... just as an example of embedded players enjoying imunity from being dropped. Olsson is another.

Our squad is too thin simply, when our core players that carry the team loose form/get injurd/have internationals that wear them out, we have nothing else and that shows in our results.
I agree with that , it seems under Clarke if Mozza isn't fit nobody else can play behind the forward. I'm convinced Dorrans or even Brunt could play that role (sorry Phil  :) :)) , off the top of my head only Rosenberg got a go against Stoke.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 12:00:47 AM »
Sorry mate, never happen. He's an excellent player in his rightful position but that ain't anywhere near the centre. I do worry that there are a couple who regardless of form are automatic selections.

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »
1. First Half - Too many times this season i have seen us go and play awful first half, to then play really well the 2nd half. It shouldnt take us a whole 45 minutes of football, or even going 1-0 down to make us start playing. It would be nice to start the 1st half of games, the way we normally start the 2nd.

2. Width - If we are to continue with formations such as 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1, it would be nice to have a couple of out and out wingers who will actually run at and/or take on the fullback. We havent really had that this season and it feels like we've been trying to put square pegs in round holes playing Fortune and Dorrans on the wing instead of their natural position.

3. Concentration - This is a big one for me. We seem to just lose concentration towards the end of the game and i think ive lost count of how many late goals we've conceded.

Smethwick..

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
Morrison kept his place for far too long when it was obvious his form was non-existent. Why not try Dorrans in his position instead of shunting Graham out on the wing all the time... just as an example of embedded players enjoying immunity from being dropped.

Agree with this. Morrison's form has been poor for months now, Dorrans meanwhile has worked tirelessly out wide but has never been given a decent crack centrally, which after all is where he originally thrived. 
"This crack is really moreish."

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
1. Attacking players. We need wide players and a goal scorer. Preferably players that can play out wide and as the central striker (and are happy to do so). In the games where we played wirth fluidity earlier in the season the movement of Long, Gera and Odemwingie was top class, I think it was QPR at home when they were constantly inter-changing positions and as a result QPR's back line was run ragged.

2. Support. Here's a novel idea try singing songs about US rather than about our near rivals? You know actually SUPPORTING the team. Singing "S*** on the Villa" every game is hardly getting behind us is it? It makes us look stupid AND feeds the Villa fans idea that we are obsessed with them. Sing it when we play them..... and as for singing songs about Steve Bull...jesus wept! I thought Wolves fans were sad for singing about a player that hasn't played for nearly 20 years. Again it's funny when we play them as Bully would probably be in attendance but otherwise it's just sad.

3. Spend the summer working out what our best formation is and sticking with it. If you want to try 3-5-2 then try it with the best 11 players suited to playing that. No more square pegs in round holes.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
1. Attacking players. We need wide players and a goal scorer. Preferably players that can play out wide and as the central striker (and are happy to do so). In the games where we played wirth fluidity earlier in the season the movement of Long, Gera and Odemwingie was top class, I think it was QPR at home when they were constantly inter-changing positions and as a result QPR's back line was run ragged.

2. Support. Here's a novel idea try singing songs about US rather than about our near rivals? You know actually SUPPORTING the team. Singing "S*** on the Villa" every game is hardly getting behind us is it? It makes us look stupid AND feeds the Villa fans idea that we are obsessed with them. Sing it when we play them..... and as for singing songs about Steve Bull...jesus wept! I thought Wolves fans were sad for singing about a player that hasn't played for nearly 20 years. Again it's funny when we play them as Bully would probably be in attendance but otherwise it's just sad.

3. Spend the summer working out what our best formation is and sticking with it. If you want to try 3-5-2 then try it with the best 11 players suited to playing that. No more square pegs in round holes.

Only time i've really heard us sing about Bull this year is at Southampton, Man City and before the game at Norwich. Other than that there may have been the odd chant but nothing more. On the rare occasion our support has actually sung it has been more about the Albion than anything else with the odd one at the villa taking pleasure in their poor season, so no obsession just urine taking. Big improvement this season on past seasons for me.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
Only time i've really heard us sing about Bull this year is at Southampton, Man City and before the game at Norwich. Other than that there may have been the odd chant but nothing more. On the rare occasion our support has actually sung it has been more about the Albion than anything else with the odd one at the villa taking pleasure in their poor season, so no obsession just pee taking. Big improvement this season on past seasons for me.

but why sing about Bull/Wolves and Villa when we aren't playing them? what's the point of "taking the pee" when the subject of the humour isn't there?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
but why sing about Bull/Wolves and Villa when we aren't playing them? what's the point of "taking the pee" when the subject of the humour isn't there?

Those 3 games were around the time they dropped. If we aren't allowed to take the pee on those occasions then lets all go home and have a cup of horlicks shall we ?

row ww

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
The Steve Bull song was sung a few times in the Wigan home game.