Author Topic: Mbaye Diagne  (Read 84123 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Mbaye Diagne
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2021, 06:46:58 PM »
No we didn't Southampton bought out that contract.

Was reported in various papers we did. How much did we pay him roughly then?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2021, 06:48:54 PM »
Was reported in various papers we did. How much did we pay him roughly then?

Something around a about £25k in the Championship and £50k in the Premier League (too much in both cases) and the same principle applies to Diangne.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2021, 06:49:16 PM »
He would have if AMN could pass a simple cross.

He had 2 big chances today and scored 1 of them. Good strike rate but the 2nd was a poor miss.

So was the third  :o
He had 3 good chances
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2021, 06:52:09 PM »
Something around a about £25k in the Championship and £50k in the Premier League (too much in both cases) and the same principle applies to Diangne.

Never seen those figures bandied around in any of the papers. Local/Athletic said more around 50k EFL/70k PL. Interesting I'll have a Google unless you can name the source in here

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2021, 06:57:41 PM »
He had 3 good chances

I'm on about the 3rd, the 2nd one was being brought back for a foul. So he had 2 good chances.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #255 on: February 14, 2021, 07:12:44 PM »
Looks a handful and scored a great goal but, true to form, more words about the misses.
I'f he keeps going like this then I hope we keep him for the promotion push. Mitrovic played a season in the Championship, as did Gayle, Rodriguez and Grealish so no reason why Diagne won't.

If people are on a downer after today they may as well pull the quilt over until August.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2021, 07:47:18 PM »
Never seen those figures bandied around in any of the papers. Local/Athletic said more around 50k EFL/70k PL. Interesting I'll have a Google unless you can name the source in here

£70k was certainly mentioned in the PL.

Around £30k/£35k is tops for any Championship player.  It’s why we’ll struggle to sign Gayle I suspect.  Would love to see Diagne and Gayle together

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2021, 07:49:54 PM »
Why agree a fee then? There's every chance imo.

Not if an when we go down. He will have better options I feel.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2021, 07:55:42 PM »
if agreement is in place then personal terms are more than likely agreed as for you not wanting him here that probably a mute point.

If he does well now and we go down, then we could exercise out right to buy him and then sell him on at a profit.

A salary must have been agreed with him for next season (I assume a flex
down) for him to have agreed to his part of the deal if we can buy him for £4m. Maybe he’d be getting a £1m signing-on fee which is worth £20k/week extra to him to make up the difference next season.

Dorrans17

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »
This guy reminds me of Somen Tchoyi, one minute it looks like he can be playing at Barca, the next Blackpool.

Baggie

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2021, 08:28:15 PM »
Although its still early days, he seems to have a good positional sense and anticipate chances. He also looks strong without being static and today was clearly a handful for the Man U defenders.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »
I'm on about the 3rd, the 2nd one was being brought back for a foul. So he had 2 good chances.

Was it given as a foul?
If it was Diagne didn't know it would be
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2021, 10:29:05 PM »
If the fee and wages are agreed he cant turn us down whether he is happy playing in the champ or not, I would sign him no matter what as he would kill the champ which is where we will definatley be next season. If he continues his good form this season and we go down, if we bought him there would be loads of takers if we wanted to sell straight on at a pretty penny.
Gera, Gera, Gera

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2021, 08:19:32 AM »
He had 3 good chances

Of the three good chances two were completely of his own creation. Very few strikers would’ve got on the end of that cross to score the goal, same applies to the chance where he bullies Maguire. The chance from Furlong’s cross is an absolute sitter no doubt.

He’s class. Had a very good game yesterday, it’s a breath of fresh air actually having a striker at the club.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:55 PM »
He will either score the goals and we will activate deal and he will be bought straight away for a quick earner. Or we go down and he comes with us. The guy needs a home. Like odemwingie he has gone all over the place without ever really staying.
O Albion we love you

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
I like him on the limited evidence so far.

He's a handful, a real nuisance for defenders. He reminds me of Alan Shearer the way he puts himself about.

Not saying he's that good, he almost certainly isn't, not entirely convinced by his finishing, but no defender is going to be comfortable with him around.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2021, 01:14:32 PM »
I'm in the unconvinced camp.

He wont be allowed to clamber over the defenders the way he did for his goal, or the second chance. He's clumsy and unorthodox which is why I likened him to Tchoyi. At one point in the second half he attempted a relatively simple ball over the top and put it out of play with the type of miss hit you dont really see from top players. I think the league will get wise to and learn how to defend against him quickly.

He will get a few goals because he is a nuisance, but is he more than a 6 a season man in the top flight? I dont know, I wouldn't rush to complete the signing just yet. 

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #267 on: February 16, 2021, 01:23:06 PM »

He wont be allowed to clamber over the defenders the way he did for his goal, or the second chance. He's clumsy and unorthodox which is why I likened him to Tchoyi. At one point in the second half he attempted a relatively simple ball over the top and put it out of play with the type of miss hit you dont really see from top players. I think the league will get wise to and learn how to defend against him quickly.

He will get a few goals because he is a nuisance, but is he more than a 6 a season man in the top flight? I dont know, I wouldn't rush to complete the signing just yet.

I think he’d get 20+ in the Championship. Let’s get him alongside Gayle

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2021, 01:24:26 PM »

I reckon over a 38 game season he'd get into the double figures in terms of goals. Maybe only just but I'd back him to do it.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2021, 03:11:58 AM »
Whatever Mbaye’s goal return is in the Premier , it will be a good deal better than we get from the striker we signed in the summer ,Karlan Grant ! One up to Big Sam over Slav  there methinks .

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2021, 09:37:54 AM »
I think he would get 10 up like Rondon.
It’s the nuisance value he brings so other players get goals
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »
I think he would get 10 up like Rondon.
It’s the nuisance value he brings so other players get goals

Agreed, too often fans focus on goals which is important but not everything. I always thought Marc Antoine Fortune was great at the nuisance factor and was present during our best spell in the Premier League. He barely scored but his overall play was fantastic.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #272 on: February 20, 2021, 04:55:24 PM »
That’s why he’s on loan, useless

mini gaardsoe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #273 on: February 20, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »

Yet our best forward by miles, depressing

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2021, 04:59:44 PM »

Useless? Thats harsh, he's the only striker we have that looks like scoring during a game.
If that shot had gone in and not hit the bar you'd be singing a different tune.