Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640336 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1400 on: August 10, 2019, 11:10:27 AM »
United had 3 of their top under 23's unavailable tonight, while we have put out one of the strongest under 23 sides we are likely to put out all season.

Disappointing to see them get such a big hammering.
It was a dreadful performance and while not one to knee jerk its a possible worrying sign of things to come .
A lot of our team played in the FA Youth Cup run , add to that Fitzwater in the back line whose played plenty of league games . Tulloch , my main reason for watching was poor and Soule looked light weight .
This was against a weakened side as Baggies says and a average team anyway now , could easily have been 6 or 7 .
Frankly embarrassing performance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1401 on: August 23, 2019, 01:16:14 PM »
Playing at the Hawthorns tonight v Sunderland 7pm KO. I am going up and i am taking my 5 year old Granddaughter to her first game! I am really nervous and i am praying she enjoys it and doesn't want to go home after 10 minutes!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1402 on: August 23, 2019, 02:51:01 PM »
Playing at the Hawthorns tonight v Sunderland 7pm KO. I am going up and i am taking my 5 year old Granddaughter to her first game! I am really nervous and i am praying she enjoys it and doesn't want to go home after 10 minutes!!

I've decided I'm going up too. Be good to have a look at the kids coming through.

I'm sure your granddaughter will love it. Hopefully that's another new fan we can hook.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1403 on: August 23, 2019, 07:57:49 PM »
Half time 4-0 and cruising. Soule, Willock 2, tulloch. Got some  good kids here.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1404 on: August 23, 2019, 08:56:03 PM »
Finished 6-0 Soule again and a beauty from Azaz

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1405 on: August 23, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
Booking their places in the first team?
Looks good for them.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1406 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43:12 PM »
Jekyll and Hyde stuff after the Yanited performance.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1407 on: August 23, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »
Booking their places in the first team?
Looks good for them.

There's some talent there that's for sure. It's one game against a team they were a level above and I'd like to see them three or four times before making a proper judgement. No-one looked poor to be honest but a few stand outs for me:

Dan Meredith - Very impressive at right back. Get's forward constantly. Uses the bell well, thinks quickly. Good athleticism. What he's like defensively I've no idea it was pretty much all Albion all game, but he's one I'd keep an eye on. So much energy.

Jack Fitzwater - You can see why he's played league football. He's a bit of leader, committed, used the ball well and won just about everything in the air. Again not tested enough defensively but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

Finn Azaz - Lovely footballer. Played in the Sawyers position. Two good feet, good vision, not only can spot a pass but can execute them too. Doesn't just play sideways. Not sure how athletic he is but he's a good footballer. Only 18. Another one to watch.

Those three were the pick for me, not that any of them did much wrong. Not sure about the left back Harman, got run by Sunderland's right winger three times first half. Tulloch and Willock did OK without pulling up trees,Clayton-Phillips showed glimpses.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1408 on: September 02, 2019, 11:02:37 PM »
U23 side lost 2-1 at Reading, Jamie Soule opened the scoring for us

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/september2/reading-pl2-v-albion-pl2-match-report/

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1409 on: September 02, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »
U23 side lost 2-1 at Reading, Jamie Soule opened the scoring for us

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/september2/reading-pl2-v-albion-pl2-match-report/
I, and probably quite a few others, haven't seen Jamie Soule play, but he seems to be scoring for fun at the minute. Would be interested in the views of those who have seen him. Is he near first team ability or is that a way down the road?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1410 on: September 02, 2019, 11:25:13 PM »
I, and probably quite a few others, haven't seen Jamie Soule play, but he seems to be scoring for fun at the minute. Would be interested in the views of those who have seen him. Is he near first team ability or is that a way down the road?
Quick , sharp and a neat finisher . Physically light at the minute for me though

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1411 on: September 03, 2019, 12:07:03 AM »
Bit surprised to see Jamie Soule (19 in a couple of months), Nick Clayton-Phillips (20 this month), Finn Azaz (19), Rayhaan Tulloch (18) and Jack Fitzwater (22 in a few weeks) all stay here despite being further away from the first team than I am, especially with how well Leko’s loan spell has started. Not quite sure what the grand plan is with these lads if i’m honest, and I worry we will lose them without them ever playing for us with at least 1 or 2 coming back to bite. All of these lads had stand out ore seasons one way or another (be that playing first team, or impressing for the reserves), yet they will now spend another few months playing reserve football with no real chance of making first team.

Can’t blame the likes of Barry, Rodgers, Smith, Sinclair, Brown, Roberts, Dhanda and Throne for leaving our academy in recent years, because, despite giving a couple of these lads opportunities, we are still falling back on giving enough of them the right pathways.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1412 on: September 03, 2019, 12:14:57 AM »
Bit surprised to see Jamie Soule (19 in a couple of months), Nick Clayton-Phillips (20 this month), Finn Azaz (19), Rayhaan Tulloch (18) and Jack Fitzwater (22 in a few weeks) all stay here despite being further away from the first team than I am, especially with how well Leko’s loan spell has started. Not quite sure what the grand plan is with these lads if i’m honest, and I worry we will lose them without them ever playing for us with at least 1 or 2 coming back to bite. All of these lads had stand out ore seasons one way or another (be that playing first team, or impressing for the reserves), yet they will now spend another few months playing reserve football with no real chance of making first team.

Can’t blame the likes of Barry, Rodgers, Smith, Sinclair, Brown, Roberts, Dhanda and Throne for leaving our academy in recent years, because, despite giving a couple of these lads opportunities, we are still falling back on giving enough of them the right pathways.

They blow far too hot and cold in u23s never mind men's football. All you mention, with the exception of Fitzwater who is unlikely to be good enough, have 2 or 3 more seasons to make a bid for the first team or head out on loan. You'd be looking at non league for all of these lads for a loan move at this stage, not sure it would do them much good.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1413 on: September 05, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
Myhill is the new goalkeeping coach and a user on another forum has hinted that the other positions will be filled in the coming days, reckons Fletcher may be one of them. I don’t know this user and can’t vouch for validity.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1414 on: September 05, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »
Myhill is the new goalkeeping coach and a user on another forum has hinted that the other positions will be filled in the coming days, reckons Fletcher may be one of them. I don’t know this user and can’t vouch for validity.
I know who you mean , lives in fantasy land .
Repeats everything he hears off other itk or formally Matt Wilson.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1415 on: September 05, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
I know who you mean , lives in fantasy land .
Repeats everything he hears off other itk or formally Matt Wilson.

A positive Slav to those voices of his   :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1416 on: September 10, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
Birmingham Mail says Coventry City’s Steven Richards leads the options to replace Mark Harrison as Academy Manager with Chris McGuane another option known by Dowling at Watford and Forest.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-west-brom-considering-candidates-16889430

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1417 on: September 13, 2019, 08:05:07 PM »
Richard Stevens expected to be the new academy manager. He’s done extremely well at Coventry, who have bought through the likes of James Maddison and Callum Wilson. Can’t help but feel we may have actually improved on Mark Harrison. Well done to Luke Dowling imo, he has done very well so far in his appointments.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1418 on: September 13, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »
West Brom are set to hire David Kerslake as their new head of academy coaching, according to The Athletic journalist Steve Madeley
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1419 on: September 14, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
West Brom are set to hire David Kerslake as their new head of academy coaching, according to The Athletic journalist Steve Madeley

A quick search tells me he's never been in an Academy set up. This could be a bit of a risk!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1420 on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
Welcome to the Albion Richard Stevens..................

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/september2/new-academy-boss-completes-restructure/

.............. as for our youngsters Rico Richards, remember the name.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1421 on: September 17, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
Welcome to the Albion Richard Stevens..................

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/september2/new-academy-boss-completes-restructure/

.............. as for our youngsters Rico Richards, remember the name.
Stevens seems a decent appointment based on his experience and record at Coventry.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1422 on: October 08, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »
Jamie Soule signed a new three year contract. Pleased with this! https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/october/soule-signs-new-three-year-deal/

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1423 on: October 08, 2019, 07:46:37 PM »
Jamie Soule signed a new three year contract. Pleased with this! https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/october/soule-signs-new-three-year-deal/
Yes that is very good news

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1424 on: October 28, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
Zohore with an easy far post header puts Albion in front in the second half against Swansea
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 12:03:42 AM by OldburyWBA »