Author Topic: 6 Feb 2019 Albion 1 Brighton 3 (FA Cup Ro 4 Replay)  (Read 68135 times)

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #450 on: February 07, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »
What a weird game - it was almost like an England friendly. Perhaps if Jones is running the show he thought he was managing a Belgian international friendly ?

I enjoyed watching the kids get on the pitch but it almost seemed reckless to do that to that extent last night and use/ waste two subs in Dawson/ JRod? Weird - I'm beginning to wonder about Moore a bit to be honest after that. Another question lingers is whether Jones is really the one in charge and Moore is a front man? That's the way it seemed last night?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #451 on: February 07, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
Here's an away view if you're interested.

It is a crying shame that modern football reduces the FA Cup to fringe squad players and on balance I think our squad players probably just about deserved it. 

Thought Tulloch looked a real prospect for you and HRK is the kind of immobile big man it is easy to underappreciate - Ashley Barnes was held in similar regard with us, but I'd have him over Andone and Locadia, neither of whom are remotely prolific enough as you saw over 2 games.

Ultimately you only lost it because your manager had made all his subs too early.  Schoolboy error, that.  Oh, and because Glenn Murray just simply puts the ball in the net.  I worry for us when he retires, we are far too dependent on him.

Anyway, best of luck this season - I hope you got up, and it's a sentiment that is shared by many on our board it seems.

Always nice to see the view from the opposition so thanks for popping on and sharing.

Whilst its disappointing to go out last night, I think overall you guys deserved it over the 120 minutes. Murray came on and made the difference, something which Gayle may have done for us if we hadn't used all our subs so early.

I really like the look of your centre midfielder, Bassouma? He has looked tidy over the 2 games.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: February 07, 2019, 08:59:54 AM »
Now the dust has settled abit and I have had a think about it, I have tried to take the positives out of the game.

1 - The youth players are ready and can be relied upon to help out the first team, they will have took a lot of experience out of the 2 games and will have learnt a lot, which could be invaluable.
2 - The experience for Rogers will help him immensely, seemed nervy at first which is expected but had one moment where he turned the defender inside out and drove forward/
3 - Tulloch looks a real prospect.
4 - The subs were bemusing, was Rodriguez injured or being saved? Did we need to make the Dawson sub or again was he being saved. In hindsight the early subs killed us off. If we could have replaced HRK with Gayle and kept 11 on the field we may have been having a different conversation.
5 - The experiment of 3-5-2 didn't work for me and cements my opinion that we need to continue as 4-3-3.
6 - Hoolahan should be getting ALOT more game time, he is above Brunt, Morrison and all the other 'regular' subs that are made.
7 - I still think Johnstone is a better keeper than Bond.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #453 on: February 07, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »
Why so much negativity about HRK?

Thought he done a decent job tonight and received a standing ovation on Saturday.

Hopefully he’s not out for long, we’re goinh to need him with our run in

Have to agree, he played well last night, but he shouldn't be starting in the Championship first team now we have other options.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #454 on: February 07, 2019, 09:16:02 AM »
Have to agree, he played well last night, but he shouldn't be starting in the Championship first team now we have other options.
think he gave Jones shares in his tech firm so don't hold your breath, yes Jones from where I'm looking it's him who runs the football side of club

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #455 on: February 07, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
8,645 there  :o  It was indeed our lowest ever 4th round (or equivalent) crowd at the Hawthorns. Incidentally, 59,448 against Pompey in 1956 is the highest.

When’s the last time we had a crowd that low for a competitive game?

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: February 07, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
I've been going regularly since 2001 and I have never seen one that low. Bit ironic I think when we see people moaning about not getting a Villa ticket

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: February 07, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
Anyone else just sick and tired of how we go out in the cup? It seems like a broken record now. Face a mediocre side at home we are capable of beating, we score, they score, then they score another one in the second half and we can't equalise. Repeat next season and go out hopelessly early.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #458 on: February 07, 2019, 11:03:23 AM »
Anyone else just sick and tired of how we go out in the cup? It seems like a broken record now. Face a mediocre side at home we are capable of beating, we score, they score, then they score another one in the second half and we can't equalise. Repeat next season and go out hopelessly early.
define “hopelessly early”? Round of 32 isn’t terrible out of 737 teams.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #459 on: February 07, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »
define “hopelessly early”? Round of 32 isn’t terrible out of 737 teams.
In my mind, going out in first two games of the competition is early. Hopelessly is subjective, but its an early exit.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #460 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
Normally under previous regimes thats fringe players / bomb squad , in fairness Moore has played kids in both cups in every game .
I agree on the going out softly but these kids will have gained far , far more from Cup games than the odd under 23 game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #461 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
For what it is worth I thought we played well.  Harper, Tulloch, Field all with great performances, Bond again solid in goal.  Some strange substitutions I will grant you- Dawson (a sub already) for Hegazi?  However, I am pleased he used the youngsters, I enjoyed watching them, their effort was first class, and I think we would have one if it wasn't for a colossal cock up in defence to make it 1-1.  Sorry but given we still have hopes of automatic promotion, or approach to this match was spot on.  We may even have risked too much if Dawson is injured alongside HRK- who had a good game IMO.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #462 on: February 07, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »

You can't have ever kicked a ball in anger if you think he should have anticipated a 20 yard bounce on a first touch of a professional footballer.
Dawson knew straight away he couldn't get to the ball first in a one on one foot race, so he tried to block the guy's run and ended up on all fours - not really his fault he got put in that situation

On the 3 at the back business, I can't be the only one to have noticed that although we are much better away as 433, our home form has pretty well tanked since the switch.  Maybe we should be 3 at the back at home.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:15:55 PM by mulliganstired »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #463 on: February 07, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »
Dawson knew straight away he couldn't get to the ball first in a one on one foot race, so he tried to block the guy's run and ended up on all fours - not really his fault he got put in that situation

Not Dawson's fault at all he and everyone else should be taking for granted Bartley controlling that ball. You have to trust the players you play with. Shocking from Bartley, added to the penalty he should've conceded at the Amex. Contrary to what some people say "he's better now he's in a four", he's just the same as he always was, poor.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #464 on: February 07, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »
For what it is worth I thought we played well.  Harper, Tulloch, Field all with great performances, Bond again solid in goal.  Some strange substitutions I will grant you- Dawson (a sub already) for Hegazi?  However, I am pleased he used the youngsters, I enjoyed watching them, their effort was first class, and I think we would have one if it wasn't for a colossal cock up in defence to make it 1-1.  Sorry but given we still have hopes of automatic promotion, or approach to this match was spot on.  We may even have risked too much if Dawson is injured alongside HRK- who had a good game IMO.

I agree with all of this. The young blood looks promising. Substitution choices and timing however were what cost us the match. That and the fact that they should have been down to ten men.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #465 on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »
Disappointed to head out in the fashion that we did.

I thought the young lads acquitted themselves very well - Field and Harper looked knackered throughout extra time. The lad Tulloch looks a breath of fresh air and seemed a bit more developed than Leko. I thought Rogers struggled to get to grips with the game and missed a good opportunity.

I thought the first half was relatively even - the second half was OK going forwards but struggled defensively when we moved to the three at the back.

Some of the goals we gave away was poor - I will forgive the third as we were dead on our feet and it took a horrible deflection from Field who could not get out quick enough. The first goal I want to see again but the initial error was appalling.

I do not - and still do not - understand the substitutions - in particular if Rodriguez and Dawson was just being rested. Almost seemed like we were treating the match as a training excerise and was not bothered about progressing.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #466 on: February 07, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
Disappointed to head out in the fashion that we did.

I thought the young lads acquitted themselves very well - Field and Harper looked knackered throughout extra time. The lad Tulloch looks a breath of fresh air and seemed a bit more developed than Leko. I thought Rogers struggled to get to grips with the game and missed a good opportunity.

I thought the first half was relatively even - the second half was OK going forwards but struggled defensively when we moved to the three at the back.

Some of the goals we gave away was poor - I will forgive the third as we were dead on our feet and it took a horrible deflection from Field who could not get out quick enough. The first goal I want to see again but the initial error was appalling.

I do not - and still do not - understand the substitutions - in particular if Rodriguez and Dawson was just being rested. Almost seemed like we were treating the match as a training excerise and was not bothered about progressing.

I don't know what our plan was last night at all, none of it makes any sense from the original team selection, to substitutions, to change of shape to taking off a player we had brought on. It just looks a mess. It's absolutely obvious that despite what Darren Moore says we really didn't care less whether we went through or nor not. Even so it was still strange, no Leko, no Edwards .....??????

At least Field and Harper both looked comfortable on the same stage as Premier League opponents, that's a positive. Tulloch and Rogers it was clear to see are nowhere near that level yet but the experience will do them good.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #467 on: February 07, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
I've been going regularly since 2001 and I have never seen one that low. Bit ironic I think when we see people moaning about not getting a Villa ticket

7,328 against Swansea in the League Cup in 2000.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #468 on: February 07, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »

I don't know what our plan was last night at all, none of it makes any sense from the original team selection, to substitutions, to change of shape to taking off a player we had brought on. It just looks a mess. It's absolutely obvious that despite what Darren Moore says we really didn't care less whether we went through or nor not. Even so it was still strange, no Leko, no Edwards .....??????

At least Field and Harper both looked comfortable on the same stage as Premier League opponents, that's a positive. Tulloch and Rogers it was clear to see are nowhere near that level yet but the experience will do them good.

I thought the other big problem was the lack of pace in the forward areas - Hoolahan, HRK, Rodriguez, Field and Harper are far too static.

Often easy to defend against because not one of them is capable of picking up possession and carry the ball 20/30 yards.

A lot of our play was neat possession with no penetration. Having an Edwards or a Leko might have given us the option to play in behind. Or at least have someone run at their full backs!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #469 on: February 07, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »
Question is have we ever had a lower gate for an FA Cup tie?

To think the FA Cup used to be at least as big as the league and a massive occasion with huge expectation and often bigger crowds than league games.

R.I.P. FA Cup. Such a bloody shame.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #470 on: February 07, 2019, 12:53:01 PM »
I really liked the look of Tulloch, would be happy to have him as an option off the bench if needed.

Does he usually play on the wing for the under 23s or is he more central?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #471 on: February 07, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
I thought the other big problem was the lack of pace in the forward areas - Hoolahan, HRK, Rodriguez, Field and Harper are far too static.

Often easy to defend against because not one of them is capable of picking up possession and carry the ball 20/30 yards.

A lot of our play was neat possession with no penetration. Having an Edwards or a Leko might have given us the option to play in behind. Or at least have someone run at their full backs!

Hoolahan is neat and tidy but he doesn't hurt the opposition. He's not going to bully anyone, he's got no legs to get away from anyone. Playing him in the number nine role, false or otherwise is a waste of time. HRK isn't a goalscorer of any note. All night last night I was thinking where the hell is a goal going to come from? Pretty play at times, yes, but not hurting Brighton at all. Same in the Caribao Cup ties. Without Rodriguez, Gayle and Barnes we seriously struggle in forward areas.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #472 on: February 07, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
I've just seen the footage of the goals

How Dawson is getting criticised for their equaliser is beyond me - god only knows what Kyle Bartley is playing at. Ridiculous first touch.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #473 on: February 07, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
Bitter defeat to take

1. We have some really promising kids, a real advert for them on National TV
2. Bartley is horrendous
3. Brighton should have been down to 10 men and over 90 minutes that would have taken its toll
4. I wish HRK could hit a football consistently as he has excellent work rate
5. Wrong subs made but I don't totally blame DM for the loss, the ref played their part (I think there is a bit of an agenda with some Albion fans to just dislike whatever Moore does. Even if they don't know it)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: February 07, 2019, 01:52:44 PM »
I really liked the look of Tulloch, would be happy to have him as an option off the bench if needed.

Does he usually play on the wing for the under 23s or is he more central?
Me too,looks more of a goal threat than Leko.