Author Topic: 21 Nov 2020 Manchester United 1 Albion 0  (Read 43932 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #400 on: November 22, 2020, 03:18:07 PM »
Touch and go for me on our penalty, think we could have got it. Should have been a foul before Utd got theirs. But not really surprised the money men are not interested in 'little' clubs like us.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »
Well they haven't mentioned it on 5 live but based on what I have read ex Man Utd players are saying it was a soft penalty and that we should have had a Penalty and either Fernandez or Maguire sent off at least so far West Ham and Sheffield United was a good game to take my mind of VAR. But Talking about how we played we desevered a draw possibly a win I had a feeling we could have Scored based on the Commentary United were on the ropes we were close to breaking through then everything happened and we just sort of gave up but still gave it a go. Good Performance in controversial circumstances at least if we go down they will be fighting for Billic
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: November 22, 2020, 04:18:03 PM »
Technically speaking the goalkeeper cannot stand behind the goal line by choice as he would be leaving the technical area of play without permission. He would then need the permission of the referee to re enter play. We see the same time and again when players leave the technical area of play when injured. An act of momentum in open play is different.
How does that apply to throw ins then?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #403 on: November 22, 2020, 05:39:07 PM »
How does that apply to throw ins then?

Your feet stay off the pitch when you take a throw in. If you step onto the pitch in  the action of taking a throw in it becomes a foul throw. Throw ins, like corners, are a consequence of on field play. Therefore you 'have' to leave the pitch in order for them to be taken and don't require permission to re enter the field of play as you would when returning from treatment. Goalkeepers do not 'have' to leave the pitch to face a penalty.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2020, 07:06:35 PM »
Then I suggest you rewatch the game and concentrate only on Sawyers.

He has no desire whatsoever, he simply stops when he loses possession.
He's got to be the laziest player ever in an Albion shirt. can be a nice passer of the ball but when it comes to tackling, forget it except when the opposition player  is past him, he'll then take the guys legs. Gallagher shows him up.

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #405 on: November 22, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »
Watch the ref go to the monitor again. He doesn’t even wait for the best angle. He’s already walking away when it gets to it.
I thought that as well. A disgrace.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #406 on: November 22, 2020, 07:47:17 PM »
Was so angry yesterday. However after sleeping on it and in the cold light of day, in the interest of trying to give it a balanced and fair and objective consideration I Have come to the following conclusions: 

The farcical events ensuing from our penalty, would never happen in any other game. For instance, in cricket parlance where video evidence and off field officials have been in use for some time, our penalty could be compared to the umpire giving a batsman out lbw. The batting team then request referring it to the third umpire who checks the video evidence, finds it inconclusive and refers it back as 'umpires decision'. And here is the difference - The on field umpire then changes his decision in favour of the batting side. It is totally out of order and the only way anything similar could even be thought of is if the batting team were called Manchester United, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool or Everton et al.

It is one of the many ****** decisions by a ****** set of officials in the shittiest most corrupt league that has ever existed in sport. Everybody knows it, Everybody sees it, but it is still allowed to happen on a weekly basis. Why is there not a single media outlet with the cojones to call it into question, investigate properly and name names and their respective positions in their respective organisations. Who is actually paying the piper to play their tunes? We might think we know, but I suspect it goes far deeper and has been in operation in different guises over many years in 'the peoples game' It has not been the peoples game even before tv rights. The game has for a long time belonged to a certain few clubs and their associates who usually benefit from any changes, and for whom the laws of the game and even the land have little relevance.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:14:14 AM by Hull Baggie »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2020, 09:33:26 PM »
He's got to be the laziest player ever in an Albion shirt.........

Throw away comments like this really fry my brain. I'm disgusted on behalf of Fabian de Freitas. Besides his debut and failure to even get out of bed for the 1-5 versus Crewe, being the laziest Albion player ever was his only real claim to fame in our colours. And now you assert that he doesn't even have that. Some people just have no respect for our former players. Hang your head in shame sir.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2020, 10:50:10 PM »
I thought that as well. A disgrace.
word in your ear sir !?
Albion Family !!!

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2020, 11:10:59 PM »
 >:( Tim Sherwood said we wont win 11 games to stay up. Slav should post this on the dressing room wall. I am sure this would motivate the players.

On another note Gallagher is bound for the top in the game he is a "human dynamo". Periera and Grady are performing at 60% and need a kick up the backside.

Also Krov should be playing every game.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #410 on: November 23, 2020, 06:17:54 AM »
>:( Tim Sherwood said we wont win 11 games to stay up. Slav should post this on the dressing room wall. I am sure this would motivate the players.

On another note Gallagher is bound for the top in the game he is a "human dynamo". Periera and Grady are performing at 60% and need a kick up the backside.

Also Krov should be playing every game.

First time I've ever agreed with anything Sherwood has had to say.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #411 on: November 23, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »
Always wondered why I don't watch match of the day, analyse after game a joke.

if you don't watch MOTD how do you know the analysis was a joke?

Both Wright and Shearer agreed that the Man Utd pen shouldn't have been given. Wright seemed to think we should have had a penalty, Lineker made a comment that it's hard for refs when players go down easily (which Gallagher did). Wright also said that it was unfair to punish goalkeeepers when players jump before they take the penalty. Seems to me they were agreeing with a lot of what has been said on here.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: November 23, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »
if you don't watch MOTD how do you know the analysis was a joke?

Both Wright and Shearer agreed that the Man Utd pen shouldn't have been given. Wright seemed to think we should have had a penalty, Lineker made a comment that it's hard for refs when players go down easily (which Gallagher did). Wright also said that it was unfair to punish goalkeeepers when players jump before they take the penalty. Seems to me they were agreeing with a lot of what has been said on here.
Sorry but that wasn't the case - for the Man U pen they said with the rules as they are then it's a penalty. They did not mention once the foul on Gallagher in the lead-up.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #413 on: November 23, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »
Sorry but that wasn't the case - for the Man U pen they said with the rules as they are then it's a penalty. They did not mention once the foul on Gallagher in the lead-up.

Shearer says "under the law then yeah it's a pen but we don't like the law he's (Furlong) not even looking at the ball" Wright agrees and adds "he's turned his back". So they both think it's wrong to give a penalty.
 They are right though that under the rules it's a pen. So the analysis was hardly a joke as said by the original poster.

Lineker and Wright (in particular) also say that it's hard for keeper at penalties as players do jump before they kick it. Wright also says that players should be banned from jumping if keepers are going to be penalised for diving forward.

Agreed that they didn't mention the foul on Gallagher but then the game which is on last never gets much detailed analysis.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #414 on: November 23, 2020, 10:09:08 AM »
It's an interesting one that Johnstone clearly had studied Fernandes' technique for pens, because you see his step forward is actually to one side, so Fernandes then strokes the ball the other way, but Johnstone has enough to get back over.

If he'd have stayed on his line a little longer (hard to time, I grant you), he might have got away with it. I think the Scotland keeper in their penalty shootout basically had to checked with the referee that his save to win the match was legitimate, which takes something away from the celebration itself.

He/him

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #415 on: November 23, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »
It's an interesting one that Johnstone clearly had studied Fernandes' technique for pens, because you see his step forward is actually to one side, so Fernandes then strokes the ball the other way, but Johnstone has enough to get back over.

If he'd have stayed on his line a little longer (hard to time, I grant you), he might have got away with it. I think the Scotland keeper in their penalty shootout basically had to checked with the referee that his save to win the match was legitimate, which takes something away from the celebration itself.

yeah I mentioned that when I was discussing the Johnstone save with my mom. 

I think Johnstone would have got away with it if he had stayed on his line for another second or so, but as you rightly say it would be hard to time that.

boingusmaximus

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #416 on: November 23, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
I think the penalty against us is a poor decision, but modern rules seem to back it up. Gallagher does do a lot of diving when tackling and being tackled, so am a bit 50/50 on that one. Johnston unlucky after a good save, but the rules are quite clear on that aspect and so no real arguments. Just a build up of decisions that all went against us that makes it hard to take.
Main worry is one goal in five games, which cannot be blamed on anyone else but us.
I like Gallagher, by the way, shows the energy level that one or two of our other midfielders lack.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #417 on: November 23, 2020, 01:24:59 PM »
We do seem to be tightening up the back end (oo-err missus) in no small part due to SJ. Its going to be the case that this will cause issues further forward, which (in my view) is exacerbated by playing Periera wide and remote from Diangana, fix that and we will become a better team all around in my opinion.

we need to play a sort of Diamond

Back 4

Sawyers   Gallagher

Krov

Periera              Diangana

Grant

I accept its lightweight and asks an awful lot of Gallagher, but the options are limited.

Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: November 23, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »
First time I've ever agreed with anything Sherwood has had to say.

All I hear from Sherbet is white noise.......
MAGA!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #419 on: November 23, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »
All I hear from Sherbet is white noise.......
why listen to that failed coach?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #420 on: November 23, 2020, 03:30:03 PM »
Shearer says "under the law then yeah it's a pen but we don't like the law he's (Furlong) not even looking at the ball" Wright agrees and adds "he's turned his back". So they both think it's wrong to give a penalty.
 They are right though that under the rules it's a pen. So the analysis was hardly a joke as said by the original poster.

Lineker and Wright (in particular) also say that it's hard for keeper at penalties as players do jump before they kick it. Wright also says that players should be banned from jumping if keepers are going to be penalised for diving forward.

Agreed that they didn't mention the foul on Gallagher but then the game which is on last never gets much detailed analysis.
I agree with the Jumps and had it mentioned before on 5 live with different pundits even a Wolves Fan agreed with me today about VAR of course he didn't watch the Game but I told him what happened and he was like how is that handball. Even when I played at School if someone turned to block the shot and hit your arm we carried on I once said it Hit my hand and the other kid who was Playing against me just said yeah but on accident. Comes to something when Kids know the rules or have better rules than the FA
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #421 on: November 23, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
3 Questions:

1) Against any team not just us, would Man U have been given the penalty we were refused.?

2) Against any team not just us, Would Man U Have been penalised for the 'hand ball'?

3) Against any team not just us, Had the Man U goalkeeper saved a penalty in exactly the same way,   would their opponents been given another go?

Answers:
1) Yes absolutely no doubt- and all the old retired referees and other pundits would all have agreed, without making excuses for this appalling cheat of a ref.

2) No. Of course it wouldn't there would be a load of 'valid' excuses trotted out to defend the 'accident'

3) No.The VAR wastes of space would have to look at it, but would have found some reason within the run up to deem it a legal save.

Still it was only against West Brom so it doesn't matter that much does it?

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #422 on: November 23, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »
Throw away comments like this really fry my brain. I'm disgusted on behalf of Fabian de Freitas. Besides his debut and failure to even get out of bed for the 1-5 versus Crewe, being the laziest Albion player ever was his only real claim to fame in our colours. And now you assert that he doesn't even have that. Some people just have no respect for our former players. Hang your head in shame sir.
My sincere apologies to Fabian. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time but possibly by the end of the season, his title will have been taken away from him!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #423 on: November 23, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
I don't think it helps that the ref had been taken off VAR duties not long ago - so was probably worried about making a big decision against a big side.