Author Topic: Owners, chairman and all the top brass  (Read 13023 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Owners, chairman and all the top brass
« on: April 15, 2018, 06:52:26 PM »
Should apologise for accepting our relegation in February..

That car crash against Southampton at home should have meant the end for Pardew and his disastrous reign yet they allowed him to continue his limp towards relegation

That performance today leaves a sour taste in the mouth - just what if we had the change sooner...

We may still have been relegated, but at least we'd have put up a fight and that is what I find so hard to take.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Owners, chairman and all the top brass
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »
After the shock and euphoria of the win today started to subside, it did really hit me just how foolish we were not to sack Pardew sooner. It was clear a long time ago that Pardew was a deadman walking. Had we made the move sooner, we may well still have been in the mix to survive.

Hopefully this is a lesson for the club about proactiveness in our future decision making.
Boing Boing

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
Should apologise for accepting our relegation in February..

That car crash against Southampton at home should have meant the end for Pardew and his disastrous reign yet they allowed him to continue his limp towards relegation

That performance today leaves a sour taste in the mouth - just what if we had the change sooner...

We may still have been relegated, but at least we'd have put up a fight and that is what I find so hard to take.

Correct we had one roll of the dice left and we didn't use it. Even a few games after Southampton we had a whole run of kinder fixtures in which a capable manager could have yielded the points we needed
O Albion we love you

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
It's no point to keep him after lost to Southampton and Huddersfield.
I havd said that Pardew should be sacked and replaced by Big Dave at that time (February or March) and we can still have a glimpse of hope, but the board did that in April.
The board are too early to surrender.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:46:59 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »
Whilst there may be some validity to this argument, I do worry that once you start sacking 2 managers so quickly in 1 season you are going down a slippery slope.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »
Whilst there may be some validity to this argument, I do worry that once you start sacking 2 managers so quickly in 1 season you are going down a slippery slope.

I agree - its a slippery slope and not something I would encourage

But our inability to act has now pushed us down a bigger slippery slope

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
Small minded and no vision. The club trotted out the line “we couldn’t find someone to take over from Pardew and Darren Moore lacks experience”. That’s why they kept Pardew. I said multiple times, how could Moore do worse? At least give him a chance...4 points in 2 games. This squad could have kept us up with a manager with any semblance of ability. Instead with persisted with Pardew...

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 09:32:44 PM »
Pardew should have gone after the Southampton cup game, we had one last throw of the dice with the Huddersfield game. It needed someone to try something different and get a reaction, win that game and you never know.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
Pardew should have gone after the Southampton cup game, we had one last throw of the dice with the Huddersfield game. It needed someone to try something different and get a reaction, win that game and you never know.

He should have gone the week before

Give Big Dave the cup game and then tried to identify someone for the Huddersfield game

We surrendered all hope and then made the change when we were sunk.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »
In real terms Pardew should never have been here in the first place. He was an accident waiting to happen and probably got the job via his mate. No-one else seemed over keen to employ him.

So yes those in power can take the blame completely for sacking Pulis, although justifiable, without a plan in place. The writing about this shambles was on the wall since last March when it all went to pieces. Pulis should have gone in the summer and a decent manager appointed. Someone along the lines of Big Dave who clearly has the club at heart and should be retained.

Hopefully they don't make the same mistakes yet again. Once is unlucky, twice careless and three times is suicidal.

Message to those of you at the top:- " Get someone in who cares, someone who wants to play attractive football, someone who tries to win and someone who will regenerate this fine football club --PLEASE"

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
After the shock and euphoria of the win today started to subside, it did really hit me just how foolish we were not to sack Pardew sooner. It was clear a long time ago that Pardew was a deadman walking. Had we made the move sooner, we may well still have been in the mix to survive.

Hopefully this is a lesson for the club about proactiveness in our future decision making.

Smacks of small time.
Pardew wouldn't leave without a pay-out (as if he needs it), and we wouldn't sack him because we didn't want to fork out compensation (as if we haven't got it).
I think when the 'clever people' in the hierarchy look at what the should have paid out in compensation and what they will loose from income by not doing so, there might be a few more heads on the block.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
there might be a few more heads on the block.
I don't think there are many more 'heads' left worthy of putting on the block?

Most of the idjuts have been binned allready
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
New Chairman confirmed as Li Piyue.
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/may/club-statement-albion-confirm-new-chairman/

No free scarves or pints next season - just a Chinese takeaway :D

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
See that Jenkins has stepped down. I hope he will still have an important voice in the organisation. With due respects to the Chinese, they can't know alot about the culture of the club, and it's important someone such as Jenkins is retained as 'sounding board' at least.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 05:34:49 PM »
See that Jenkins has stepped down. I hope he will still have an important voice in the organisation. With due respects to the Chinese, they can't know alot about the culture of the club, and it's important someone such as Jenkins is retained as 'sounding board' at least.
Agree, I hope this new bloke has run a football club before. As bad as Williams was, he at least had experience. You wouldn't employ a restaurant manager who had never worked in the food industry for example.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 06:01:07 PM »
See that Jenkins has stepped down. I hope he will still have an important voice in the organisation.
As far as I can tell, he's still Chief Executive. He's stepped down as a director of the parent company (West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd), but is still on the board of West Bromwich Albion Group Ltd, which I believe is the one involved with the day to say running of the club.

As for Li Piyue, I hope he can speak English and has a public face. We never saw much of Williams, so another faceless figure would be undesirable IMO.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »
Jenkins has only stepped down from the board of the holding company. He’s still Chief Executive of the football club.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

WBASweden

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
As far as I can tell, he's still Chief Executive. He's stepped down as a director of the parent company (West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd), but is still on the board of West Bromwich Albion Group Ltd, which I believe is the one involved with the day to say running of the club.

As for Li Piyue, I hope he can speak English and has a public face. We never saw much of Williams, so another faceless figure would be undesirable IMO.

Think he can speak english. Apparently he operates mostly in Sweden

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
Can anyone provide any insight into this little interaction from Twitter... i.e. the financial questions that Christ Lepkowski asks?

Matt Wilson
‏Verified account @mattwilson_star

Breaking - Albion confirm that Chinese director Li Piyue has been made chairman. Chinese owners strengthening their ties with #wba, although chief exec Mark Jenkins will still take a lead role on the board
6:59 AM - 22 May 2018

Chris Lepkowski
‏ @chrislepkowski
4h4 hours ago
Replying to @mattwilson_star

Any clarity on the £24m dividend that was paid between accounts and the £7.1m in Holdings that's owed to FC?

Matt Wilson
‏Verified account @mattwilson_star
4h4 hours ago

not as yet

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »
IMO a business is a business and the Chairman or other board members need not have relevant experience in football. The only way the board get experience is by being appointed, it’s not a trade as such.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:45:45 PM by BB74 »

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »
Chris Lepkowski is coming across as a bitter ex-employee here. Why couldn’t he have sent that message directly to Matt Wilson? It’s like he is deliberately trying to put a downer on things.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
Interesting looking at the experience of the Board Members. https://www.wba.co.uk/club/board-of-directors/
I think you need a good mix of business acumen, legal, admin/organisational skills, and last, but by no means least, football knowledge. Even though Terraneo is employed as a consultant, I assume he will have close contact with the Board, in order to provide the football input, although his experience is in other leagues.
If you look at examples from around Europe, it is obvious that many of the top clubs have real football experience at board or director level. (The example I always give is Hoeness and Rumminigge at Bayern Munich).
I'm sure the Chinese have important skills to offer, but they must be backed up well by people with real football knowledge and of the English game. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 01:36:44 AM »

Believe me, you didn't miss much  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
I'm no Lepkowski fan, always found him very obnoxious and snooty, but nothing wrong with him asking a legitimate question about money. I was unaware of such a huge payment going to the directors. Why have the local media not made a bigger fuss of this or even covered it?

I personally have no faith in our board and they will ultimately have to prove me wrong. Lai, Li Piyue and Ken don't have any experience of football and as far as we can tell, won't have had much interest in the game either growing up in China and instead see this as business rather than a labour of love. Their early decisions have all been awful, so they need to learn fast.

Terraneo also leaves me feeling uneasy. A bloke who had experience in the 90's with 2 of the richest clubs in the world at that time, and then doesn't reappaear until 2016 with Fenerbache where by all accounts he did an awful job and was sacked after about 6 months. There is some talk of him having been a "consultant " at different clubs, but no particular proof that i've seen make it into the public, I worry he has been given the role because hebhas sweet talkrd the owners with their limited knowledge of football.

I could end up being wrong, but that's no reason not to be honest on here. The talk by Jenkins that "there arent many football directors out there" is nonsense. There are loads of them on continent, with Germany and Italy having courses to train them. If you use your imagination, you could promote a top scout, or an academy director to the role as well, and they don't have to come from England.

Our board just arent forward thinking enough or imaginative. And that is my worry for the future.

Boing Boing