Author Topic: Alan Pardew  (Read 643023 times)

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Pardew
« Reply #1475 on: February 20, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »
The structure is still there, it was Hammond who recommended Dan Ashworth to JP.

There's nothing much wrong with the structure we have, IMO the big problem we have been left with at the moment, is JW giving TP too much power.
There is always a risk in buying players, some come off, some don't, this season's crop haven't. The problem is, we've spent all of our money on high cost, allegedly safe bets who have been anything but. In hindsight, we may have been better off taking a risk on a few unknowns
I would imagine that there is enormous pressure on the management team to deliver for the new owners, I'm not sure DA had that same pressure.
Overall this season we've had some rotton luck with injuries, perhaps a balance from last season when we had some good luck, but if you put all your eggs in one basket, & you drop it.........................................

Well, the DoF structure was brought back in following Pulis' appointment (with Hammond coming in) but I wouldn't say the structure around it is the same.

Apparently, Ashworth had scouts reporting directly to him (Olsson, Mulumbu, Yacob, Odemwingie were all found this way I think). The club tended to have coaches who remained regardless of head coach (Downing and Kiely) which meant continuity with training and during times of change. I understand this ended with Pulis.

The very system which kept us stable until Pulis has been replaced by a model at most other lower premier teams such as Villa, Sunderland, West Ham, Newcastle etc...etc... who have a DoF for transfer / contract dealings rather than a strategic position as Ashworth's was. We're now getting similar results to those clubs funnily enough (yo yo).

At the end of the day, football, business, the World moves on and it seems we retired into a predictable routine and have now reaped what we've sown. We really need some energy at the top to filter down to put this right?

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1476 on: February 20, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
Got to say i feel a little sorry for AP. The football has been better and more chances created but if you dont score you cant win games. Should not have played Evans or Barry Saturday and that has no doubt angered Mr Lai.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1477 on: February 20, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »

I get what you're saying but playing devils advocate it would give the new manager a bit of time to assess his squad ahead of next season.

I think this would be my argument. I don't see anybody keeping us up and I don't see Pardew as the right man for us in the championship, therefore get someone else in to give them time to settle it and end this dour chapter.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1478 on: February 20, 2018, 06:51:04 PM »
He's still here then. I have an inkling he'll be gone before the weekend.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1479 on: February 20, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
wouldn't be too surprising if he jumped before he was pushed, he must be financially safe and he would retain a shred more dignity that way

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1480 on: February 20, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
I have no idea on how long Pardew has got but you would assume if they are to replace him at this stage they will need to have someone to come in straight away. Maybe they want him out but no-one will come at this late stage...

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1481 on: February 20, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »
He's still here then. I have an inkling he'll be gone before the weekend.

It'd have to be tomorrow with a ready made replacement, give them 2 days before the 'uddersfield game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1482 on: February 20, 2018, 11:40:04 PM »
I was hopeful with AP because his approach would create more scoring opportunities, but it's painfully how similar the results have been in league play:

Tony got us 27.78% of the points we played for under him. Alan has gotten us 20.5%.

Tony's squad scored at 0.75 goals/game. Alan's squad is scoring at 0.69/game.

Tony's squad gave up 1.42 goals/game. Alan's squad has given up 1.46/game.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1483 on: February 21, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »
I was hopeful with AP because his approach would create more scoring opportunities, but it's painfully how similar the results have been in league play:

Tony got us 27.78% of the points we played for under him. Alan has gotten us 20.5%.

Tony's squad scored at 0.75 goals/game. Alan's squad is scoring at 0.69/game.

Tony's squad gave up 1.42 goals/game. Alan's squad has given up 1.46/game.

When life gives you lemons...

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1484 on: February 21, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »
Really don't get the love in with Dan Ashworth.

Dan was Technical Director from December 2007 to September 2102. In that time we had two seasons in the Premier league 2002/3 when we finished 19th & 2008/9 when we finished bottom. For the remainder of his tenure we were in the Championship.
Since Dan left, we have spent 7 consecutive years in the Premier League.

IMO Dan's strength was in the development of the Academy, & it was that work which won him the job of Director of Elite Development for the FA.

As far as I am aware, Dan did have an overall responsibility for recruitment, but I don't believe he was involved in the detail that he is being credited with.

One of the most popular chants nowadays is "xxxx is one of own, he's one of our own...." fans love youth development, we want to see kids develop into successful players, Dan Ashworth presided over that and also was also head of the team that got in players like Mulumbu, high energy and combative again what the fans want to see.
DA was headhunted by the FA for a national role which he has held now for 5? years, clearly he is a talented and respected person, add to that 'he's one of our own... and it seems pretty clear why most baggies hold in high esteem.  You old cynic  ;D
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1485 on: February 21, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »
Really don't get the love in with Dan Ashworth.

Dan was Technical Director from December 2007 to September 2102. In that time we had two seasons in the Premier league 2002/3 when we finished 19th & 2008/9 when we finished bottom. For the remainder of his tenure we were in the Championship.
Since Dan left, we have spent 7 consecutive years in the Premier League.

IMO Dan's strength was in the development of the Academy, & it was that work which won him the job of Director of Elite Development for the FA.

As far as I am aware, Dan did have an overall responsibility for recruitment, but I don't believe he was involved in the detail that he is being credited with.

Under Ashworth, we at least had a long term vision and cohesive approach, that was designed for long term improvement. Some of his work on the academy side of things is only just coming to fruition, as the caliber of graduate looks to be improving.

The guy who was in after him basically decided 'I know better' and signed players Ashworth wouldn't have - Anelka, Lugano- and basically since then we have been working season-to-season with a short term view.

It remains to be seen if Hammond has the answer going forward, but from what I've seen it seems the players he wanted and the players Pulis wanted weren't the same, and so we've ended up with an imbalanced squad where neither's vision has been fully realised (for instance I'd say Barry was a Pulis target, where probably Krychowiak was a Hammond one).

If Hammond has a long term plan and vision as Ashworth did, we'll be much better in the future - whether that's with Pardew or without. If he and Hammond can work as well together with that in mind, then that can only be for the benefit of the club.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1486 on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:23 PM »
......(for instance I'd say Barry was a Pulis target, where probably Krychowiak was a Hammond one).

The following extract from the article linked below contests your suggestion regarding Krychowiak, remembered it from the time.

Tony Pulis:

….“I actually liked Grzegorz two years ago and I spoke to Steven N'Zonzi about him when he was at Sevilla," revealed Pulis. "Then he went off to Paris (Saint Germain), who blew us out of the water.
“I've just kept tabs on him since. I realised he wasn't playing for PSG on a regular basis and they tend to fall off the screen, and he did that, which was great for us, because we could then follow up on it."……

……“I spoke to the agent on two or three occasions over the past 14 or 15 months and luckily he had the foresight to give me a ring when he knew that they were keen to get him out on loan to see if we were interested," explained the Welshman.
“That was when I got a phone call and that was when I thought we had half a chance of getting him.
“I was still very surprised we got him. He needs games to get himself fit. But he's a very good player."

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/09/14/tony-pulis-grzegorz-krychowiak-is-worth-the-wait/

It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1487 on: February 21, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Yes i know it's Facebook but there are claiming Evans has been given the Captaincy back.Any truth in this?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1488 on: February 21, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »
Yes i know it's Facebook but there are claiming Evans has been given the Captaincy back.Any truth in this?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/11261033/jonny-evans-to-be-restored-as-west-brom-captain

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1489 on: February 21, 2018, 08:24:19 PM »
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/11261033/jonny-evans-to-be-restored-as-west-brom-captain

Big if I know, on account if it being Sky, but if this turns out to be true, well, that’s pretty appalling.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:42:26 PM by Chipperfan »
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1490 on: February 21, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
Big if I know, on account if it being Sky, but if this turns out to be true, wel, that’s pretty appalling.

That, surely, must be the final nail in Pardew’s coffin. It is a joke decision which will make the club a laughing stock

RICH ONE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1491 on: February 21, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1492 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »
The following extract from the article linked below contests your suggestion regarding Krychowiak, remembered it from the time.

Yeah, cause he always told the truth.  :-X

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1493 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
Weak Mangement by Pardew not going to help his case to keep his job

If, and like I said, being Sky it’s a big “if”, if this turns out to be true, then Pardew appears so weak then he has to go.

However from what I’ve seen I like the bloke, so I have to hope it’s untrue.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1494 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:55 PM »
Yeah, cause he always told the truth.  :-X

Give it a rest man he's gone.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1495 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »
Give it a rest man he's gone.
are you sure? his name pops up a lot for someone who isn't here anymore.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1496 on: February 21, 2018, 10:01:17 PM »
One of the most popular chants nowadays is "xxxx is one of own, he's one of our own...." fans love youth development, we want to see kids develop into successful players, Dan Ashworth presided over that and also was also head of the team that got in players like Mulumbu, high energy and combative again what the fans want to see.
DA was headhunted by the FA for a national role which he has held now for 5? years, clearly he is a talented and respected person, add to that 'he's one of our own... and it seems pretty clear why most baggies hold in high esteem.  You old cynic  ;D
And how many of our youngsters have made an impact in the Premier league ??
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1497 on: February 22, 2018, 06:24:16 AM »
Giving Evans the captaincy back pretty much seals Pardew's fate in my eyes. It is as weak as water and almost guarantees another incident of indiscipline further down the line, in the unlikely event that results across the next 11 games doesn't see him off the next one of these incidents will.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1498 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
Saw on twitter that he still have two more games to save his job.
But I think it would be too late if we lose two more games, at that time relegation is inevitable even we hire Guardiola.
The PRIDE of midlands

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1499 on: February 22, 2018, 09:05:40 AM »
It's a strange one re Pardew playing both Evans and Barry last week. I suppose it was a calculated gamble on his part - win and everyone says it was right, lose and you're slaughtered. From the outside, we look a bit of a mess and lacking in leadership from the top down really. Hopefully this is just perception? To state the completely bleedin obvious - the only way to turn it around for Pardew is to win games starting Saturday. Good managers who have the player's support just find a way...................