Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5165128 times)

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #18600 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
Yep I imagine the goal posts may move despite many saying the second he's sacked they'll be back.

As an aside I do feel for whoever does take over, they're going to be expected to turn the team around totally and play attacking, flair-type football. As much as Pulis may have shackled us a bit, I don't think it'll be a case of a new manager coming in and radically changing everything. If we're honest we've played this way for years
Shackled us a bit!!? That's the understatement of the year!

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18601 on: November 20, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »
If you post on a public discussion forum, you can't pick and choose who replies to you.
You obviously don't know the history, he can reply just don't insert my posts!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18602 on: November 20, 2017, 07:37:55 PM »
Shackled us a bit!!? That's the understatement of the year!

Still don't think we'll be seeing us knocking it around and taking the game to opponents for a good while

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #18603 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »
You obviously don't know the history, he can reply just don't insert my posts!

And we don't need to know anymore..

Back to Tony Pulis folks
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #18604 on: November 20, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »
Still don't think we'll be seeing us knocking it around and taking the game to opponents for a good while

and with the squad we have we shouldn't be...

BUT not living off less than 40% possession will be a massive improvement :)
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18605 on: November 20, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »
My last post on this thread. Its a wonderful feeling.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18606 on: November 20, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
Despite twice breaking the club's transfer record and recruiting the five most expensive purchases in their history, Pulis leaves West Brom in the same position they were in when he took over in January 2015 - one point above the relegation zone.

Said previously Pulis on the whole did a good job here in my opinion. Took us backwards in terms of style but kept us ultimately. However the piece in bold above, from Skysports, just sums it up for me. Stagnated after his transfers suggested a change. Didn't materialise and he paid the price.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18607 on: November 20, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
Despite twice breaking the club's transfer record and recruiting the five most expensive purchases in their history, Pulis leaves West Brom in the same position they were in when he took over in January 2015 - one point above the relegation zone.

Said previously Pulis on the whole did a good job here in my opinion. Took us backwards in terms of style but kept us ultimately. However the piece in bold above, from Skysports, just sums it up for me. Stagnated after his transfers suggested a change. Didn't materialise and he paid the price.

I agree with this. At the moment a lot of our fans are very angry towards him but looking at his time here before this season, he did quite well. Obviously when you include this season however, his reputation takes a dive - and rightly so.

I find it quite ironic as well, that part of his downfall was that he failed to properly integrate the new signings which is what helped Irvine get the sack. Not only this, but Irvine refused to play Yacob who was our best central midfielder at the time. It was bizarre but he paid the price. Now history has repeated itself, Pulis once relied heavily on Yacob and got a lot back in return; since dropping him this season we've struggled massively.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18608 on: November 20, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »

Bit in bold - thing is whoever was manager during this period would have done that, it's the nature of where the transfer fees have gone now, nothing to do with him personally as a manager. Agree we've stagnated though

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #18609 on: November 20, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
Bit in bold - thing is whoever was manager during this period would have done that, it's the nature of where the transfer fees have gone now, nothing to do with him personally as a manager. Agree we've stagnated though
Absolutely, any other team in the prem in those 3 years has done the same...there are probably 20 teams in the prem including promoted sides who've made the 5 most expensive purchases in their history (not sure about Chelsea because of Torres and Liverpool because of Carroll but that's a different ball park)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18610 on: November 20, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »
I agree with this. At the moment a lot of our fans are very angry towards him but looking at his time here before this season, he did quite well. Obviously when you include this season however, his reputation takes a dive - and rightly so.

I find it quite ironic as well, that part of his downfall was that he failed to properly integrate the new signings which is what helped Irvine get the sack. Not only this, but Irvine refused to play Yacob who was our best central midfielder at the time. It was bizarre but he paid the price. Now history has repeated itself, Pulis once relied heavily on Yacob and got a lot back in return; since dropping him this season we've struggled massively.

Couldn't agree more about Yacob. If you're going to play that way he should be first on the team sheet. The current set up of Barry, Livermore and Krychowiak has badly affected the balance of the side. Dare I say that we might be missing Fletcher too? For all his limitations, he was a leader, which can make all the difference in tight games (i.e Stoke, Watford, Leicester).

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18611 on: November 20, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
I'm as pleased as anyone to see Pulis gone, but one thing puzzles me.You can't say he's just brought in typical Pulisbal players.  He bought in some very talented footballers, Chadli, Phillips, Krychiawok, Burke, Gibbs, but of those, he's only allowed Gibbs to play consistently his natural game in his normal position. 
So on the one hand, you could argue it was his intention that we played more flamboyant football, and it was the players fault that they weren't consistent. I actually think the problem was that they were the wrong players for his system. Much as I applauded the arrival of skilful players at the club, Pulis was never going to get the best of them, because of the way he plays.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18612 on: November 21, 2017, 01:29:34 AM »
I have to say, I’m very disappointed. Not with the sacking..that was inevitable. It’s just that I was so looking forward to coming on this site and seeing the heading,'Pulis Sacked'. I feel cheated somehow. ☺️
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18613 on: November 21, 2017, 03:21:15 AM »
Thanks for your efforts Tony, it wasn't all bad.

Yes, we had three eras under Pulis:

Bad football, good results
Good football, good results
Bad football, bad results

The first period stabilised us at a much needed time.  The second was all too brief but lovely whilst it lasted and the last cost him his job

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18614 on: November 21, 2017, 06:38:01 AM »
Yes, we had three eras under Pulis:

Bad football, good results
Good football, good results
Bad football, bad results

The first period stabilised us at a much needed time.  The second was all too brief but lovely whilst it lasted and the last cost him his job
The second era you state should read bad football good results

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18615 on: November 21, 2017, 07:24:32 AM »
Better football good results (it was a low benchmark but it was better?)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #18616 on: November 21, 2017, 07:43:35 AM »
You had my backing until Southampton away. Good luck, now let's move on boing boing!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18617 on: November 21, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
Alan Brazil just said he was sacked over the phone and did i hear correct overnight i tend to leave my radio on. 2 players in the dugout singing anti pulis songs on saturday
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18618 on: November 21, 2017, 07:59:46 AM »
Alan Brazil just said he was sacked over the phone and did i hear correct overnight i tend to leave my radio on. 2 players in the dugout singing anti pulis songs on saturday

Don’t know if it was over the phone, but he definitely got the news between 10-11am when h was at the ground

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18619 on: November 21, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
Dave Kemp on Brazil show now
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18620 on: November 21, 2017, 08:18:58 AM »

If that is indeed true (which i doubt) then whoever those 2 are should be fined! Not very professional is it??
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18621 on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
You had my backing until Southampton away. Good luck, now let's move on boing boing!!

Likewise, Saints was the no return point and it's got worse since. He was clueless as how to turn it around and even his famed defence looked more and more shakey.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18622 on: November 21, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »

The report originated in the Mirror, probably the journalist's.

Supposedly in the executive area as opposed to the dug out.

Would have thought photos/video would have emerged by now were it true which I do not expect it to be.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there's nothing to see here.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18623 on: November 21, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »
I can imagine for the players his training methods on a daily basis would have become extremely painful after three years of it. Only so long you can play as a statue on the training pitch if you aren't in the starting XI for that weekend without wanting to chuck the towel in and move elsewhere.

I do feel football would be a much better place without Tony in it any longer, domestically at least. He would suit the Welsh job as a number of the minnows line up as Pulis does in such a negative fashion so it would not seem out of place in qualifying campaigns. I would hate for him to take over another Premier League side purely because I would hate to have to watch us play against one of his sides again, had too many years of it while he was at Stoke before then being subjected to his brand of football on a weekly basis.

The pundits saying 'be careful what you wish for' clearly hadn't watched us for 90 minutes from the Leicester game onwards as it was clear the players had stopped putting in a shift for him and were gradually becoming worse as the weeks rumbled on. I do believe he would have taken us to the point of going down before resigning in March to ensure he did not have a relegation on his record.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18624 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »

No,  I'll stand by my initial comment.  The period around Christmas last year we played some good football at times and got good results too.   Sadly all too brief though...