Author Topic: Shane Long Completes Move to Hull City  (Read 509725 times)

fireymoosse

Re: Shane Long
« Reply #2525 on: January 16, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
Those who are saying our not meeting his £50k p/w wage demand (as stated in a few papers today) are penny pinching are playing a very fast and loose game with our finances. Luckily the guys running the shop are a bit more prudent.

Long's record means he should in absolutley no regard be given such a contract. If Hull are willing more fool them and good luck to Long.

he is not asking for circa £50k, lazy paper talk, whilst JP and MJ maybe running a tight wad ship, their record in coaches, aside from RH, is dubious at most, their reputation now lies in the new coach, if he fails, that sadly JP must take the can.

Just hope we have decent striker lined up for replacing Long, bet we don't spend anything like what we receive for Long, and once again that money will lie in the bank whilst the strength of squad suffers.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:20:10 PM by B_H_Baggie »

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2526 on: January 16, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »
If those are his demands then he won't agree terms with Hull and we'll lose home for a song in the summer.

They are rumours going around that they are going to pay Long and Jelevic that, I wont be taking much notice in them at this stage.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2527 on: January 16, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »
I'm glad he's gone and I wish him well.

Personally I didn't think we should have bought him in the first place, I said at the time that having one good season in the Championship doesn't make someone a Premier league goal scorer.

If you look at his career he only once scored more than 9 league goals and that was the season before we bought him when he got 23 for Reading which with hindsight is looking more and more like a freak occasion.

For me he didn't improve as a player in his time with us 8 league goals in each season and only really being consistent for 4 months per season.

The time was right for him to move on.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2528 on: January 16, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
He's been a fine player for us at times, he likes the club and the area, but he wants more money than we can offer.  Cheerio.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2529 on: January 16, 2014, 01:48:36 PM »
He's been a fine player for us at times, he likes the club and the area, but he wants more money than we can offer.  Cheerio.

Is that what this is all about?
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2530 on: January 16, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »
I got a  feeling that he's been 'eased' out.
First the transfer that fell through with Hull, then his contract not being increased ( I did hear , for what its worth, that he's currently on £20k and wants £35k) to what he wanted. If he wants to play hardball over contracts then he's looking down the barrel of a gun with JP.

Perhaps Clarke realised, if too late, and now Garlick that Shane is not going to give you the goals that you want to stay in this League, and have decided to sell at the first opportunity.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2531 on: January 16, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »
Perhaps Clarke realised, if too late, and now Garlick that Shane is not going to give you the goals that you want to stay in this League, and have decided to sell at the first opportunity.

Who will score those goals? We have lost a lot of goals from last season with Lukaku, Odemwingie and Long now going and I don't think we are close to replacing them. I believe we need to get better than Long and the time is right to cash in on him but what are we being left with?

Anichebe who is rarely fit and not got a great goalscoring record, Anelka who has struggled to score for us and could be facing a lengthy ban, Berahino who has stepped up but management have been reluctant to start every week and Vydra who appears to be a raw talent and hasn't been trusted to start games. I'm not forgetting Rosenberg but can you see him suddenly starting games and scoring vital goals for us because I certainly can't, I'm just hoping that he quickly follows Long through the door to free up some big wages to at least try and get another body in.

I personally think its clear we need to replace Long and I just can't see us doing it unfortunately. If this potential fee has shown us one thing its that this is not the month to do incoming business as it will cost you a real premium.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:05:11 PM by B_H_Baggie »

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2532 on: January 16, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »
Who will score those goals? We have lost a lot of goals from last season with Lukaku, Odemwingie and Long now going and I don't think we are close to replacing them. I believe we need to get better than Long and the time is right to cash in on him but what are we being left with?

Anichebe who is rarely fit and not got a great goalscoring record, Anelka who has struggled to score for us and could be facing a lengthy ban, Berahino who has stepped up but management have been reluctant to start every week and Vydra who appears to be a raw talent and hasn't been trusted to start games. I'm not forgetting Rosenberg but can you see him suddenly starting games and scoring vital goals for us because I certainly can't, I'm just hoping that he quickly follows Long through the door to free up some big wages to at least try and get another body in.

I personally think its clear we need to replace Long and I just can't see us doing it unfortunately. If this potential fee has shown us one thing its that this is not the month to do incoming business as it will cost you a real premium.

Loan with an option to buy in the summer can prevent silly prices now.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2533 on: January 16, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »
So all in all with Long leaving its a nail in the coffin unless we find someone who can score 8 goals
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2534 on: January 16, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »
From the BBC website today -

"Despite our best endeavours, Shane has declined to sign a new contract," said West Brom sporting director Richard Garlick.

"We began talking to Shane about a new contract last spring and, during the ongoing negotiations, we made two offers which would have significantly increased his salary."

cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2535 on: January 16, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »

Personally I didn't think we should have bought him in the first place, I said at the time that having one good season in the Championship doesn't make someone a Premier league goal scorer.

If you look at his career he only once scored more than 9 league goals and that was the season before we bought him when he got 23 for Reading which with hindsight is looking more and more like a freak occasion.

For me he didn't improve as a player in his time with us 8 league goals in each season and only really being consistent for 4 months per season.

I was going to write something similar. So I won't bother.

Wonderfully summed up, for me.
Thou shalt not maketh jokes. This used to be the best board, I'd ever been on.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2536 on: January 16, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »

If memory serves(not always the case these days)werent a fair few of those 23 penalties too??
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2537 on: January 16, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
he is not asking for circa £50k, lazy paper talk, whilst JP and MJ maybe running a tight wad ship, their record in coaches, aside from RH, is dubious at most, their reputation now lies in the new coach, if he fails, that sadly JP must take the can.

Just hope we have decent striker lined up for replacing Long, bet we don't spend anything like what we receive for Long, and once again that money will lie in the bank whilst the strength of squad suffers.

How on Earth do you know that? Simple answer, you don't, you're guessing and putting it forward as fact.

This "tight wad" ship is running at near full pace. We've no sugar Daddy behind us, yet the last three seasons have had us finish 11th, 10th and 8th and this year we're not doing so well and we're 14th....

Let me break it to you, Albion are not one of the top 14 clubs in England and Wales. Not in term of attendence, History or public perception. We've done amazingly these past four years and it's almost entirely down to JPs planning. Bigger clubs than ours are far far worse off and would long for half of what we've done under his stewardship.

This constant negative spin is draining. This place is exactly for debate and such, but it's just constant. you've never got anything good to say.

Oh and this "once again the money will be in the bank" is just bullsh*t, we paid off £8mill of debt last year and still had £500k overdraft at that point. If you're going to be so negative at least get your "facts" vaguely right!

Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

fireymoosse

« Reply #2538 on: January 16, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »
How on Earth do you know that? Simple answer, you don't, you're guessing and putting it forward as fact.

This "tight wad" ship is running at near full pace. We've no sugar Daddy behind us, yet the last three seasons have had us finish 11th, 10th and 8th and this year we're not doing so well and we're 14th....

Let me break it to you, Albion are not one of the top 14 clubs in England and Wales. Not in term of attendence, History or public perception. We've done amazingly these past four years and it's almost entirely down to JPs planning. Bigger clubs than ours are far far worse off and would long for half of what we've done under his stewardship.

This constant negative spin is draining. This place is exactly for debate and such, but it's just constant. you've never got anything good to say.

Oh and this "once again the money will be in the bank" is just bullsh*t, we paid off £8mill of debt last year and still had £500k overdraft at that point. If you're going to be so negative at least get your "facts" vaguely right!

Exactly and it is 'debate' perhaps if you read some other posts above they are agreeing with me.

No 'negative' spin, just stating them as they are.

And if you don't believe or want us to aspire to a top 14 club, then why are  you supporting us.

Onwards and upwards I say, however whilst I acknowledge JP and MJ do things their way, and it is ok in parts, that doesn't mean it has to be that way, it can and should IMO be done better.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2539 on: January 16, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
I think one thing we've learned from last year and the Odemwingie situation is that you can't take everything the club say as gospel. They may well have made him two offers, but for all we know, they might be ridiculous offers, we all know JP has a penchant for playing hardball with negotiations.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Long's but for 7 million, with only 18 months left on his contract, then I guess you have to take that money and run. I think some of the criticism he has received has been harsh, solely blaming him for the long ball game we seemed to resort to when he played being the obvious example. He clearly played a lot better when the team played decent football. In the opening few months of last season, he kept Lukaku out of the side on merit, in my opinion. He hasn't reached those levels since, but neither has most of the team.

I accept the argument he doesn't score enough goals, but need I remind you those 8 goals in each of his previous two seasons is more than Anichebe has ever managed to score in a Premier League season. I definitely think a replacement needs to be brought in. Anichebe is never fit, Anelka has flattered to deceive, Vydra and Berahino are raw and unproven, and Rosenberg is well Rosenberg. I just hope that if the money is spent, its invested more wisely than the 6 million we splurged on Vic.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2540 on: January 16, 2014, 04:13:06 PM »
If the move was for footballing ambition surely he wouldnt be going to HULL ????

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2541 on: January 16, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
Talking about him on talksport at the mo (yes i don't know why i put it on, oh yes i thought Mel's conference may be on) saying it's a big mistake, he works hard which OFTEN GOES UNNOTICED  :o ! Unbelievable, it's the only thing we did notice. I don't think they understand we need a striker that scores, or in Gough's language -"what scores!"

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2542 on: January 16, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
I honestly can't see why neutrals and the media are slagging us off for this?

He has 6 months left on his contract, someone has offered silly money, and he wants more in wages than his ability would demand.

If someone offered £7m for Bendtner nobody would question Arsenal selling him, and at 1 goal every 4.4 games to Shane's 4.2 games why are we crazy?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2543 on: January 16, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
Some albion fan has just phoned talksport and said that Longs played really well in the last few games that he has played   and he cant believe he is being sold.

The being sold thing is a opinion but Long has been shocking in the last few games

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2544 on: January 16, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »
We see him week in week out, the media and neutrals don't see him properly that often. In the very few times that People have seen Shane play 90 minutes luckily for him have been England v Ireland when he scored and played well and us vs the Vile when he score two crackers. Too me that is what a lot of the media and neutrals base their opinions on.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2545 on: January 16, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
We see him week in week out, the media and neutrals don't see him properly that often. In the very few times that People have seen Shane play 90 minutes luckily for him have been England v Ireland when he scored and played well and us vs the Vile when he score two crackers. Too me that is what a lot of the media and neutrals base their opinions on.

Probably bang on there! They did have a caller offering a different view but i could hardly understand a word he said! They said we must be the most "marmite" club. Durham thinks we're split on pepe mel too but we really aren't, there's probably a very small minority who feel we should have kept him on

pattayabaggie

« Reply #2546 on: January 16, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
Some albion fan has just phoned talksport and said that Longs played really well in the last few games that he has played   and he cant believe he is being sold.

The being sold thing is a opinion but Long has been shocking in the last few games
I was the tweeter that Durham read out saying he hasn't got a clue  :D
tomwba ?@tomwba1982 26m

@talkSPORTDrive No this caller hasn't got a clue Long has been very average for a long time now its time to let him go
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:40:38 PM by pattayabaggie »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2547 on: January 16, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »
I was the tweeter that Durham read out saying he hasn't got a clue  :D
tomwba ?@tomwba1982 26m

@talkSPORTDrive No this caller hasn't got a clue Long has been very average for a long time now its time to let him go

Good effort!

pattayabaggie

« Reply #2548 on: January 16, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »
Good effort!
One thing that has failed to be mentioned is that Long has already rejected 2 new contract offers so i can't understand how the club can be criticised we've been left with little choice regardless of what fans think about him

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2549 on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »
Would any of us think of signing a player that doesn't score goals, has no control, cant hold the ball up and doesn't create enough chances for others and his only quality is that he runs about a lot for £7m? If we made a signing like this the board would never hear the end of it.

Great money for a very average player.
Gera, Gera, Gera