Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2349635 times)

salmacis

• WBA Newbie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #950 on: July 02, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »
Its time for change and a gamble, we have gone as far as we can with JP and what a jolly good job he has done.
If we are ever to compete for Europe like we did in the seventies then we need the financial clout
Some people here seem to be labouring under the delusion that we are a big club. We are not (in Premier League terms.) Our average attendance is one of the lowest in the league. Our commercial income is one of the lowest in the league. Our brand recognition is one of the lowest in the league. It's really not helpful to bang on about our history, or the trophies we won 50 years ago or more. Football has changed, and it's now all about money - something our club has never had a lot of. Simply holding our own in the Premier League is an achievement.

For those hoping for a foreign billionaire to come in and splash the cash, realistically, how often does that work? How's that working out for Blackburn, or Cardiff, or Birmingham? The fact is that 7th is realistically the best we can hope to achieve in the Premier League - and I hate that about modern football.

salmacis

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #951 on: July 02, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
Fingers crossed!
If you don't mind me asking, Baggieblood, how long have you been supporting Albion? Do you remember the dark decade before Paul Thompson? Be careful what you wish for, as it can all come crashing down very quickly.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #952 on: July 02, 2015, 04:33:59 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, Baggieblood, how long have you been supporting Albion? Do you remember the dark decade before Paul Thompson? Be careful what you wish for, as it can all come crashing down very quickly.

I think Baggieblood is Megson in disguise!  ;)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #953 on: July 02, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
Some people here seem to be labouring under the delusion that we are a big club. We are not (in Premier League terms.) Our average attendance is one of the lowest in the league. Our commercial income is one of the lowest in the league. Our brand recognition is one of the lowest in the league. It's really not helpful to bang on about our history, or the trophies we won 50 years ago or more. Football has changed, and it's now all about money - something our club has never had a lot of. Simply holding our own in the Premier League is an achievement.

For those hoping for a foreign billionaire to come in and splash the cash, realistically, how often does that work? How's that working out for Blackburn, or Cardiff, or Birmingham? The fact is that 7th is realistically the best we can hope to achieve in the Premier League - and I hate that about modern football.
Completely agree. Historically we're a mid-table, top side club, and that's where we are right now. Before then (pre-Peace), we were underachieving.

Baggieblood

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #954 on: July 02, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
1987 first game was a 3-2 win over huddersfield (terrible strip) from rainbow stand. Morley hat-trick.

Followed them to over 70 grounds home and abroad (anglo-italian).

Had a season ticket since i could afford one, since 2001.

salmacis

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #955 on: July 02, 2015, 04:52:55 PM »
So you remember the worst of it then. Peace has done a fantastic job in establishing ourselves in the Premier League, without saddling us with debt. The chances are that his successor will not be as astute. Think of the transition from Ashworth to Garlick, for instance. The Championship is full of clubs that could easily replace us, and I don't want to end up back there.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #956 on: July 02, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
I wonder if the likes of John Percy will have egg on their faces tonight or will his article stating a statement is 48 hours away prove to be true.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #957 on: July 02, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
John Percy is normally quite reliable, maybe something may leak later on.
BOING BOING

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #958 on: July 02, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
if it's to be the Chinese man who buy's into/takes over at the club who's to say he will be make any changes at board level, i believe he left the board at Athletico Madrid intact (although he only brought a 20% stake), he's obviously a very astute business man and knows how to delegate, so for me why would he want to remove JP who has served the club so well when there would be a time of massive upheaval. Surely having someone with JP's experience & track record would only help him see some return on any investment he made, not like the people who were employed at the clubs that struggled following take overs.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #959 on: July 02, 2015, 05:23:42 PM »
I wonder if the likes of John Percy will have egg on their faces tonight or will his article stating a statement is 48 hours away prove to be true.

I would suspect they would merely state they were reporting what they were were told if their source proved to be less reliable than at first thought why should they be embarrassed? I don't think anyone really knows but this will be resolved shortly, if for no other reason that after two months of due diligence and negotiations there is either a deal on the table or there isn't.

Peace will not pull the plug on the sale for the sake of a few days here or there but if there was no serious interest it would have been halted by now.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

teaguey

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #960 on: July 02, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »
It's not just the football and the league position. Look around the ground, it's maintained perfectly. I go away all round the country and see stands far newer looking considerably older than our ground because of the constant maintainence and upgrades we receive.

I grew up watching games from the old Rainbow, struggling to beat Port Vale and Bristol Rovers. I now watch my club from the smethwick beating Chelsea 3-0 and competing in the most watched football league on the planet. I for one and proud of our club and am extremely thankful for what JP has done for the club. Regardless of his penny pinching and business model. A bi-product of his successful business model is indeed a successful football team. I know we moan that it ain't good enough from time to time but at least in my life time this is the most successful Albion I've ever seen.

I do hold a grudge for the Irvine appointment but that's another story.
Follow me: @teaguey91

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #961 on: July 02, 2015, 07:14:47 PM »
I've heard that it's chinese which seems to be common knowledge and that the new owner does have a lot of money. Not wang jianlin however

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #962 on: July 02, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »
I've heard that it's chinese which seems to be common knowledge and that the new owner does have a lot of money. Not wang jianlin however
Do you know when it will become public knowledge?
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #963 on: July 02, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »

I'm just getting sick of speculation and hear say now. I just want to hear something concrete from the club.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #964 on: July 02, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
I'm just getting sick of speculation and hear say now. I just want to hear something concrete from the club.

Too true, Just want to get on with the closed season

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #965 on: July 02, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
is he one of the wongs from Beijing

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #966 on: July 02, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »
if it's to be the Chinese man who buy's into/takes over at the club who's to say he will be make any changes at board level, i believe he left the board at Athletico Madrid intact (although he only brought a 20% stake), he's obviously a very astute business man and knows how to delegate, so for me why would he want to remove JP who has served the club so well when there would be a time of massive upheaval. Surely having someone with JP's experience & track record would only help him see some return on any investment he made, not like the people who were employed at the clubs that struggled following take overs.

Peace will run a mile from The Hawthorns,  as soon as the cheque clears. Peace was never an Albion man, just an opportunistic accountant....
Penny Arcade.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #967 on: July 02, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
There's no harm in anyone speculating about the prospective new owners and what money they will make available for new signings. We should not get away from the basic fact, however, that NO-ONE outside the corridors of power knows who these faceless people are.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #968 on: July 02, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
Peace will run a mile from The Hawthorns,  as soon as the cheque clears. Peace was never an Albion man, just an opportunistic accountant....

And what if he does?

He will leave the Albion in a much better position than when he found it.

- A much better financial footing; the richest we've ever been
- Far greater training facilities
- An academy which is looking successful
- And a good group of players - much better than the ones when he took over
- a sixth consecutive season in the Premier League

That is not a bad record for the opportunistic accountant is it?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #969 on: July 02, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

Just look at it from the point of view from a West Brom fan, and not the agenda you have against the man personally.

If you don't think he has done a cracking job then I don't know what you expect. I really couldn't care less if he has made himself a very rich man in the process, I'll go as far as saying he deserves it and it sums up how good he is at his job when he can make himself rich and make the business successful

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #970 on: July 02, 2015, 08:42:45 PM »
And what if he does?

He will leave the Albion in a much better position than when he found it.

- A much better financial footing; the richest we've ever been
- Far greater training facilities
- An academy which is looking successful
- And a good group of players - much better than the ones when he took over
- a sixth consecutive season in the Premier League

That is not a bad record for the opportunistic accountant is it?

I was responding to a comment that Peace should stay in a Director capacity, I'm sorry but your comments are irrelevant to my response.
Penny Arcade.

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #971 on: July 02, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »
Just look at it from the point of view from a West Brom fan, and not the agenda you have against the man personally.

If you don't think he has done a cracking job then I don't know what you expect. I really couldn't care less if he has made himself a very rich man in the process, I'll go as far as saying he deserves it and it sums up how good he is at his job when he can make himself rich and make the business successful

Are you saying I'm not a West Brom fan?
This season will be my 58th....
And no matter how good a job you think that he has done, he certainly has not earned the enormous fortune he will take from our club.
Tell me what have we won during his tenure. Nothing.
I wonder how much you think he would deserve if we had been successful.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:52:14 PM by labaggies »
Penny Arcade.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #972 on: July 02, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
Isn't JP a well known Albion fan even before he took over?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #973 on: July 02, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »
Are you saying I'm not a West Brom fan?
This season will be my 58th....
And no matter how good a job you think that he has done, he certainly has not earned the enormous fortune he will take from our club.
Tell me what have we won during his tenure. Nothing.
I wonder how much you think he would deserve if we had been successful.

We won the football league Championship.  ;)

Effectively he took a club that was only worth whatever the land the ground is built on was worth and built it into a Premier League club with multi million pound turnover about to enjoy the largest contract in Football history. And to ensure we get a piece of it has employed a manager who doesn't get relegated.  Ever. Sounds like an astute chap who has earned every penny in an industry renowned for losing money by the millions.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #974 on: July 02, 2015, 09:07:45 PM »
We won the football league Championship.  ;)

Effectively he took a club that was only worth whatever the land the ground is built on was worth and built it into a Premier League club with multi million pound turnover about to enjoy the largest contract in Football history. And to ensure we get a piece of it has employed a manager who doesn't get relegated.  Ever. Sounds like an astute chap who has earned every penny in an industry renowned for losing money by the millions.
Excellent post Jacko, some people will never be happy until he as gone.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE