Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363145 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #475 on: June 15, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
I think Peace has taken us as far as he can. Under his continued ownership we will tread water for a bit and then sink.
I think Peace knows it as well,hence the reason for wanting to sell.
What suddenly hit me is how totalitarian WBA has become. The boardroom has always been a closed shop, but it was also a democratic one, and we even had old players sitting on the board giving the playing side view.

Over the years Peace has taken over the board bit by bit, until he is the most powerful chairman we have ever had in our history.
Whether that is good or bad will divide opinions, but i think it is time we brought in fresh owners to push on in this Ever changing football world.
Who knows what the premiership will look like 10 years from now, i just hope we are still in it and doing well, on and off the pitch.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #476 on: June 15, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
I think Peace has taken us as far as he can. Under his continued ownership we will tread water for a bit and then sink.
I think Peace knows it as well,hence the reason for wanting to sell.
What suddenly hit me is how totalitarian WBA has become. The boardroom has always been a closed shop, but it was also a democratic one, and we even had old players sitting on the board giving the playing side view.

Over the years Peace has taken over the board bit by bit, until he is the most powerful chairman we have ever had in our history.
Whether that is good or bad will divide opinions, but i think it is time we brought in fresh owners to push on in this Ever changing football world.
Who knows what the premiership will look like 10 years from now, i just hope we are still in it and doing well, on and off the pitch.

Better the Devil you know - be careful what you wish for! I am a big JP fan for the way he has run the club.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #477 on: June 15, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »
Better the Devil you know - be careful what you wish for! I am a big JP fan for the way he has run the club.
So you are happy with a chairman who admitted we are basically bottom end premiership to a mid table Championship outfit.There's ambition for you!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #478 on: June 15, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »
Has is the operative word.

The game is changing now quicker than it has ever before.

We need to keep up or be left behind with the Wednesday's, forest's leeds and the shower from Wolvo.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #479 on: June 15, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
So you are happy with a chairman who admitted we are basically bottom end premiership to a mid table Championship outfit.There's ambition for you!
Having been an Albion fan for 46 years I have been through the depths of despair in fact far more lows than highs -  usually the result of a poor boardroom. The only real highs were those under Giles, Atkinson and Allen. Hence i much prefer a stable boardroom, reliable manager with the chance of a good cup run and mid table league position. The investment required to take us into the top 8 would be massive and is unlikely to come. Just a realist really!
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #480 on: June 15, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »

And where did we finish this year, where do we finish most years??

He wouldnt be wrong would he....and 'basically' means he hasnt said it, thats how you have interpreted his words....show me in exact words where he said that and ill believe you.

JP has done a brilliant job at this club, simple as that!

Be interested too know how far along a new buyer is

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2015, 12:53:15 PM »

I don't think it would take a great deal of effort to push us on to the next level. By that I mean good cup runs and squeezing into Europe. Teams like Swansea and Southampton have proved it can be done recently. We won't achieve this with JP in charge IMO. We've regressed over the last 2 seasons because we've stood still. We were very lucky that TP was available or else we'd have gone this season. TP needs backing this summer which if JP stays I can't see happening and next season will be another struggle.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: June 15, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »

Anyone who uses this quote to prove Peace's lack of ambition obviously never read the full interview or has any idea of the context. How it's still being bandied about is testament to just how little people bother to get some context on the stuff they read on Twitter / hearsay / other people's opinions.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #483 on: June 15, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
Peace has done well for us financially, yes. But we are still no better when it comes to signing players than we were 10 years ago.
He did remarkably well securing the services of Roy Hodgson,which gave us our best ever finishes. But then we went back to the untried untested.
We just about survived under Mel, and Peace came out and said. OK i have learned a lesson, i will be more proactive in the future....and then he appoints Alan Irvine.
Make no mistake, had it not been for the anger of the fans Irvine, Downing and Keily would not have been sacked and we would have been down.
You have even all heard it from the horses mouth, a mid table championship club punching above it's weight.
Punching above it's weight soley to the fact that Peace has no wish to invest on the playing side of the club,and is totally blind or ignorant toe the history and traditions of West Bromwich Albion.

Thanks for everything Jeremy, now run along.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #484 on: June 15, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »

Seriously mate, that's a huge misquote context wise.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #485 on: June 15, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »
I don't think it would take a great deal of effort to push us on to the next level. By that I mean good cup runs and squeezing into Europe. Teams like Swansea and Southampton have proved it can be done recently. We won't achieve this with JP in charge IMO. We've regressed over the last 2 seasons because we've stood still. We were very lucky that TP was available or else we'd have gone this season. TP needs backing this summer which if JP stays I can't see happening and next season will be another struggle.

It wasn't JP that told the team to go out and play like dingbats against the veela and thus deprive us of a possible cup final place or told Foster to come our like a banshi with seconds to go against the same opposition.
It wasn't JP that told the team to perform way below par against the likes of QPR and Leicester.
We're never going to be Champions league contenders because nobody in their right mind would invest that amount of money into us, but with a few tweaks and sensible investment we can put ourselves in a position where we are challenging for domestic cup honours  and possible UEFA cup places.
We need to build positively year on year not dive in and throw cash at it, I don't believe that most fans want to see that anyway.
I for one hope that the new consortium have the good sense to leave JP at the helm during the transitional period.
As others have said better the devil you know.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #486 on: June 15, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
Wasn't we a mid table championship side before peace took over ?, I started watching games when we first got promoted I would never of imagined that we would of had footballing figures like hodgson, kanu, Lukaku, odemwan.er, Fletcher, lescott come to our club we have progressed so well unfortunately things have gone a bit stale the last couple years hence peace wanting to sell, I believe he has said he wants someone to come in and take us to the next level.

Don't get the haters we have had good and bad moments same as any club but the majority have been good years under Jeremy and we have reached some fantastic heights to.

Maybe the stumbling block is the new owners want old tone gone ?  :D with new investment comes a lot of unknown grounds.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #487 on: June 15, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »
People have got short and selective memories . Remember when we beat port vale . I never thought we would get to the big money league . I would like to see a takeover we all would , but on the bigger picture we are in a fantastic shape and much of that is down to Jeremy .

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #488 on: June 15, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
All i am saying is that yes, Jeremy has put the club on a strong foundation, but by his own admittance cannot take us any further.

We have two choices, we either stay under his leadership and slip back into obscurity, missing out on the sky millions, or take a gamble, and yes, it is a gamble, by selling the club to someone who CAN push us on.

The frst alternative is championship, the second could well be, but might not.

I know which i would prefer.    Mankind would have never got out of a cave without change and risks.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #489 on: June 15, 2015, 01:51:55 PM »
I've had to set aside my fairly entrenched views on Peace.  We are soon to start our sixth consecutive season in the PL.  I think almost everything about the club has improved significantly during his tenure.  I doubt whether it would be possible to find a shorter or smoother ride to where we are today without that sugar daddy (or even with it - see wulfs).  I, kind of, feel proud when I see WBA (nil debt) 3 - 0 (£1bn debt) Chelsea...

I reserve my criticism of Peace for areas such as fan interaction, financial openness and the fact that someone who is a 'fan' can plan to benefit to the tune of £150m after recovering his initial investment many years ago.  As a fan I don't think I could just take all the money and retire to Barbados.  I'd want to find a way to pay my dues and share the benefit.  Maybe I'm weird?  I like £s, but I love West Brom.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:53:50 PM by Mr Cynical »

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #490 on: June 15, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
On what basis are we predicted to go back to the championship ? We finished 13 th last year . The big big money comes this year . Including 4 years of help to clubs that are relegated   I remain happy and optimistic and hope Jeremy stays .

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #491 on: June 15, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
I've had to set aside my fairly entrenched views on Peace.  We are soon to start our sixth consecutive season in the PL.  I think almost everything about the club has improved significantly during his tenure.  I doubt whether it would be possible to find a shorter or smoother ride to where we are today without that sugar daddy (or even with it - see wulfs).  I, kind of, feel proud when I see WBA (nil debt) 3 - 0 (£1bn debt) Chelsea...

I reserve my criticism of Peace for areas such as fan interaction, financial openness and the fact that someone who is a 'fan' can plan to benefit to the tune of £150m after recovering his initial investment many years ago.  As a fan I don't think I could just take all the money and retire to Barbados.  I'd want to find a way to pay my dues and share the benefit.  Maybe I'm weird?  I like £s, but I love West Brom.

Good post. Agree with every word.

At this moment in time he is a safe pair of hands. It was the same with Eliis at the vile, and everybody wanted shot of him for progression purposes.... that went well didn't it.

For me at this moment in time progression is knocking on the door of a Europa spot with a good cup run or two. When we find ourselves in that position we can re appraise our progress then, but I really don't want the club to go into masses of debt at the hands of a money orientated foreign investor for the sake of 'progress'. Also, I don't want to buy the title either........but you make some valid points about JP.
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #492 on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »
just as a matter of interest I keep reading about us 'getting to the next level'
What does that actually mean?
With a few tweaks we can be challenging for the domestic cups and finish in the top half of the Prem.
What are we actually looking to be doing?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gablythe

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #493 on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
I don't mind if we buy the title. Fat chance.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #494 on: June 15, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »
I'm prepared to give Peace the benefit of the doubt at the moment.
Maybe the sticking point is not him haggling about the money.
Perhaps, as a fan, he is making sure that the club passes on to someone who will continue, as he has done, to act in the best interests of the club.
Perhaps he is laying down conditions to prevent the situation that we all fear: that we will be the next Portsmouth, for example.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #495 on: June 15, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
It's the only way now i'm afraid.

Who was the last club to do it without money?

Why is Jeremy trying to sell the club? Answers on a postcard please.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #496 on: June 15, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
Whether you're for or against Peace selling, I think it's starting to draw on a bit now. As others have said, we really need to be pro-active in the transfer market and get the ball rolling, regardless of our ownership scenario.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #497 on: June 15, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »
Whether you're for or against Peace selling, I think it's starting to draw on a bit now. As others have said, we really need to be pro-active in the transfer market and get the ball rolling, regardless of our ownership scenario.
I don't see a problem with us having further discussions for the next couple of weeks if it's to bring us the right owners, It is amazing how we keep it so discreet.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #498 on: June 15, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
It's the only way now i'm afraid.

Who was the last club to do it without money?

Why is Jeremy trying to sell the club? Answers on a postcard please.

Leeds 91-92 ?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: June 15, 2015, 03:27:35 PM »
Peace has done well for us financially, yes. But we are still no better when it comes to signing players than we were 10 years ago.
He did remarkably well securing the services of Roy Hodgson,which gave us our best ever finishes. But then we went back to the untried untested.
We just about survived under Mel, and Peace came out and said. OK i have learned a lesson, i will be more proactive in the future....and then he appoints Alan Irvine.
Make no mistake, had it not been for the anger of the fans Irvine, Downing and Keily would not have been sacked and we would have been down.
You have even all heard it from the horses mouth, a mid table championship club punching above it's weight.
Punching above it's weight soley to the fact that Peace has no wish to invest on the playing side of the club,and is totally blind or ignorant toe the history and traditions of West Bromwich Albion.

Thanks for everything Jeremy, now run along.

we finished 8th under Clarke.

that's a good trick, how do you regress while standing still?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill