Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2367799 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2015, 10:31:01 PM »
I'd be very surprised if a sale goes ahead this summer. We need a buyer who is willing to give Peace £150m, and then invest in the club on-top. Given that he bought the club for a circa 4-6m (apparently using a loan which the club then paid back of the years) and has been paying himself a generous salary he is taking the micky. No chance of a Jack Hayward style giveaway I guess. He may be a fan but he's a business man first and fan second.

Why would anyone want to invest for £150-200m? Even with the new TV deal there is little money to be made as it's all going to go on the playing side and greed league wages. Alternatively if there is any money to be made then that's to the detriment of the club and the fans.  Real tension here between the likely profit motives of any outside consortium and the future of the club.

I suspect that anyone investing £200m odd is either going to try to push the debt onto the club via dodgy loans (which would be a disaster for us and a disgrace. We are not Man Utd, we cannot afford a Glazer style debt dump being laid at our door) or is going to want to take money back from the future revenue - which wouldn't appear likely either unless an asset stripping process gets underway.

From a business perspective there appears to be no real incentive. We also need to be careful with getting carried out with the press stories of groups being shown around the facilities. There are lots of dodgy people around who claim to have access to large wealth but in fact are no more than con-artists. Just like what happened down the road with Birmingham.

Peace has done a professional and impressive job in many ways but if he sells to random consortium who then abuse what has been built up then he will be the one responsible.

To re-cap we need an investor who will:

-Invest at least £200m to invest in the club from day one and have access to more dough
-Have no interest in recouping that investment, or trying to make a profit
-Run the club for the long term interest (i.e. no debt, stability, back Pulis long term)

So essentially we need a Steve Gibson type billionaire - there is no chance of this working out.

Best case scenario we are probably stuck with Peace which would be no bad thing - just wish he'd show some ambition to expand the stadium and lower the match day ticket price (not season ticket prices).

It is important to distinguish between an investor and a benefactor. An investor gives money to a project in the hope and expectation of a return whereas a benefactor gives money out civic duty, ego or to curry political influence. Too often football fans confuse the two and assume that the former is always preferable to the latter.

A good investor (Peace Fenway or  Lewis) is preferable to a bad benefactor (Alam, Tan or Jordan). A good investor understands what they are buying and nurtures it, yes the decision making is informed by the profit motive but as such they do not waste resources for show.

On the other hand the benefactor model is often lavish in it's expenditure but not in anyway shape or form rational and often club's are engulfed by crisis's entirely created by the benefactors ego and amateurish dabbling. A lot of the money is wasted and the net effect is probably negative.

It is probably worth noting that the Tan and Alam have poured millions into Cardiff and Hull who were in desperate financial straits without there intervention their supporters would be lucky to watching their teams in Division 2. That alone gives the owners a certain sense of entitlement to try out whatever crackpot schemes they dream up.

Peace is selling a strong club that can stand on it's own two feet without the need to find funds from anywhere to keep going. There is no need for the new owners to go to their pocket to bankroll the club if they wish to invest in projects that generate growth in the expectation of a return that is their choice. Hopefully a quality asset will attract a quality investor.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2015, 10:43:34 PM »
The article is a fortnight old ?

He posted the link a fortnight ago ;)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-takeover-chinese-consortium-5555974

Aston Villa are being targeted by a wealthy Chinese consortium who want to complete a takeover immediately after the FA Cup final.

Tim Sherwood’s side stunned Liverpool on Sunday to set up a showdown against Arsenal on May 30.

And Villa could lift the Cup then be in new hands within hours as the Chinese are determined to buy a Premier League club.

The group have also held talks with neighbouring West Brom as a back-up plan as the move for Villa would depend on them avoiding relegation.

MirrorSport understands the consortium already have representatives in England and are doing due diligence ahead of completing a Villa deal in early June.

They have been at the training ground and toured the club as wantaway owner Randy Lerner is willing to sell for around £150million.

But four miles away, Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace has also put his club up for sale - and the same Chinese group are interested in Albion as an alternative.

Peace, who has shown the group around their stadium and facilities, is holding out for upwards of £100m.

Villa, whose sale is being handled by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, has more potential with its top stadium, training ground and bigger fanbase, but is also more expensive.

Albion, meanwhile, recently posted annual financial results showing pre-tax profits of £14.7m on an income of £86.8m.

Peace is believed to have impressed the group with his financially prudent methods such as having all staff on flex-down contracts should the club be relegated.

But Albion have an ageing squad and boss Tony Pulis wants major investment in the new younger players this summer to avoid another relegation battle.

The Chinese consortium are thought to be the only serious bidders in for both Villa and West Brom.

But they have also apparently enquired after Crystal Palace, valued at around £90m, following a hitch in talks with US businessman Josh Harris’ Apollo Global Management group.

A deal was progressing but Eagles owner Steve Parish is believed to have raised the terms recently when they started flying under new boss Alan Pardew.

Far East sources say the Chinese group have been after a Premier League club for a year and are now hopeful of finalising a deal.

If successful, they plan to strategically raise revenues in China by growing the brand to reinvest in the club in line with Financial Fair Play.

The above is from James Nursey who is  about as reliable as an Austin Allegro so make of it what you will. 

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-takeover-chinese-consortium-5555974

Aston Villa are being targeted by a wealthy Chinese consortium who want to complete a takeover immediately after the FA Cup final.

Tim Sherwood’s side stunned Liverpool on Sunday to set up a showdown against Arsenal on May 30.

And Villa could lift the Cup then be in new hands within hours as the Chinese are determined to buy a Premier League club.

The group have also held talks with neighbouring West Brom as a back-up plan as the move for Villa would depend on them avoiding relegation.

MirrorSport understands the consortium already have representatives in England and are doing due diligence ahead of completing a Villa deal in early June.

They have been at the training ground and toured the club as wantaway owner Randy Lerner is willing to sell for around £150million.

But four miles away, Baggies chairman Jeremy Peace has also put his club up for sale - and the same Chinese group are interested in Albion as an alternative.

Peace, who has shown the group around their stadium and facilities, is holding out for upwards of £100m.

Villa, whose sale is being handled by Bank of America Merrill Lynch, has more potential with its top stadium, training ground and bigger fanbase, but is also more expensive.

Albion, meanwhile, recently posted annual financial results showing pre-tax profits of £14.7m on an income of £86.8m.

Peace is believed to have impressed the group with his financially prudent methods such as having all staff on flex-down contracts should the club be relegated.

But Albion have an ageing squad and boss Tony Pulis wants major investment in the new younger players this summer to avoid another relegation battle.

The Chinese consortium are thought to be the only serious bidders in for both Villa and West Brom.

But they have also apparently enquired after Crystal Palace, valued at around £90m, following a hitch in talks with US businessman Josh Harris’ Apollo Global Management group.

A deal was progressing but Eagles owner Steve Parish is believed to have raised the terms recently when they started flying under new boss Alan Pardew.

Far East sources say the Chinese group have been after a Premier League club for a year and are now hopeful of finalising a deal.

If successful, they plan to strategically raise revenues in China by growing the brand to reinvest in the club in line with Financial Fair Play.

The above is from James Nursey who is  about as reliable as an Austin Allegro so make of it what you will.
Sounds like he made this up while sat in the pub.

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »
If Peace is looking to sell and doesn't manage to find anyone during the early part of the summer will there realistically be a large investment in the squad during the transfer window? It seems a bit of a catch 22.. He will want to stay up to keep his value of the club strong but then the more he puts in the less he will potentially take out..

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »
I'd really rather villa get chinese investment over us. Always seems to go wrong with chinese owners, they seem a bit dodgy. I would rather keep peace tbh. An ideal scenario is if a big company takes us over as has been done with Liverpool but that won't happen.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2015, 06:29:04 AM »
We've seen the 'Peace Out' brigade in action I wonder if we will see a 'Peace In' brigade come to the forfront now?  ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59:47 AM »
I'm not really a fan of JP.  I think the finances - both short and long term - have always come before any football success for him.  There's lots of other stuff (that has been debated long and hard) but finding some stability in the PL is taking some of my grudges away... if only he hadn't made some ridiculous managerial decisions and tried to do everything on the cheap for most of the last 2 years.

If he sells the club for £150m then he's done amazingly well for himself.  Having already reclaimed his original investment and plenty more besides, plus a £1m+ salary for many years now.  If he achieves that £150m it will be more than £10m per year he's been chairman.  He will stand, almost on his own, as someone walking away from a football club with a handsome profit.  But its £150m he'd take out of WBA and English Football. 

What does he need £150m for?  Why wouldn't he say give me £100m and use the other £50m to build a new Halfords and buy a centre forward.  (I know I'm full of romantic ideas of sharing some of the rewards with those who've been on the journey with you.)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2015, 12:00:20 PM »
I'm not really a fan of JP.  I think the finances - both short and long term - have always come before any football success for him.  There's lots of other stuff (that has been debated long and hard) but finding some stability in the PL is taking some of my grudges away... if only he hadn't made some ridiculous managerial decisions and tried to do everything on the cheap for most of the last 2 years.

If he sells the club for £150m then he's done amazingly well for himself.  Having already reclaimed his original investment and plenty more besides, plus a £1m+ salary for many years now.  If he achieves that £150m it will be more than £10m per year he's been chairman.  He will stand, almost on his own, as someone walking away from a football club with a handsome profit.  But its £150m he'd take out of WBA and English Football. 

What does he need £150m for?  Why wouldn't he say give me £100m and use the other £50m to build a new Halfords and buy a centre forward.  (I know I'm full of romantic ideas of sharing some of the rewards with those who've been on the journey with you.)

walk away with £100m and leave a legacy at the club, romantic yes, but possible - who knows??
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »

My thoughts exactly. If he truly wanted us to kick on as a club, he should consider this. If he does intend to walk away with a massive windfall, he'd be just another greedy individual that cares not a jot about a club and it's supporters.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »
You inherit your house when a family member dies. It is worth 150k do you pocket 100k and give the other 3rd to charity when the sale goes through or do you take the full 150k

Very easy to decide how to spend other people's money.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
You inherit your house when a family member dies. It is worth 150k do you pocket 100k and give the other 3rd to charity when the sale goes through or do you take the full 150k

Whilst I understand your point we are talking on a totally different scale here. The obscene amounts of money swilling around in this business these days is completely unacceptable IMHO.  I know I am being niave but ssince no one seems to wish to legislate against greed we can only hope that individuals might begin to buck the trend and develop some kind of social conscience?
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »

Didn't Sir Jack of the dog heads sell for a £5   

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »

Not really a decision is it?  more a point of conjecture.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »

Albion head coach Tony Pulis and chairman Jeremy Peace

Latest from the B'ham Mail:

West Bromwich Albion chairman Jeremy Peace has given Tony Pulis a sell-by date.
Peace is ready to sell the club this summer and has told Pulis the cut-off point for a potential takeover, so as not to disrupt his transfer plans.
Pulis was unable to reveal the date, but insisted the chairman had been open about his intentions. and would remain committed to Albion if the right buyer was not found.
“He’s given us that promise that he won’t be hanging round if there’s an offer there and there’s a deal to be done,” said Pulis.
“He’ll want it done before a certain date and if that doesn’t happen then he’ll commit himself to the club again.”
“I think he wants it to be with the right people. I don’t think he wants to sell it to just anybody. They have to be the right people who are going to invest and look after the club.
“He’s spent a lot of time here and invested a lot of money into the football club to put it where it is. If you look at the stadium, the academy set up, the training ground facilities and everything else. This club has moved on very well and they make a profit every year. So he hasn’t done too bad a job.”
Meanwhile. Pulis has confirmed Craig Dawson has recovered from a dead-leg, while there are no fresh injury worries ahead of the match against Liverpool

Having read the article I suspect that the cut-off date could be around the end of May. If so, this would imply that a deal is still very much on the cards.

mansell100

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/04/27/foreign-investors-close-to-west-bromwich-albion-bid/?

Foreign investors close to West Bromwich Albion bid

Foreign investors are thought to be close to making an offer for West Bromwich Albion, with two overseas parties showing a strong interest in the club, according to officials.

Interest in the club in beginning to hot up after chairman Jeremy Peace set a mid-summer deadline on any deal when he put it up for sale for £200 million. He said he does not want negotiations to interfere with planning for next season.

Albion said two overseas parties had shown strong interest in taking over the club and that the end of May would be the ‘critical’ point if there is to be a takeover.

Other groups are also believed to be monitoring events from afar before deciding whether to enter the battle for the club.

Club spokesman Martin Swain said: “There are a couple of interested parties and that process is continuing.

“We believe there are still others in the background who have not made quite as serious a play yet. The end of May is the critical moment. We will know a lot more then.”

Groups from America and the Far East have made contact about potentially taking over the club but the chairman is ready to walk away from any deal if it is not completed by the start of pre-season training in July.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
Surely potentially having a "will they, won't they" situation through to the start of pre-season training in July will affect our close season recruitment plans? Possibly not being able to do anything until then will put us on the back foot.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
Have to say I feel very uneasy about all of this. Don't get me wrong I sometimes get irritated with Peace over his lack of ambition (about time they bloody did the stadium) but overall he has been very good for this club.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »
I'm a taj excited about this but also very apprehensive.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
I see too many horror stories for my liking from foreign investors at clubs.

I would have been happy keeping Peace, obviously he wants to move on though. I am way more nervous about it than I am excited.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »
Surely potentially having a "will they, won't they" situation through to the start of pre-season training in July will affect our close season recruitment plans? Possibly not being able to do anything until then will put us on the back foot.

For the sale to complete by then the club will know how serious or otherwise any potential bidder is by the middle of next month. At that point it will either be going ahead or not. Unless the new ownership want sweeping changes to the personnel involved there is no reason why we cannot proceed on a business as usual basis, it is not as if the club is insolvent and waiting to be bailed out by the new ownership.
Typically we will do very little business prior to July in any event.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
Typically we will do very little business prior to July in any event.
And hasn't that worked out well in recent years?!  ;D

Managers/coaches always say that they want as many new players to be signed in time for the start of pre-season training, otherwise the new players seem to spend months having to play catch-up.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
And hasn't that worked out well in recent years?!  ;D

Managers/coaches always say that they want as many new players to be signed in time for the start of pre-season training, otherwise the new players seem to spend months having to play catch-up.

Every coach at every club says the same and every year the vast bulk of deals get done in August and the last two weeks of the window are always the busiest. It probably doesn't matter if the player is getting a pre season somewhere it is the players without clubs that tend to suffer fitness issues. Hence I think the ownership issue is a bit of a red herring provided it is resolved for the beginning July.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »
May 31st deadline according to BBC's Pat Murphy.
"This crack is really moreish."

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
May 31st deadline according to BBC's Pat Murphy.

Steve Madeley ‏@smadeley_star 
If there's no prospect of selling by end of May Peace will stay. If a deal is in train he won't call it off. Could well go into June.
The PRIDE of midlands