Author Topic: Taylor Gardner-Hickman joins Bristol City  (Read 70036 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Taylor Gardner-Hickman
« Reply #400 on: May 12, 2023, 11:46:36 AM »
The problem for the modern full back is that they're instructed to always be on the lookout for chances to overlap and then chastised for not recovering back - a task that Usain Bolt would have difficulty performing.  Of course there is always the notion of someone being expected to cover the full-back - although some would expect Furlong to do that as well.

I agree with the notion of covering your full back, it's a basic in football and has been for as long as I can remember. So are recovery runs, positioning and helping to double up with your cover player to prevent balls into the box. Furlong's greatest asset is his athleticism, the timing of his runs and positional awareness have always been in question.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #401 on: July 29, 2023, 09:35:52 AM »
Where has this LB story come from, not seen anything anywhere to suggest it's true.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2023, 09:53:23 AM »
Someone on another site saying TGH will be off, not sure how I’d feel about that

I hope he stays. He's still only 21 and is very versatile. In a thin squad, you need players like this more than usual. If he leaves, you could see him being another Sam Field.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2023, 10:06:00 AM »
I hope he stays too. Apparently he played well last night, despite being surrounded by kids. He also showed he’s a goal threat with two very good goals vs Salford. I think he’s worthy of his place here for now.

I could understand if he wants out though. Hard to know what he was told last night. Possibly it was easier for him to swallow playing that game than any of the other CMs, but I don’t think it looks good for him with CC.  5 matches until the end of August. If he doesn’t seem to get much time i could accept him personally wanting to leave. 

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #404 on: July 29, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »
Perhaps CC trusted him to be in control of the younger guys eh?
So he gave him that responsibility last night

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #405 on: July 29, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »
Whilst I like molumbys endeavour I’d happily sacrifice him to get o brien.
I can’t see TGH fetching more than a couple of million and I’d say we need 5 to get o brien.
Or maybe someone is interested in mowatt at a couple of mill?
If we could shift chalobah wage of the books would help, I’d say he is the one I’d like to go first

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #406 on: July 29, 2023, 12:53:36 PM »
We need to persist with TGH.

He has all the attributes to be top pro, other than consistency which is understandable given his age.

Unless the bid is over £10m, this would be a stupid move on our part.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #407 on: July 29, 2023, 02:27:20 PM »
We need to persist with TGH.

He has all the attributes to be top pro, other than consistency which is understandable given his age.

Unless the bid is over £10m, this would be a stupid move on our part.

Looks like we are considering 3M for Palmer, so we will probably be selling TGH for 10 quid. We are a shambles.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #408 on: July 29, 2023, 03:02:44 PM »
From what i heard TGH preference is to stay but willing to leave if not given a fair run.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: July 29, 2023, 03:49:41 PM »
Another Sam Field. Manager doesn't seem to like him for whatever reason. Will probably move on for a pittance and look good elsewhere.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #410 on: July 29, 2023, 04:09:50 PM »
Would rather he stayed personally. If sold, the fee will not be 25% of the 10 million mentioned above.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: July 29, 2023, 07:57:15 PM »
Has he shown anything to really demonstrate that he deserves to a run of starts?

Still don’t know his position and - no question - should have benefited from a loan at a league one club by now. His progress has stalled.

Sadly, he now has to be used as a squad player as we won’t be bringing many in. Look at Mowatt and Kipre: were surplus to requirements and now treated as if they’re new signings and both likely to start the season in the first XI.

Luke.jones12345

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #412 on: July 29, 2023, 08:40:44 PM »
Would rather have  tgh anyday over players like chalobah and reach 

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #413 on: July 29, 2023, 09:30:04 PM »
Has he shown anything to really demonstrate that he deserves to a run of starts?

Still don’t know his position and - no question - should have benefited from a loan at a league one club by now. His progress has stalled.

Sadly, he now has to be used as a squad player as we won’t be bringing many in. Look at Mowatt and Kipre: were surplus to requirements and now treated as if they’re new signings and both likely to start the season in the first XI.
They both went out on season long loans before CC was anywhere near the club. We don't know yet how much they'll feature but CC may well want them in the mix, especially Kipre following O'Shea's departure.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #414 on: July 29, 2023, 09:36:19 PM »
They both went out on season long loans before CC was anywhere near the club. We don't know yet how much they'll feature but CC may well want them in the mix, especially Kipre following O'Shea's departure.

Not wanting to distract from TGH but I think that’s the disappointment - both players were deemed not good enough and we’ve seen Kipre under various managers. He looks an utter liability. Nothing we can do but only highlights our poor squad and precarious position.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #415 on: July 29, 2023, 09:48:16 PM »
Not wanting to distract from TGH but I think that’s the disappointment - both players were deemed not good enough and we’ve seen Kipre under various managers. He looks an utter liability. Nothing we can do but only highlights our poor squad and precarious position.
That's your opinion though. I for one disagree and he had a good season at Cardiff. CC is allegedly looking for more of a possession based style. To do that you need defenders who are comfortable on the ball and Kipre is streets ahead of our other defenders as far as that goes. Anyway this is the TGH thread as you say.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #416 on: July 29, 2023, 10:02:27 PM »
That's your opinion though. I for one disagree and he had a good season at Cardiff. CC is allegedly looking for more of a possession based style. To do that you need defenders who are comfortable on the ball and Kipre is streets ahead of our other defenders as far as that goes. Anyway this is the TGH thread as you say.

I don’t think possession based will work for us. We don’t have the players. When people talk about possession, they often talk about how the top teams do it, but when they do it they change the pace and turn the screw with ability when the times right.  We can’t do that, we arent good enough. Champ teams generally aren’t as if they let defenses get set they can’t break them down.

At this level we’d be better off playing Bartley and Taylor I think. Head it, kick it defenders. Then let Wallace, Sarmiento, Wallace and even players like TGH drive forward with intent when we have the ball.  We aren’t going to become Barcelona or City in this division.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2023, 10:27:35 PM »
2 x Wallace? Might just equal a top player  8)

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: July 29, 2023, 10:34:11 PM »
I don’t think possession based will work for us. We don’t have the players. When people talk about possession, they often talk about how the top teams do it, but when they do it they change the pace and turn the screw with ability when the times right.  We can’t do that, we arent good enough. Champ teams generally aren’t as if they let defenses get set they can’t break them down.

At this level we’d be better off playing Bartley and Taylor I think. Head it, kick it defenders. Then let Wallace, Sarmiento, Wallace and even players like TGH drive forward with intent when we have the ball.  We aren’t going to become Barcelona or City in this division.

Fair enough. Desperate times call for desperate measures and he has one more chance. Proof will be in the pudding after the first 5 games or so. Although only pre-season, we haven’t exactly been tight at the back.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #419 on: July 29, 2023, 11:30:23 PM »
Don’t know why people think Kipre is a liability, I’d have him in the side every time over Bartley . TGH is a useful squad member if not a regular starter.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #420 on: July 29, 2023, 11:42:05 PM »
TGH needs to nail down position and soon, or move on for his own sake.

People keep talking about he could be a other  Sam Field, as though we are letting Xavi go, in context Field is mid 20's and is playing in a very average championship side like QPR (and i really wanted Field to come good)

The two best prospects of late are O'Shea who has moved for £7m quid and possibly Palmer who is going for £3m, both have been regulars in the first team, if they are good enough they will get the chance.

Not many leave us and go to better things.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #421 on: July 30, 2023, 04:50:46 PM »
TGH needs to nail down position and soon, or move on for his own sake.

People keep talking about he could be a other  Sam Field, as though we are letting Xavi go, in context Field is mid 20's and is playing in a very average championship side like QPR (and i really wanted Field to come good)

The two best prospects of late are O'Shea who has moved for £7m quid and possibly Palmer who is going for £3m, both have been regulars in the first team, if they are good enough they will get the chance.

Not many leave us and go to better things.

Fwiw Field may be in a poor team, but is acknowledged as being their best player, and was being linked with moves to the Premier League in January (Fulham / Palace). He was also the only QPR team from our game at the Hawthorns who would have improved our team on the day, despite the result.

Admittedly it's not a like for like comparison; Field is a holding player so is likely to improve as he gets older, while TGH is more box-to-box and will likely struggle later on in his career.

Ironically his reading of the game / positioning is the area of the game Corberan is supposedly unimpressed with; something which always impressed me about Field.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #422 on: July 30, 2023, 05:13:41 PM »
TGH starts at Blackburn for me if molumby isn't fit. Yokusulu needs a runner with him
O Albion we love you

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #423 on: August 01, 2023, 01:34:07 AM »
I think TGH will be off.

NorthCarolinaBaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #424 on: August 01, 2023, 02:00:18 AM »
I think TGH will be off.

I realize I'm likely alone in this, but I still rate TGH's chances to turn into a decent player. He's always played hard, and when he flashes his ability it really pops to me. Was kind of hoping we give him one more season to see if he can really take that step forwards. But I suppose if he doesn't any value he has left is gone.
A diehard Baggie in the American rural south...