Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 292222 times)

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #2150 on: July 15, 2023, 11:02:43 PM »
An expensive bench warmer, that if he doesn't score offers very little. I'd argue that Cleary (when fit) could fill that role for a fraction of the price.
To that end I see no problem with Grant going. I don't believe CC saw him in the DD, BTA, striker role anyway.
Unspoilt By Progress

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2151 on: July 15, 2023, 11:43:07 PM »
Hopefully he does well enough there that somebody gives us some money for him next summer...
He isn't a centre forward and he isn't a winger. He was a poor buy. Very happy he has gone. Hopefully the others we need out to allow us to bring in what Don Carlos wants are gone soon too
O Albion we love you

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2152 on: July 16, 2023, 01:43:34 AM »
Would have been impossible to imagine loaning him to a side that finished 20th in the Champ last season, when we signed him 3 years ago. Would have considered it a worse than a worst case scenario, considering the outlay.

But here we are and the business makes sense in context. Benchwarmer at best. CC doesn’t fancy him, nor do 95% of the fans. Hopefully opens up some interesting options in the loan market.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2153 on: July 16, 2023, 08:54:25 AM »
Really interesting to read what the Cardiff manager was saying about him on the BBC website.  According to him, "Karlan will bring goals, speed and work rate to this team. He works hard on the pitch, not just offensively but in defence as well," Cardiff boss Erol Bulut said.

"Now, we have a few players like Karlan who can play in different positions. He can play as a winger, but we can also use him as a striker and a second striker.

Have I missed something?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2154 on: July 16, 2023, 09:11:46 AM »
Someone will come in soon and is highly likely to be better than KG.

I like your confidence '22

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2155 on: July 16, 2023, 10:01:11 AM »
Really interesting to read what the Cardiff manager was saying about him on the BBC website.  According to him, "Karlan will bring goals, speed and work rate to this team. He works hard on the pitch, not just offensively but in defence as well," Cardiff boss Erol Bulut said.

"Now, we have a few players like Karlan who can play in different positions. He can play as a winger, but we can also use him as a striker and a second striker.

Have I missed something?

It looks like you missed a couple of things. Such as his runs into space in offensive areas which a number of his teammates also missed (so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself with that one  ;D ) and tracking back which he did quite a lot of.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2156 on: July 16, 2023, 10:28:00 AM »
Show me something that tells me a coach hasn't seen his new loan signing play without actually saying he hasn't seen his new loan signing play.

Have I missed something?

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2157 on: July 16, 2023, 10:47:17 AM »
Cardiff can't afford his wages, they are skint
I'm replying to my own text here - I'm really surprised by what Cardiff are doing right now, with Ramsay as well.  I live in Cardiff and know a couple of STHs, they are gobsmacked, they were under the impression there was nothing in the kitty.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2158 on: July 16, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »
I'm replying to my own text here - I'm really surprised by what Cardiff are doing right now, with Ramsay as well.  I live in Cardiff and know a couple of STHs, they are gobsmacked, they were under the impression there was nothing in the kitty.

I was generally reading through footy twitter and one of the football finance accounts there said that Cardiff have stuck 20m aside for the Sala case. A few weeks ago they were ordered to pay another 9.45m and that's the end of it fullstop.

Maybe they have saved a few million they didn't think they would have and used it for Grant and Ramsey.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:17:16 PM by gazberg »

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2159 on: July 16, 2023, 04:15:23 PM »
I live in Cardiff and know a couple of STHs, they are gobsmacked, they were under the impression there was nothing in the kitty.
Why? I thought they're under a transfer ban because they refused to pay for Sala (saying the accident was the selling club's fault, not theirs, and so they shouldn't have to pay), not because they couldn't pay for him?
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2160 on: July 16, 2023, 05:04:47 PM »
A £16 million one-trick pony, he could score 25 goals for Cardiff next season and I'd still be glad to see the back of him.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2161 on: July 16, 2023, 07:29:25 PM »
A £16 million one-trick pony, he could score 25 goals for Cardiff next season and I'd still be glad to see the back of him.

I'm with you... And he won't do that so relax

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2162 on: July 16, 2023, 07:29:54 PM »
I like your confidence '22

Thanks!

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2163 on: July 16, 2023, 08:21:19 PM »
I hope he does - we might get a half decent transfer fee for him next summer if it happens.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2164 on: July 16, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »

As a matter of interest, what was the trick?
MAGA!

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2165 on: July 16, 2023, 09:26:01 PM »
He was very good at disappearing in matches.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2166 on: July 17, 2023, 08:57:13 AM »

Have I missed something?

Speed is probably the funniest. Not saying he is a slouch, but   I can't remember a time his pace ever got him past a player.

He might bring goals, he has had atleast 1 season with each of his last 3 clubs where has has scored goals, but he is so one dimensional that you have to sacrifice your tactics to accommodate him in a wide role, where he adds nothing in normal open play.

The hard work bit hadn't been evident for much of his time here, albeit Corberan said he was working hard for the team in the second half of the season. The only problem was that he still failed to actually do anything.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him score goals for Cardiff, but I reckon at beat their fans will be like those at Huddersfield who liked him enough but didn't love him.
Boing Boing

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2167 on: July 17, 2023, 09:35:40 AM »
I wonder where Grant himself prefers to play and in what system ? I also hope we've learned lessons and included a recall option although as the primary concern seems to get his wages off the books this seems unlikely
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2168 on: July 17, 2023, 09:37:54 AM »

Cuts in from the left, shoots straight at the keeper.  Occasionally though he would miss the keeper.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2169 on: July 17, 2023, 10:25:25 AM »
Cuts in from the left, shoots straight at the keeper.  Occasionally though he would miss the keeper.
He never missed the keeper, they just sometimes fumbled it.

What's the betting he and Robinson do us this year.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2170 on: July 17, 2023, 10:44:31 AM »
He never missed the keeper, they just sometimes fumbled it.

What's the betting he and Robinson do us this year.

I'll have £100 with you that Grant doesn't come close to scoring against us this season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2171 on: July 17, 2023, 10:54:13 AM »
as long has hes replaced and i suspect the games against Cardiff will bite us in the
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2172 on: July 17, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »
as long has hes replaced and i suspect the games against Cardiff will bite us in the

He will be ineligible in the games against us

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2173 on: July 17, 2023, 12:13:44 PM »

I would call that a limited footballer as opposed to a trick to be honest…..
MAGA!

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2174 on: July 17, 2023, 01:21:31 PM »
Last thing that we need is a recall option !