Author Topic: Chris Brunt admits West Brom struggled with Darren Moore's tactics  (Read 10897 times)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/03/12/chris-brunt-admits-underperforming-west-brom-struggled-with-darren-moores-tactics/.
Whilst I never wanted Darren as manager, and fully expected the sad outcome of his appointment, I really am getting fed up of these responses from our players, time after time.
BLOODY MAN UP!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt admits West Brom struggled with Darren Moore's tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:49:17 AM »
How many times are we going to hear this about different managers?
Vetting managers surely includes their playing style and tactics. Apparently we are falling short on this basic requirement of how they coach a team.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:53:32 AM »
Don’t know how to feel about that article. I agree with much of what he says, but for some reason it leaves a bit of a sour taste.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:04:18 AM »
Honest response, saying what we all knew all along. Just that the Moore lovers didn't accept it and wanted to give him more time.
A manager with no experience given the job in a pivotal season.
I still can't get my head around that one.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 06:38:10 AM »
How many times are we going to hear this about different managers?
Vetting managers surely includes their playing style and tactics. Apparently we are falling short on this basic requirement of how they coach a team.

Most of it is because most this squad only feel comfortable playing one way - sitting extremely deep and hoping to nick one off a set piece. And they couldn't even do that by the end of Pulis' reign.

The squad has needed an overhaul for ages, it was molded in Pulis' style and too many of our players are incapable of playing anything else.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 06:49:03 AM »
Not sure what the outrage is, Brunty is giving an honest account of what was going on in the dressing room.
He's just confirmed what we all knew, the players are not good enough to play the system that Moore was trying to get them to play.
23,000 people in the stadium could see it so why on earth couldn't Moore and his oppo?
Ultimately his stubbornness has cost him his job.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 06:54:19 AM »
According to reports which include direct quotes from the players.

They couldn't work with Mel's high press
Lost their way under Irvine
Got bored of the drudgery of Pulisball
Lost their discipline under Pardew
Weren't comfortable playing out from the back for Moore,

You have to ask the question what will they be comfortable doing for the multi million pound contracts?

That is just pathetic from Brunt.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »
Ok Chris fair enough. But the proof of the pudding is going to be in the winning isn't it?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »

You have to ask the question what will they be comfortable doing for the multi million pound contracts?

Exactly, and that is why I started this thread. The sooner that Brunt and Morrison are gone the better, they have been part of every episode, and are spent forces in any event.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
Another new style tried to be introduced well we know what our players think of change.

Et tu Brute

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:26 AM »
Taken in isolation Brunts comments would seem fair.

However as Standaman points out, the same thing has been said about the last 5 managers / head coaches, maybe just maybe it isnt the managers thats the problem.

Its the reason i dont believe our squad is the best in the league other than on past reputation, other squads are younger, hungrier and want to learn, our players are older and seem to have a bit more of been there and done that attitude.

When things pickup the players talk of how they love the new system, it happened under Pardew mini revival too (6 games i think that lasted including the FA cup?!) but soon as things dont go to plan and they have to graft to turn it round it seems they dont want to change or cant change, either way its a mentality that now has to be stopped.

I have never been more desperate for this club to not be promoted as it will give a better chance of moving most of these players on, i think one of the only things that will get my interest back as a fan is a complete revamp rather than players deciding what works.

I hope Jimmy Shan draws the next two games, that way his reputation stays in tact which he deserves because he is a good man and good coach. It also means he would be unlikely to get the job full time as if he wins both i could see some of our bandits, i mean players, thinking if he does well, we get him the job, we can have another 12 months of this easy life, can just see a little group of them paying Jenkins a visit, supporting Shan for manager with a couple of wins under his belt and Jenkins thinking well its a cheap option and means we have a manager!

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »
Brunt and a couple of others are snakes. Jenkins and Lai should let them either choose the new manager or let them do it. Drain the swamp this summer regardless of what division we are in. And before the ‘Brunts A legend’ reply’s he’s been well paid for doing what he does ie his job.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:59:22 AM »
Does this mean that Darren will be seen in the same light as Pepe Mel? Failure to succeed because of him as opposed to the players? I somehow suspect not strangely enough  ;)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »
Brunt and a couple of others are snakes. Jenkins and Lai should let them either choose the new manager or let them do it. Drain the swamp this summer regardless of what division we are in. And before the ‘Brunts A legend’ reply’s he’s been well paid for doing what he does ie his job.

Yep.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »
It's been clear for a couple of years now that we have some players who cannot implement what the coaches want or aren't good enough to do so. I'm not singling out Brunt really as I think his intentions are good generally and he's been a great club servant. However, it highlights the players basically stopped playing for Darren and this just sounds embarrassing.

Whoever the new man is, whatever division we're in, we badly , desperately need to flush out this squad big time and start again. We should've done this in the summer to give Darren the best chance to rebuild in his own vision (or Jones' vision whoever was pulling the strings).

Do these players think they're at Chelsea or something!!!? Wow!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 09:30:46 AM »
Completely agree with Brunt. Does anyone actually think Moore and Jones tactics were acceptable over the season? I don't.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 09:31:29 AM »
In my previous job I worked for several principals who weren't up to their job (and they ended up being sacked). I was up to my job, but ultimately what they wanted the staff to do had an impact on everyone below them and the school went into special measures. My individual skill and knowledge had no impact, other than on the lesson reviews I received.

It's the same here. As already stated, it's their job. There are a lot of managers who wonder from one club to another, have no skill but they know the lingo to land themselves big money contracts.

I think some fans are upset that Brunt hasn't sat there crying that a fan favourite has been sacked. I feel sad that he's gone, but ultimately I don't believe he could organise the team and this was clear from the Bolton game.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »
What happens if the players struggle / cant be arsed with the new coaches style?

Or the next 2 or 3 after that? Do we just keep sacking them?

Or do we give a manager time to move players on, build their own style and take it from there? Jokanovic said it took time at fulham, it would appear he wouldnt get that time with albion, the players will see to that.

Biggest mistake moore made was putting faith and trust in these players, who had two managers sacked in the 6 months previous.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:43:46 AM by Albion79 »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 09:51:39 AM »

Although I understand the sentiment, the majority of the squad have not been around for much of that so unless we are inheriently signing bad people, I’m not sure how much it really tells us.

I personally read it like CB has perhaps held back a little knowing DM is a good guy and that everyone thinks so and not wanting to really throw a good guy under the bus

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
Also other than Pulis who will continue to do what Pulis does none of the others have hardly proved successful managers. The sackings were all right in my opinion and the appointments questionable (again bar Pulis who did initially what was required).

Doesn’t give hope the next one will be right either though

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
This is another shambolic episode down the Albion, if media are to be believed Lai wanted to appoint Darren over the board who recommended current vile boss. Moore wants a number 2 in Jones who acts like the head coach and insists on playing out from back in a 353 formation with no cohesion from midfield to forward line which clearly doesn't work as player's employed by club aren't up to it. Recruitment has been woeful except for to shinning lights on loan, with no pace where its needed in middle of park. As for Big Dave's dismissal while I agree with decision there had to be a coach lined up to take over straight away but I forgot this the Albion.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
The vast majority of this squad were here under pulis and pardew and you can copy and paste brunts comments from yesterday and insert it into what was said when pulis and pardew were sacked.

The squad is either incapable of change or doesnt want to change and either way that doesnt bode well for the club, the players have to be moved on, not keep changing manager.

If darren moores remit was top 2 then he failed and was sacked, however whoever we get in next we have to show faith, even if that means taking a risk and giving a manager a three year deal and making it clear barring disaster (and not being promoted shouldnt be classed as a disaster, though due to the premier league money the board would disagree) that the new manager is here to stay and will be given time to build and develop something and if the players dont want or cant do that then they will be the ones being moved on, not the manager.

For once we have to show some patience with the new man, other clubs have benefitted by doing it, we do have expectant fans and for us to get better and become a stable club again its going to take a strong manager who knows flak is coming their way when they make changes, a board who dont panic at first sign of trouble and fans to be more patient.

Sadly and i hope i am wrong i see none of the above, i just see the same thing happening again and come this time next year we will probably be looking for a new manager whatever league we are in, because whoever it is coming in will have a blip at some point and we panic.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »
The problem with Brunt's comments is that in a way it's a public warning to Shan not to play the same way. Even if there are discussions taking place involving players about playing style, these should remain private.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:17 AM »
Just looking at the season, I can understand and agree with Brunt's comments.

However, we as fans are looking more long term and it seems that Moore was too. If he was trying to change the style of play that will take a) time to embed and coach and b) require players more suited to playing that way. Maybe this summer will have been a clear out of those who have proven themselves incapable of playing this way. As Albion79 (I think) pointed out elsewhere, there are many managers who have struggled in their first season when trying to change the style of play like Farke and Guardiola for example who then went on to become successful after changing the playing squad once the new style of play was embedded.

I guess the question is, and has been answered with his sacking, was this Moore's remit from the club? Clearly not which is disappointing as having a more flexible style of play that meant we could attack games, creating a pathway for the youth and also a squad overhaul (which I'm presuming will have happened this summer), were things that I would have been in favour of. Moore's remit evidently was solely promotion. Going forward, the owners and Luke Dowling really need to set a blueprint for how they want this club to operate because I have had enough of the short term thinking - it hasn't been successful for us.

To summarise, in the short term yes, Brunt's comments are correct but in the long term, they are symbolic of our problems.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »
The too comfy, set in their ways squad are back again with their "our way or the highway" attitude.

They like all of us get paid to do a job with instructions from their manager to carry out those instruction whether they agree with them or not.

Part of the clearout started when others went but it seems there's still some there who have too much sway and as time goes by their voices get heard and listed to by others adding to their power.

This is a bloke who they all liked last season but seems not enough to put the effort in and go outside their little comfort zones.

Clear them out in the Summer if contracts are up so instead of rewarding them with a nice signing on fee, let them go and any others who want to be gone, get a young hungry squad who both want to be here and can progress with us.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill