Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 408989 times)

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
This is an interesting one as they are obviously trying to take advantage of the additional money to premiership clubs as much as clubs are potentially trying to take advantage of them. They have no doubt seen what our final payment will likely be for James Chester (who had one year remaining on his contract) and the potential final payment for David Marshall (should it take place) and be holding out to see what they can get from us or any other suitors.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
I have a feeling we'll try and push this one to the wire and end up selling the squad short again. If we keep dithering on Sako, he'll get annoyed and walk away, and we'll end up with no-one.

Of course, I'd get Sako in, and still be in for Phillips - mostly because one plays left and one right.

So you'd have McManaman and McLean as Subs? Sess to be sold?

in theory we'd have two 1st choice capable people everywhere, but in practice I can't see us buying more than 1 winger now.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
I have a feeling we'll try and push this one to the wire and end up selling the squad short again. If we keep dithering on Sako, he'll get annoyed and walk away, and we'll end up with no-one.

Of course, I'd get Sako in, and still be in for Phillips - mostly because one plays left and one right.

To who? he doesn't appear to be inundated with options at present.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »

in theory we'd have two 1st choice capable people everywhere, but in practice I can't see us buying more than 1 winger now.

It wouldn't be as simple as that. They are not too far off each other ability wise therefore it would make great competition for the squad. Factor in injuries, loss of form and suspensions and you could easily carry 4 wingers. Sess to move on too if we can find a buyer as it's obvious he's not a Pulis player. If he is to stay then surely he should only be played through the middle and not out wide.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »

Football is now a squad game, with the idea of having as strong a squad as you can. That means, in practice, two good players in each position (with three keepers).

Nobody would be first or second choice as a right, it should depend on factors including form and opposition, and of course, injuries. You need good cover.

And why would four wingers mean Sessegnon getting sold? His best position is just off a loan forward, an option that it would be good to have in our arsenal. You don't want to keep playing players out of position.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »
Football is now a squad game, with the idea of having as strong a squad as you can. That means, in practice, two good players in each position (with three keepers).

Nobody would be first or second choice as a right, it should depend on factors including form and opposition, and of course, injuries. You need good cover.

And why would four wingers mean Sessegnon getting sold? His best position is just off a loan forward, an option that it would be good to have in our arsenal. You don't want to keep playing players out of position.

I think that's been a big problem for us over the last year or two. The side has pretty much picked itself and still does now to a degree. Players are far too comfortable as the 'squad fillers' haven't been good enough to press for a starting role. As you say we need better players to improve the competition.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
Gardner can play on the wing too, in fact I'd start him on the wing against City.
the regime don't like it man

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
Gardner can play on the wing too, in fact I'd start him on the wing against City.

no he cant play on the wing, we can shove him out wide right to fill a hole but that does not make him a winger

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2015, 03:11:56 PM »
no he cant play on the wing, we can shove him out wide right to fill a hole but that does not make him a winger
Is it a bad time to also mention he's a full back too?  :P

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
Is it a bad time to also mention he's a full back too?  :P

YES.......LOL

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
Defensively, he is actually a very good winger for us. Last year against Palace away, his role was to completely defend and keep Zaha quiet, he barely crossed the half way line and was constantly tracking back, hence why he'd be fine against Man City.
In an attacking sense on the wing, I agree he is never a winger, but in certain situations he is very useful on the wing.

AbDabs

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
Defensively, he is actually a very good winger for us. Last year against Palace away, his role was to completely defend and keep Zaha quiet, he barely crossed the half way line and was constantly tracking back, hence why he'd be fine against Man City.
In an attacking sense on the wing, I agree he is never a winger, but in certain situations he is very useful on the wing.

Surely a winger who never goes on the wing, but stays in his own half all the game is a full back?!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2015, 08:46:53 AM »
Surely a winger who never goes on the wing, but stays in his own half all the game is a full back?!

Not necessarily if when we win the ball they are then breaking forward.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »

A defensive winger....really???? Surely thats called a full back

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »
A defensive winger....really???? Surely thats called a full back
Are you being pedantic on purpose?
Re-watch the Palace away game if you want. It's common knowledge that under Pulis, against certain teams, certain players will have to defend a lot more which was Gardner's case against Palace. He defended and helped Dawson out. No he wasn't a wing-back as having two in the same position would be suicide. However, he wasn't bombing forward or doing many crosses either, he was extremely defensive in the midfield on the wing, it's not hard to understand.

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
Are you being pedantic on purpose?
Re-watch the Palace away game if you want. It's common knowledge that under Pulis, against certain teams, certain players will have to defend a lot more which was Gardner's case against Palace. He defended and helped Dawson out. No he wasn't a wing-back as having two in the same position would be suicide. However, he wasn't bombing forward or doing many crosses either, he was extremely defensive in the midfield on the wing, it's not hard to understand.

i think its you whos being pedantic.

why would you have a right back then a right defensive winger, there isnt even a name for such a position.

certain teams, certain players.........you mean every feckin game under pulis.

the football is w4nk at best, pulis is going to ruin our club mark my words.
West Bromwich Born, Greets Green Bred

jwilkes90

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »

why would you have a right back then a right defensive winger, there isnt even a name for such a position.

Like he ruined Stoke and Palace? To me both clubs have benefitted from the strong platform he put in place. His style of football can be defensive at times but so was Hodgson's. Unless we spend megabucks we will always have to double up against the best wingers in the league to get something out of games.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #242 on: August 05, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »

I agree mate but I still think he'll keep us up. Sadly all entertainment will be sacrificed with the sole aim being survival. I certainly won't be paying to watch the dross served up regardless of results.

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #243 on: August 05, 2015, 03:20:23 PM »
Like he ruined Stoke and Palace? To me both clubs have benefitted from the strong platform he put in place. His style of football can be defensive at times but so was Hodgson's. Unless we spend megabucks we will always have to double up against the best wingers in the league to get something out of games.

exactly like he ruined stoke, their football was terrible!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »

There is a balance to be found I think. Look at Swansea and Southampton. They play great football but still get results. Crystal Palace will be the same under Pardew.

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2015, 03:28:12 PM »

Because the football played under Irvine was fantastic wasn't it!?! Oh, and it was free flowing and exciting under Hodgson too!

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »

There is. Most people call it wide right or right midfield.

Even Mourinho and Ferguson do it in Europe when they are playing against the better sides. Ferguson would put Rooney out wide and leave Ronaldo up front because he knew Rooney would track back and Ronaldo wouldn't. That's no different than Pulis preferring Gardner and Morrison over Sessegnon?

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »

Ruined? He made them.

Went from finishing 13th in the Championship when he took over to an established Premierleague team, the FA cup final and knockout stages of Europa League at Valencia!

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
Because the football played under Irvine was fantastic wasn't it!?! Oh, and it was free flowing and exciting under Hodgson too!

where did i say that?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2015, 03:43:05 PM »
There is. Most people call it wide right or right midfield.

Even Mourinho and Ferguson do it in Europe when they are playing against the better sides. Ferguson would put Rooney out wide and leave Ronaldo up front because he knew Rooney would track back and Ronaldo wouldn't. That's no different than Pulis preferring Gardner and Morrison over Sessegnon?
exactly, we've been using one for 8 years now.. or would you call Brunt a winger?