Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406825 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #200 on: July 17, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »
This is turning into a joke. If 10 million is the price for Sinclair why don't we just pay it?
Because he may just end up like Sinclair. I remember people crying out for us to just pay what City wanted to get Sinclair...

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
Because he may just end up like Sinclair. I remember people crying out for us to just pay what City wanted to get Sinclair...

Brilliant post mate and agree with that.

I remember majority of this board saying go and pay the fee and get him in, proven winger etc etc.

Didnt exactly turn out to be a success did it.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »
I hope and I don't think that London baggie means Sinclair but Phillips

Hayward1984

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
This is turning into a joke. If 10 million is the price for Sinclair why don't we just pay it?

Just PAY THE MONEY!

"Time to show how big our balls are." - Paul Schnarer 14th Janurary.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
proven, young, premiership winger. i reckon £10m will seem like at snip at the end of the window.

Proven? He had a good 4 months
"This crack is really moreish."

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »

Or he may turn out to be our best player and give our one dimensional side a massive advantage. Sinclair just didn't work out here due to one reason or another but it's not to say he's a bad player.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
Proven? He had a good 4 months

4 more months than Gamboa, Blanco and Varela managed :)

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »
4 more months than Gamboa, Blanco and Varela managed :)

True but £10M is still alot for 4 good months.  We are right to hold our ground with the fee in my opinion.
"This crack is really moreish."

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »
Similar fee to Van Wolfswinkle! :o
Baggie in Southampton

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
Be interesting to know what our highest bid for him has been. I would offer £8m then walk away for a couple of weeks if it's rejected.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2015, 04:58:04 PM »
The point that's missed in all this is, when the big clubs make transfer errors, they can afford it to a degree (although Andy Carroll at Liverpool was pretty damaging), but when the smaller clubs do it, like Norwich, it is potentially catastrophic.

I'm fine with us setting limits.
Baggie in Southampton

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »
The point that's missed in all this is, when the big clubs make transfer errors, they can afford it to a degree (although Andy Carroll at Liverpool was pretty damaging), but when the smaller clubs do it, like Norwich, it is potentially catastrophic.

I'm fine with us setting limits.

Andy Carroll suprised me at the time as Liverpool's style of play didnt suit Carrolls game.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »
Brilliant post mate and agree with that.

I remember majority of this board saying go and pay the fee and get him in, proven winger etc etc.

Didnt exactly turn out to be a success did it.

That is the point I was making.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
What do you make of this then folks?

Chris Ramsey has reiterated that QPR will not reduce their asking price for Matt Phillips.

West London Sport  revealed last month that Rangers had rejected an offer from West Brom for Phillips and want £10m for the 23-year-old winger.

QPR director of football Les Ferdinand later dismissed reports that Albion were moving closer to reaching an agreement.

And head coach Ramsey says there is currently no prospect of the Scotland international being allowed to leave Loftus Road.

“We’ve had offers for him but they’ve been [from] people who are trying to take advantage of our situation,” Ramsey said
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »

Chris Ramsey has reiterated that QPR will not reduce their asking price for Matt Phillips.

West London Sport  revealed last month that Rangers had rejected an offer from West Brom for Phillips and want £10m for the 23-year-old winger.

QPR director of football Les Ferdinand later dismissed reports that Albion were moving closer to reaching an agreement.

And head coach Ramsey says there is currently no prospect of the Scotland international being allowed to leave Loftus Road.

“We’ve had offers for him but they’ve been [from] people who are trying to take advantage of our situation,” Ramsey said
Not really a surprise. They aren't going to weaken their bargaining position but suddenly saying they might be willing to compromise. I still think we have a chance of landing him myself but it will drag on right to the end. Not sure it really helps us if we can't get something sorted with them though as our alternatives may end up elsewhere if we hold out for too long but if he is our top target I suppose the club will say it's worth waiting if we feel we can get him.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2015, 09:42:35 AM »
I think that's the kind of rhetoric I would expect from a selling club trying to maximise the fee.

At the end of the day the player is worth what a team is prepared to pay for him. If TP decides he's worth £10m, then so be it, if not move on to the next on the list.

QPR have a high risk strategy that may or may not come off, but it's to be expected.

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »

What is there to say? He is saying what you would expect him to say. From early on you knew this potential transfer was going to be a long running one before both clubs found any middle ground.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »
At what point do we move on? QPR may not sell at all. They may agree to a £6m fee and someone else comes in on deadline day and beats us to his signing. I can see him staying with QPR with us not signing anyone else and then going back for him in January.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2015, 11:41:39 AM »
At what point do we move on? QPR may not sell at all. They may agree to a £6m fee and someone else comes in on deadline day and beats us to his signing. I can see him staying with QPR with us not signing anyone else and then going back for him in January.
if thats the case, we take Sako (who a free agent and not subject to the window) and move on.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2015, 11:45:48 AM »
if thats the case, we take Sako (who a free agent and not subject to the window) and move on.

Assuming no one else takes Sako in the meantime that is. For me signing Sako on a free is a no brainer. Is Phillips or Antonio really that much better for the additional money? The money saved could be put to better use i.e. another striker or quality CM.

My concern is we miss out on all of them.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »
Assuming no one else takes Sako in the meantime that is. For me signing Sako on a free is a no brainer. Is Phillips or Antonio really that much better for the additional money? The money saved could be put to better use i.e. another striker or quality CM.

he's not gone anywhere yet and even if someone else gets him, he's hardly the only free agent out there,even as a season's stopgap

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »

yep, I said earlier if we miss out on both of them we will look like real mugs
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »
he's not gone anywhere yet and even if someone else gets him, he's hardly the only free agent out there,even as a season's stopgap

We will never improve the squad if we keep signing 'stopgaps'. We need to be signing quality players who can go straight into our starting 11. We've had our fingers burned on many occasions bringing in free agents so close to the start of the season. I would imagine any free agents still available who haven't had a proper pre-season will be of very little use to us. Even Sako could take several weeks to get up to speed.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
Not good enough for the money wanted, move on.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:20 PM »
I have a feeling we'll try and push this one to the wire and end up selling the squad short again. If we keep dithering on Sako, he'll get annoyed and walk away, and we'll end up with no-one.

Of course, I'd get Sako in, and still be in for Phillips - mostly because one plays left and one right.