Would you like Pepe Mel to be our head coach next season

Yes
450 (76.4%)
No
53 (9%)
Mixed feelings
86 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 574

Author Topic: Pepe Mel  (Read 323856 times)

BAGGIES68

• WBA Newbie

Re: Back Pepe Mel
« Reply #550 on: April 23, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »
For what it's worth, he has my full support. Maybe it's the fact that when he succeeds it'll be sticking two fingers up to the so called experts/pundits. But to me, he seems a man of integrity and honesty, which makes a welcome change from the media savvy, bullsh1t spouting, win at all cost managers. I want us to stay up, but not with dour, negative, football. I want to be entertained, and Pepe's ideal of how football should be played will do for me. If we do get relegated, so what! It's happened before and it'll happen again. Whatever division were in, I'll be supporting my team (unless Bobby Gould returns :))

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #551 on: April 23, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »
Although Pepe hasn't really pulled up any trees, partly due to the well documented circumstances of not having his own coaches etc, I am more than willing to give him a chance. The thought of someone like Moyes, or worse still the usual suspects like Curbishley and Hoddle, (or even worse than that some of the other dinosaurs who come out of the woodwork every time there's a vacancy) really doesn't excite me at all. I quite like the idea of taking a chance on bringing in a relatively unknown, as we did with Di Matteo. Ok it might not always work out, but these guys have something to prove, and no one can say that the football under Di Matteo wasn't exciting. The difference of course is that Roberto inherited a decent team and didn't have to tackle a rebuild
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #552 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »
I see WM are still pushing their anti Pepe agenda, constantly trying to undermine him/the club.

If we stay up, and Pepe stays, I seriously hope the club consider restricting their access.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #553 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:30 PM »
Did you hear that chap talking to franks last night saying every time he criticised  mel on message boards  he got shot down. What a 42 caret plonker you are
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #554 on: April 23, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »
Whilst he is our head coach and I continue to believe in what football phylosophy he is trying to bring to the hawthorns he will utterly and totally get my flag  support.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:39:01 PM by kris_boing »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #555 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:23 AM »
I see WM are still pushing their anti Pepe agenda, constantly trying to undermine him/the club.
I despise WM for their gutter tabloid approach to their sports coverage and no longer listen to the station for this reason. Let's hope fans can see through WM's pathetic wind-up mentality and not have their judgement of Pepe Mel coloured by it.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #556 on: April 24, 2014, 08:43:55 AM »
Mel has done nothing whatsoever to deserve EVERYONE'S support.  If we'd have won the vast majority of games and played really well then there's an argument for it.

Some can back him but those who are shoving their Pro Mel agenda down everyone else's throats wont convince me.  I can see for myself that things are not improving under Mel for either of 2 reasons.

1) He pays no attention whatsoever to the defence which is why we concede so many goals or look like conceding every time the opposition attacks.

or 2) He has been overwhelmed by Kiely and Downing (as we know he has been undermined by the players) and that those two are doing the coaching and making the tactical decisions.

Either way he is failing and must be replaced at the end of the season IMO.  I dont for one minute think he will be here at the start of next season whether we stay up or go down.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #557 on: April 24, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »
Mel was brought in with the brief to keep us up as we were heading one way under Clarke and had been for a long while.

If Mel succeeds and keeps us up with the squad he inherited (which is the same Clarke had with only Thievy being added and Long/ Anelka going) then he has earned the right to be here next season and to have the Summer to move players on and get some in to suit how he wants us to set up instead of juggling players that are either not good enough or those that cannot/ do not want to adjust. Defensively we have not been great but juggling a once settled back four hasn't helped including full backs who are not up to the job and in the case of Reid/ Ridgewell (despite recent improvements) and Popov should have been replaced a long time ago.

Those being seen as undermining him are maybe the problem. Individual defensive errors from professional players cannot always be blamed on the manager, he's not on the pitch and with the lack of depth we have who else can he bring in to replace them ? They are professionals and they should by now know their jobs and responsibilities  yet they seem to be failing, time for a few to look in the mirror.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #558 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
Mel has done nothing whatsoever to deserve EVERYONE'S support.

Some can back him but those who are shoving their Pro Mel agenda down everyone else's throats wont convince me.

or 2) He has been overwhelmed by Kiely and Downing (as we know he has been undermined by the players) and that those two are doing the coaching and making the tactical decisions.

Every Albion manager deserves the support of the fan base, it’s what being a supporter is about: SUPPORTING!

And on your second point.. You know this how?   If anyone is shovelling an agenda it’s you, making sweeping comments like that without any foundation whatsoever
"This crack is really moreish."

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #559 on: April 24, 2014, 10:54:06 AM »
Mel has done nothing whatsoever to deserve EVERYONE'S support.  If we'd have won the vast majority of games and played really well then there's an argument for it.
Every new head coach should be allowed to bring in staff that he wants and players who are better at doing things the way that the head coach wants. Pepe Mel hasn't been able to do either of those things as yet, David Gomez apart (eventually), so I for one think it's not fair to judge him until he has had that opportunity. If he keeps us up, he deserves the chance to then do things his way, which is the remit he seemed to have been given when he came, after ridiculous faffing about on the Club's part after Clarke went of course.

If we'd beaten Cardiff and Spurs, as we should have done, this kind of conversation wouldn't be happening. Pepe Mel can't be blamed for the injury time equalisers that were conceded in those games. They were the result of a catalogue of individual errors which the players concerned have to be regarded as being responsible for. I'd be saying the same regardless of who our Head Coach was.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #560 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
Every Albion manager deserves the support of the fan base, it’s what being a supporter is about: SUPPORTING!

And on your second point.. You know this how?   If anyone is shovelling an agenda it’s you, making sweeping comments like that without any foundation whatsoever

What agenda am I shovelling?  Its my belief that that is whats happening.  I've not pressed it onto anyone.  The players got their own way during the Spain break.  Whose to say that Kiely and Downing haven't also? 

So because I don't 'support' a manager doesn't entitle me to an opinion?  Plenty of managers we've had over the years I've thought useless.  Doesn't stop me from supporting the club or the badge.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #561 on: April 24, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »

What agenda am I shovelling?  Its my belief that that is whats happening.  I've not pressed it onto anyone.  The players got their own way during the Spain break.  Whose to say that Kiely and Downing haven't also? 

I see people on here who appreciate Mel’s footballing philosophies and want him to succeed, yet you claim that these people are ‘shoving their Pro Mel agenda down everyone else's throats’.  Now you have been, shall we say, ‘Anti Mel’ and have posted your thoughts frequently, yet your opinion is based upon claims that are completely unsubstantiated ie that Downing and Kiely are doing all the coaching and making the tactical decisions.
"This crack is really moreish."

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #562 on: April 24, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »
In fairness I don't think Mel's use of the subs lately has been that good , Spurs at home 3 -1 up the game cried for Anichebe to come on and hold the ball for the clearly knackered Vydra. Instead we eventually got Saido when it was far too late , too often in other cases players are left on when they look burnt out or out of form (Brunt / Morgan against City).
That said i hope we get over the finishing line and for that Mel should get to start next season if we do , big changes ahead whatever happens.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #563 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »
I see people on here who appreciate Mel’s footballing philosophies and want him to succeed, yet you claim that these people are ‘shoving their Pro Mel agenda down everyone else's throats’.  Now you have been, shall we say, ‘Anti Mel’ and have posted your thoughts frequently, yet your opinion is based upon claims that are completely unsubstantiated ie that Downing and Kiely are doing all the coaching and making the tactical decisions.
I'm not at all keen on the defending , set piece defending or the way we fade in games since Mel took over .I'm well within my rights as a member to state that and i think they are undeniable claims mate.
That doesn't make me Anti Mel , i just want whats best for the Albion.
What there is on here and other places is quite a bit of blind faith in Mel with very little to back it up (i think that's Kris's point) and god forbid if someone like i just have makes some constructive criticisms against Mel's reign so far.
A bit of fair balance wouldn't be a bad thing among our fans in general overall .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:52:43 AM by Dexy »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #564 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
I do not recall any Head Coach not having his critics. I would be amazed if every Albion fan thought Mel was 100% right and I am damn sure that there are plenty who are currently in the Mel camp who would have a pretty sharp about turn if we were relegated.

I do think that had we appointed a different coach one that did not try to take the players out of their comfort zone we might have scrambled the necessary points to have been safe by now or the players may have continued to make sloppy errors and the net result would be the same. Nobody knows, we did what we did and we are where we are. 

I continue to support Mel and hope he is here next year for a number of reasons:

1. He offers the prospect of better football I have seen a few glimpses in the last few months but plainly the high pressing game is on the back burner at the minute.
2. Appointing a coach and not giving him any sort of chance is simply unfair. Yes everyone knows that life as a football coach is precarious and he is well compensated but this is not how our club should treat people.
3. Sacking Mel lets the players off the hook. They got Clarke sacked, okay he didn't help himself but ultimately he paid for the players mistakes and poor application
4. To start again with a new Head Coach who will want to look at the players give everyone a chance etc... delays the inevitable and overdue revamp of the squad.

I do not have blind faith in any coach but I think in general coaches shoulder too much of the blame when things go wrong at a club and it is a little bit too easy for the players to get a coach fired. Looking at Moyes at United he might have been out of his depth but he was not helped by a group of players that Roy Keane was right in saying should be ashamed of themselves. If we get relegated and we fire Mel then we too have a group of players that should be ashamed of themselves.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:01:18 PM by standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #565 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »

What footballing philosophies are we talking about here?  I cant honestly see a single difference he has made.  Defensively we are still a shambles, we create very few chances and in the times we do and score a few goals we end up drawing a game that we should have won of which there are plenty of examples this season.

What improvements has Pepe Mel made to the team?

I tell you what I think has happened this season.  We were failing under Clarke and the board turned to McDonough who championed Mel.  Downing and Kiely have questioned (correctly I will add) McDonoughs involvement and he's got the boot.  A rather lonely Mel finds it difficult to put his points across to the players without the help of his own backroom team (another Albion mistake). 

When it quickly became apparent that Mel cannot get his points across the players together with Downing and Kiely have approached the board who have put pressure on Mel to compromise. IMO he should have walked out at the point with his pride intact.  Now he is merely going through the motions, playing along if you will, until he leaves in the summer.  The club think too highly of Downing and Kiely to get rid, as it was the reason for so many managers (even Mel) not wanting the job.

It will be far cheaper to pay Mel off for the remainder of the season rather that overhaul the backroom staff together with a huge turnover of players especially (again IMO) that he has shown very little in terms of improving us.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #566 on: April 24, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »
It's quite simple If Mel takes us down with the games we have left then frankly he deserves to go.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #567 on: April 24, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
Its quite simple if we go down and Mel wants to stay then i will look forward to watching his brand of football in the championship with his own staff and tools to do a decent job.Yes every manager should carry some sort of blame but Pepe Mel should be given time at least his contract whatever division we are in .80% on most message boards think so too

Ole Ole Ole Ole
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:02:26 PM by Jack Russell »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #568 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
Its quite simple if we go down and Mel wants to stay then i will look forward to watching his brand of football in the championship with his own staff and tools to do a decent job.Yes every manager should carry some sort of blame but Pepe Mel should be given time at least his contract whatever division we are in .80% on most message boards think so too

Ole Ole Ole Ole
Given the silence from the powers that be i find Mel staying post relegation very unlikely.
To be honest even if we stop up I'm not at all convinced he will be here next season such is the lack of backing plus taking on board the bloke who pushed for Mel has now let the club.

else

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #569 on: April 24, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »
I voted no. He hasn't filled me with confidence as of yet. His tactics aren't great and I don't think he has a backbone, would be nice to have someone with a bit of authority. Not saying that's entirely his fault, but I just don't think he suits us.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #570 on: April 24, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
as most of you arware i was completely the opposite with Steve Clarke and i knew it wouldnt work with him, so i was proved right on that one.If Mel does leave us i will be disappointed indeed because we have the start of something special here.
I just hope JP doesnt go for the Steve Clarke boring negative cheap option again, there are plenty of them out there which is what worries me
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:14:33 PM by Jack Russell »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #571 on: April 24, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
as most of you arware i was completely the opposite with Steve Clarke and i knew it wouldnt work with him, so i was proved right on that one.If Mel does leave us i will be disappointed indeed because we have the start of something special here.
I just hope JP doesnt go for the Steve Clarke boring negative cheap option again, there are plenty of them out there which is what worries me

I think you never gave Clarke a chance whereas you are perhaps giving Mel too much credit. I do not expect Mel to survive relegation that might be harsh but I think it is very much on the cards. I don't see negative as being cheap or positive as being particularly expensive. The club is pretty much never going spend more than it earns if it wants to change the squad it will balance the books by selling players that don't fit Mel's style.

However regardless of who the Head Coach is we will have to have a fairly substantial overhaul of the squad. The only difference will be some players would be fit for purpose if we are going to adopt a more defensive style but some of the bigger issues with the squad will not go away. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:00:17 PM by standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #572 on: April 24, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
I do not recall any Head Coach not having his critics. I would be amazed if every Albion fan thought Mel was 100% right and I am damn sure that there are plenty who are currently in the Mel camp who would have a pretty sharp about turn if we were relegated.

I do think that had we appointed a different coach one that did not try to take the players out of their comfort zone we might have scrambled the necessary points to have been safe by now or the players may have continued to make sloppy errors and the net result would be the same. Nobody knows, we did what we did and we are where we are. 

I continue to support Mel and hope he is here next year for a number of reasons:

1. He offers the prospect of better football I have seen a few glimpses in the last few months but plainly the high pressing game is on the back burner at the minute.
2. Appointing a coach and not giving him any sort of chance is simply unfair. Yes everyone knows that life as a football coach is precarious and he is well compensated but this is not how our club should treat people.
3. Sacking Mel lets the players off the hook. They got Clarke sacked, okay he didn't help himself but ultimately he paid for the players mistakes and poor application
4. To start again with a new Head Coach who will want to look at the players give everyone a chance etc... delays the inevitable and overdue revamp of the squad.

I do not have blind faith in any coach but I think in general coaches shoulder too much of the blame when things go wrong at a club and it is a little bit too easy for the players to get a coach fired. Looking at Moyes at United he might have been out of his depth but he was not helped by a group of players that Roy Keen was right in saying should be ashamed of themselves. If we get relegated and we fire Mel then we too have a group of players that should be ashamed of themselves.

Above all else no 4 its the nail on the head. just hope JP see's it that way to.

DownInAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #573 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »

so a manager who led us to our highest ever premiership finish is rubbish yet a manager who has struggled since joining is Corberan?

Im in two minds about Mel. I love him as a bloke but I think this is blinding so many fans of his flaws such as his defensive set up, our inability to hang on to leads and the lack of authority to deal with the player/coach power struggle.
On the other I want to see passing football which hopefully Mel will bring.
Will he be here next year? I dont know but I trust JP 100% and will continue to support whoever is in charge.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #574 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:28 PM »
We all know that Clarke carried on where Roy left off and the wheels came off 4 months later.Lukaku got us to 8th not Clarke.Has he got another job yet.No and probably wont get one in the premier league unless he brought a team up and yes hes tactically rubbish