Author Topic: Dare to Dream.......?  (Read 25444 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Dare to Dream.......?
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »
Ok, so there's a great thread about the takeover, but that is about the nuts and bolts and what's and wherefors, this one is about our Dreams as supporters, what is the absolute most you can dare to dream about following the pending takeover?

Are we condemned to the midtable soup, hunting desperately for 40 points every August, whatever funds we have available, or can the right owner really kick us on to another level. If so, how high can we go? Stoke? Everton? Tottenham? Liverpool? Higher......?

I would be lying if I said I hadn't allowed my mind to wander and create visions of our great club at the top of the Premier League and competing against Europe's best, with 40,000 fans turning up each week, in our newly extended Hawthorns.

Is this realistic? Probably not, but who cares, let's allow ourselves to dream, it's what being a Baggies fan is all about. ;D

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Dare to Dream.......?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
Winning a cup and getting into the Europa is about as far as I can dream
Twitter: @floydy1983

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
I can't think of any scenario which would be better than pipping the dingles to promotion and turning round an eleven point deficit.

Maybe winning the league on the last day of the season like Man City and that Agueroooooo moment.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »
We are more than capable of winning the League Cup or FA Cup when playing our best available team and having some luck with the draw. Regarding the league I don't think we'll finish higher then we did under Steve Clarke when he guided us to 8th.
the regime don't like it man

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
We are more than capable of winning the League Cup or FA Cup when playing our best available team and having some luck with the draw. Regarding the league I don't think we'll finish higher then we did under Steve Clarke when he guided us to 8th.
Not even with the 9th richest selfmade bloke on Earth in charge? :D

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
On the back of potential new owners especially rumoured will create more supporters, known as the glory hunters . 35.000 stadium minimum , waiting list for season tickets and in Europe within 3 years

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 01:53:48 PM »
Maybe winning the league on the last day of the season like Man City and that Agueroooooo moment.

Even I went mental celebrating that and it wasn't even my club!

But it's pretty much fact that we are going to get nowhere near the top of the tree without a huge amount of money. Just the sad way the game has gone. I just want to see us reach a cup final.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

I agree although the big boys are now taking a bit more interest in the cups now than they were for the past few years. Getting into the Europa League should be a realistic aim for us.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
I think that realistically the best we can ever hope for would be to get on par with a club such as Tottenham. ;D
The worst... I just don't want to go there. :(

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
Soton, have an owner with £billions,  cash alone is no guarantee of glory.

To answer the OP
I dream of being recognised across the country as the biggest, best club in the Midlands, usurping Vile by playing attractive and progressive football.
For my son and my grand kids to be looked at as fortunate to be Baggies a club who have retained their traditions but been successful !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 02:56:31 PM »

I admire your positivity lately mate i really do but i dont share the same view, Although we can any club can you need to have something special going on at your club to achieve it, We had a fantastic chance under mowbray maybe the best we will ever get and unfortunately we blew it. Its about having a winning mentality as dim tim put it as well as a combination of other factors, I would love to be proved wrong as at the age of 23 seeing England or Albion win a trophy will mean i die a happy man i question the mindsets at both to achieve that ultimate feat unfortunately.

All that being said i dont blame either club or country anymore to be honest the players are on such ridiculous wages that to them its unecessary game time, Money has killed the hunger.

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
I don't see why we couldnt do what Southampton have done...I think this is as far as we could go though!

Be around the top 8, have a good go at Cup competitions...I think thats something I would be more than happy with!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »
Realistically. Top 10 finish every season and decent cup runs.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »
Should it be Chinese owners we get, the thing that i dream of is our brand becomes global, millions in the far east knew of us in 78, but the premier league was long away. The premier league is very big in the far east but we are a fading memory.
Chinese owners would reignite that memory, and also make us more appealing to Asian people around Smethwick, handsworth and West Brom to the youngsters who follow Man U, Chelsea etc.

My dream is quite simple, forget cups and europe for now, concentrate on making West Bromwich Albion an household name and a world brand. Make us appealing to new signings and local fans, and stop us from being last on MOTD every week.  ;)

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 03:38:09 PM »
Should it be Chinese owners we get, the thing that i dream of is our brand becomes global, millions in the far east knew of us in 78, but the premier league was long away. The premier league is very big in the far east but we are a fading memory.
Chinese owners would reignite that memory, and also make us more appealing to Asian people around Smethwick, handsworth and West Brom to the youngsters who follow Man U, Chelsea etc.

My dream is quite simple, forget cups and europe for now, concentrate on making West Bromwich Albion an household name and a world brand. Make us appealing to new signings and local fans, and stop us from being last on MOTD every week.  ;)

I think that is key. OK so we are kind of established at this level but we still can't seem to compete with the majority of clubs when it comes to signing new players. I don't think it is all down to money either as we've seen the purse strings relaxed where wages are concerned over the last couple of years. If we were a more attractive club I reckon we'd have been able to entice either Gignac or Ba here. I think new ownership can really raise our profile.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »
I'd like to see us be the best we can without having a team of mercenaries.
I despise the likes of Man City, Man U, Chelsea et al, not becuase they are successful but because they attract the biggest bunch of tossers calling themselves 'loyal fans' in the country. Its dead easy to follow a team that buys trophies.
A cup or two and a top 10 finish is not beyond the realms of possibility with the current set up.
I'm not sure if I'd look forward to seeing Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero turning up to have medicals at the training ground.
We are what we are and we know what we are, as the song says.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
I can't think of any scenario which would be better than pipping the dingles to promotion and turning round an eleven point deficit.

Beating the Vile in both domestic Cup Finals, then thrashing them on the last day of the League season to send them down on goal difference may eclipse even that one for me.
If only Carlsberg did football season's.
Viler w@nker's.
 8).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:10:08 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
Some good points here, I would also like to have more than one player who could play at a higher level, others have said same sought of thing, When we was hot in this league we had players like lukaku, mozza, Gera, mulumbu all playing at the top of there games as well as good wing play by JT and deserved to guide us to eighth with our current squad we are quite a way off matching that, A long way if I am being honest.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »

Would be great to create such a brand and be recognised around the world.
I watched Arsenal vs Albion in the Gambia a few years back. All the locals had Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea tops on, but when I walked in with my Baggies top on they asked who I supported! I pointed out to a gang in Arsenal tops that I was their opposition for the night, they had no clue. We had a great night in the end and they really loved their football, but their knowledge of anyone outside the top 5 was virtually non-existant.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
Some good points here, I would also like to have more than one player who could play at a higher level, others have said same sought of thing, When we was hot in this league we had players like lukaku, mozza, Gera, mulumbu all playing at the top of there games as well as good wing play by JT and deserved to guide us to eighth with our current squad we are quite a way off matching that, A long way if I am being honest.

Agreed. The squad has regressed considerably over the last 2 years. We had several 'matchwinners' in Lukaku, Odemwingie, Gera that have never been replaced. Our main core of Mozza, Brunt, Olsson and Mulumbu have declined. Recruitment has been awful and instead of building gradually on what we had we now require serious work on the playing squad because of the mistakes we've made. I really can't see things improving this summer either sadly despite TP having more say in who he wants. We need to start thinking longer term too. We've made too many short term decisions like offering contracts to the likes of Reid and McAuley instead of bringing in younger replacements.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »
......but their knowledge of anyone outside the top 5 was virtually non-existant.

You could say pretty much the same for a small army of Sky subscription modern day plastics who spout their 'knowledge' to anyone who will listen down the pub or in the work place.

Obviously, I do NOT extend this to those fine people who use football forums............ :D ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »
A decent straight forward transfer window....or have I gone too far??  :P
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »
Remember Chelsea were pretty much a nothing team before abramovic took over them, London was the only attraction

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
Remember Chelsea were pretty much a nothing team before abramovic took over them, London was the only attraction

Not really, in the 5 years before they had won about 6 trophies and runner up in a couple.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
For me its all about enjoying going to matches. To be honest I've been getting more and more bored and frustrated over the last two seasons. I want to see the atmosphere returned to the Hawthorns more than anything else. Its always been a special place when we've been playing for something, even avoiding relegation! But recently its been dull, dull, dull.
So, I hope we can get back to people being excited at what they're watching. Oh, and don't start me about the fascist stewards!