Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 724893 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1925 on: May 13, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
It will be in a few minutes time  :D

Oh thank God.

Ray Hughton.

Edit - It works  ;) ;D

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1926 on: May 13, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
Oh thank God.

Ray Hughton.

Edit - It works  ;) ;D

We're buggered if he gets the job and we sign a player named H oughton though  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1927 on: May 13, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
There are better managers out there than Hughton, but there are also alot worse. His sides always come across as well drilled and positive, if not exactly free flowing entertainers. And if some of Brighton's buys haven't come off, whose fault is that? Isn't Dan Ashworth in charge of recruitment?
At the end of the day, we have to find someone who can improve and build the team within our budget. A definition of a good manager is someone who can build on and improve the material at his disposal. I would be happy enough with Hughton.

And if people are only worried about spelling his name right, then I'll take that for building a more successful team.  :)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1928 on: May 13, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
Can we keep Tony Pulis discussion in the Pulis thread please

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=15324.msg660677;boardseen#new

In the very unlikely event he is linked with us to become next manager then it can go in here but until then please use the other.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:58:09 PM by MarkW »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1929 on: May 13, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
Don't worry the management team will be looking at many exciting, innovative and most of all cheap candidates for manager and will come down on … Appleton?

Pity about Potter, we could have got him in had we been decision before the start of last season.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1930 on: May 13, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
Chris Hughton ? it's a no from me
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1931 on: May 13, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »
Gutted was going to post big thesis on the best ROI central midfielders of the last 40 years.  :'(
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1932 on: May 13, 2019, 05:55:21 PM »
Gutted was going to post big thesis on the best ROI central midfielders of the last 40 years.  :'(
I can think of a few excellent ones, but I wouldn't want any of them to be our next manager

Plastic Paddy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1933 on: May 13, 2019, 07:30:43 PM »
I honestly cant see past Appleton.

I suspect you are right. Darren Moore was sacked on 9 March however Michael Appleton wasn't appointed as Coach until 26 April (almost 7 weeks later) despite being out of work and only started after the Rotherham game. I imagine this is so MA can assess the players before being officially confirmed as Head Coach after the play offs?

I can't think of any other reason why (A) Shan would wait this long to approach him or (B) Why MA would take a "coaching" role for 3 or 4 games!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1934 on: May 13, 2019, 08:59:07 PM »
Looks like the other Albion are in for Potter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48252290

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1935 on: May 13, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »
The next incumbent has not only got to be a good coach but savvy with a clear plan of how he wants to go about things and have a keen eye for a bargain player from either here or abroad . Personally I think the club has some kind of fixation with Appleton and instead of being creative and thinking outside the box will appoint him knowing he is hardly likely to rock the boat at any point . 

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1936 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:50 PM »
I know I've said I think we need someone without Albion connections but what about Micky Mellon now at Tranmere, 3 play offs in 3 years, a mix bag of players but knocking it about nicely at FGR with a few long range strikes thrown in - maybe an outside shout especially if we're looking at a cheap option and recruiting cheap from the lower leagues  8)
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1937 on: May 13, 2019, 09:34:21 PM »
Has Appleton ever achieved a thing in coaching or management? Does he have a reputation for any style of play? McIness is the same, that Aberdeen side are atrocious.

It completely baffles me how he gets linked every time. Can we just go out and get a good manager who wants to play in a clear and (relatively) positive way?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1938 on: May 13, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »
Has Appleton ever achieved a thing in coaching or management? Does he have a reputation for any style of play? McIness is the same, that Aberdeen side are atrocious.

It completely baffles me how he gets linked every time. Can we just go out and get a good manager who wants to play in a clear and (relatively) positive way?

I would sooner have Clarke back here than McInnes if you had to take a manager from Scotland.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1939 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »

Last permanent managerial job was with Oxford. 45% win rate and 2 cup finals. McKinnes' time at Aberdeen 56% win rate and 3 cup finals.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:35:18 PM by timdon »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1940 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »
I cannot see how Hughton is bad and or good as I think I seen argued on this thread compared to Monk. Two Coaches with very similar outlooks (generally negative) and neither could be argued to represent ambition whatever that means in the context of this appointment. Neither will fundamentally change anything (although not sure any coach will) but both play the sort of pragmatic football which might be best described as "Old School British"

Both are the sort of regressive short term fix which might lead to promotion but as soon as we reach the Premier League will quickly settle back into the 40 point grind until fans get fed up with watching it or it fails and we are back where we started.

I would hope for someone a little bit more progressive in their approach.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1941 on: May 14, 2019, 01:43:17 AM »
 ;) Hughton has gone around the blocks a few times...looks a bit stressed out...needs a holiday. Great Championship manager though.

I personally would be happy with Monk...think he can do a reasonable job.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1942 on: May 14, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
Hughton may have been a good shout last year but apparently he spent a lot of money on 3 strikers who have only scored a total of 4 goals and he has reverted to Pulis tactics.
One of our best managers was Big Ron who we plucked from Cambridge United so would Ryan Lowe of Bury be a good shout?
Bury have been promoted each of the last two seasons and he was voted manager of the season for league 2.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1943 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:09 AM »
British coaches: Pearson, Mowbray, Monk.
Foreign coaches: Bilic, Jokanovic

Either go safeish or pluck a manager from lower league and see if they can step up.

Who know's with this board?
One think we do know is that the next manager will be appointed with the purse strings being the primary consideration.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1944 on: May 14, 2019, 08:39:28 AM »
British coaches: Pearson, Mowbray, Monk.
Foreign coaches: Bilic, Jokanovic

Either go safeish or pluck a manager from lower league and see if they can step up.

Who know's with this board?
One think we do know is that the next manager will be appointed with the purse strings being the primary consideration.
Mickey Mellon? How many promotions now with Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Tranmere? Surprised he hasn't had a shot higher up yet. He was being spoken about on Talksport this morning, a lot of what he has done has gone under the radar.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1945 on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:53 AM »
Mickey Mellon? How many promotions now with Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Tranmere? Surprised he hasn't had a shot higher up yet. He was being spoken about on Talksport this morning, a lot of what he has done has gone under the radar.

There are quite a few decent managers in the lower leagues who often work on a shoe string budget yet still achieve promotion etc. The Cowley Brothers, Micky Mellon, Paul Tisdale, Lee Bowyer etc are all people i'd look at. Give me one of those any day over Allardyce, Moyes etc
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1946 on: May 14, 2019, 08:53:10 AM »
The club needs a shake-up, a change in the way it goes about things on and off the pitch. Yet it's clear from a lot of the suggestions here that a lot of people want to continue the malaise - just going for people who were here before will do that, no matter how long they've been gone. Part of the issue with Clarke for example, was that he couldn't turn it around when things went bad.

If we're going to be functioning on a lower budget we need to think long term, appoint our own Farke, or Cowley, or whoever. Don't just go 'we need to get promotion this season' and proceed to handicap ourselves every step of the way as we have done this year.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1947 on: May 14, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
Swansea given permission for Brighton to talk to Potter so that's one off the 'list'
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1948 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
Swansea given permission for Brighton to talk to Potter so that's one off the 'list'

Having a look on twitter, a lot of Swansea fans believed they would have probably been relegated this year if it wasn't for Potter. Thought of highly by their fans.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1949 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
I don't understand how anybody can advocate for a serial failure like Monk instead of Hughton who has got promotions under his belt.

Just because Monk is younger doesn't make him better.

I don't know who was in charge of recruitment at BHA, but scoring goals was a problem for them, and it is always hard to find a good, consistent scorer when you are in the prem.

He bought the Dutch league top scorer and failed, but pochetinno bought the similar vincent jansson for a similar price but he's a genius.

You are only as good as as your strikers when you are in the prem.

If he can come in and organise us and get us up we can look at it then, but he's easily the best realistic candidate out there.