Author Topic: What will we be left with?  (Read 38670 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

What will we be left with?
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
Some will say it's too early but I really am resigned to relegation now, along with 80% who voted on another thread, so, what will we be left with come August?
I think Foster, Evans, Gibbs, Hegazi, Greg, Chadli, Phillips, Rondon, Rodriguez and Sturridge will all go which would leave us with:

Myhill
Nyom
Dawson
Gabr
Brunt
Morrison
Yacob
Barry
Field
Burke
Robson Kanu

Scary isn't it? Massive rebuild required.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: What will we be left with?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
most if not all of the squad are over paid championship player`s with have to admit it great agents who have conned club. Position in league rarely lies and this lot have been found out,id be more worried that we wont be able to get rid of this pooh

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 02:39:53 PM »
If Rondon (£20m), Hegazi (£15m), Evans (£3m), Chadli (£18m), Foster (£5m), Gibbs (£10m), Rodriguez (£20m), Phillips (£10m) are all sold then thats more than £100m + parachute payments and 50% flex down in all remaining players contracts. Enought to finance a new championship winning team.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:41:24 PM by HampshireBaggie »

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
What people need to bear in mind is that players won't just simply leave, we've been in this position before and we dont have to sell in relegation happens. Players will only be sold if the deal is right and that means paying PL level transfer fees.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
What people need to bear in mind is that players won't just simply leave, we've been in this position before and we dont have to sell in relegation happens. Players will only be sold if the deal is right and that means paying PL level transfer fees.
but maybe club should get rid as majority are not good enough, Foster would be the only one id like to keep

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Still a massive ask though to rebuild on that scale and, if ffp is screwing us now, it will cripple us in the champ which means we may have to sell cheap just to clear the wage bill.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:58:50 PM »
dont worry, we'll still have Hal

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 02:59:33 PM »
Can’t see Foster leaving, think he’s happy playing for us and living where he lives with his family. Not sure there is anyone who would come in for him who will tempt him.

Gibbs and Evans are nailed on to go, the others might not get the interest you’d expect.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 03:02:16 PM »
dont worry, we'll still have Hal
who were the mugs who signed this muppet hang your heads in shame.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »
Can’t see Foster leaving, think he’s happy playing for us and living where he lives with his family. Not sure there is anyone who would come in for him who will tempt him.

Gibbs and Evans are nailed on to go, the others might not get the interest you’d expect.
Wolves, Leicester or Villa if they get up.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 03:04:51 PM »

Doubt Foster would go to Wolves. Leicester have Schmeichel and Villa have Johnstone who they rate highly.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
Think our players would get less interest than you think.

Evans
Chadli
Rondon
Gibbs

About it

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »
Think our players would get less interest than you think.

Evans
Chadli
Rondon
Gibbs

About it
about right for me .

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »
If Rondon (£20m), Hegazi (£15m), Evans (£3m), Chadli (£18m), Foster (£5m), Gibbs (£10m), Rodriguez (£20m), Phillips (£10m) are all sold then thats more than £100m + parachute payments and 50% flex down in all remaining players contracts. Enought to finance a new championship winning team.

I think you're about the only person on here that understands this. We'll be fine if we go down, our club is not a basket case like Hull/Sunderland/Blackburn etc. We have zero debt. We will be one of the highest spenders in the Championship, we will be one of the big draws for good Championship players who are looking for a route to the PL and we will have a good starting base of players because there are only 3-4 in our current squad who will definitely not drop to Championship level. FFP won't affect us because our wage bill will drop significantly, and in any case FFP is not as stringent in the Championship as it is in the PL.

If we go down, the only reasons we won't come straight back up are if we have a poor manager or if our summer recruitment is poor.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 04:58:48 PM »
You can't be sure any money parachute or otherwise will go back into the playing side - this is Albion remember lol
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 05:07:37 PM »
Leicester won’t bother as they have Schmeichel, Villa will probably buy Johnstone after his loan and Wolves will presumably be looking at more Mendes clients.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
Stoke almost certain to lose Butland. Foster will not play Championship football.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
You can't be sure any money parachute or otherwise will go back into the playing side - this is Albion remember lol

The current owner has spent everything he can up to the FFP wage limit so I don't think that is a fair comment, the fact it's been spent on ageing British dross as opposed to quality younger players from abroad is not his fault.

If Lai doesn't spend the parachute money to get us promoted then he's lost £100m from his investment, so I think he will do the maths. 

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 05:13:48 PM »
Stoke almost certain to lose Butland. Foster will not play Championship football.

Stoke could very well be in the Championship with us.

Foster will be 35 in the summer, I'm certain he will be with us regardless next season.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 06:15:41 PM »
Ditch the manager and majority of playing staff and start over. So far we have won 3 league games. This proves they aren’t that great anyway.
Greg and Sturridge will go back to their teams.
I’d shift (if I could): Myhill, Yacob, McAuley, HRK, McLean, Livermore, Nyom, Rondon, Morrison.
I’d reluctantly get rid of (rather keep but maybe hard): Evans, Gibbs, Phillips, Chadli.
Left with: Foster, Dawson, Hegazi (although bigger teams will want him), Barry, Burke, Harper, Brunt, Field, JRod. (I have probably missed people but this is off the top of my head).

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »
We'll be left with a totally demoralised bunch of no-hopers with no experience of the championship and no clue of whats needed to get out of the championship. In short I can see us struggling in that league with EVERY team out to beat us seeing us as their cup final.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 06:39:08 PM »
We'll be left with a totally demoralised bunch of no-hopers with no experience of the championship and no clue of whats needed to get out of the championship. In short I can see us struggling in that league with EVERY team out to beat us seeing us as their cup final.
Nah, Villa are every teams cup final in that division and they won't be going up.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »
Foster will not be leaving us.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 06:01:01 AM »
 :-X I cant bring myself to think about it....in too much shock....the blokes we have have got to find something in them to get 6 wins out of the next 12 matches

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »
Whatever happens there is a fairly big rebuild job next season regardless of which division we are in the only thing that is strictly triggered by relegation is the release clauses in 4 players contracts (Evans plus maybe Chadli,Gibbs,Rondon or Rodriguez?)

Overlay those on loan or out of contract the aging squad and the turnover gets massive.

Keepers

Foster - I think we keep him wants to stay in the Midlands is fairly loyal only left Blues because they literally could not afford to pay him. Will not move to Wolves because Mendes does not earn from the deal.

Myhill Out of contract gone

Defenders

Dawson will stay contracted to 2020 way better than average Champ level
Nyom stays okay at Championship level
Evans Gone almost regardless of Division
Hegazi Stays unless he has a stellar world cup wages not a problem
Gabir On loan with option to buy no idea about this one whatever we end up paying him will still be a lot more than he would earn in Eygypt so could keep him
Gibbs Guessing release clause gone
McAuley Out of contract probably gone we might squeeze one last season out of him at Champ level but we shouldn't

Midfield

Yacob out of contract with option but time to let him go regardless
Livermore contracted to 2021 sorry but he stays
Barry Out of contract with option in the clubs favour even on half pay no
Krychowiak Gone
Brunt Out of contract but with option which triggers automatically based on appearances given his length of service if he had an offer from elsewhere think the club would let him leave but on balance stays
Morrison Out of contract with option given injuries and age we shouldn't
Field Contract to 2021 stays
Chadli Likely to have a release clause gone
Phillips contracted to 2020 should crush the Championship but didn't at QPR he stays
McClean Going into the last year of his contract won't be picked up by anyone else although at half wages could be priced in for a move to MLS or Celtic, no he won't he stays
Burke Stays not going to get a move elsewhere at Champ level could be a major contributor

Attackers
Sturridge Gone
Robson-Kanu Stays sigh
Rondon Release clause gone
Rodriguez If he has release clause gone but can't have one if Chadli,Rondon & Gibbs have them so suspect he stays.

Going through the squad a lot of the changes happen regardless of the Division a relegation might extend 1 or 2 Albion careers for players but by and large it shouldn't

On the one hand we don't have a lot of players on big wages that we can't unload we don't have a Jack Rodwell but neither do we have a ready made squad which would obviously bounce straight back. We have a nucleus which if we could add the right players to we would be in a good position to tackle the Championship. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in the club hierarchy to manage that.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.