Author Topic: Craig Gardner moves to Birmingham City  (Read 270635 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Craig Gardner
« Reply #850 on: October 12, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
Awful footballer awful decision. Typical Albion  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #851 on: October 12, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »
I'm agreeing with Jacko.

Rubbish footballer. Rubbish decision.

He's someone we should really be looking to improve on.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #852 on: October 12, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »
He does a job for us, I suppose.  Today's John Trewick.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #853 on: October 12, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
Good honest pro and never lets us down.  Versatile and hard working, a must for any squad. 

He wont start often unless injuries but I can imagine he would set a good example to the young lads.

Is all that worthy of a 2 year contract.  I think so.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #854 on: October 12, 2016, 09:45:48 PM »
I don't think it's a terrible decision, he's been ok for us - perhaps he gets too much stick at times. I understand against Sunderland he probably lost us the win, but equally he will get us a few points this season too with his set-piece assists and he always gets a few goals.

Worst case scenario with him is if he barely plays until the end of the season, in which case I'd be pretty confident there would be a host of Championship clubs in for him whow ould then have to pay us a transfer fee. Overall I'm not too bothered.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #855 on: October 12, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »
No problem with him and love his attitude, but his lack of quality means I would not have renewed his contract, he was a means to an end and we need to be looking for better now.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #856 on: October 12, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
Sadly I think this points to Pulis staying for the season, maybe beyond.

I think it's doubtful a footballing director, not pushed by a manager would sign such a player at this stage in their career.

Yacob, according to the papers is now getting £60kpw, so what's Gardner getting? £45kpw? Robbery... I'm not blaming the lad, more fool Albion!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #857 on: October 12, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
Awful decision. Conned a living out of football. A disgrace to the players past who wore the no 8 shirt

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #858 on: October 12, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »
Regardless of how good or bad Gardner is, whether or not he gets a contract extension should be the decision of whoever's going to be our manager next season. If that isn't Pulis, then the next incumbent is increasingly going to find himself hamstrung by having players at the club that he may not want and will have to hope that another club comes in that's willing to pay a fee for them. That approach has always worked well for us hasn't it.....

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #859 on: October 12, 2016, 10:19:13 PM »
Regardless of how good or bad Gardner is, whether or not he gets a contract extension should be the decision of whoever's going to be our manager next season. If that isn't Pulis, then the next incumbent is increasingly going to find himself hamstrung by having players at the club that he may not want and will have to hope that another club comes in that's willing to pay a fee for them. That approach has always worked well for us hasn't it.....

It is.....
Baggie in Southampton

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #860 on: October 12, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
A pooh James Milner, decent squad player. Probably should be doing better but okay as a second back up to multiple positions.

Jimbo Baggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #861 on: October 12, 2016, 11:02:51 PM »
I hope to god he doesn't start in place of Fletcher Saturday

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #862 on: October 12, 2016, 11:12:25 PM »
He must realise he's not going to get a starting spot especially as I'd bet we will be signing more of the Chadli, Rondon, Evans quality of player in the next 2 years. He's obviously happy to fight for a place while knowing he's got his work cut out.

We have a certain core to our squad that other clubs don't have, players who are a unit on and off the field. Firstly Brunt, Morrison, Olsson , then Foster, McAuley, Fletcher, Dawson, Gardner. Villa wouldn't be where they are if they'd had a similar identity in their squad the last couple of years.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #863 on: October 12, 2016, 11:32:46 PM »
It is.....
I really hope you're wrong.......

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #864 on: October 12, 2016, 11:54:14 PM »
Don't get this at all. It is poor squad management on the part of the club Gardner is the sort of player that can be let go to free up wages to improve the squad or give an opportunity to a younger player with potential.

Gardner isn't as terrible as some paint him but he isn't first choice and will have been here three years by the end of the season which is enough for a journeyman pro who is content to be a squad player.

Unfortunately this does have Pulis' fingerprints all over it.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #865 on: October 13, 2016, 05:17:30 AM »
Seems we are all a bit divided with our opinions on this then  ;)

Personally I don't have an issue with the player. You cannot deny his enthusiasm and commitment, and as others have said it would be nice to see that in a few other 'Billy Big Boots' we have [well, one actually]. He is a squad player at best, and has unfortunately become the player that TP brings on to indicate 'lockdown'.

What concerns me is the clubs signalled intention here. We have given a squad filler a two year contract. 'E's a good lad and works aaard' and all that, but is that it? We will be putting pension plans in place for some next.....

Not a good message from the Albion for me.........
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:21:05 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #866 on: October 13, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »
A rubbish James Milner, decent squad player. Probably should be doing better but okay as a second back up to multiple positions.
I think that's the key, he can play full back in an emergency and he will work hard, not bad back up generally.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #867 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »
I think that's the key, he can play full back in an emergency and he will work hard, not bad back up generally.
Indeed and he seems happy to be that emergency back up. Over the next two years I expect us to sign another 3 major players at least and hopefully we'll see further progress from Leko, Field and Wilson...and maybe one or two others breaking through.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #868 on: October 13, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
He does a job for us, I suppose.  Today's John Trewick.

John Trewick has the edge for me. i am has deflated as after watching England the other night if this is what we have to look forward too
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:27:34 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #869 on: October 13, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
Awful decision. Conned a living out of football. A disgrace to the players past who wore the no 8 shirt

Not that you're going over the top or anything......
I only go for the beer.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #870 on: October 13, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
Terrible decision, waste of another 40k a week for another two years. Nobody is going to bid for him, he's a squad filler, adds very little and isn't going to improve over time.

All he is good for his injuring people in the Brummie Road pre game with his shocking shooting practice.

This just about sums us up the Albion for me, no ambition, stagnant. These are the kind of players that need shifting on come the end of the season. Why we continue to reward them with new contracts is beyond me.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #871 on: October 13, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
Seems we are all a bit divided with our opinions on this then  ;)

Personally I don't have an issue with the player. You cannot deny his enthusiasm and commitment, and as others have said it would be nice to see that in a few other 'Billy Big Boots' we have [well, one actually]. He is a squad player at best, and has unfortunately become the player that TP brings on to indicate 'lockdown'.

What concerns me is the clubs signalled intention here. We have given a squad filler a two year contract. 'E's a good lad and works aaard' and all that, but is that it? We will be putting pension plans in place for some next.....

Not a good message from the Albion for me.........

I think you are spot on that the introduction of Gards indicates 'we protect what we have" but I would like to see some stats on how effective this approach is, my perception is that more often than not we lose points after Gardeners introduction, anyone got any data on this please.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:32:21 AM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #872 on: October 13, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »
I tend to agree with your perception Albionic........
MAGA!

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #873 on: October 13, 2016, 10:31:06 AM »
Really do fail to see how anyone can be happy about giving gardner an extra 2 years here.

With him our midfielders are yacob, morrison, gardner, phillips, brunt(although he's been used at the back), mclean, Mcmanaman, chadli, fletcher and leko

yet we have a striker who was just a free gamble, a striker who's out of form and probably don't have any future at this club..... and rondon...... shouldn't we be getting rid of half of this dead wood and focus on getting a goalscorer?! if rondon gets injured we are doomed, craig gardners hard work and great personality aint going to score us many goals.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #874 on: October 13, 2016, 10:34:21 AM »
Really do fail to see how anyone can be happy about giving gardner an extra 2 years here.

With him our midfielders are yacob, morrison, gardner, phillips, brunt(although he's been used at the back), mclean, Mcmanaman, chadli, fletcher and leko

yet we have a striker who was just a free gamble, a striker who's out of form and probably don't have any future at this club..... and rondon...... shouldn't we be getting rid of half of this dead wood and focus on getting a goalscorer?! if rondon gets injured we are doomed, craig gardners hard work and great personality aint going to score us many goals.

You forget we have the "secret striker" waiting on the bench.

Olsson
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!